Site Sponsors
Page 118 of 386 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,900 of 19299

Thread: Fun with MF images

Shelby Lewis

Re: Fun with MF images

Ok... one more with slightly different skin work. No sharpening after downsizing, and only cloning work on the skin... no smoothing. Everything else is either the effect of lighting, DoF, or (non-pro) makeup.

Was a little hamstrung with color, as her makeup was a bit orange in tone, but the rest of her skin isn't... so when her face was color balanced correctly, the rest of the scene wasn't.

I'll have to watch that from now on.

Cheers!
    Shelby

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby,

I very much like the tonality of the shot - quite beautiful to my eyes. I'll defer to the pros here who have probably forgotten more than i know about portraits but I can't help thinking that the arm showing to the left of the knee is distracting and I know that I'd be tempted to crop that out personally.
    Ylem ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Ok... one more with slightly different skin work. No sharpening after downsizing, and only cloning work on the skin... no smoothing. Everything else is either the effect of lighting, DoF, or (non-pro) makeup.

Was a little hamstrung with color, as her makeup was a bit orange in tone, but the rest of her skin isn't... so when her face was color balanced correctly, the rest of the scene wasn't.

I'll have to watch that from now on.

Cheers!
    Shelby
    That looks a bit more natural Shelby. What you may be fighting is the over-all coolness from the ambient ... evidenced in the hair above her forehead.

Skin tone is definitely the priority along with the hair.

What RAW processor are you using? If I recall correctly, C1 has a skin tone selector.

Alternatively, when using LR, there is a PhotoTools Plug-In that has a similar skin tone selector, and a wonderful warm highlights tool ... and a very intelligent set of portrait tools including one that targets only the skin while leaving everything else alone ... all of which are user controlled and placed on a layer.

-Marc

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    That looks a bit more natural Shelby. What you may be fighting is the over-all coolness from the ambient ... evidenced in the hair above her forehead.

Skin tone is definitely the priority along with the hair.

What RAW processor are you using? If I recall correctly, C1 has a skin tone selector.

Alternatively, when using LR, there is a PhotoTools Plug-In that has a similar skin tone selector, and a wonderful warm highlights tool ... and a very intelligent set of portrait tools including one that targets only the skin while leaving everything else alone ... all of which are user controlled and placed on a layer.

-Marc
    I had been using ACR, but the files looked NOT so nice (especially skin)... same with LR. So these were from my first run with LC11. I intentionally kept them cool to keep her orange makeup at bay. I'm on an older machine, so I'm running an older version of leaf capture, but the files already look better as far as tonality... but the sharpening is something I've not figured out... so I turned it off. Then I just output full size tiffs, retouched in photoshop and then downsized. I'm thinking that even that part of my routine isn't working for headshots either.

Wow... what a learning curve. The first month, all I shot was snapshots of my kids and some landscape stuff. I had very little problem with the files, but then when I got into the intricacies of skin tones and sharpening for faces it all got more complicated.

To top it off, I'm on an older computer... I bet this would all be easier if I had money left over to upgrade my machine to the latest-greatest.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Shelby,

I very much like the tonality of the shot - quite beautiful to my eyes. I'll defer to the pros here who have probably forgotten more than i know about portraits but I can't help thinking that the arm showing to the left of the knee is distracting and I know that I'd be tempted to crop that out personally.
    Thanks Graham... much appreciated. I'll definitely give that crop some thought.

Shelby Lewis

A little fun with processing...

Cheers!
    Shelby

tetsrfun

The first month, all I shot was snapshots of my kids and some landscape stuff.
    For me the less process snapshot had more "artistic/emotional" connection than the more highly process work(?) related images.

Steve

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    For me the less process snapshot had more "artistic/emotional" connection than the more highly process work(?) related images.

Steve
    I agree, Steve. That kind of work, especially with my family, is something dear to my heart and really flows pretty naturally for me. Most of my past work in portraiture/weddings has been lifestyle oriented and/or a bit "loose" stylistically...

Can you tell I'm really enjoying, but really struggling with this slower working method?

One more version... a more traditional b/w treatment of the shot above. Trying to retain skin texture as much as possible. Still not much I can due with the overly glopped-on mascara without spending hours reconstructing eyelashes. This is starting to get closer to my typical processing "look", i believe.

