Site Sponsors
Page 122 of 386 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 172 222 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,100 of 19289

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Very nice, Woody. I really like the detail, and the light in the high branches. If it were my shot, I think I'd go for a square or horizontal crop that left out much of the trunks, but that's just m.h.o.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Color

Mono

H4D-60, 28mm
    Tareq..

The colour picture looks better on my laptop... the colours look very OTT and HDR on my Eizo - perhaps the colours were like that?

I do not like it, but nobody else has commented...

This looks as if you used single off camera flash, HDR, DOF merge, sunlight and tungsten? ¿Perhaps the net curtains on the window warmed the colours on the right hand side of the picture? Presumably DOF was not a problem with the WA?

The H4D-60 is a great camera, and the raw files will stand a great deal of manipulation without falling apart.. did you downsize with Jack's action?

Did you try a faster shutter speed to prevent the sun-lit highlight burning out?

I would have thought that HDR would have filled the shadows better, and have enabled you to do without the flash?

There seems to be a lot of fish-eye distortion.

Reflectors (e.g. a projection screen) can work wonders in a picture like this, even if you have a big studio flash system available. You can use a reflector, screen or curtain to tone down highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

From yesterday. Both taken with the 110mm f2, iirc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiddi View Post
    Oksana, shot "over" St. Anton (luckily one fine day, the rest of the week I was there it was raining and snowing...):

Leaf AFI-II 7, Elinchrom Ranger
    Seems a bit odd that the cast shadow of the figure goes one way, and the shadows from the coat and her face go another ... perhaps in this case just straight-on fill located closer to the camera may have worked better because the key light from the sun left-to-right was so strong? I think I would have feathered the strobe fall-off slightly upwards to keep a bit more detail in the foreground snow.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Tareq..

The colour picture looks better on my laptop... the colours look very OTT and HDR on my Eizo - perhaps the colours were like that?

This looks as if you used single off camera flash, HDR, DOF merge, sunlight and tungsten? ¿Perhaps the net curtains on the window warmed the colours on the right hand side of the picture? Presumably DOF was not a problem with the WA?

The H4D-60 is a great camera, and the raw files will stand a great deal of manipulation without falling apart.. did you downsize with Jack's action?

Did you try a faster shutter speed to prevent the sun-lit highlight burning out?

I would have thought that HDR would have filled the shadows better, and have enabled you to do without the flash?

Reflectors (e.g. a projection screen) can work wonders in a picture like this, even if you have a big studio flash system available. You can use a reflector, screen or curtain to tone down highlights.
    Tareg needs a bubble level and leveling plate maybe? ... Gotta really watch it with the 28 ... it's pretty close to a 22 or 23mm FOV 35mm equivalent on the 60 I believe. Phocus DAC should have corrected any barrel distortion I would've thought.

As to the technique itself, different strokes for different folks.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq..

Thank you eery much that you finally commented on my post.

Well, the problem on these indoor shot is as you said with mixing lights sources, windows sun light, tungsten, and maybe reflection of both from the floor, but i didn't use any of flash there, and you are right, it was a slow shutter speed but not for all shots because i did shoot 5 shots for HDR, one of exposure was at higher SS [maybe 1/60 or closer].

I chose those shots under Tungsten WB, i did another bracketed shots with "daylight" WB, it looks better for me than this one, but i didn't give it a try.

No, i didn't use Jack's action for downsizing, i even don't know there is one by him, i just downsized by Photoshop, but i exported from Phocus as a small TIFF [TIFF 4x5] then i resized down again by Photoshop.

The shot looks the same on my Apple Cine.Disp 30" and both MacBookPro, i didn't try to check my Eizo but all my monitors are calibrated, so i think on your calibrated monitor is the right one, but if both of your computers are calibrated but different result then check again.

So in this case of shooting indoor with mixed lights, what is the best way to have better WB or result for colors and so? in fact i loved that i saw different color cats here more than the other shots i've taken with another WB and only warm yellowish color, but maybe others will prefer the other shots over this one here, i will post another shot later, but do you want me to post with HDR or without HDR?

About that fish-eye effect, well, i have a bubble level as Marc said, but this didn't help much, because if i correct one side, the another side distort, you know people on this kind of places you need some tilt/shift option, or correct by software, and in all cases, i really love to see some distortion there, i will see the another shots as i think few have better free-distorted effect.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Tareg needs a bubble level and leveling plate maybe? ... Gotta really watch it with the 28 ... it's pretty close to a 22 or 23mm FOV 35mm equivalent on the 60 I believe. Phocus DAC should have corrected any barrel distortion I would've thought.

As to the technique itself, different strokes for different folks.

