Site Sponsors
Page 148 of 386 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 198 248 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,400 of 19276

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Wondering if lens flare could be the cause of the magenta spot; sky is hot.
    The 23mm requires a large hood/ shade to prevent these hot spots. If you shoot something even in colour you'll see that it's got the shape of the shutter blades

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Another thought: the Mom is in focus and is tack sharp, the cubs are not (slightly out of the focus plane). There's 6-7 feet deep distance between them (the Mom is closer to us) which exceeds the plane of focus. I like to use focus as a creative instrument of setting accents in the picture and adding 3d effect (when it is used selectively on one of the subjects). I printed this picture 5 feet long using Canon ipf 8300 on Hahnemuehle FineArt Pearl and looks 3D on the wall :-)
    Its a lovely shot, is your work inspired by Nick Brandt perhaps? The print must be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I had a rifle with me all the time.
    Thankfully you shot with the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Its a lovely shot, is your work inspired by Nick Brandt perhaps? The print must be amazing.
    Over 9,000 pixels of pure wide goodness!
    Last edited by mediumcool; 9th October 2011 at 04:42. Reason: fixed number!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I hate to put this right after Ed's great shot, but I would like some advice from the collective skill of members of this thread. What's wrong with these shots?! I took them last evening and it's the sort of image I like, but this one fall flat and I don't really know why. No true point of interest? I know they need more post work, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom

Untitled_Panorama22 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama23 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Only just seen these; try cropping out some sky. And perhaps some subtle vignetting to draw the eye to the centre. Second shot, I would crop down to a square to see how that looks.

Post Thanks / Like

And you could try some diffuse glow on the wet rock highlights. Make it a bit more romantic!

Post Thanks / Like

Taken a liberty. Hope itís OK with the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The first of 24 in a 24 hour series. Alpa Max + SK 120N + IQ 180.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more studio work ....

P30+

G3

Been using a Nikon d300 for my really wides and as a backup. The G3 is about to take it's place ....

As usual, there is a full set of the model posing fine art figure, if you care to take a look, drop a PM or davejonesii at yahoo dot com.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Love the first one Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more fall colors, 2 in B&W and 2 in color,
    I am still having a hard time getting good color off my Leaf Aptus II 7 back using C1. Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong.

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one from our recent New Hampshire workshop. This is a single IQ180 image, one early AM capture that had no highlight or shadow clipping, about 2 seconds at f11 ISO 35. It was processed twice in C1, once pushed +1.5 stops to pump the foreground, then a second at -.5 stops to deepen the morning sky. These were then blended in CS to impart the "custom split ND filter" effect I mentioned in my tech talk. I also added a skosh of sunrise gradient to enhance the effect. Anyway, here is the blended result. And yes, it was a supremely cold morning!:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gorgeous Jack
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Jack - I love the feel!

This morning in the Green Mountain National Forest. Cambo RS, IQ180, SK 72, ISO 35:

das_schlechte_gewissen

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post

This morning in the Green Mountain National Forest. Cambo RS, IQ180, SK 72, ISO 35:

This picture is perfect in my eyes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Magnificent work, Ed! Keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, amazing work.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Shelby Lewis

You know what really impresses me about lots of these recent posts (not that my opinion matters)?... it's that you guys seem to be able to keep your mind's eye focussed on the original tonal buildup of the original scene.

I really have to fight the tendency to try and maximize contrast and the histogram in my images... yet looking at some of these recent images (Ed, Jack, Steven), I get a sense that the if there was no "black black" or "white white" in the scene, you guys don't try to introduce it in your files in post. The tonal transitions seem to be very important and much is done to keep this delicateness intact. Steven, you've succeeded as well with a beautiful use of contrast in your images. They punch a bit harder but are still so elegant.

It makes for images that have wonderful ambiance... and they really seem to stand out from the images on many image sharing sites that have overly trumped up contrast and color (which isn't bad in and of itself if that's the artist's intent). I guess the word that comes to mind is nuance.

My comment is one of congratulatory tone, not one of comparison. Great work gentlemen!

