Site Sponsors
Page 138 of 386 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 238 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,900 of 19288

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    amazing pics...may I ask what kind of shutter speeds, aperture and ISO?
    Of course you may ask... Just kidding.

ISO 50, f4-f8 for exposure, 1/250, lens focused on infiniti

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by macoberly View Post
    Moraine Lake
    P45+, Cambo WDS, 35mm w/ center filter, 4 image stitch.
    Wow! Wonderful image. Great light and composition. Just added Moraine Lake to my bucket list.

Joe

Googaliser

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    What the .... you just happened to have a MF camera in your pocket whilst flying! Amazing, especially shot through a window!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Ditto!

Completely amazing and even more amazing the window was clear enough to capture it.
    Thanks Guys - I was on my way back from a work assignment in the UK. Fortunately a rare upgrade meant I was in the nose of the plane - three super clean windows and my 645DF in its small Kata rucksack. I had heard that a Typhoon was in or around HK - and couldn't believe my luck when I saw the supercell on descent. We were still at over 30,000 feet - this thing was massive. The dynamic range of the IQ is what really blows me away. F/7.1 1/640 manual focus at infinity - so any window crud was out of focus.
    M
    Last edited by Googaliser; 30th July 2011 at 17:34.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    What the .... you just happened to have a MF camera in your pocket whilst flying! Amazing, especially shot through a window!
    Like he's going check that baby too.

Nice job btw, I normally have to sneak pics with my phone or P&S on these types of flights. Sometimes the views are outstanding, although your scene is pretty special. Nice to cut through the nose grease too.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googaliser View Post
    ...The dynamic range of the IQ is what really blows me away...
    M
    Yes, those blues and the pureness of the white are wonderful. It's these tones that make MF worth it to me

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Typhoon over Hong Kong
    IQ180, SK 55mm, ISO 50 out of a jumbo window.
    M
    Wow...once in a lifetime image. Spectacular!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doors off helicopter flight over Napali coast in Kauai. Awesome experience!

IQ180 cambo rs, HR32mm

wow ... fantastic

I'm in Kauai now and debating on a helicopter ride ... what time of day was this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone

I just got into the world of digital MF, and have been shooting with an AFD II with Aptus 65S back for the last 2 weeks or so.

I'm based out of Dubai and have been active in motorsport photography and concert photography, shooting with a Nikon D3s and a D700 FF digital system. I've come to love MF since I picked up a 500CM months ago, and have found my way into a MFDBs, so here are a couple of shots from recent photowalks

A local Emirati gentleman who was sitting along a street in Satwa in the old part of Dubai. Most gracious of him to let me take his pic. ISO400, 1/320s, f4, 210mm ULD

There's always time for prayer

Room for one more...shot at 1/180, f4, ISO400, 210mm ULD

This one was shot at the Deira Creek wharfage. A very friendly and sporting gentleman who was all too willing to have us capture him in his natural environment ISO400, 1/140s, f3.6, 150mm lens. The original image was so sharp that I could tell the time on his watch

Portrait of an Iranian sailor - ISO200, 1.230s, f9, 150mm

Last one for now - this guy just reminded me of the king in '300'.. shot at 1/800s, f3.6, ISO400 with the 150mm lens

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't the droid you're looking for - shot at ISO400, f4, 1/400s, 210mm/4 ULD lens, AFD II with Aptus 65S MFDB

I've been struggling to get sharp and noise-free images with this setup. ISO400 is pretty bad, and cleaning it up with NoiseNinja results in images coming out a bit soft. A huge challenge when shooting in evenings, since the best results seem to come from f8 and smaller, at speeds faster than 1/400 handheld.

100% crops aren't pin-sharp, so either my technique needs improvement, or my expectations are warped and I should expect some softness at 100%...

