Site Sponsors
Page 110 of 386 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,500 of 19289

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Yesterday I learned that even the oddest of circumstances may result in interesting images. For instance this one. I received and installed an acetat overlay with crop lines for my zd back. So I wanted to check whether those crop lines are accurate and did a few tethered shots of my father while he was looking at the screen.

Mamiya AF 80mm - 1/60s - f 2,8 - ISO 400

Max

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Max,

Where did you get the acetate overlay that you mentioned? The Mamiya checker pattern with ZD guidelines is crazily expensive.

Thanks.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    A truly wonderful series Jack. You really got the feel of this piece of history.

The B&W conversion is very sensitive and conveys the mood well. I've not investigated it's possibilities yet. Is it possible to give some ball-park figures and indication of which are the key controls please?

Many thanks

Baxter
    Each camera will have it's own response personality, so the initial WB and camera profile, exposure and saturation settings will affect the conversion result to some degree. With that said to the B&W tool itself:

It has two basic control areas. The first is the color response sliders, which translates to filtration in traditional B&W film parlance. Here you'll need to experiment and find a set of values that works for your camera AND the type of image you are working, but I chose a basic yellow filter, by pumping up yellow, red and green somewhat less, and then dialing down cyan and blue (minus blue) to taste. The second tool is the split-tone tool itself. Fortunately, this is easier. Here you simply choose a tone and saturation for the for the highlights and shadows and experiment. I went with a sepia in the 32 to 38 range, and then varied densities for the highlights and shadows until I found a balance I liked. Try 5 or 6 for highlights and 10 or 12 for shadows. Once you have one you like, save it. I have tweaked my original one dozens of times getting it dialed in and ended up saving two iterations that I liked best.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant Jack I'll give it a go tomorrow with some pictures I'm wanting to convert.

I'm primarily using a P45+, so expect it will be similar to your figures.

Could be timely as Nik have just touted for more cash with SEP2 which doesn't seem to offer too many new things (borders looks interesting and it might not keep quitting as it does at present with P45+ files with control points) for what I think is a hefty upgrade price.

Thanks again

Baxter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnia View Post
    Max,

Where did you get the acetate overlay that you mentioned? The Mamiya checker pattern with ZD guidelines is crazily expensive.

Thanks.

Mark
    I got it from dtek systems which is an official P1 dealer located in the UK. If you aren't from Europe you might just ask your local dealer.
    BTW it's not an official ZD Back overlay. It's actually for the P25+/P45+ but this app. one millimeter difference in sensor size doesn't really matter. Nevertheless it's pretty helpful.

Max

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, Xpixel! rem

Post Thanks / Like

45mm / 15s / f 22

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Max, I like both your "dark" portrait and the evening(?) shot of the train and motorway! Great lines in motorway, and the bit of graffiti provides a perfect point of interest.

My only comment on the dark portrait would be maybe decrease contrast a bit for web -- unfortunately one problem with converting from a larger working space to sRGB jpeg for web, is you can loose shadows and highlights if they're at the bleeding edge to begin with -- and it appears both happened slightly in this shot. Otherwise,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKißler View Post
    I got it from dtek systems which is an official P1 dealer located in the UK. If you aren't from Europe you might just ask your local dealer.
    BTW it's not an official ZD Back overlay. It's actually for the P25+/P45+ but this app. one millimeter difference in sensor size doesn't really matter. Nevertheless it's pretty helpful.

Max
    Thanks, Max. I'll get in touch with them.

I must congratulate you on making the humble ZD back look like a Phase One/Leaf Aptus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind words Jack and Sarnia. Regarding the portrait shot I'm still unsure whether my screen's settings are correctly adjusted. Each time I print an imag in BW it appears to become lighter than intended while printing in colour matches perfectly...

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I learned that even the oddest of circumstances may result in interesting images. For instance this one. I received and installed an acetat overlay with crop lines for my zd back. So I wanted to check whether those crop lines are accurate and did a few tethered shots of my father while he was looking at the screen.

Mamiya AF 80mm - 1/60s - f 2,8 - ISO 400

Max
    Max, I really like the tonality of this (especially the glowing highlights with detail in them—your dad looks around the same age as me, and therefore shows signs of life lived!).

I would additionally try to pull a bit more detail out of the coat, though. Big areas of black always have me peering into the shadows ... BTW, what are you using to process your files?

Interesting that the ZD does 400 so well here (it has a bad rep for high sensitivities), but I did note some vertical patterning in the grey background (though not as bad as I got from my Pentax K10 at 1600).

Nearly bought a ZD back several times until I got my Aptus 22, which I haven’t tried over 200 — C1 does a good job of noise smoothing at that sensitivity.

Still looking for a ZD though, thinking it would be good for IR work with the user-removeable cutoff filter.

