Site Sponsors
Page 127 of 386 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 177 227 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,350 of 19264

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Back to shooting with my TC. Here's a possible blog post from yesterday. TC + 36mm S APO + H4d 60 back.

Post Thanks / Like

RZIID + Aptus54s + 110/2.8, f16 as i recall it, 5 images stich.

dallas view by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Working on some seascapes from last January. All p65+ on PhaseOne DF.
    Coolness. Very nice, and love colours!

Post Thanks / Like

RZIID + Aptus54s + 110/2.8, wide open.

Michelle by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Back to shooting with my TC. Here's a possible blog post from yesterday. TC + 36mm S APO + H4d 60 back.
    Woody, I really like this image!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Stripe

I've seen this wonderful boulder with the stripe running through it many times, but not featured it in any pictures.

This shot involved some precarious tripod work in order to place the camera where I wanted. Then make a number of exposures so that I could focus stitch.

The Arca-Swiss P1 head is fantastic, but doesn't tilt very far. Thus I had to have the tripod at an unstable angle, 45 deg or so and force it against the rocks throughout the refocus, expose process.... lots of muttering too, probably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy these type of images, glad to know others do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Wayne,

I love all of the seascape images. Each is unique and very serene. Was hyperfocal focusing sufficient to achieve the sharpness in the last image? Or did you have to use focus stacking? The sharpness of the rocks coupled with the softness of the sea make for an interesting contrast in textures.
    Joe
    When shooting these type of images sharpness isn't really something I'm going for, so I opt for small apertures for depth of field rather than other techniques. In the image you mentioned, the "sharpness" in the foreground is probably more an artifact of downrezzing ... in the original image there is some softness there, and in fact there is moving water throughout the plant growth on the rocks. It actually looks much better printed than the web jpeg. (at least I like the effect)

The diffraction from such small f/stops also works like a soft focus filter and actually enhances the image (imho). Personally I've found that f/22 and f/32 are often more usable than one might think, as sufficient detail can be pulled back in with some simple sharpening to overcome some of the diffraction. certainly when striving for ultrasharp detail in images such as those recently posted by Guy from the Racetrack in Death Valley focus stacking is a better option.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2 nudes ZD/D3X

I had a chance to get a D3X and a ZD with a AFD II into the studio at the same time. The lighting is the same, the camera systems are clearly different. The Nikon has the new 85 1.8G lens, and the Mamiya, the old 150mm. Both were shot at base ISO, and F9. While this could give some DOF differences, I don't think it matters in this case. The crops are about the same size in pixels, near enough to the same zoom level for me. Same for the full size images. The Nikon images were processed in LR3, and the ZD in C1 v 6. I tried to get the B&W conversion about the same. To me, the ZD holds it's own against the Nikon in these images, and I like the tonal range in the ZD ones a bit better. In round numbers, the ZD kit is 1/2 the price. However, it does lock up occasionally where the Nikon never does! The high iso performance is a bit different too.

Lets see if I can serve them from my site rather than drop box.....

ZD

D3X

The following are links to nude images ...... please don't click on them if your boss will be unhappy, or if they will offend you.

ZD
    http://www.private.jonesii.net/2011_...s/MMFC6102.jpg

Nikon D3X
    http://www.private.jonesii.net/2011_...s/DSC_0660.jpg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting comparisons Dave. Thanks for sharing.

I like the way both handle the skin, but the ZD seems to hold a little more detail in the shadow areas. The D3x shadows seem very blocked up by comparison.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

I like the way both handle the skin, but the ZD seems to hold a little more detail in the shadow areas. The D3x shadows seem very blocked up by comparison.
    On re-reading, the ZD was not at Base ISO which is 50, but 100.

I tend to agree with that. I got the ZD at first due to price vs IQ, but as I have used it more against my D300, D7000 and the very brief comparison with the D3X, I find that I much prefer the results of the MFDB. It is not absolute image quality, but rather image character that matter to me. The shadows is one place, and the tones the other. The ZD does smoke the D300 on IQ, and easily beats the D7000, harder to say at the D3X though.

If price performance were the only issue, not my desire to get toys, the D7000 would be the hands down winner, closely followed by the D300.

I'm not a working pro, so all those pesky ROI issues really don't matter to me.