If anyone has tips on how I can improve image sharpness, or reset my expectations ("sharpness on a 210 lens at 1/125? are you crazy"), that'd be great
    Last edited by ghoonk; 31st July 2011 at 04:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the lavender shot Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Love the lavender shot Wayne!
    Ditto - a classic scene nicely captured. I didn't realize that you had these fields in UT!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50
    Wayne, great capture!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Typhoon over Hong Kong
    IQ180, SK 55mm, ISO 50 out of a jumbo window.
    M
    Spectacular!!!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
    Hi everyone

I just got into the world of digital MF, and have been shooting with an AFD II with Aptus 65S back for the last 2 weeks or so.

I'm based out of Dubai and have been active in motorsport photography and concert photography, shooting with a Nikon D3s and a D700 FF digital system. I've come to love MF since I picked up a 500CM months ago, and have found my way into a MFDBs, so here are a couple of shots from recent photowalks

A local Emirati gentleman who was sitting along a street in Satwa in the old part of Dubai. Most gracious of him to let me take his pic. ISO400, 1/320s, f4, 210mm ULD

There's always time for prayer

This one was shot at the Deira Creek wharfage. A very friendly and sporting gentleman who was all too willing to have us capture him in his natural environment ISO400, 1/140s, f3.6, 150mm lens. The original image was so sharp that I could tell the time on his watch

Welcome to the forum. Excellent work... these, in particular, struck me. Your "this isn't the droid you're looking for" cracked me up. Well seen. Looking forward to more!

Hope you get the noise issue sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the encouragement!

2 weeks into the game, and I've got more bokeh/DOF than I can handle. Never imagined I'd have to shoot at f8, never happened with my FF systems, but man, MF is a whole different game altogether. Wish I could get VR lenses for this thing sometimes

As for noise, well, I guess I shouldn't shoot at ISO400 and stick to ISO50/100. I learned why these backs are so popular with fashion photographers - at ISO50, 1/125s sync speed, I can, at a reasonable time of the day, suppress and control ambient light and working together with my wireless flash triggers, get some really impressive fashion shots. I really need to use this for what it was designed for, and maybe revert to the D3s for evening street work, or deliberately get a grainier look for that 'film look'
    My images on 500px : http://500px.com/ghoonk
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Post Thanks / Like

I'm based out of Dubai
    I'm also in Dubai. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet up for a coffee.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been struggling to get sharp and noise-free images with this setup. ISO400 is pretty bad, and cleaning it up with NoiseNinja results in images coming out a bit soft. A huge challenge when shooting in evenings, since the best results seem to come from f8 and smaller, at speeds faster than 1/400 handheld.

100% crops aren't pin-sharp, so either my technique needs improvement, or my expectations are warped and I should expect some softness at 100%...

If anyone has tips on how I can improve image sharpness, or reset my expectations ("sharpness on a 210 lens at 1/125? are you crazy"), that'd be great
    Noise I can't help you with--some backs are noisier than others. I went with a Pentax 645D and I have no trouble shooting up to 1600 ISO.

One problem with 100% viewing is that is not a condition anyone will view your work either printed or on the web--both sharpness and depth of field are not accurately represented. Print a few out large and see how you feel.

Personally, I have much more of a problem with longer focal lengths. I can get a sharp image from my 120mm lens at 1/125, but I need to pay attention. I really need to use that lens at 1/250 if I am winging it.

My normal to wide focal lengths are far easier. Since this is digital, you can practice at home--I had to figure out a stable way of holding my camera vertically at long shutter speeds. I figured out that handholding this camera was not much different than my other cameras.

It is nice to see MFD used for street photography--I really enjoy your portraiture. Don't get overly hung up on technical perfection, especially at 100%. Sometimes I think the abbreviation for Medium Format Digital is OCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm OCD by nature, so that makes it worse :S I get this happy tingle when I can count eyelashes from a 100 paces

I'm starting to think that MFDBs aren't the best choice for street, but I'm willing to experiment and see what works because street work is so much richer (emotions, events, expressions - the 3 'e's of a good photo in my book) to capture, and the detail and colours from an MFDB (or an MF system, period) bring these moments to life.

