Site Sponsors
Page 119 of 386 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,950 of 19300

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Nice tones on the flower shot, Mark.
    Thanks!

Shelby Lewis

Such kind comments from everyone. Thanks You!

Ed... firstly, thanks for such kind and thoughtful comments. Much appreciated.

re: composition with the sax. I totally see what you are saying and this is something I struggled with on this shoot. It's the first sax player I've shot and the physical problem with moving the sax into the composition is that (and this isn't readily apparent in a flattened telephoto headshot) the sax neck and mouthpiece begin to collide with the hair/body if it is moved in any closer since they actually extend back over her shoulder... unless the player holds it flat-sideways to the camera. At that point, though, you lose the DoF effect on the neck/emblem.

It was really awkward finding a place for the instrument in a tight headshot... at least for me.

I totally agree with you, though, that it would be nicer if it were more into the composition. Maybe next time we'll use a soprano sax, which generally has a straight neck. Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

P65+, Sensor+, ISO 400, 300mm, f/5.6, 1/100, processed at 200% in C1.

[IMG]http://whiterivergallery.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03

Ed,
    I neglected to ask (or I missed) whether this incredible pano is from stitched frames, or is cropped from one frame?
    I assume that you went to a higher ISO and a higher shutter speed due to the fact that you were shooting with a telephoto, and wanted to be sure it was steady? Sensor+ allowed you to achieve a low-noise ISO 400, but it effectively reduced your sensor to 15MP from 60, correct?
    Do you feel that you miss any shooting opportunities due to long exposure limitations of the P65+, as compared to the P45+, or that the Sensor+ feature compensates?

Again, an incredible shot. I'm trying to understand some of the considerations that allowed you to achieve it! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    P65+, Sensor+, ISO 400, 300mm, f/5.6, 1/100, processed at 200% in C1.

[IMG]http://whiterivergallery.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03

Ed,
    I neglected to ask (or I missed) whether this incredible pano is from stitched frames, or is cropped from one frame?
    I assume that you went to a higher ISO and a higher shutter speed due to the fact that you were shooting with a telephoto, and wanted to be sure it was steady? Sensor+ allowed you to achieve a low-noise ISO 400, but it effectively reduced your sensor to 15MP from 60, correct?
    Do you feel that you miss any shooting opportunities due to long exposure limitations of the P65+, as compared to the P45+, or that the Sensor+ feature compensates?

Again, an incredible shot. I'm trying to understand some of the considerations that allowed you to achieve it! Thanks.
    The large pano is a stitch of six sensor+ exposures. As processed it is some 20k pixels wide (note the 100% crop sampling).

You are correct, Sensor+ does cut the resolution of each exposure from from 60MP to 15MP. That said, my experience confirms Phase One's claim that the Sensor+ image is sharper and smoother than you would see from a 15MP bayer sensor. This is due to some internal sensor magic I don't understand. It appears as though the 15MP is antialiased from the full resolution much the same way you would see when downsizing an image using Bicubic Sharper in photoshop.

Furthermore, I have found that capture one does an excellent job of scaling images up to 200%. Visually it seems better than upsizing in photoshop. Anything requiring over 200% I use Perfect Resize from OnOne. Doesn't replace the resolution lost with Sensor+ but produces acceptable results in most circumstances.

You are also right about the long lens, I wanted to stay at or above 1/100 on the shutter speed to avoid long lens shake.

Finally, I almost never shoot exposures longer than 30 seconds. When I upgraded to the P65 I went through six months of images and had 1 or 2 that we over a minute. If I wanted to shoot star trails or something similar I decided my Nikon would be ok for that job.

Post Thanks / Like

RZ ProIID + Mamiya ZD + 50mm (or was it 110? i cant remember, sorry), C1 conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa TC + Hasselblad 60 meg and new firmware + 36mm Schneider APO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa 12 Max + 60meg 'blad + 36mm Schneider APO. The back had 10mm of rise. f11 ISO 100 1 sec. 6 images focus stacked with Helicon Focus. The high resolution "HPF" focusing ring really facilitates focus stacking. The Schneider handles extreme backlight very well - not a hint of purple fringing and very little veiling flare. There is a small amount of uncorrected color shift (it's actually over corrected) because I got lazy and opened the aperture rather than lengthening the shutter speed to make to "flat field" scene calibration exposure.