As the tag line says "Abandon all hope"

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

Hard to read this into the comparison, as the processing of the two files is starkly different. Either the D3x was grossly underexposed, or more likely the files just weren't processed as well.

Also seems like this should be in its own thread ... doesn't really seem to belong in this thread.
    Last edited by Wayne Fox; 2nd May 2011 at 22:43.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just received my new Phase One 28mm lens so took it out this evening for a whirl. Low light & breezy but Mr Heron turning up was a bonus!
    P40+, 645DF, 28 f/4.5 2s f/11:

Pixel Peeping version here:
    http://www.grahamwelland.com/Multnom...eron/index.htm
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plymouth, MA

BLASR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, I really like this image!
    Looks like a nice copy of the Phase/28mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet Graham, that is a great lens for a P40+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    Plymouth, MA

BLASR
    Very nice, I like the vignette affect.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, very, very nice. I know this is along the Columbia River Gorge; what is the name of the creek/waterfall?

Post Thanks / Like

As shot from this past weekend, Big Wood River, Idaho
    Mamiya 645, 35mm N 3.5, P30. f11,1/6s
    Jamie

http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    Graham, very, very nice. I know this is along the Columbia River Gorge; what is the name of the creek/waterfall?
    Jamie,

Multnomah Falls near Bridal Veil, OR - just off one of my favorite evening haunts, the Historic Columbia River Highway which runs alongside I-84. In fact I recommend anyone visiting the gorge to take this road if you want to see the best of Oregon scenery.

I love your beautiful morning/evening light shots btw. I'm planning a trip in July out through Idaho myself. It's such an overlooked scenic state.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

As shot from this past weekend, Big Wood River, Idaho
    Mamiya 645, 35mm N 3.5, P30. f11,1/6s
    Very nice. Grads, I'm assuming?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    Very nice. Grads, I'm assuming?
    Yes, in fact stacked grad filters, both 3 stop, plus just a touch of graduation applied in LR. Have I overdone it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in fact stacked grad filters, both 3 stop, plus just a touch of graduation applied in LR. Have I overdone it?
    Not at all. I think some in the forum may argue otherwise, but I think it looks good. Same for the saturation. It's clearly boosted to rather lofty levels, but I'm a fan of that, anyway.

What grads are you using? Lee/Singh-Ray?

Post Thanks / Like

Coulombic,
    Thanks for the kudos. It's a fine line between enough and too much, especially w/ saturation. The closer you get to the line, the harder it is to see it, and then it can be hard to know if you've crossed - and to some people's taste, I know that sometimes I go too far. So feedback is good.
    As for the filters, I use one Lee, one Singh-ray, and a Coken holder, and then I have a mid-size SR for use w/ the Mamiya 28mm. That lens won't accept a filter holder due to it's built-in shade, so it is awkward and hit or miss and often catches light from behind the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got a new lens - a Schneider 48mm APO-Grandagon - which is miraculous with the 60 meg back. I'm experimenting with hand holding it with my Alpa TC - this is obviously more demanding than my 36mm. A sample, which will be the post to my daily photo blog for yesterday. The H4d 60's dynamic range helps tame this very hot daylight. this is a context where the out of the box colors shine.

By the way, somewhere back there I rolled over 1,000 posts on GetDPI. I've got to get a life - way too much time here.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 6th May 2011 at 04:52.

Post Thanks / Like

After a brief flirtation with daylight photography during a few of the overcast days we had in the Phoenix area earlier this spring, I'm back on the night shift...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Just received my new Phase One 28mm lens so took it out this evening for a whirl. Low light & breezy but Mr Heron turning up was a bonus!
    Graham,

We've all seen dozens of shots of this fall, but IMHO, this is one of the best --- great framing and composition, then the fact you got the Heron posing, just takes the shot over the top. Congrats! (And congrats on the "new" 28 too!!!)
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, simply a superb shot of the falls and I agree, the best one you've posted of it so far. (from all the ones I've previously seen). From what I can tell, the 28mm looks like a very desirable lens for landscapes and the Heron definitely adds an interesting element to the shot. Now how much did you say these plastic poseable Herons cost?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Now how much did you say these plastic poseable Herons cost?

Dave (D&A)
    Darn, busted again.

