Site Sponsors
Page 115 of 386 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,750 of 19272

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Guess i liked what i was seeing i did it as a vertical as well. Focus stack 4 images

This is really good one! Old tree, dark clouds, play with light and shadows and place as it is is really mastery... my congratulation on this shot.

/Ralf
    www.ralfsworld.com HBL H1, P 30+, HC 80/2,8 & HC 35/3,5, Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, Sony A7/R, 400/2,8 L IS USM, 16-35/2,8 L USM II, FE 55/1,8, FE 24-70/4, Sigma EX 70-200/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, Sigma EX 120-300/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, 50 F/1,4, 15/2,8 Fish-eye...

Post Thanks / Like

This is a part of the Old City of Stockholm, Sweden. I made this one few days ago from the boat in motion, handhold. This is a 50% crop.

Regards from cold Stockholm.
    /Ralf
    www.ralfsworld.com HBL H1, P 30+, HC 80/2,8 & HC 35/3,5, Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, Sony A7/R, 400/2,8 L IS USM, 16-35/2,8 L USM II, FE 55/1,8, FE 24-70/4, Sigma EX 70-200/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, Sigma EX 120-300/2,8 APO DG HSM OS, 50 F/1,4, 15/2,8 Fish-eye...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to everyone for your reactions.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Well . . . . here we go with my new Alpa Max. + Hasselblad H4d 60 back + Alpa APO Switar 35mm lens. Two frames stitched by shifting the back. Not much of an image but it's taken a few hours to sort out flat frames and the like, working out presets for shifts. Color casts and vignetting were fully controlled in Phocus with the presets. Pixel dimensions of the finished tiff are roughly 13,000 x 9,000.

Yeah, I really am a gear whore.

I also like this image a lot. It looks very 3D. After reoplacing my Hy6 -Sinar gear with a S2 I am struggeling to sell also my Artec (original plan) or to keep it.
    If I keep it I need to buy a used back (like the AFI7 offered in the sales section). But then I have used the Artec maybe 5 times in 1 year only.....

No, I need to resist and stay out of it.

Image like yours dont really help here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I've strapped a 6x7 Linhof film back on to my TC and shot . . . .F***. That's right, film. The f word. The back is a loaner from Doc Moore. I'm shooting Ilford XP-2, a "chromogenic" B&W film. This shot with my TC + 35mm APO-Switar + XP-2 scanned on a Hasselblad Imacon scanner.

The diagonal line that appears to come from the street lamp isn't a digital artifact because, well, the image wasn't captured digitally. The trail is way too long to be an aircraft (2 second exposure) so I'm assuming it's a satellite.

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning image Woody!
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfsworld View Post
    Wonder how it feels to be there during the winter. I was there last summer and It was really hot.

/Ralf
    It was REALLY COLD, especially in the mornings ... like zero Fahrenheit with 20mph wind.

Worth it though ... great trip.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I've strapped a 6x7 Linhof film back on to my TC and shot . . . .F***. That's right, film. The f word. The back is a loaner from Doc Moore. I'm shooting Ilford XP-2, a "chromogenic" B&W film. This shot with my TC + 35mm APO-Switar + XP-2 scanned on a Hasselblad Imacon scanner.

The diagonal line that appears to come from the street lamp isn't a digital artifact because, well, the image wasn't captured digitally. The trail is way too long to be an aircraft (2 second exposure) so I'm assuming it's a satellite.

I assume that the trail is way too large (width) to be astronomical object and would bet that the scan was compromised in some way. It appears to impact the building so again not completely understood...however a great capture. The nice thing about film is there is no true upper limit for exposure time.....

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen many vertical panos so I thought I would post this image I just finished processing for a gallery print.

P30, 645ADFII, 55-110mm

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of images from today in South Lake Union, Seattle

Mamiya RZ Pro IID w/Aptus-II 7

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Haven't seen many vertical panos so I thought I would post this image I just finished processing for a gallery print.

P30, 645ADFII, 55-110mm

That's a beauty - Im a sucker for earth shadow pre-sunrise / post sunsets ... Did you manage to capture the moon in that single exposure or blend in a second exposure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    I assume that the trail is way too large (width) to be astronomical object and would bet that the scan was compromised in some way. It appears to impact the building so again not completely understood...however a great capture. The nice thing about film is there is no true upper limit for exposure time.....

Bob
    A scratch? I'll check the negative when I get back to NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post

Bob
    Seems unlikely to be a satellite ... not sure any satellite would cooperate so as to line up perfectly with the angle of the buildings like that. Satellites travel fast, but seems way too long to be from a 2 second exposure.