This will be my Daily Blog post for Thursday.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Alpa TC + Hasselblad 60 meg and new firmware + 36mm Schneider APO

WOW!

Using the Image Bank Woody?

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so woody, how did you adjust perspective...in PS? looks like you shot form the street level, i see no sign of camera tilt, can't imagine that 36mm would see that high, the TC does not have shifts...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That 36mm looks very nice. Just keep teasing me Woody. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice book collection, and nice platinum on the wall
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    RZ ProIID + Mamiya ZD + 50mm (or was it 110? i cant remember, sorry), C1 conversion

Sergei, I love it. Is that an F3F? Where?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody -
    Is that 36mm the one listed as Alpa exclusive on their site (similar to 35 with different filter size) or a new lens design?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    so woody, how did you adjust perspective...in PS? looks like you shot form the street level, i see no sign of camera tilt, can't imagine that 36mm would see that high, the TC does not have shifts...
    Shot at street level - actually about knee high. Pointed up to get the top of the flag pole. Verticals converged wildly. Used perspective tool in LR to correct perspective - it looked best actually slightly under corrected. Extreme perspective corrections in post usually don't work out well, because the pixels on the flag end of this image are effectively being uprezed (and the ones at the bottom of the image downrezed) and the geometry starts getting weird. Starting with 60 megs of file really helps on the uprez issue (but I wouldn't print this larger than 20 inches or so on the long dimension) and in this case you don't have any cues as to what the flag should look like so you don't notice the geometry. The shoot included the ball on the top of the flagpole which came out way too large and elongated - I cropped it out.

After adjusting the perspective the image is keystone shaped. The long format that you see is what's left after cropping the keystoning off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Nice book collection, and nice platinum on the wall
    thanks - the platinum print is an image from the Gobi Desert taken by my friend Lois Connor. She makes her own paper and shoots 7x16 film in a camera that she had made. She's now scanning and printing digitally, large.

The one beneath it is and Edward Weston from Oceano.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 20th March 2011 at 08:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    WOW!

Using the Image Bank Woody?

-Marc
    Marc - thanks. I made this to show myself that it can be done - I've been exploring the limits of the TC and the 12 Max. It's great having both. The Max is the real deal as a technical camera - assuming that you focus stack rather than tilt - it's the most really satisfying digital tech camera that I've seen or used. And for a mere $2k more you get the TC, which with the 36 is the Hasselblad Superwide C, but digital. Another dream come true.

Yes on the image bank. I'm also have a third party battery (which I don't have with me - I'm traveling) which does not work reliably. My image bank has gotten slightly wonky - it seems to eat batteries.

The new external battery doodad is due from Hasselblad in the first half of April. It attaches to the bottom of the back; is quite thin; plugs into all three ports; has sync in and out ports in it; and like the image bank uses Sony video batteries. It only works on the 60.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 20th March 2011 at 07:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    That 36mm looks very nice. Just keep teasing me Woody. LOL
    Terrific lens, but the 60 meg back pushes it to its limit - slightly noticable at the edge unshifted, noticeable more shifted (I also have the Alpa max). I'm spending some time with it sorting out the real limits on shifting. Appears to be about 10mm with this lens. When shifting more with this lens (around 12 or 13) the H back starts to have an issue with centerfolding (probably caused by the very acute angle that the light is striking the back at) but 10mm is the limit on the good part of the image circle anyway. I hadn't commented on the centerfolding earlier because until recently I was using beta firmware.

The lens draws beautifully. On the tech camera I shoot at f11, which is optimum. For the TC I use whatever.

I can't really describe how fun it is to have 60 megs in your hand ready to shoot at whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Woody -
    Is that 36mm the one listed as Alpa exclusive on their site (similar to 35 with different filter size) or a new lens design?
    Terry - It's the Alpa exclusive.

My next problem with this is deciding on a third lens to use with my Max. I don't want to go beyond 3 - I'd like to keep this kit fairly compact. I'm thinking of the 120 Schneider on the Alpa list but I'm having second thoughts.

I'd love to hear any views on what the perfect longish focal length for landscape is.