Ian G.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ian,

I am using Lightroom 3 to process my files. I really like LR exept for its file management system which I don't find too useful (yet)... However this particular image was shot as jpeg, only for the sake of testing those crop lines I mentioned. I avoid shooting jpeg normally. Then I used PS to convert it to black & white. I managed to reduce noise a little bit by adjusting the bw intensities for each "colour channel" (don't know the right term). In his coat however, that's where the real noise lurks, no detail just noise. Shouldn't the ISO 400 performance on both the ZD Back and Aptus 22 be the same since they're utilizing the same sensor?

Regarding IR: I tried it once but somhow didn't manage to focus on infinity. It just didn't work. I mean, I manually focussed on infinity but the images weren't sharp at all. Especially when using wider apertures. I had to use f 22 and focus on infinity to get mostly sharp results... Does anybody have an explanation for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ian,
    I am using Lightroom 3 to process my files. I really like LR exept for its file management system which I don't find too useful (yet)... However this particular image was shot as jpeg, only for the sake of testing those crop lines I mentioned. I avoid shooting jpeg normally.
    Understood. Only .MOS format is available on the Aptus; wonder what sort of NR, if any, the ZD is doing to the JPEG? BTW, my etched screen for the Mamiya/A22 is inaccurate—I have to check the LCD after shooting when my composition is tightly cropped. Bummer.

Have you tried doing *all* NR in Lightroom? Supposed to be pretty good these days. How big is the out-of-camera JPEG? If not too large, I would like to have a look at it in C1.

Then I used PS to convert it to black & white. I managed to reduce noise a little bit by adjusting the bw intensities for each "colour channel" (don't know the right term). In his coat however, that's where the real noise lurks, no detail just noise.
    Always in the darker areas—I should have remembered that.

Shouldn't the ISO 400 performance on both the ZD Back and Aptus 22 be the same since they're utilizing the same sensor?
    The Aptus is somewhat newer I think and may have better processing for noise. Hard to comparison-test, though. Does the Mamiya have a fan for cooling?

Regarding IR: I tried it once but somhow didn't manage to focus on infinity. It just didn't work. I mean, I manually focussed on infinity but the images weren't sharp at all. Especially when using wider apertures. I had to use f 22 and focus on infinity to get mostly sharp results... Does anybody have an explanation for this?
    Did you adjust for IR when focusing the lens? ie first focus through the viewfinder, then adjust the distance using the red mark on the lens barrel)?

You probably need to have a filter in the back, not just remove the IR cutoff, to maintain the same optical path; focus may well be affected. Mamiya made a IR filter called YD401 which would be nice to find at a good price.

HTH
    Last edited by mediumcool; 19th January 2011 at 19:20. Reason: removed pic

Post Thanks / Like

The IR Photo Filter YD401 (which replaces the standard IR Cut Filter) is a clear filter that allows the transmission of infrared light as well as visible light rays. Unlike specialized IR cameras or modified systems, the Mamiya ZD Digital Back can be transformed from standard digital to IR digital, simply by changing the user-replaceable filters.

Photographers will need to add an Infrared filter (89B or 87) on the front of the lens to produce Infrared images with dramatic dark skies, glowing greens and "magical" skin tones.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    "magical" skin tones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    It’s a quote from the link. “Magical” is not a word that I would use in any context.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 19th January 2011 at 20:06. Reason: italicised text

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some recent work from last week. Just two quick images. More will come when I finished it all.

P65 - 40HR - Rm3D - two image stitch

P65 - 32HR - Rm3D - two image stitch

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried doing *all* NR in Lightroom? Supposed to be pretty good these days. How big is the out-of-camera JPEG? If not too large, I would like to have a look at it in C1.
    Lightrooms noise reduction capabilities are incredible! It handles colour noise extremely well. Even if you adjust that control bar to a 100% you don't seem to lose any detail at all. JPEGs are about 9mb. Just let me know if you want some..

The Aptus is somewhat newer I think and may have better processing for noise. Hard to comparison-test, though. Does the Mamiya have a fan for cooling?
    The ZD Back doesn't have a fan so it's pretty light. I like shooting handhelt in mirror up mode which is great on the Phase One.

Did you adjust for IR when focusing the lens? ie first focus through the viewfinder, then adjust the distance using the red mark on the lens barrel)?
    I used the scale on the lens barrel to focus (as shown on your 50mm shift lens) and then fired from the hip.

You probably need to have a filter in the back, not just remove the IR cutoff, to maintain the same optical path; focus may well be affected. Mamiya made a IR filter called YD401 which would be nice to find at a good price.
    I guess you're right on this. As you said, the missing filter seems to affect the optical path somehow. So maybe a piece of glass would work aswell? Since one needs an IR filter anyway...

