The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I agree with Bill, Charlie. The composition is very will done. I especially like the separation between the span and the two buildings in the lower right-hand corner. And just so you know, you're killing me with that MFDB set-up. But you're making it sing.

PSon

Imprisoned Series
Kodak Pro 645M Back + Mamiya 645 AFD + 1.9/80

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Hoa Quynh
This type of flower is highly regarded in Vietnam due to its rarity and time of blossom; at night time only. I do not know the english name for this flower.
Rollei 6008AF + 75LVr + Super-Angulon 2.8/50 PQS MF
Lovely image Son, both technically and artistically

Woody

PSon

Thanks Woody for your comment!

I was not happy with the file quality and composition of the shrub got trapped in the fence. Last evening I returned to the scene to redo the composition and this time I want to see another fast normal lens at work. The last two images were taken at F2 and F16 respectively. What f stop do you think work better for this image?

Rollei 6008AF + Schneider HFT 2.0/80 PQ + Sinar 75LVr

Last edited:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Son - of the last two images taken at F2 and F16 respectively, I prefer the F16 image because the increased detail lets me "feel" the bite of the fence cutting through the exposed tree, particularly in the lower right hand corner where the touch of red is on the fence (it is also nice to see the contrast in different textures in this area; rusting metal, rotted wood). However, I do prefer the softness in the sky and edge of the building in the upper left corner of the F2 image. This softness seems to hold more promise (mystery) for the two protagonists entwined in most of the frame.

PSon

Charlie,
You nailed several points that I tried to capture: 1) the fence cutting through the exposed tree, 2) the contrast in textures between the rotted and dried surrounding wood, 3) the right hand corner where the fence has rusted to bright red (the Golden Rule), 4) the differences in softness and sharpness at different f stops. The final point you suggested was in some way pointed out by one of my colleagues. In order to combine these two elements from the different f stops, I will have to refocus the plane of focus of interest to achieve the effects and perhaps ending up at f5.6. I hope to achieve this today.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

PSon

Charlie,
Your image of the Brooklyn Bridge was very well composed like others have mentioned. My favorite part of the image is the open triangle space on the top right corner that you recreated using the lining cables from the bridge.
Best Regards,
-Son

steflaurent974

Shot with the ALPA 12 swa and the Schneider 24mm Apo digitar with the center filter (P25+ Phase back). I do have difficulties to fix the colors I want, the files are so rich !!! :)

PSon

Shot with the ALPA 12 swa and the Schneider 24mm Apo digitar with the center filter (P25+ Phase back). I do have difficulties to fix the colors I want, the files are so rich !!! :)

Dr. Laurent, I find that the richness in colors is often associated with my Schneider optics in Rollei mount. I believe this is what you are experiencing with your image. The image is lovely and very sharp as well but the distortion could be fixed to make it even a better image.

I also love the leading lines that help to create such depth to the image.

Best Regards,
Son

Last edited:

steflaurent974

You're right Son I have this 'problem' with the 47xl also, adding the saturation given by the P25+ : suddenly things are more difficult ; with the M8 files, I don't mind pushing saturation or contrast, it works quite easily.
But with those medium format files, humhum not so easy !! A part of the problem I think is the lighting of the scene, wich is near flat : and then come the P25+ who find colors in the flat light. Thank you Phase for this, ...and I still have a lot to learn in the treatment of the files....

Stef

eleanorbrown

I love the magenta bike in the foreground!!! Great shot and great color all the way around. Eleanor

You're right Son I have this 'problem' with the 47xl also, adding the saturation given by the P25+ : suddenly things are more difficult ; with the M8 files, I don't mind pushing saturation or contrast, it works quite easily.
But with those medium format files, humhum not so easy !! A part of the problem I think is the lighting of the scene, wich is near flat : and then come the P25+ who find colors in the flat light. Thank you Phase for this, ...and I still have a lot to learn in the treatment of the files....

Stef

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Shot with the ALPA 12 swa and the Schneider 24mm Apo digitar with the center filter (P25+ Phase back). I do have difficulties to fix the colors I want, the files are so rich !!! :

The colors look great....

Try using the correction filter in PS CS4 for perspective correction.[Filter_ Distort_Lens Correction_Trabsform_Vertical Perspective]...looks like you are not level and it is an easy fix to bring the lines back to vertical. I have to do it on my Alpa TC when I do not have the bubble level attached.

Bob

steflaurent974

I have to make a precision here : there is no need to straighten vertical lines because they are !!! I took the shot on a tripod and carrefully align the bubble level on the camera. (there are three bubble levels)

The fact is the photo has been taken in Amsterdam : the town is build on a very soft ground with water canals averywhere so these old building are really not straight, that is one of the fun of the town !!!:ROTFL:

steflaurent974

In the Amsterdam serie, here are three more with better lighting. All the picture where taken with the ALPA 12swa , the Schneider 47Xl apo digitar anda P25+ Phase Back.

Of course the last two are panoramas (made with Photoshop photomerge tool).

PSon

Dr. Laurent, great series of excellent works!

In order to merge the F2 and F16 strengths, I went back to the scene again last evening. This time I took the Planar HFT 2.0/110 PQ and a 9mm extension tube to create the looks. Here is the result at F5.6 as predicted:

Last edited:

steflaurent974

Thank you Son, it seems you achieved your goal : big details on the wood and good bokeh in the background , I like that last one.

jlm

Workshop Member

son; love that last one
charlie: nice shot of the bridge. i live right next to it, manhattan side, have been planning an underbelly series of the bridge. what was your shooting position?market looked like the boardwalk near the old fish market

Status
Not open for further replies.