Regards,

Woody

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats the problem I'm mostly shooting a lot of landscape with long lenses sometimes like a 150 /110mm on a P40 crop sensor. This maybe my biggest reason not to commit yet to a tech cam although I love the TC until I get the new IQ back which can confirm focus much easier on the fly than I am going to wait it out. Using long lenses is really tough. But I would think a 120 on your Hassy back would be a really nice focal length to have in the bag for sure.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My next problem with this is deciding on a third lens to use with my Max. I don't want to go beyond 3 - I'd like to keep this kit fairly compact. I'm thinking of the 120 Schneider on the Alpa list but I'm having second thoughts.
    What do you have besides the 36? I have the 47 and the 4.5/90 digitar (I'm in NYC also if you want to give them a try).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    What do you have besides the 36? I have the 47 and the 4.5/90 digitar (I'm in NYC also if you want to give them a try).
    I have the 45. I'd love to give the 90 a try. I'll send you a PM.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Charles,

I recall this as being from the 90 digitar?

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/show...p?i=8416&c=158

Wonderful imaging...and probably about as long as one needs as it is about twice the 45/47.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Recently, I discovered stitching and how easy it is with photomerge. Original file is 14172px * 4724px. Captured with ZD Back and Mamiya AF 150mm f/3,5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Sergei, I love it. Is that an F3F? Where?
    thanks.

Its Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, TX. They got quite a few old planes that still do fly (including old bomber.. which is in fact scares me), doing airshows..

and for about couple hundred bucks you can actually take a ride in about 4-5 different ones.

No clue about model of plane didnt read plaque , sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Dallas blooms.. (eyes itching...)

RZ ProIID + Mamiya ZD + 140/4.5 macro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody & Sergei

Your recent entries are stellar as always. I have a question for you Woody: how are you powering the the 'blad 60 H back on your Alpa? It was my understanding that the 'blad H backs were powered from the body. Please enlighten me as this may affect my decision as to which MFD system to chase after.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Woody & Sergei

Your recent entries are stellar as always. I have a question for you Woody: how are you powering the the 'blad 60 H back on your Alpa? It was my understanding that the 'blad H backs were powered from the body. Please enlighten me as this may affect my decision as to which MFD system to chase after.
    See this post above in this thread.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Charles,

I recall this as being from the 90 digitar?
    Yes, that was the 90mm. Would like to see how it behaves on the larger sensor backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See this post above in this thread.
    Hmmm. I shall need to investigate the Hasselblad Battery Widget you have described in more detail. I can't believe they'd only make if for the 60. If it've worked on a 40 then I would have to seriously start thinking about robbing a bank somewhere...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Shelby Lewis

A few snaps of my daughter from my evening walk with the kids around the campus lakes

Aptus II 6 - AFD III - 80/2.8D Wide Open
    (Still struggling with sharpening for web)

210/4 ULD wide open - missed focus on this (manually) ever so slightly, but loved the tones anyway - it is my daughter, after all

Cheers!
    Shelby

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - thanks. I made this to show myself that it can be done - I've been exploring the limits of the TC and the 12 Max. It's great having both. The Max is the real deal as a technical camera - assuming that you focus stack rather than tilt - it's the most really satisfying digital tech camera that I've seen or used. And for a mere $2k more you get the TC, which with the 36 is the Hasselblad Superwide C, but digital. Another dream come true.

Yes on the image bank. I'm also have a third party battery (which I don't have with me - I'm traveling) which does not work reliably. My image bank has gotten slightly wonky - it seems to eat batteries.

The new external battery doodad is due from Hasselblad in the first half of April. It attaches to the bottom of the back; is quite thin; plugs into all three ports; has sync in and out ports in it; and like the image bank uses Sony video batteries. It only works on the 60.
    That is good news on the battery adapter Woody. Especially that it uses the Sony L batteries which come in different capacities ... because I have 6 of them, including 3 still in the package and 2 excellent chargers, one of which is unused.

My 60 arrives this week and I can't wait to put it to work ... Hassey seems to have done a really good job with it ... it was worth the wait. WaHooo!

I wonder what's up with your Image Bank II? ... usually battery depletion power issues can be traced back to the battery itself, or the charger. Once the H4D/60 adapter is available, I'll probably sell my Bank-II so someone with a 31, 39, 40 or 50 back can use it without the H body.

The Superwide C replacement notion is intriguing ... I loved that V camera

Question: when shooting with the 60 on the tech camera, have you used the double res LCD to check focus? I tried it on the H4D, and zooming in and scrolling seemed to work pretty well even in relatively bright outdoor light.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is good news on the battery adapter Woody. Especially that it uses the Sony L batteries which come in different capacities ... because I have 6 of them, including 3 still in the package and 2 excellent chargers, one of which is unused.

