The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Panopeeper

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

A note on color temperature

I have read on another thread too mentioned, that the color temperature is different in C1 and ACR.

It may be surprising, but the color temperature and tint are not absolute; 5100° is not always 5100°. ACR is transforming the colors from the camera's color space in ProPhoto, etc. based on one or two matrixes. The temperature is relative to these matrixes.

AFAIK ACR is starting out internally always with "standard light A" and D65, i.e. the camera's calibration is always relative to these two illuminations. The transformation with other temperatures will be interpolated between these.

For example when converting a Sinar raw file in DNG by Brumbaer and by eXposure, eXposure generates a matrix describing the transformation under D65, while Brumbaer is using D50 (both generate only one matrix). Accordingly, when you process these two DNG files in ACR and pick WB on the very same spot, you get vastly different temperature and tint. Example: 4700°, +52 with eXposure, 2700° +5 with Brumbaer.

(ACR's internal camera calibration is used only when processing the native raw file; when processing a DNG file, these values will be taken from the DNG metadata.)

robsteve

Subscriber

[

(ACR's internal camera calibration is used only when processing the native raw file; when processing a DNG file, these values will be taken from the DNG metadata.)
What happens when the native raw is a DNG?

P

Panopeeper

What happens when the native raw is a DNG?
Then the camera's software (aka firmware) has to insert the color matrix(es) and the respective actual color temperature in the DNG file.

For example the Leica R8 DMR is generating a native DNG and it includes the color conversion matrix.

R

rainer-v

A note on color temperature

I have read on another thread too mentioned, that the color temperature is different in C1 and ACR.

It may be surprising, but the color temperature and tint are not absolute; 5100° is not always 5100°. ACR is transforming the colors from the camera's color space in ProPhoto, etc. based on one or two matrixes. The temperature is relative to these matrixes.

AFAIK ACR is starting out internally always with "standard light A" and D65, i.e. the camera's calibration is always relative to these two illuminations. The transformation with other temperatures will be interpolated between these.

For example when converting a Sinar raw file in DNG by Brumbaer and by eXposure, eXposure generates a matrix describing the transformation under D65, while Brumbaer is using D50 (both generate only one matrix). Accordingly, when you process these two DNG files in ACR and pick WB on the very same spot, you get vastly different temperature and tint. Example: 4700°, +52 with eXposure, 2700° +5 with Brumbaer.

with brumbaer it depends on with which temeperature ( in the pulldown menue ) you are saving together with your color kalibration. means: if you make a calibration under overcasted sky ( what i`d recommend ), save this temperature with D65, but try also saving it with D55, which will usally bring good results.
this color settings ( of the pulldown menue ) determine how ACR will interpretate the color temperature of the embedded matrix.
look for a setting ( try out different temperatures by saving th matrix with different temp. settings ) which leads to realistic interpretations, which should be in sunlight around 4600 - 5000 K ( and not more than +10 tint ) in ACR.

bensonga

More images please!! :)

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Pentax 67, 200mm EDIF, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 Pro scan
(It's really too bad the Pentax 67 design doesn't lend itself to a MFDB)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Gorgeous image Gary!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I agree let's see images. It's so hot here , I just have no desire to deal with the heat , so keep them coming.

bensonga

I agree let's see images. It's so hot here , I just have no desire to deal with the heat , so keep them coming.
Hi Guy,

Think "Alaska!"......we're still waiting for our "summer" to hit 70 degrees this year. Mostly low 60s so far.

Here's a winter shot to offer some cooling relief....I just can't turn my eyes away from these old trucks, ships, railroad engines etc. :eek:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Pentax 67, 105mm, Epson 2450 scan
(Would it even be possible for Pentax to modify the P67 to take a MFDB? Probably not....so I've still got my mind focused on a 503CWD II)

Last edited:

Daniel

I've decided to give medium format film a try.

Negatives developed and scanned by local film developer.

Ken and Barbie Orgie
View attachment 5771
Trocadero Theatre, Philadelphia, PA
(Hasselblad 500 C/M, 80mm, f5.6 (?), 1/500 (?), Ilford HP5)

Meditation
View attachment 5772
Chinatown, Philadelphia, PA
(Cropped - 75% of original. Hasselblad 500 C/M, 80mm, f8 (?), 1/500 (?), Ilford HP5)

View attachment 5773
Washington Square Park, Philadelphia, PA
(Hasselblad 500 C/M, 80mm, f5.6 (?), 1/500 (?), Kodak T-Max 400)

Last edited:

bensonga

Gorgeous image Gary!
Thanks Jack.....same to you for those beautiful images of the Sutro ruins.

I just wish I had that "target rich" environment that John does with the Brooklyn Navy Yard....just my kind of place! Unfortunately, Anchorage doesn't offer much in the way of really old buildings, shipyards etc. After living here for 20+ years, I sometimes feel like I need a set of new eyes to see things fresh that I'm probably overlooking.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

hobbsr

Hi All,

This is one of my first test shots using my new H3D 31 and 50-110 lens it was shoot handheld on a pretty average day at iso 400, some post work in CS3 and developed in Phocus 1.0.

bensonga

Hi All,

This is one of my first test shots using my new H3D 31 and 50-110 lens it was shoot handheld on a pretty average day at iso 400, some post work in CS3 and developed in Phocus 1.0.
Very nice! :thumbup:

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member

i've been in the navy yard over 20 years, and occasionally went out to take a few shots, but it wasn't until i started with the Blad/CFV that i got inspired. something about that slower process, luscious viewfinder, etc. is much more compelling than peeping though the little hole in a DSLR or worse, a RF, trying to guess the exact FOV, or even worse yet, only using the tiny frameline'd image of the longer lenses

David K

Workshop Member

No mountains or valley's here in Florida... just have to make do with what's available :) Playing around with some different processing on this one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

David:

Can't you at least try and find some attractive models to shoot?

Seriously, I may need to shift my model searches to Florida!

:ROTFL:,

PS: no image in your second post...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Rodney:

Nice capture and processing on the flower! I also like your watermark :thumbs:

David K

Workshop Member

Jack,
I see the second image... is it still not visible to you. I've shot with Jennifer before and quite agree she's gorgeous, also a sweet old fashioned young lady.

harmsr

Workshop Member

David,

My sympathies on how much you have to suffer to find interesting subjects to shoot.

It must be terrible.

Ray

David K

Workshop Member

David,

My sympathies on how much you have to suffer to find interesting subjects to shoot.

It must be terrible.

Ray
Ray,
These models were arranged by Sinar and come free for the life of the back. Don't tell me Phase and Hassy don't have the same thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.