-Marc
    My name is Tareq [Q] not Tareg [G]

I am not sure that i used that DAC option, but i will give it a look again and see, or i use another shots with better distortion and enable that Phocus DAC to have way better free-like distortion, but i am not rich enough as some here to have tech camera or even that HTS1.5 adapter, sometimes the lens alone can't solve the distortion, and if i try to have free-distortion i may end up with not lovely or wanted compositions, think about it.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Tareq [Q] not Tareg [G]

I am not sure that i used that DAC option, but i will give it a look again and see, or i use another shots with better distortion and enable that Phocus DAC to have way better free-like distortion, but i am not rich enough as some here to have tech camera or even that HTS1.5 adapter, sometimes the lens alone can't solve the distortion, and if i try to have free-distortion i may end up with not lovely or wanted compositions, think about it.
    Tareq,

I'm a Phase/Mamiya user, but I'm quite sure you'll find that that Phocus will do a very similar job with barrel distortion on your Hassy 28 as Capture one does on the Phamiya 28, as long as you are very careful to level the camera in setting up the shot. I can't imagine that this is a shot that would require a lens rise to establish good vertical alignment, as its just not that tall a space.

As for the overall exposure difficulties due to the strong outdoor light, I'm just not a fan of the HDR look. Call me old school, but I'd rather see dark shadows in areas that are naturally dark, rather than having darker areas appear unnaturally 'stretched', and seeing the color shifts and haloing, etc. that go with overdone HDR work. The solution may have simply been to set up the shot at a time of day that gave you a closer balance of indoor and outdoor lighting values, and to have used a shorter shutter speed to have further balanced the light.

The other comment that I'd offer is that you really do need to work very hard at balancing the color of your lighting sources. The color casts in the floor and ceiling are not ideal, and they may also have been further saturated by the HDR work.

I agree, when I post, I do it because I am hoping to receive some response. I am new to posting here, and haven't posted many images, but when I do, I hope to receive critique, and not just pats on the back. However, when no one comments, I try not to take it personally

Best,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    Tareq,

I'm a Phase/Mamiya user, but I'm quite sure you'll find that that Phocus will do a very similar job with barrel distortion on your Hassy 28 as Capture one does on the Phamiya 28, as long as you are very careful to level the camera in setting up the shot. I can't imagine that this is a shot that would require a lens rise to establish good vertical alignment, as its just not that tall a space.

As for the overall exposure difficulties due to the strong outdoor light, I'm just not a fan of the HDR look. Call me old school, but I'd rather see dark shadows in areas that are naturally dark, rather than having darker areas appear unnaturally 'stretched', and seeing the color shifts and haloing, etc. that go with overdone HDR work. The solution may have simply been to set up the shot at a time of day that gave you a closer balance of indoor and outdoor lighting values, and to have used a shorter shutter speed to have further balanced the light.

The other comment that I'd offer is that you really do need to work very hard at balancing the color of your lighting sources. The color casts in the floor and ceiling are not ideal, and they may also have been further saturated by the HDR work.

I agree, when I post, I do it because I am hoping to receive some response. I am new to posting here, and haven't posted many images, but when I do, I hope to receive critique, and not just pats on the back. However, when no one comments, I try not to take it personally

Best,
    And you know something? I intentionally chose this shot to do HDR and posted here, it has that color shift issue as you said, so i posted to have comments and solutions rather than i post normal better balanced shot and not much comments about color/exposure,...etc.

I will post another shot of same view/scene and see if you will give me different comments/critiques.

In fact i also like to have some contrasty shots and not into HDR, i did this HDR for another forums not here, but i was lazy to post non-HDR corrected one, but honestly speaking, when i post a shot here with some or many issues i get more comments and opinions than posting normal less-issues shots and get nothing or just replies such as: Good shot, nice images, cool,....

Thanks!!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, is this one better?

Same shot but no HDR and i chose only one shot of the bracketed and worked on it, changed the WB to daylight and color temp as well [i changed the tint to 0 as well], and Phocus DAC is on, little adjustments on Phocus and then Photoshop.
    Tareq

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

World's only images from a IQ 180 Phase Back of Death Valleys famous racetrack area. This is a focus stack of 5 frames from the new 35mmD lens.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tareq,
    To my eye the new version is much, much nicer. Colors and exposure are much more natural!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    World's only images from a IQ 180 Phase Back of Death Valleys famous racetrack area. This is a focus stack of 5 frames from the new 35mmD lens.

Guy, how does the new 35 stack up (no pun intended) - edge/corner sharpness and C.A. was always an issue with the older 35, even on the crop sensor of the P30. Very curious to know if the new version is truly a new lens, or just repackaged!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you eery much that you finally commented on my post.

