The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotografz

Gary,

That is a great picture...film stands tall against digital. If only one did not have to listen to the sweet slow sound of the scanner.

I cannot imagine what would happen if that plow met a Caribou. Hate to be the one assigned to cleanup!

I will try to pull together some 67s scans later this weekend ... I need to look for the DVDs in the safe. I bought a blueray burner a couple of months ago but have not even started the process of moving files to the larger disks. Extensis Portfolio is in the application folder but I am waiting for monsoon season to start that process. Dallas does not get many monsoons so it may be a while.

Bob
Bob, for the price of a MF digital back one can secure a high resolurtion scanner that is done before you can load the next film ... just look for a used Imacon 949 : -)

jlm

Workshop Member
another, same vintage; these were with a TOYO 4x5, Schneider 210 Symmar, tri-x, scanned on Epson 700 today, 32 years later!

jlm

Workshop Member
one more...bob's shot of the grain elevators put me in the wayback machine; another from 1976, 90mm SuperAngulon

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Marc,

I am sure that the 949 would be phenomenal...I have one of the last 343s and just love the results but cannot imagine how nice the speed and peltier cooling of the 949 would be.

I am afraid that with the acquisition of the H3DII I have a long list of things that preclude any 949 for quite a while. I need to exercise the discipline to gear up for MF film...it is more like an adventure these days, however a very good one. I travel with MF film and a small Canon P&S digital so I tend to scan in batches.

Once I absorb the costs of my desired 50-100 HC, 300 HC, H2F and Alpa TC I may need to rethink the 949 or X5 ( used of course ).

This past couple of weeks has been windy - a median of 15 mph with gusts to 20 mph and a couple of days with gusts to 50 mph during storms. I need to find some interiors to shoot because nothing outside is still enough if you want any DOF.

Bob

woodyspedden

Marc,

I am sure that the 949 would be phenomenal...I have one of the last 343s and just love the results but cannot imagine how nice the speed and peltier cooling of the 949 would be.

I am afraid that with the acquisition of the H3DII I have a long list of things that preclude any 949 for quite a while. I need to exercise the discipline to gear up for MF film...it is more like an adventure these days, however a very good one. I travel with MF film and a small Canon P&S digital so I tend to scan in batches.

Once I absorb the costs of my desired 50-100 HC, 300 HC, H2F and Alpa TC I may need to rethink the 949 or X5 ( used of course ).

This past couple of weeks has been windy - a median of 15 mph with gusts to 20 mph and a couple of days with gusts to 50 mph during storms. I need to find some interiors to shoot because nothing outside is still enough if you want any DOF.

Bob
While at the FOTO 3 show in Fort Collins today I had the chance to shoot the
H3DII with the 50-100 lens. Lovely combination but man is that a big and heavy lens! Pictures don't do it justice.......you have to hold it to believe it. Not an easy hand holding object. JMHO

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I know that there is probably some great exotic MF lenses out there. But, I'm feeling very good about the standard Mamiya 80/2.8 lens.

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
That's a great capture. As far as lenses go I've been doing a little testing on my kit and the 80mm is no slouch. Holds it's own very, very well, and I think that's true of the Mamiya as well.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This lens is actually being replaced with a new D lens. Graham a while back all the MF shots from Carmel are with the 80 since that is all i had search ZD I think . I think I posted some crops than with the ZD. I'm without this lens at the moment waiting for the new one.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Graham,

I've had flat-out sharper lenses over the years, but this does a nice all-around job. I'm not a great methodology guy, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. But, since you asked, here's one from a few days ago. This is handheld at f8 and ISO 200 from a bit of a distance. I'm certain that I'd end up with more detail with a tripod. I've turned off the sharpening in C1 ... although it does sharpen up nicely with a bit of C1 fine tuning.

First, the full image ...

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Graham,

Yes, that shot was with the lens at 2.8. Here's a 100% crop with all of the sliders turned to 0 in C1. ISO 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.