The heron is a tough fit in the bag plus putting it in place is a real bummer and a challenge. (Actually, I am convinced that some folks travel with bags of pristine fall leaves for those leaves on the rock shots, ditto for bunch of wild flowers in the foreground ...).
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn’t a single bird of the Heron genus be called a *heron*, as Graham does in his last post?

Great shot, but.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

Pixel Peeping version here:
    http://www.grahamwelland.com/Multnom...eron/index.htm
    Good framing and timing. Though, I have a couple of technical observations to share. Your white balance is pretty cold; necessarily, this has imparted a rather blue cast to much of the image. Additionally, I would guess it's in part of the wb issue, but the greens appear both desaturated, and rather gray.

For the hell of it, here's my version of the same (not taken with MF, sadly):

Multnomah Falls. by coulombic, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your white balance is pretty cold; necessarily, this has imparted a rather blue cast to much of the image. Additionally, I would guess it's in part of the wb issue, but the greens appear both desaturated, and rather gray.

Sorry, but since you brought it up I have to disagree. On my calibrated monitor, Graham's version looks very nice -- slightly saturated and relatively neutral WB. By contrast, your posted version looks very warm, yellow to almost where the darker greens have muddied and almost up to Velvia type saturation -- your log jam is red-orange and not wet-wood brown...

That said, I respect that WB and saturation are matters of taste. And FTR I usually prefer a touch warm and a touch saturated myself, so would add maybe 400K temp and 1 point of tint (in C1 terms) and leave saturation as-is to Graham's version if it were mine.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good framing and timing. Though, I have a couple of technical observations to share. Your white balance is pretty cold; necessarily, this has imparted a rather blue cast to much of the image. Additionally, I would guess it's in part of the wb issue, but the greens appear both desaturated, and rather gray.

Well, maybe this is a taste/monitor calibration thing. I'm not a fan of yellow greens as they don't match my view of reality. The WB was set as daylight and pretty much matches what I saw. With respect to gray greens, that may also be an effect of downres of the original image with contrast/sharpness at this size. I don't see that in the full size image at all.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Wouldn’t a single bird of the Heron genus be called a *heron*, as Graham does in his last post?

Great shot, but.
    Funny, Here I was thinking this was a photography forum...

Post Thanks / Like

Graham this is uber cool shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Sorry, but since you brought it up I have to disagree. On my calibrated monitor, Graham's version looks very nice -- slightly saturated and relatively neutral WB. By contrast, your posted version looks very warm, yellow to almost where the darker greens have muddied and almost up to Velvia type saturation -- your log jam is red-orange and not wet-wood brown...

That said, I respect that WB and saturation are matters of taste. And FTR I usually prefer a touch warm and a touch saturated myself, so would add maybe 400K temp and 1 point of tint (in C1 terms) and leave saturation as-is to Graham's version if it were mine.
    I'm with jack here ... on my display Graham's image looks great, and the other is much too warm.

I get the feeling from Graham's image that the white balance is slightly warmer at the top, and get's cooler as you get deeper into the image ... which is very much like I would expect from a location like this.

fantastic image Graham ... love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't think it is fair to compare these two images on the basis of color balance: they are both wonderful images, and are each a legitimate interpretation of the scene, each as seen and experienced by a different individual... we all see differently, and of course, lighting and other conditions vary. In the case of early morning/late evening, we all know that light color can change dramatically in about 2 seconds.
    Seen individually, I think each of these images stand out as exemplary; only when compared side by side does one seem overly 'warm' or 'cool'.
    Gotta say though, I do like the heron, and Graham's image does seem to point up the benefits of MF, as the detail is stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie,

I absolutely agree with you. Coulombic's shot is a very nice image of the falls, especially in the more typical damp misty conditions that we get. Mine was taken at the end of a clear day at 7:30 or so in the evening so I'm actually a little surprised that it isn't more blue in the shadows actually.

At the end of the day these are just our personal interpretations of the scene and different looks appeal to different folks.

As regards the heron, well I must have shot this scene fifty times in the past fifteen years and I've NEVER seen a heron turn up. Good job it was a heron otherwise 2s exposure would have resulted in a grey fuzzy blob. It was my last of four shots with the heron in it and it was agonizing waiting for the shutter to trip before it moved or flew off. Only this last one made it.
    Ylem ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with what has been expressed regarding the color balance differences seen in the two images of the falls. Different times & days is certainly and most always a factor in how a scene is rendered. I often go back to some of my favorite outdoor subjects that are photographed repeatedly throughout the year and am often quite taken by these same differences. Of course personal interpretation, camera /lens used and post processing also play a role. As mentioned, the MF detail in Graham's image is stunning.