So in this case of shooting indoor with mixed lights, what is the best way to have better WB...?
    Tareq... I am glad you appreciated my post... and I too prefer you later version.

There are experts here...but, generally the solution is to only use flash and sunlight, and change any tungsten bulbs for daylight balanced bulbs.

I attach a picture (for estate agent) taken with tungsten and sunlight (not MF). There was a window behind me, and I put a projector screen on the floor to light the ceiling. I drew the curtains you can see to avoid a hotspot by the television... in one version of the picture I used a reflector outside to reflect light into that window.

I have made no attempt to correct the tungsten, as there seems to be enough daylight to prevent a cast.

I took this picture when I had no digital camera that could satisfactorily be used with off-camera flash, but I would now use my 4 Metzs as fill, adding exposures if I needed more fill for a big room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq,
    To my eye the new version is much, much nicer. Colors and exposure are much more natural!
    Ah ok, even though i don't feel they are the best, i feel i can do better.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq... I am glad you appreciated my post... and I too prefer you later version.

There are experts here...but, generally the solution is to only use flash and sunlight, and change any tungsten bulbs for daylight balanced bulbs.

I attach a picture (for estate agent) taken with tungsten and sunlight (not MF). There was a window behind me, and I put a projector screen on the floor to light the ceiling. I drew the curtains you can see to avoid a hotspot by the television... in one version of the picture I used a reflector outside to reflect light into that window.

I have made no attempt to correct the tungsten, as there seems to be enough daylight to prevent a cast.

I took this picture when I had no digital camera that could satisfactorily be used with off-camera flash, but I would now use my 4 Metzs as fill, adding exposures if I needed more fill for a big room.
    Thanks!

I thought that if i shoot without flash i will have better natural light result, but maybe i think i should try with flash and see, i have a powerful flash reflector that can light the entire place or room but i didn't like to make it dominant of the ambient light, but i have to give it a try and see.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is an awesome shot, making me wanting to be there shooting as well!!!
    I really don't get impressed by IQ at that web size, i have to see at original size, don't forget that i have 60mp which is less about 20mp than IQ180, whether you used tech camera or not, at low sizes even 22mp MF will be great.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Some thing new, from a trip thru Oregon last week:

Painted Hills, with overcast skies and wet ground, near dusk.
    Cambo WDS, 47xl, P30, single exposure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some thing new, from a trip thru Oregon last week:

Painted Hills, with overcast skies and wet ground, near dusk.
    Cambo WDS, 47xl, P30, single exposure
    This is a nice shot, and i feel jealous that people using tech cameras more for outdoors and indoors with Mf.

I wish if you took more of above or sky, i feel the shot is cropped and if you took wider or say a pan this will be a stunning no doubt.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shot Bud, but your clouds got ghosted
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ever since the announcement of the IQ series I have been assuring myself that I don't need anything more than a P65+. I don't. I don't. I don't.

So on the last day of the 65% discount offer, the end of March, I told myself I don't need more than a P65+.

Then I put down my deposit.

I have no self-control. I don't. I don't. I don't.

Bill

ps And I can't wait for the new back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Great shot Bud, but your clouds got ghosted
    Yea i know . Need to fix that as soon as I get time.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photograph taken during a walkaround Chinatown after a rooftop shoot of the city skyline. Handheld, ISO800.

Color version and the skyline photographs in my blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Great images Woody, you're obviously enjoying the TC.

Shot this last night in the Outback. Cambo RS, P65+, 72mm, two shifted frames stitched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Death Valley - Devils Golf Course

P40+ new 35D lens. Someone asked if I liked this lens better than the old and I do . At least my copy is better than any of the 3 previous versions i had.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yum! on that shot, Guy. needs a bit of tilt, he, he

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You must have one mother of a comuter to handle that!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Death Valley - Devils Golf Course

P40+ new 35D lens. Someone asked if I liked this lens better than the old and I do . At least my copy is better than any of the 3 previous versions i had.

WOW Guy!

Who needs all those fancy IQ features when you can produce a shot like that with a plain old P40+.... very nice capture.

Would have been nice to see a focus stacked version of that one also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might have one actually. Heading home today get on big monitor and see what I have done. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice image Guy. Looks like the new 35 is indeed a very high performing lens. Love to see more/hear more about it when you get into your images at home.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    From yesterday. Both taken with the 110mm f2, iirc.
    Lovely Graham... stunning stuff.
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As expected, i did another HDR shot, and to my eyes i don't see much difference in color it can cause, i know that HDR look is not natural, but i prefer HDR dynamic range because this is what it does, and the details is way popping over normal natural one, but the conclusion is that for both shots, the WB is bad and not as i want, so what i have to do, shoot with flash combining it with natural light or something else?

