The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Thanks Don I got about 4 winners from that trip and this was one of them. Glad i stopped the caravan

Don Libby

May sound like a silly question but do either of you (Guy and Jack) talk about looking at the scene with one eye closed bring it back to a one dimensional aspect that relates closer to a photograph?

Don

Guy Mancuso

May sound like a silly question but do either of you (Guy and Jack) talk about looking at the scene with one eye closed bring it back to a one dimensional aspect that relates closer to a photograph?

Don
Great question and no but I stand by people and do a lot of composing for them and explain why it works and what does not.

Try to get them to see the way I do. For me it is natural it came at birth but you can develop a eye and that is what i try to teach. That was not a modest statement but the truth some are born with a eye for composition without thinking about it and some folks are not but it can be learned and taught. That is mostly what I try to do on the workshops is get folks to see and Jack compliments that on how to get there. In all honesty we are a great tag team. We both have our strengths and our weaknesses but together we do real well. That was not a ad either. LOL

Don Libby

Great question and no but I stand by people and do a lot of composing for them and explain why it works and what does not.
Not too sure that would work with me doing that as I'd cast too long of a shadow!:ROTFL::angel:

Last edited:

Don Libby

Also just thought about this - when I have my tripod fully extended even Sandy who is 6' has a problem seeing my camera! You can guess about Ken who needs a step stool :ROTFL: (sorry couldn't resist)

At least Jack can relate....

Last edited:

Don Libby

Try to get them to see the way I do. For me it is natural it came at birth but you can develop a eye and that is what i try to teach. That was not a modest statement but the truth some are born with a eye for composition without thinking about it and some folks are not but it can be learned and taught. That is mostly what I try to do on the workshops is get folks to see and Jack compliments that on how to get there. In all honesty we are a great tag team. We both have our strengths and our weaknesses but together we do real well. That was not a ad either. LOL
I understand fully. There's aspects that we often take for granted that have to be "learned" where we find it second nature.

Guy Mancuso

In all honesty one reason Jack and I started this forum was so folks can post images and learn from others . Reason why we encourage to have folks post images and pretty much why it is setup like it is with the gallery and have folks post in the threads which some forums do not do that as much. I think it is a better learning experience to see images and learn from them. And the big bonus is we have some serious talent here with any format.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Don,

The one-eye is a good trick. I show my cardboard cutout for framing which accomplishes the same thing as closing one eye, but adds a frame so you can estimate focal length. I also then usually show my compositions on the LCD review -- it's already 2-D and pretty much everybody can see it ;)

On the flip side, it's pretty interesting as to how few folks actually want to listen to us when we're in the field -- most of them are off doing their own thing! I walk around and ask as well as offer suggestions, but here is where Guy is more forceful -- he will literally drag them by their sleeve to get them to look through his camera -- serious! :ROTFL:

John Black

Some fireworks shot with the Mamiya ZD -

Mamiya 645M 150mm F2.8

Mamiya 80mm AF D

Mamiya 80mm AF D

Mamiya 80mm AF D

kdphotography

Also just thought about this - when I have my tripod fully extended even Sandy who is 6' has a problem seeing my camera! You can guess about Ken who needs a step stool :ROTFL: (sorry couldn't resist)

[I'm working hard---but I caught that!]

Step stool? Hell----that's step ladder......

:ROTFL:

John Black

Thanks. The 1Ds3 died on Friday (ERR99 crap), so the ZD was a reluctant second choice. Fortunately RAW Developer's hot pixel noise suppression cleaned them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.