I suppose a scanning artifact is possible, but a close examination of the original film should easily decide that ... either it's on the film or it's not. Doesn't look like one to me.

It aligns so perfectly with the verticals I just can't see it was accidental ... how to you "scratch" a neg so perfectly?

Where was this taken? It looks just like an image I took of the Luxor in Las Vegas with it's beam shooting out the top a few years ago. I've heard of a few of these in NYC, any chance it's one of those? It does look like it's coming from the top of a building in the distance.

Accident or real, cool shot and I like the light beam ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    That's a beauty - Im a sucker for earth shadow pre-sunrise / post sunsets ... Did you manage to capture the moon in that single exposure or blend in a second exposure?
    One of my favorite subjects too Graham. Around here it gets pretty hazy in the summer so we don't usually get the deep colors. This one was right after a few days of heavy rains which helped. The moon in the first exposure was marginally over exposed. This is a blend of two exposures one stop apart. I used the main exposure for the slight glow which is hard to see at web size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
    A couple of images from today in South Lake Union, Seattle

Mamiya RZ Pro IID w/Aptus-II 7
    I appreciate that in the days a of film most professionals did not have a clue about colour temperature or white balance, and did not use red correction filters on overcast days... but now WB is so quick and easy - I find it difficult to appreciate why we get so many pictures here with blue casts - the float plane picture looks so much better with one click of the mouse to grey balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Woody, really stunning image you got there with the Linhof back. What resolution do you get out of the Imacon at this neg. size? Care to post a 100% snippet of it? Wondering how it compares to your 60 MPX sensor ... guess that a 100 iso film might be compareable? Got more analog goodness? Film's great still!

Kind regards

Paul

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post

P30, 645ADFII, 55-110mm

Nice shot and great look to it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a scratch. The satellite idea was pretty stupid - an example of seeing what you want to see rather than what is there. The alignment is an accident.

In terms of sharpness the image looks way less good full rez on the screen than a 60 meg (or even 39 meg) digital image. I have photographed from this spot with an M9 with better results in terms of resolution. It's not fair to film to post a crop because this was 2 seconds without a tripod - braced against a light pole - the image is sharp but not perfectly so. The scanned tiffs are 49 megs each. The scanner more than fully resolves the film's grain at this file size - the scanner is significantly oversampling the film.

What film brings to this picture (and what makes the picture appealing) is the shoulder of the response curve which means that the illuminated windows don't fully blow out, and halation, which leads to a warm glow around the windows. It took 10 minutes or so to spot the scan in Photoshop.

This image suggests a lot that there is to love and hate about film.

Here's a repost of the image with the scratch gone and a minor curves adjustment. This is Mies van der Rohe's Seagrams building; the image is part of my longstanding project photographing icons.

Post Thanks / Like

While it isn't sharp, it has something to it, really, I think you could call this "graphical". I imagine this in large, beautifully framed ...

Woody, do you like shooting film alongside MFDB or is it an experiment you won't repeat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    I appreciate that in the days a of film most professionals did not have a clue about colour temperature or white balance, and did not use red correction filters on overcast days... but now WB is so quick and easy - I find it difficult to appreciate why we get so many pictures here with blue casts - the float plane picture looks so much better with one click of the mouse to grey balance.
    On what in the image did you balance on? I can force a blue cast, but I'm not seeing it. 99% of my stuff is indoor sports/dance or studio and I'd love to learn more about this type of work.

EDIT:
    Found a spot on the plane that did something. I had to have both versions up at the same time to notice the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot a little fashion work last night. Shot with the 150 on the P40+

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

What film brings to this picture (and what makes the picture appealing) is the shoulder of the response curve which means that the illuminated windows don't fully blow out, and halation, which leads to a warm glow around the windows. It took 10 minutes or so to spot the scan in Photoshop.

This image suggests a lot that there is to love and hate about film.

Here's a repost of the image with the scratch gone and a minor curves adjustment. This is Mies van der Rohe's Seagrams building; the image is part of my longstanding project photographing icons.
    One advantage of the film is you can combine two scans to tone down the highlights as a modified HDR...without the comic book result seen so much these days.

By the way...the second post on your blog shows much better than this one.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Shot a little fashion work last night. Shot with the 150 on the P40+

Love how the eyes pop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Spinnler View Post
    While it isn't sharp, it has something to it, really, I think you could call this "graphical". I imagine this in large, beautifully framed ...

Woody, do you like shooting film alongside MFDB or is it an experiment you won't repeat?
    I'll probably shoot both.

the scanner-guy

Finally a sunny week-end here in Florence! I tried to shoot from the middle of a piazza full of tourists, with the scanner, the huge tripod, and a large trolley for the other stuff.
    The funny thing is that I didn't take the car, but I took the bus (imagine me with all that stuff in a bus!).