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell I'm really enjoying, but really struggling with this slower working method?

One more version... a more traditional b/w treatment of the shot above. Trying to retain skin texture as much as possible. Still not much I can due with the overly glopped-on mascara without spending hours reconstructing eyelashes. This is starting to get closer to my typical processing "look", i believe.
    [/IMG]

Cheers!
    Shelby
    I like this one the most! Crisp and clean and no caffeine.

Shelby Lewis

Sorry to inundate!

From a "poster" shoot for a fellow student's upcoming recital.

BTW... I find that I manual focus almost 100% time now... even with eyesight that seems to be slowly failing (haha), I have a pretty high hit rate. That's been a pleasurable surprise... no focus/recompose!

Aptus II 6 - AFDIII - 80/2.8D

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Great portraits Shelby.

Post Thanks / Like

Took some artistic license with this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ed & Jack. I am actually being serious about feeling a bit shy. This is in fact great part of being here, b/c only way to get actually better is to play with players who stronger. You guys with your landscapes and stills surely do keep me on me toes and running

Post Thanks / Like

One from Saturday shoot.

RZ + Aptus 54s + 110/2.8 and umm.. some lights

Post Thanks / Like

PPS: nice series, Shelby.

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Ed and Sergie...

Ed... beautiful work, as always! Through what outlet do you sell prints? I'd really like to know if one of the iceberg shots (and a few others) are available. I'm cash-spare right now, but a few of your shots would make excellent birthday presents to myself.

Sergei... nice stuff. There's something about the RZ glass and the lower megapixel sensors that really sing together. The RZ is next on my list, along with some sort of location light with some REAL power. ISO 50 is KILLING everything I have right now Is there any way to pull back the highlights on her apron? I find I can recover gobs of detail from my aptus, whereas my canon just can't cut it.

Thanks for sharing!

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
    I like this one the most! Crisp and clean and no caffeine.
    Thanks Mark!

Shelby Lewis

BTW... for giggles I did shoot some files yesterday with the canon and the PW FlexTT5 triggers. Oh, so easy! But once opening them up on the computer, I was at once let down by the lack of subtlety and headroom in the files, but also a bit surprised at how "pretty" the files are... they are so unsubtle as to be kind of like an old soft blanket. Warm and fuzzy!

I won't post any more 35mm files, but I thought the comparison would be neat. I'm obviously comfortable with canon files, but I now see how lacking they are in their RAW state compared to the aptus.

tetsrfun

"I'm obviously comfortable with canon files, but I now see how lacking they are in their RAW state compared to the aptus. "
    Same thing with my little 16MP back. It's difficult to explain and doesn't really show with sRGB web pics but the "lacking" is pretty obvious when seen on high quality calibrated monitor or print.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

The RZ is next on my list, along with some sort of location light with some REAL power. ISO 50 is KILLING everything I have right now
    I have yet to take my RZ out with my Ranger, but I want to. One day nice, sunny, weather will show up here in the Pacific Northwest. I have taken the RZ out with, and with out, my Metz 60CT4 in dimmly light rooms and it is an eye opener for how spoiled I've become with my DSLRs.

I find I can recover gobs of detail from my aptus, whereas my canon just can't cut it.
    The headroom on these backs are pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    Same thing with my little 16MP back. It's difficult to explain and doesn't really show with sRGB web pics but the "lacking" is pretty obvious when seen on high quality calibrated monitor or print.

Steve
    Looking at Marc's shots in his H4D60 thread you can see some of the glory of the depth MFD. I showed a friend the shots in that thread and he really did not like me and wanted to can his 5DII there and then.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to inundate!

From a "poster" shoot for a fellow student's upcoming recital.

BTW... I find that I manual focus almost 100% time now... even with eyesight that seems to be slowly failing (haha), I have a pretty high hit rate. That's been a pleasurable surprise... no focus/recompose!

Aptus II 6 - AFDIII - 80/2.8D

Cheers!
    Shelby
    Nice! Very natural looking.

-Marc

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shelby,

The portraits of the Cello student are truly beautiful...I am sure that he must be so pleased with your efforts.

Very nice venue and staging.