My 60 arrives this week and I can't wait to put it to work ... Hassey seems to have done a really good job with it ... it was worth the wait. WaHooo!

I wonder what's up with your Image Bank II? ... usually battery depletion power issues can be traced back to the battery itself, or the charger. Once the H4D/60 adapter is available, I'll probably sell my Bank-II so someone with a 31, 39, 40 or 50 back can use it without the H body.

Question: when shooting with the 60 on the tech camera, have you used the double res LCD to check focus? I tried it on the H4D, and zooming in and scrolling seemed to work pretty well even in relatively bright outdoor light.

-Marc
    Marc - Could be on the batteries. They are old, and there's not much to go wrong on the the Imagebank. Yes on the LCD. It's not instantaneous - I suspect that the 60 meg is a bit slower than the 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa 12 Max + 60meg 'blad + 36mm Schneider APO. The back had 10mm of rise. f11 ISO 100 1 sec. 6 images focus stacked with Helicon Focus. The high resolution "HPF" focusing ring really facilitates focus stacking. The Schneider handles extreme backlight very well - not a hint of purple fringing and very little veiling flare. There is a small amount of uncorrected color shift (it's actually over corrected) because I got lazy and opened the aperture rather than lengthening the shutter speed to make to "flat field" scene calibration exposure.

This will be my Daily Blog post for Thursday.
    Was this ambient lit, or could/did you use the newly available flash sync, and could have tamed the window light with fast shutter speed flash sync?

Shelby Lewis

One more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

-Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Was this ambient lit, or could/did you use the newly available flash sync, and could have tamed the window light with fast shutter speed flash sync?
    Ambient light. Could have used flash to better balance interior to exterior (or shot at a different time of day) - haven't tried the flash sync with the back but have no reason to think that it doesn't work.

Shelby Lewis

I'm on a posting spree again... all of these Mamiya 80/2.8D wide open I believe.

More from yesterday's walk.

My oldest boy:

And my daughter showing some 'tude... all in jest, but you'd be hard pressed to realize it if you didn't know it. (what a handful!)

Post Thanks / Like

Burned, then frozen. March 20,2011
    A tribute to the first day of Spring.
    Cambo WDS, 47xl, P30. f5.6, 1/500sec

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe next time I'll actually get the image to post. Duh.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe next time I'll actually get the image to post. Duh.
    I really hope you do, Jamie. I'd love to see your work shared here. Your gallery is spectacular!

Post Thanks / Like

Burned, then frozen. March 20,2011
    A tribute to the first day of Spring.
    Cambo WDS, 47xl, P30. f5.6, 1/500sec
    OK, maybe I'll get it right this time!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Jamie. Wonderful, silvery b/w.

We had a very similar first day of Spring. Still waiting for the lion to go out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd, I messed w/ doing a color version, but the colors were so muted, it just begged to go b/w. I think its going to make a nice print.

Still trying to figure out a few things w/ posting to this site: I'd like to post screen-size images, rather than thumbnails. Is that something only gallery members can do?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd, I messed w/ doing a color version, but the colors were so muted, it just begged to go b/w. I think its going to make a nice print.

Still trying to figure out a few things w/ posting to this site: I'd like to post screen-size images, rather than thumbnails. Is that something only gallery members can do?
    I sent you an email about posting larger. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

A sunny South Lake Union with a Phase One 645AF, 55-110F4.5 and Aptus-II 7

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I like the second one. Nice color composition and detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got to play with the Phase One IQ180 last night. Amazing back! Here are a couple I took from the balcony as I was contemplating rappelling 9 stories to the ground floor with it using power cords. Phase One 645 DF + Schneider 110mm

Grunge version via HDR Efex Pro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty interesting results, Carlos. I actually prefer the first. The DR is such that the rendering of the image overall is very pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Lloyd, the first one is better. The grunge shot is just to point out how much detail there is in the file. Also remember that I had to reduce the file to 50% for flickr and these are not the full sized shots.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount of detail is stunning, even reduced. I reviewed some full-sized files from the IQ180, and I have to say, they were mind blowing in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos, how's the display res. and the ability to check focus? Was live view functional in the unit you tested?