HDR

Non-HDR
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is one taken on film, with my old Hassy 203FE, in Martinique three years ago...I need a holiday urgently

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots of Death Valley, Guy.

Tareq, I like the look of your HD interior. It reminds me slightly of a Renaissance painting. It is not overdone, just looks incredibly detailed and lush. Do you use a grey card for white balance?

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Great shots of Death Valley, Guy.

Tareq, I like the look of your HD interior. It reminds me slightly of a Renaissance painting. It is not overdone, just looks incredibly detailed and lush. Do you use a grey card for white balance?

Quentin
    Thank you very much, Quentin.

No, i have that card but i didn't use, so you sure it will help much or makes a difference?!!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Professional & Baudolino - great shots!!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yosemite mid March 4 shot stitch 360mm Nikkor T-ed f16 m-line 2 p45

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq:

try including the grey card in one shot set the camera and Phocus for daylight. then look at the color temp and tint settings. Then set a new white balance in Phocus by picking the grey card. watch the rgb, tint and color temp settings change. you can of course, still tweak, but this will give you a good starting point. The idea is that the neutral gray of the card is used to set the rgb values all equal. The wild card is that if the light on the gray card is not full spectrum, the card should not really look neutral gray. For example, if the card is washed by the warm light reflected down the stairwell and you white balance off the card, your result will overcompensate and make the scene too blue. still a very useful method

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Death Valley Mesquite Sand Dunes. P40+ with 300mm . BTW thanks for the nice comments. Heading out for a gig this morning and will catch up with all these images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Tareq:

try including the grey card in one shot set the camera and Phocus for daylight. then look at the color temp and tint settings. Then set a new white balance in Phocus by picking the grey card. watch the rgb, tint and color temp settings change. you can of course, still tweak, but this will give you a good starting point. The idea is that the neutral gray of the card is used to set the rgb values all equal. The wild card is that if the light on the gray card is not full spectrum, the card should not really look neutral gray. For example, if the card is washed by the warm light reflected down the stairwell and you white balance off the card, your result will overcompensate and make the scene too blue. still a very useful method
    Thank you very much!

I will give it a try or a look and see what i'll get.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Death Valley Mesquite Sand Dunes. P40+ with 300mm . BTW thanks for the nice comments. Heading out for a gig this morning and will catch up with all these images.
    Nice shot as usual!
    my take on this image is, i wish if it is more contrasty, maybe you prefer it as it is, but i would like to see if you punch it a bit.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did and I agree it could use a touch more. It's pre dawn so no real hard light

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did and I agree it could use a touch more. It's pre dawn so no real hard light
    Yes, i understand.

Here is my take on your shot, am not good at it but to show what i mean.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6224/cf014839b.jpg
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks nice but I'm also real careful of trying to avoid a digital look to my files. I know a very fine balance. One reason I like the Dalsa sensors is they seem more neutral or maybe better said is less saturated which in my mind the kodak sensors seem more saturated or punch which I like but I like putting it in than being there all the time. I have gone from loving the Kodak sensors to loving the Dalsa sensors better. Interesting transformation on my part. I'm actually on a more film looking file reason I bought all the Schneider lenses was in my view they have a more film look. Not that either are better or worse just slightly different in look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks nice but I'm also real careful of trying to avoid a digital look to my files. I know a very fine balance. One reason I like the Dalsa sensors is they seem more neutral or maybe better said is less saturated which in my mind the kodak sensors seem more saturated or punch which I like but I like putting it in than being there all the time. I have gone from loving the Kodak sensors to loving the Dalsa sensors better. Interesting transformation on my part. I'm actually on a more film looking file reason I bought all the Schneider lenses was in my view they have a more film look. Not that either are better or worse just slightly different in look.
    I know what do you mean, but i really don't understand why someone use a digital camera to have a film-like result?!!! i have film cameras and digitals, if i want to shoot digital i use digital and never worry how the shots look, and when i use film also i don't worry how the shots look, i can have digital look taken with film pure, and i can do film like with digital camera, at the end i feel if i have to think about the look then i will never feel satisfied, with film i will find issues and with digital i will find issues as well, Bryan our Phase One dealer said that why and what are people talking about "film like"?!!! Honestly speaking, i didn't see any shots taken from a digital camera whatever it is and it was "film-like" look.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You have some neat stuff here, Tareq!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is major wind , major dust and major dust in the air. Will go back later in week and get more. I mean very high winds. Gave my new 110 LS some work to do

Great image Guy, you obviously used the dust in the air to your advantage. The light and subtle tones are beautiful.

Ed