Like you, I'm starting to realize that I need to go 1/(2 x focal length) to get a sharp image, hence a 120mm lens should be shot at 1/250 to be 'good'. This should get even more interesting since I might be able to try shooting in Shutter priority at 1/300 with a 150mm lens and come out decent at the set ISO.

My technique for handholding is quite tight - i tuck my left arm close to my body and take a wide stance, trying to mimic a tripod. Inhale, then slowly squeeze the release slowly on the exhale.

@graham - will drop you a PM, we should catch up!
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

street in vinegar hill, brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

oooo, lovely dynamic range there! love how the texture shows up on the upholstery!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

did a walk today, starting in brooklyn bridge park, looking at lower manhattan, 120 schneider

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

family, viewing the city, 8am 70 rodie

to id a few buildings, from the south (left)

cranes are on top of new freedom tower, light rectangle 9I THINK) is bldg 7, only one left from trade tower set, copper patina top is Woolworth, shiny one is Gehry, southbridge towers )condo) I live in the tiny one to the right. just barely visible above the construction, then city hall, then the verizon monolith, then of course the brooklyn bridge, manhattan tower

Last edited by jlm; 31st July 2011 at 09:18.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

power plant, vinegar hill, brooklyn. 43 schneider

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

auto giga pano, 3 shots with 70mm, rotation shots. new Gerhy bldg, and freedom tower way back to the left

Last edited by jlm; 31st July 2011 at 09:23.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looking south to the manhattan bridge from near the vinegar hill power plant. 70mm

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

back in the navy yard; cannons, weber grill, bollard and cranes

Post Thanks / Like

jim, were these shot handheld or on a tripod? Could you share the EXIF info and which back you're using? I'm guessing you're shooting on a 645DF?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

home base for a few boats, Socrates and friends

had a nice morning, finally took off work...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nope, Cambo wrs, tripod, hasselblad H39 back. my cambo mount lenses all have tilt and swing, plus the cambo body has two axes of shift. all movements used as needed for some of these shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like you, I'm starting to realize that I need to go 1/(2 x focal length) to get a sharp image, hence a 120mm lens should be shot at 1/250 to be 'good'. This should get even more interesting since I might be able to try shooting in Shutter priority at 1/300 with a 150mm lens and come out decent at the set ISO.

My technique for handholding is quite tight - i tuck my left arm close to my body and take a wide stance, trying to mimic a tripod. Inhale, then slowly squeeze the release slowly on the exhale.
    I only do that with longer than normal focal lengths. The reciprocal rule is OK, but it does not take body frequency vs. magnification into account. Here is a test image from a 35mm lens on a 645D at f/3.5, 1/40s, and 1600 ISO plus a few 100% crops. The softness is not from camera shake. I have about a 50/50 chance at being sharp with a 55mm lens at 1/8--can't find a sample right now.

BTW, I have one foot in front of the other, but slightly apart. When my feet are side by side but separate, my body rocks backward and foreword. I breath normally and I don't think I release any any particular point--maybe between an exhale and inhale.

One more thing, the Pentax mirror maybe better dampened than the Mamiya one.

Post Thanks / Like

jlm

some nice shots, like it. But there are some strong magenta casts, especially in the 3 last images posted, and also some strange brighter light "halo" in 2 images, in the sky (pano & around the chimney).

Did you notice it?

Nevertheless, nice images.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    home base for a few boats, Socrates and friends

had a nice morning, finally took off work...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i did notice the magenta, decided to not take it further. The H39 has a tendency to magenta, even after white balancing (to the withe bands on the boats, for example). I have the back and the processing set to daylight, still get super crappy out of the camera, and it varies shot to shot, lens to lens

the tall chimney has about 12mm of shift to get all the top in, don't know why that would halo.

here is that last shot with no processing, back set to daylight, Phocus set to daylight

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear all;

Really been liking the p30+, shot with Liz Ashely a few weeks back.

