Site Sponsors
Page 114 of 386 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 164 214 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,700 of 19288

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

"Changing light" (Grand Canyon) - awesome image Jack. Begs to be printed BIG.
    Frits

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ed, thanks Frits! I will be printing that one big for sure, and hopefully tomorrow. I think I'll probably spend a little more time on localized editing first though.

PS: Irony of ironies, that is arguably the worst lens technically in my entire MF stable, yet it continually produces some of my best images!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I shot with a Mamiya 645, my most used lens was the 210mm f4 which apparently was rubbish, I didn't know it at the time, neither did the people who bought all those pictures over the years
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I grabbed this shot with the 105-210 at around 170. It's amazing how well these old Mamiya "junker" lenses work:

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that I am home the processing is much easier to see what I am getting. Hate laptops for processing.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I grabbed this shot with the 105-210 at around 170. It's amazing how well these old Mamiya "junker" lenses work:

Very much enjoy the tonality in the dark foreground—without the detail and texture (to use Zone System terminology), it would simply be a big black blob (aka BBB).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Medium. Ironically, that foreground was *darkened* to the zone I - II levels on purpose for that reason. There is a lot of DR In MF files and it was captured at around II-1/2 to III-1/2 which to my eye was distracting the other direction.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Medium. Ironically, that foreground was *darkened* to the zone I - II levels on purpose for that reason. There is a lot of DR In MF files and it was captured at around II-1/2 to III-1/2 which to my eye was distracting the other direction.
    Aesthetically, you made the right choice. AA maintained that Zone II was the first zone with texture, and given film’s characteristic curve, that was appropriate in the day.

Yes, digital has the range to move things about, especially in the lower tones—highlights can be problematic in my experience. I have never found the highlight tolerance that many reviews and tests espouse, so I always expose as if I’m using Kodachrome X! [dating myself?]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed, you need to protect highlights to maintain color fidelity and tonality. FWIW, I go back to the days when my films of choice were Kodachrome 25 or Panatomic X
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, you need to protect highlights to maintain color fidelity and tonality. FWIW, I go back to the days when my films of choice were Kodachrome 25 or Panatomic X
    Just looked it up; K-X ran from 1962–1974 and I would have shot it in 1971 or ’72. K25 was a late-comer, around 1974. I always found it a bit wimpy after K-II and K-X—much more contrast in these films.

With digital we have BOBW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are two images shot on the lovely old medium, film. Rollei 2.8 FX. Location is the old quarter of Al Balad in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, March 2010.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

love those rollei shots, esp the second one; great texture

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from our Winter workshop, here are a few of my images from it -- similar to others, but we compose and process slightly differently:

P

Mamiya 55-110 zoom at 55mm:

Holy Crap this is killer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Viablex!

Just for fun, I grabbed this one just after the one above, a repost from the trips thread: The first afternoon we had a lone snow storm cloud come right up the center of the canyon and start dumping its load while we were waiting for sunset. It was large so it did not appear as one cloud, but rather a small storm unless you viewed the entire length of it. The Sun was low enough to hit underneath it and gave us the changing side-light view, so I decided it might be a fun pano to try and grabbed it quickly. It is 7 frames at 55mm covering almost 180 degrees of view from the West end of the South Rim. This is 2000 pixels wide here, but the original would print 3 feet tall by 15 feet wide at 240 PPI with intricate detail. Not the greatest image, and I'd certainly need to work it more before printing it, but an interesting view we can't usually encompass with our normal vision:

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Wooow, really impressive image Jack! BTW I love your Sutro Baths...

Thanks to this forum my interest in shooting landscapes increased a lot and I realised how difficult this can be. There's just soo much to pay attention to...

Post Thanks / Like

I am much more confident shooting people. Recently a friend of mine rented a studio so I got the chance to fool around a bit. This is a guy I just met there.