Take care

Shelby Lewis

It’s a quote from the link. “Magical” is not a word that I would use in any context.
    Yeah... I got the sarcasm in your original reply. I truly though it was funny. "Magical" IR skintones! I can just imagine reading that text from a late 1970s Hoya magazine add.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    I can just imagine reading that text from a late 1970s Hoya magazine add.

I remember those. Talk about a way back machine image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

S2 and 180mm lens in the desert ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trees

Blog post from last Sunday. After a storm in Connecticut. H4D-60 + HC 300 + monopod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a shoot at the Walnut Hill School for the Arts

-bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,

Excellent energetic pose, so kudos on the equally excellent timing! Lighting and skin-tones are spot on too. Dancers are tough to photograph well, congrats on a job well done!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Bob,

Excellent energetic pose, so kudos on the equally excellent timing! Lighting and skin-tones are spot on too. Dancers are tough to photograph well, congrats on a job well done!
    Thanks Jack,
    It was a refreshing change from essentially static targets
    -bob

skrystos

Hello everyone here is something from for the good beginning

Mamiya RZ67 PRO II + 110mm f2.8 @ f5.6 Kodak portra 160nc

terroll

Pentax 645d w/ P645 A 75mm f2.8 @ f16 & 0.6 sec
    Window light w/ fill flash

the scanner-guy

Hi, it's my first post here in this great thread.

Scanner-Camera, Schneider Beta-Variogon 75-150 @ 75 - f/8
    Captured at 1200dpi-24bit color. reduced to 600dpi B/W in CS5, cropped, and color graded to sepia-look.

It was meant as a test shot, and had a lot of dust on the sensor which can be seen in full-res as some strange horizontal lines and stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

-bob
    Very nice Bob... my wife has a ballet/tap and gymnastics school, so I hope to be doing some of this type of photography - I have taken shots for submission for application for admission to ballet schools, but I do not have permission to post them.

Do you use shutter-beams for this type of work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skrystos View Post
    Hello everyone here is something from for the good beginning

Mamiya RZ67 PRO II + 110mm f2.8 @ f5.6 Kodak portra 160nc
    Nice!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the scanner-guy View Post
    Hi, it's my first post here in this great thread.

Scanner-Camera, Schneider Beta-Variogon 75-150 @ 75 - f/8
    Captured at 1200dpi-24bit color. reduced to 600dpi B/W in CS5, cropped, and color graded to sepia-look.

It was meant as a test shot, and had a lot of dust on the sensor which can be seen in full-res as some strange horizontal lines and stripes.
    Beautiful image, Dario. Welcome to the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

-bob
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Very nice Bob... my wife has a ballet/tap and gymnastics school, so I hope to be doing some of this type of photography - I have taken shots for submission for application for admission to ballet schools, but I do not have permission to post them.

Do you use shutter-beams for this type of work?
    Do you mean like a remote trigger? I don't. Most of the dancers that I know I can get their timing within two shots. If I've never met them it might take a bit longer.

Pardon the following two images as they are taken with a 1DsIII not a MFDB. I've yet to play with my RZ with a dancer doing jumps. It would be the same, pre-focus where I want them to be at apex and time the shutter lag so they hit the apex. The lag will be higher than my Canon.

Dick, you're lucky in that you'll have a built in critique from a dance teacher. Over the last 5 years I've learned a lot about dance, and what I though was a good picture, was actually lousy technique that no dance school should really put up on the wall. I've actually found several parents would judge the school by the shots of the students that are up on the walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful dancer, Bob - perfect "pose"!

And I love your water wheels, xpixel!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As usual, more and larger at my blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh deary me.. dr. Freud would be sooooo happy..

Aptus 54s + AFDIII + 80/1.9 + single Quadra head

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

H4D-60 + HC28. Two full frames stitched. Circular polarizer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same setup, but not stitched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Basil's Bar, Mustique. Same setup. perspective fixed in LR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

H4D + 35-90 @ 70.

Post Thanks / Like

Great images Woody!

Tremont area of GSMNP.

Soon to be ex-P65+, Cambo RS, 35mm stitch.

Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot Ed!
    www.williamophuis.com

Hassy H4D-40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shot on the recent SIHH watch fair in Geneva. Stacked focus using Helicon Focus.

More and larger at my blog.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ophuis View Post
    Nice shot Ed!
    +1!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya AF 45mm, f16, 3s, ISO 50

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I captured this last year in New Mexico and just this morning decided to start working with it using a combination of C1 Pro 6.1 and CS5. Taken with the Cambo WRS1000 and P45+ and right now I haven't the foggiest idea which lens but feel it might be the Schneider 72.

Cheers

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

RZ67 + 50mm + Aptus 54s.

5 shots vertical stich, fixed (and therefore shifting, as camera tilts) focus plane.

Just though it would be fun. Stiched in Photoshop.