Aside from this, I'd be curious the time (in weeks/months/ etc.) that exists between these two images. The tree stump has obviously moved as well as the surrounding fauna has changed.

As I mentioned previously, in my opinion the heron truly adds a very interesting element to the shot. Not only for the obvious reasons of beauty and the unexpected nature of seeing a heron in such a setting, but it adds a perspective of scale as to just how high and long those falls are. It's amazing how something so small in size relative to the entire image, can contribute in such a big way, to it's dynamics.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 7th May 2011 at 05:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually don't think it is fair to compare these two images on the basis of color balance:
    Well, the poster of the second image was doing exactly that when he posted it and critiqued Graham's choice of WB ... so comparing them is completely fair. While Graham's might be a little cooler than I might choose, the second one is far too warm to me, in contrast to the opinion of the poster (sorry, don't know the name since there is no signature in the post). I feel Graham's tones capture the mood of the location (i've been there and have images from a couple of decades ago), as I mentioned the tones getting cooler as you get down deep in the image.

That doesn't make the second one wrong ... I just disagree with the critique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Well, the poster of the second image was doing exactly that when he posted it and critiqued Graham's choice of WB ... so comparing them is completely fair. While Graham's might be a little cooler than I might choose, the second one is far too warm to me, in contrast to the opinion of the poster (sorry, don't know the name since there is no signature in the post). I feel Graham's tones capture the mood of the location (i've been there and have images from a couple of decades ago), as I mentioned the tones getting cooler as you get down deep in the illymage.

That doesn't make the second one wrong ... I just disagree with the critique.
    Actually, I wasn't "comparing." As prefaced by my comment, "for the hell of it." I was simply posting a similar image I'd taken. While the two are obviously comparable, I wasn't intentionally saying, "Mine's right, yours is wrong." So, yeah, we can possibly move on from this nonsensical line of dialog.

After viewing both images from my laptop, and from my Adobe 1998-calibrated Dell screen, I feel as if I necessarily stand corrected in my comments. On my laptop's LED-LCD, it's quite blue; however, on my calibrated monitor, the greens are both accurate and saturated. It's possibly a few hundred K cooler than I'd still prefer, but my original statements are not specifically applicable. By the same, while my image is pretty brown-yellow. Some calibration clearly needs to be performed on my laptop's LCD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On my laptop's LED-LCD, it's quite blue; SNIP Some calibration clearly needs to be performed on my laptop's LCD.
    That was partially more my point, coupled with we all have our own WB preference -- was not commenting on your image specifically, but rather color in general, countering what you were claiming you saw in Graham's image compared to what I was seeing. It was a good discussion and it underscored the importance of having properly (and regularly) calibrated monitors for all of us, so I'm glad you brought it up!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

C1 conversion, Mamiya RZIID + Aptus54s + 50mm/4.5 + some lighting

Pondering by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Last edited by SergeiR; 8th May 2011 at 10:04. Reason: details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    C1 conversion, Mamiya RZIID + Aptus54s + 50mm/4.5 + some lighting

Pondering
    Nice, clean and simple! WTG!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Sinar 54M-Mamiya AFD II-Mamiya 120mm Macro F11/ 1/125 - Elinchrom Rotalux-Ranger RX AS - 6 Images/Helicon Focus

Link to the Original to see more detail of the texture.

http://galupi20.smugmug.com/Portrait...4_F7jqqDq-O-LB

Luis

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Stunning image SergeIR.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wedding Proposal

Had an opportunity to photograph a wedding proposal on the northshore of Oahu this past weekend. We had to walk along the beach quite a distance because a helicopter was dropping flowers on the couple. Too difficult and far to carry my profoto strobes.

Instead, attached a recently purchased Metz 54MZ-3 on the Hasselblad H4d-40. Did some preliminary metering and decided to shoot program mode, iso 200 with TTL and camera compensation -2/3.

By the way, she said yes!

Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been away for a week and am glad to be back looking at such great images - everybody's, but Woody's and Graham's in particular. Inspiring!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from Utah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And another.