Well well done!

MF seems to agree with you....

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

RZProII w/ Aptus-II 7

140mm Macro @f16

First flower that was not glass that I've tried in the studio.

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby makes a good point on MF, the detail is incredible but there is something more that is difficult to quantify without a high quality print.

Now for some totally useless fun, this is an uncropped photographic mural of the Palouse farming region taken from Steptoe Butte in Colfax, WA. The cropped version measures 3' high by 15' wide!

P65+, Sensor+, ISO 400, 300mm, f/5.6, 1/100, processed at 200% in C1.

Click HERE to view a 4k wide version

A few crops viewed about 300dpi size:

100% crop:

Me:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Screw the 100% crops, what a marvelous use of light and shape!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Great Shot as usual Ed. What time of the year was it taken? My guess is early May.

Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Shelby makes a good point on MF, the detail is incredible but there is something more that is difficult to quantify without a high quality print.

Now for some totally useless fun, this is an uncropped photographic mural of the Palouse farming region taken from Steptoe Butte in Colfax, WA. The cropped version measures 3' high by 15' wide!

P65+, Sensor+, ISO 400, 300mm, f/5.6, 1/100, processed at 200% in C1.

Click HERE to view a 4k wide version

A few crops viewed about 300dpi size:

100% crop:

Me:

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares about crops.. end result is whats important and it looks GOOD

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

crummy resolution; i can't even make out the license plate of the SUV
    Last edited by jlm; 15th March 2011 at 14:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    crummy resolution; i can't even make out the license plate of the SUV
    That's how it goes, you sacrifice resolution for image quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to compare with the image above, but my own first post here:
    Aspen Grove, after a recent storm. Two shot (shift) stitch w/ a P30 on a Cambo WDS, with 47XL at f11.5

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macoberly View Post
    Great Shot as usual Ed. What time of the year was it taken? My guess is early May.

Mason.
    Mason,

This was taken the last week of May. The next morning it snowed but warmed up to 35 once the sun came up. Summer comes slowly there.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    Nothing to compare with the image above, but my own first post here:
    Aspen Grove, after a recent storm. Two shot (shift) stitch w/ a P30 on a Cambo WDS, with 47XL at f11.5

Jamie
    Interesting to see you using a P30 with that kit. Any problems using shifts?

Lovely image, I like the tonalities and would love to see the aspen detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, thanks. I'm biding my time till I can move to a more suitable back, and in the meanwhile minimizing shifts to about 7mm. LCC's seem to be able to handle that w/ the 47. I've just started using the Cambo, and am still adjusting to the lack of DOF (no T/S mount lenses yet), but I sure love the detail resolution. I'll see if I can post a crop from the image. It has made a really lovely print at 50" wide.

Jamie

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy & I returned to Yosemite for the 3rd year now each time in February. The weather was great - it snowed or rained almost everyday we were there.

We no sooner returned home and jumped right into having the studio flooring redone and somewhere in the mist ended up replacing our jeep - all in all a very hectic last 2-weeks. The studio is done, all the equipment has been returned to their proper places and I can now begin working on images from Yosemite and Death Valley. Just a side not - we encountered near blizzard conditions at the Race Track which made for some unusual images.

This image is the result of a 2-shot vertical using the Cambo WRS, Schneider 72mm, P45+ and of course the Cube. I've come to realize that while Yosemite looks great in both color and B&W I prefer B&W.

This one will print 40x30.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see you using a P30 with that kit. Any problems using shifts?

Lovely image, I like the tonalities and would love to see the aspen detail.

I'm in agreement with Ed. Great tones and detail; nice to see someone working "outside the box" with a tech camera.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Mason,

This was taken the last week of May. The next morning it snowed but warmed up to 35 once the sun came up. Summer comes slowly there.

Ed
    Ed - Love the images! Too bad about the crappy detail
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I'm in agreement with Ed. Great tones and detail; nice to see someone working "outside the box" with a tech camera.
    Don, thank you.
    Beautiful image - makes me want to get back to Yosemite.

As for "out of the box" - I parked the box, got out, set up, shot my frames, then got back in and drove the 'box' away. Although, I'll admit, I'd set up this shot a few times before I got the weather and light to cooperate. First try, too many snowflakes floating around. Second try, blue sky, too contrasty. Third try I got what I wanted. We don't always get that many chances.