Post Thanks / Like

PS: Irony of ironies, that is arguably the worst lens technically in my entire MF stable, yet it continually produces some of my best images!
    Jack, I have that same lens and cannot bring myself to sell it. It is a great focal length for full frame MF. A tad soft compared to the 75-150 but before the cambo it was my go to lens.

I decided I would hold on to it until (if ever) they get the 35-90 digital zoom in production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Max!

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post

I decided I would hold on to it until (if ever) they get the 35-90 digital zoom in production.
    Exactly -- and even then, I may keep the old 55-110 just because! I know,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still working images . This may take until next week have a couple gigs to shoot but I kind of like this one shot with the 150 mm.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Shelby Lewis

Jack and Guy... truly fantastic work. Loving the light quality in the workshop images. I've got my first visit to the GC this coming July... VERY excited.

One from the other night:

Cheers!
    Shelby

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Jack and Guy... truly fantastic work. Loving the light quality in the workshop images. I've got my first visit to the GC this coming July... VERY excited.

Cheers!
    Shelby
    I am enjoying seeing your artistry expressed with the new "toys".

Steve

Shelby Lewis

You know... what I really enjoy about these images, Jack, is that although they have a clarity, resolution, and depth to them that you only get with MF, you still didn't artificially crank up the contrast a ton and destroy the turbidity (dustiness, if you will) of the air.

The way the light has filtered through the air makes a huge difference on these... it gives them a real-ness; a bit more "life". The gradual lowering of zone placement as you get closer to the foreground also helps (I know you "helped" this a bit), but not near as much to my eye as the lessening of contrast as the distance-from-camera increases. It's as is if that pale blue sky is gradually swallowing the rock formations as one peers further into the distance.

Lovely.
    Last edited by Shelby Lewis; 16th February 2011 at 20:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a focus stack shot with the 80LS done in Helicon focus. 4 frames here

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers!
    Shelby
    preeeeety!!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guess i liked what i was seeing i did it as a vertical as well. Focus stack 4 images

Post Thanks / Like

You know... what I really enjoy about these images, Jack, is that although they have a clarity, resolution, and depth to them that you only get with MF, you still didn't artificially crank up the contrast a ton and destroy the turbidity (dustiness, if you will) of the air.

The way the light has filtered through the air makes a huge difference on these... it gives them a real-ness; a bit more "life". The gradual lowering of zone placement as you get closer to the foreground also helps (I know you "helped" this a bit), but not near as much to my eye as the lessening of contrast as the distance-from-camera increases. It's as is if that pale blue sky is gradually swallowing the rock formations as one peers further into the distance.

Lovely.
    Ditto 100%! I think that is what gives Jack's (and Guy's) images such presence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys you're way too kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely.

Thanks Shelby and Ed! We try to spend a fair bit of our time teaching how to process to specifically avoid over-cooking images. We believe a softer, natural look is usually best.
    Jack

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfsworld View Post
    I really like this one and few more from previous posts
    It is not so many MF wildlife photographer

/Ralf
    Thanks Ralf. I'm not a wildlife photographer, per se... but the campus lakes here at LSU (Baton Rouge, LA) have a lot of birds that are pretty used to people. That little guy just seemed to sit there and pose for me!

Thanks again,
    Shelby

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    preeeeety!!
    Thanks Darr!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers!
    Shelby
    I like the tones in this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I like the tones in this.
    Guy

I much prefer the vertical version of your shot. It is a strong composition with the tree providing strength.

The Helicon focus looks like it is doing a good job here for you

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well . . . . here we go with my new Alpa Max. + Hasselblad H4d 60 back + Alpa APO Switar 35mm lens. Two frames stitched by shifting the back. Not much of an image but it's taken a few hours to sort out flat frames and the like, working out presets for shifts. Color casts and vignetting were fully controlled in Phocus with the presets. Pixel dimensions of the finished tiff are roughly 13,000 x 9,000.