Clicking on the image you can see an almost full-resolution version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I'd throw up a few of my favorites from the workshop ... which was terrific btw ... thx Jack and Guy.

Anyway, favorite from the trip ...

Pano from monument valley ...

My version of north window sunrise ...

A couple of tight shots using the river ...

One more I like of the canyon

I won't bore you with more ... I threw a bunch in a gallery if you want to take a look ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very very nice take Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful series Wayne -- very well seen and very well processed!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very very nice take Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Beautiful series Wayne -- very well seen and very well processed!
    Thanks.

And thanks for the C1 lessons ... I used several of your tips, and am getting much more comfortable with it. I've used it for years, but it's always seemed "awkward" to me. Not so much anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well done Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last Saturday's post to my blog. STC + 36mm APO + Hasselblad 60 m back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A second image from last Saturday. Same kit except this time two frames stitched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice capture Woody! What os going on in the upper LH corner -- looks like a color shift, or is it from a polarizing filter? FWIW, you have some rather serious dust
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice capture Woody! What os going on in the upper LH corner -- looks like a color shift, or is it from a polarizing filter? FWIW, you have some rather serious dust
    Jack - What you're seeing is me adding too much post crop vignetting. I need to get a grip on this topic. The Phocus "scene calibration" tool actually does a perfect job on color shift and vignetting and I used it here. I'm reposting with the post crop vignetting (and some slight warming) removed. On the spots I need to be a little less lazy in post - some dust seems to be an issue because I'm constantly moving the back from the H4D to the SDT to the Max and back.

I've also included a crop. This was the STC handheld.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's certainly sharp! Understand on the vignette, and C1 LCC works similarly to Phocus' calibration I believe. However, I am still seeing in that corner what appears to be a magenta shift relative to the center sky, and then some slight yellow-green in the clouds at the same corner. Could be my laptop if you're not seeing it.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's certainly sharp! Understand on the vignette, and C1 LCC works similarly to Phocus' calibration I believe. However, I am still seeing in that corner what appears to be a magenta shift relative to the center sky, and then some slight yellow-green in the clouds at the same corner. Could be my laptop if you're not seeing it.
    I too am on my laptop - I'll check it out on my calibrated monitor tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see those on my calibrated monitor, but i think those can be corrected as well.
    Nice job Woody, please link me how did you manage to use your H4-60 on technical camera? i have same that DB but i am thinking to get a technical camera sooner or later, but i thought it is not possible to use Hasselblad HDB on another cameras such as technical ones.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More film. Friday March 11's post. This confirms what I thought I knew about the grayscale rendering of chromogenic film. Back to digital for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by the scanner-guy View Post

Finally a sunny week-end here in Florence! I tried to shoot from the middle of a piazza full of tourists, with the scanner, the huge tripod, and a large trolley for the other stuff.
    The funny thing is that I didn't take the car, but I took the bus (imagine me with all that stuff in a bus!).

Clicking on the image you can see an almost full-resolution version.
    This is very cool. Congratulations on putting this together.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne, that's a very impressive series of the GC - congratulations!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a scratch. The satellite idea was pretty stupid - an example of seeing what you want to see rather than what is there. The alignment is an accident.

. . . .
    Back in New York I discovered that the scratch shows up on the contact sheet. This means that it was the lab's fault. I won't mention names but its a well-known firm that processes work for a number of photographers with large numbers of images in the Museum of Modern Art collection. I had a personal introduction to the owner. Nonetheless I got a scratch on the only really interesting frame in the four or five rolls that I shot.

The conclusion is not that film sucks, but that there is not the quality support and infrastructure for film that there was even five years ago. Even in New York.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    How are you powering the Hasselblad 60 back on the STC?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Post Thanks / Like

Back in New York I discovered that the scratch shows up on the contact sheet. This means that it was the lab's fault. I won't mention names but its a well-known firm that processes work for a number of photographers with large numbers of images in the Museum of Modern Art collection. I had a personal introduction to the owner. Nonetheless I got a scratch on the only really interesting frame in the four or five rolls that I shot.

The conclusion is not that film sucks, but that there is not the quality support and infrastructure for film that there was even five years ago. Even in New York.
    That is not good news....sometimes smaller labs pay more attention.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

RZIID +180/4.5 + Aptus 54s, convesion in C1..

Silence.

Post Thanks / Like

RZIID + 180/4.5 + Aptus 54s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from a year or so ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images