Here's something from the blue sky day (Feb. 20):

Post Thanks / Like

That's how it goes, you sacrifice resolution for image quality.
    Dear Ed

Really great use of light! Is this one image, cropped or a pano? From the crops, implies, with sensor + that the original is half the resolution (in 1 dimension) of the P65+. At ISO 400, 5.6 and 1/100 I assume you were in a much dimmer light than it appears here.

Regardless, you captured a very interesting shot!!!

best regards
    Victor

Shelby Lewis

Nice tones on the flower shot, Mark.

Ed, I obviously love your work, and that pano is super fun to look at. Lovely color.

Jamie... welcome. I agree that the tones in your first pic post are beautiful. Congrats.

Don, that's a pretty dramatic view and treatment. Intriguing for sure.

Here's a "grab" shot that I took while shooting the cello player's session the other night. We were waiting for the sun to go down and I turned and snapped this frame while the light was pretty nice. Nothing compelling, just that the tones were kind of pretty.

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exceptionally well seen and executed Shelby.

Took some artistic license with this one.

Wow, that is gorgeous and insanely sharp! Assuming I know where that is, were you east or west of 95?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Dear Ed

Really great use of light! Is this one image, cropped or a pano? From the crops, implies, with sensor + that the original is half the resolution (in 1 dimension) of the P65+. At ISO 400, 5.6 and 1/100 I assume you were in a much dimmer light than it appears here.

Regardless, you captured a very interesting shot!!!

best regards
    Victor
    Thank you Victor. This is a stitch of six sensor+ exposures processed with 200% scaling in C1. The net when stitched is just shy of 28,000 pixels wide.

(I need to test the difference between 100%, scaling 200% in C1 or resizing with Perfect Resize to see which gives me the best look. Probably only a nickels difference between the three. )

I was using the 300mm so I wanted to keep shutter speeds at 1/100 or faster and the sun was about to set. No saturation but I did up contrast and clarity.

Here is the last shot of the day taken ISO 1600 which would have been worthless without sensor+. The colors were incredible by this time and considering I shot this with the 300mm I am very impressed with the detail. If you notice, there is a wind farm in the upper left at least 60 miles from my location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Exceptionally well seen and executed Shelby.

Wow, that is gorgeous and insanely sharp! Assuming I know where that is, were you east or west of 95?
    Thank you Bill. Not sure about the highway but this was shot from the first mckinley viewpoint on the bus tour in Denali.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this classic view Don and you had incredible weather. Congrats on the capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Bill. Not sure about the highway but this was shot from the first mckinley viewpoint on the bus tour in Denali.
    Ah, that is a very, very long way from where I thought it was.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Kodachrome Pass alothough I forget which stop. Great image bro!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers!
    Shelby
    Shelby - I've always felt that the hallmark of a really great image it that it speaks to the viewer and tells a story; that story changes with the viewer. This is a great image.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Steve. That kind of work, especially with my family, is something dear to my heart and really flows pretty naturally for me. Most of my past work in portraiture/weddings has been lifestyle oriented and/or a bit "loose" stylistically...

Cheers!
    Shelby
    Shelby, I like the look of this image much better than the previous version. The tonality is very pleasing and DOF is wonderful. It works nicely to draw my attention to her eyes (makeup not withstanding ).

Another thing I am impressed with is the perfect placement of the sax. It sits perfectly in the depth of field adding a whole other dimension. That said, while the tighter crop improves the image it puts the sax compositionally out of the mix. I'm wishing it was just slightly further into the composition.

All in all a great look and the b&w processing is a real bonus.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the last shot of the day taken ISO 1600 which would have been worthless without sensor+. The colors were incredible by this time and considering I shot this with the 300mm I am very impressed with the detail. If you notice, there is a wind farm in the upper left at least 60 miles from my location.

Ed,
    I love this image. The colors and detail are stunning. My only critique would be to crop the top 20-25% of the image, concentrating the viewer's attention on the rolling landscape and exceptional colors of the bottom 75%. This is a region of the country that I've seen photographed often, but few images match this one.