Yeah, I really am a gear whore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Well . . . . here we go with my new Alpa Max. + Hasselblad H4d 60 back + Alpa APO Switar 35mm lens. Two frames stitched by shifting the back. Not much of an image but it's taken a few hours to sort out flat frames and the like, working out presets for shifts. Color casts and vignetting were fully sorted out in Phocus with the presets. Pixel dimensions of the finished tiff are roughly 13,000 x 9,000.

Hey Woody, could you do me a favour and post a 100% crop of the bridge in the background?

I like the lightning and the way the shadows fall.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Beta arrived!

Wonderful capture...I have not seen the Switar look better.
    (Irrespective of the dust.)

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well . . . . here we go with my new Alpa Max. + Hasselblad H4d 60 back + Alpa APO Switar 35mm lens. Two frames stitched by shifting the back. Not much of an image but it's taken a few hours to sort out flat frames and the like, working out presets for shifts. Color casts and vignetting were fully controlled in Phocus with the presets. Pixel dimensions of the finished tiff are roughly 13,000 x 9,000.

Looking very nice Woody. It's all there

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Guy

I much prefer the vertical version of your shot. It is a strong composition with the tree providing strength.

The Helicon focus looks like it is doing a good job here for you

Woody
    Thanks Woody it was the vertical i put on my new website. I liked it better too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    The Beta arrived!

Wonderful capture...I have not seen the Switar look better.
    (Irrespective of the dust.)

Bob
    Did this in a rush - spotting to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Full fez screen shot grabbed from LR. There are a couple of digital artifacts that I'm working on but note the absence of moires.

I've shimmed the back in accordance with Alpa's instructions. Focus appears to be dead on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody the detail and DR are there but am I seeing some type of noise pattern. Maybe Phocus better here?

Post Thanks / Like

Did this in a rush - spotting to come.
    Captures look great .... a couple of small spots not a big deal. Indeed nothing like my H343 Scans...too 4-5 HOURS per capture just to spot and I had very good dust free conditions. Wish I could say the same for my lab.

It all looks good.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Woody the detail and DR are there but am I seeing some type of noise pattern. Maybe Phocus better here?
    30 seconds is a long exposure...even at ISO 50.

Into LR from Phocus or was it RAW into LR?

I would imagine that clarity and noise redux in LR may help...in reciprocal fashion.

Bob

Shelby Lewis

This is super... tones, dynamic range, color, sharpness (not to mention the great composition). It's all there.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been very pleased with the negative Clarity slider in C1 for this purpose, specially with dusty or misty scenes.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, congrats on the new rig --- looking really good!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking good Woody!
    L

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, How did you manage f2.0 on the Apo-Switar? And at 30 sec in daylight?
    Clearly this is not what you did .

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Raw horsepower.

Hasselblad H1 / Phase One P25+, @80mm

Frits

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Viablex!

Just for fun, I grabbed this one just after the one above, a repost from the trips thread: The first afternoon we had a lone snow storm cloud come right up the center of the canyon and start dumping its load while we were waiting for sunset. It was large so it did not appear as one cloud, but rather a small storm unless you viewed the entire length of it. The Sun was low enough to hit underneath it and gave us the changing side-light view, so I decided it might be a fun pano to try and grabbed it quickly. It is 7 frames at 55mm covering almost 180 degrees of view from the West end of the South Rim. This is 2000 pixels wide here, but the original would print 3 feet tall by 15 feet wide at 240 PPI with intricate detail. Not the greatest image, and I'd certainly need to work it more before printing it, but an interesting view we can't usually encompass with our normal vision:

Incredible view and the middle of the shot is really good!
    Wonder how it feels to be there during the winter. I was there last summer and It was really hot.

/Ralf
    www.ralfsworld.com HBL H1, P 30+, HC 80/2,8 & HC 35/3,5, Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, Sony A7/R, 400/2,8 L IS USM, 16-35/2,8 L USM II, FE 55/1,8, FE 24-70/4, Sigma EX 70-200/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, Sigma EX 120-300/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, 50 F/1,4, 15/2,8 Fish-eye...