The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When is the new Phase One camera coming out?

mmbma

I am sure a new camera is in the works, either P1 directly or from the Mamiya team. doesn't make sense if they are not doing it.

This is evident from the obvious patch up work on the DF+, the rumors, references; and recently, when P1 said they would offer investment protection on all of their new backs, but not on the DF+ camera. suggesting they are expecting significant depreciation on the bodies once the new one comes out. Timing wise might be a few months after the refresh of the Leaf backs.

I would love to see a waist level finder, smaller size, better build, faster AF, and long expo settings to match the capability of the IQ260. And in general, SEXIER looking please!

Dan Santoso

Dealers worldwide has been told about the new camera but it is still top secret. "Expect new technology you never expect in medium format camera", I was told.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The speed at which MF cameras are developed is so slow that I suspect it will be what ultimately kills the market off. I know too many photogs that got tired of their MF camera body "not having feature X, Y or Z available" that comes standard on a $200 P&S shirt-pocket camera. Many of them have given up waiting, sold out and moved to one of the current higher end DSLR's that have most of those desired features available. No the DSLR file isn't quite as good as the MF file, but it is pretty dang close and the usability is eons ahead of MF.

There, I said it out loud.

malmac

Jack

I was lured to Phase 1 with the promise of a new camera body.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles that a point and shoot camera has - I would like high quality auto focus (a inherent narrow depth of field makes that a must).

A more sophisticated exposure metering process would be an advantage.

A user interface which is as nice to use as the IQ backs are.

And able to accommodate the use of older Phase 1 digital backs.

I don't need a sexy looking body - just a competent well balanced tool.

Thanks you for reading my list

Mal

PS. About those high end, DSLR, I thought we might see a high resolution Canon in the 30+ range by now, but apparently it takes a long time for Canon to bring a new high end DSLR camera to the market place.

T.Karma

A new MF camera should not compete with redunant features.
What will never be redundant and is within the positives of MF is the size of the format. I would not get stuck on 645, but go up to 67 and even if it is "only" a 9 micron chip. Other, 135 format will always be ahead in features. It was never really any different in the film days.

Don Libby

I was about to pull out the CC for this little jewel until I had a conversation with someone else and was reminded of the new improved body that might be coming out later this year. While the thought of flying over top a herd of buffalo has merit I'd rather wait a bit more and see what comes out of P1.

So, until then I'll just sit back and :watch:

mmbma

I was about to pull out the CC for this little jewel until I had a conversation with someone else and was reminded of the new improved body that might be coming out later this year. While the thought of flying over top a herd of buffalo has merit I'd rather wait a bit more and see what comes out of P1.

So, until then I'll just sit back and :watch:
For everyone's easy viewing

Don Libby

Going off topic :OT:

I really really really (you get the point) want one of these before our next trip to Jackson Hole. I have visions of flying over a buffalo or elk or moose herd and skimming along the Snake River near Oxbow Bend. Not entirely certain how the Park Rangers feel about it but then again what they don't know won't cause me to get a ticket.....

kdphotography

Don,

I don't know the load capacity on that 'copter, but I think Ken should try it first.

Steve
Sure, hold my beer....I'll try it. :D

I think that little yellow box on the B&H listing was made for me and Don, particularly the last part of the paragraph: "Failure to use product responsibly may result in loss, damage, or injury."

:ROTFL:

Stefan Steib

I am pretty sure if they are working on it (IF - they are) then it MUST be connected to a future CMOS Back and Live View- AK an Electronic Viewfinder. Then they can do a mirrorless body (which already exists in form of the Industrial bodies) preventing mirror slap and making the whole camera actually cheaper and faster.

So if there is CMOS - there is a new Body.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Shashin

The camera will come out tomorrow. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, the camera will come out. I love you, tomorrow.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
well, Phase One certainly has plans for it, as well as plans for cmos based MFDB's. In LuLa's interview with Phase's CEO he certainly indicated it was coming, especially the camera.

I don't think the MF shooters are that envious of all the bells and whistles, heck I don't use them even when I shoot my d800. Still everything on manual, including focus most of the time. now a cmos back, that's what I really would like to see happen.

malmac

Just a question for those technical folk.

If they build a new camera which matches in with a new back with a CMOS chip, does that mean the new camera will not work with the old CCD chip backs?

I am assuming that Phase One will stay with the open system approach and not build a Leicaesque CMOS chipped integrated camera.

Mal

Dustbak

Not as sexy and a bit more expensive but...
really really nice but does it do video too? ;)

If P1 is coming with a new body and if it has the ability to be just as computer controlled as the H I would most definitely be interested in upgrading towards it...