Fully gallery available, just drop me a note as I prefer not to post to forum.

Dave

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this was wb'd off of the white band on the boat, don't know what i did with the other version???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, do you shoot LCCs? It looks like a lens cast. I can see it in almost all your images.

BTW, what vintage are the cannons?
    Last edited by Shashin; 31st July 2011 at 11:22.

Post Thanks / Like

... but this still has some strong magenta cast in the sky. very strong. Did you apply a white shading (LCC removal)?

Thierry

this was wb'd off of the white band on the boat, don't know what i did with the other version???

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

been too sloppy to do the LCC, sure can use it though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

back in the navy yard; cannons, weber grill, bollard and cranes
    Nice urban cameos. This feels almost Stephen Shore in nature.

It's always amazing to me when I think about the high technology and sheer expense that went into making those cannons originally in the day, and now they end up in a scrap pile like that. A bit like seeing a chopped up B52 or Saturn V rocket. I've visited many disused military bases when I was in the UK including a couple of the USAF bases such as Alconbury & Greenham Common that used to be home to the first line of nuclear defence and maintained no-expense spared - now all just scrap concrete, blast doors too big to remove and rusting electrical fittings. Fascinating places.
    Ylem ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by djonesii View Post
    Dear all;

Really been liking the p30+, shot with Liz Ashely a few weeks back.

Fully gallery available, just drop me a note as I prefer not to post to forum.

Dave
    I like this shot quite a bit Dave... very nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photographer, approaching thunderstorm, central South Dakota. 645D, 35mm A, PS B&W conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

wow ... fantastic

I'm in Kauai now and debating on a helicopter ride ... what time of day was this?
    4:30-5:30 scheduled but ours was delayed by 15-20 minutes. Puts you over the Napali Coast around 5pm when the light is just starting to get good but not too dark.

Contact Maren (808) 245-4006 http://www.maunaloahelicopters.com/

Be sure and tell them I referred you. They'll customize the flight to whatever you want. We didn't get to go into the crater but I understand it is fantastic with waterfalls in every direction.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Photographer, approaching thunderstorm, central South Dakota. 645D, 35mm A, PS B&W conversion.

Great perspective and wonderful light.

Post Thanks / Like

Loverly Wanye. Is this a July shot? I want to put this on my schedule for next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loverly Wanye. Is this a July shot? I want to put this on my schedule for next year.
    Yes. Last year they started cutting on the 19th of July. This year they started on the 21st. It varies based on the sugar content of the flowers. It takes them several days to cut so even after they start cutting there are plenty of places to shoot. We usually start calling them about the 7th of July to get an idea of how the flowers are progressing ... I think it's normally a few days earlier, last two years the flowers have been a little late due to cooler summers.

Post Thanks / Like

Very image. However, I find the darker clouds top right distracting, did you consider to remove them?

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are not the greatest, but I wanted to share anyway because sometimes the light just sucks when you most hope it won't. It was raining all day in Wicklow Ireland, but I grabbed a few tech shots anyway. These are IQ180 files processed on my MacBook Air in C1, then downsized in CS5. Surprisingly, the little laptop did pretty well. I hope to get back to the Laough Tay overlook in better light. FTR, I would much rather shoot with the DF body in the rain!

ISO 35, 1/30th at f11, 40 HR-W on RM3D:

ISO 35, 1/15 at f11, 70 HR-W on RM3D:

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Very image. However, I find the darker clouds top right distracting, did you consider to remove them?

Regards
    Anders
    I tend to be very minimalist in my conversions and subsequent photoshop work so rarely do I consider removing things unless they aren't natural or don't seem to belong, or something I would prefer not having in the shot but can't come back when they would be gone (such as people). Not that I have problems with it, just sort of in my nature since I'm pretty old school (or maybe I'm just getting old).

You may be right, and they aren't too big so not a big deal. This is a preliminary conversion, haven't tackled the final work print yet, so I may try taking them out.

thx