Congrats,
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good find and even better capture, Ed. It was great meeting you at Joe Perry's farm on Cloudland Road. The colors in VT are really starting to come in - too bad I have to leave now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Good find and even better capture, Ed. It was great meeting you at Joe Perry's farm on Cloudland Road. The colors in VT are really starting to come in - too bad I have to leave now.
    I understand that Mr. Perry, after he bought the iconic Sleepy Hollow farm, trashed the scene by installing an electronic security fence in front of the farmhouse. True?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tioga Pass, Yosemite National Park
    Hasselblad H4D-40 with HCD 28mm
    As a new member, I've learnt tremendously in the past few weeks.
    Thank you very much for sharing your breathtaking pictures and experiences.
    Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 10th October 2011 at 20:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steven, thanks Ed!

Shelby, thank you too. I actually do try to ensure some solid black, just not a lot of it. I do not typically force white however.

Ed, that last photo is outstanding --- love the tonality, fog and mountain reflection in the water
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

A thought:

it would be interesting to see how this would look with the string of rocks in the foreground *clarity-d* a bit. This would give more separation through diffusion, as is already happening with the middle-distance island copse against the far distant background.

Would leave the water alone, as it has a nice softness. Agree with Shelby—not everything has to have a chocolate box look.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 11th October 2011 at 03:44. Reason: Added final sentence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taken a liberty. Hope itís OK with the OP.
    No problem. Better, but this shot was lesson for me to be adaptable. I hiked about 30 minutes to the spot with the expectation that the clouds would be spectacular when hit by the sun. Never happened and yet I left the clouds as the major point of interest in the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Couple more fall colors, 2 in B&W and 2 in color,
    I am still having a hard time getting good color off my Leaf Aptus II 7 back using C1. Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong.

Steven

Love the last one.

Hello guys! Learning to photograph wildlife using medium format.
    Phase DF + Leaf Aptus ii 10 + Mamiya 300mm APO f 4.5
    Taken in the very remote part of Kamchatka:

Wow!! Learning? I can't wait to see your shots when you know what you're doing! 300mm isn't very far away.

Tom

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kuau,

Loved all of them!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adirondacks. View of the High Peaks region, taken on Sunday. Four exposure stitch. 645D, 200mm FA. Crop shows some detail seen in a large print.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

A thought:

it would be interesting to see how this would look with the string of rocks in the foreground *clarity-d* a bit. This would give more separation through diffusion, as is already happening with the middle-distance island copse against the far distant background.

Would leave the water alone, as it has a nice softness. Agree with Shelbyónot everything has to have a chocolate box look.
    That is an excellent idea, I will give it a try. I actually took the image with my SK150 (mistakenly stated it was the 72L) so there was a fair amount of fog between my location and the foreground rocks. The selective local contrast could add a little more depth to the image which would offset the compression of the long lens.

Thanks ALL for the compliments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post

I really have to fight the tendency to try and maximize contrast and the histogram in my images... yet looking at some of these recent images (Ed, Jack, Steven), I get a sense that the if there was no "black black" or "white white" in the scene, you guys don't try to introduce it in your files in post

My comment is one of congratulatory tone, not one of comparison. Great work gentlemen!

Congrats,
    Shelby
    Thank you Shelby.

Your observation is something I think most of us learn at some point in our development. Personal style and vision aside, we do the subject an injustice by trying to make it something it wasn't.

The generic workflow we are taught to "enhance" our images might be partially to blame. If you look at thumbnails of some portfolios, the tonalities and saturation of all images start looking very generic.

THUD -- just fell off my soap box.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an excellent idea, I will give it a try. I actually took the image with my SK150 (mistakenly stated it was the 72L) so there was a fair amount of fog between my location and the foreground rocks.
    Ah, that explains it! If wide, the lens would have been quite close to the rocks.

The selective local contrast could add a little more depth to the image which would offset the compression of the long lens.
    Thatís the result I would like to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some color just as I'm leaving Vermont. IQ180, Cambo RS, SK 150mm:

Promised Land State Park near Scranton, PA. IQ180, Cambo RS, SK 72mm (2 shot stitch):

Post Thanks / Like

I called this bear Krasotka ("Pretty woman" in Russian) - she liked the name and agreed to a private photo-session

Phase DF + Leaf Aptus ii 10 + Mamiya 300mm APO f 4.5.

3 shots stitch :

Post Thanks / Like

I called this bear Krasotka ("Pretty woman" in Russian) - she liked the name and agreed to a private photo-session

3 shots stitch :

Liking these a lot; are the bears used to humans? They would feel no threat across a stream, I imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

Liking these a lot; are the bears used to humans? They would feel no threat across a stream, I imagine.
    I lived with them for 40 days. I started with Nikkor 600mm lens in the first day and ended with 45mm Phase One in the last. This a a national park, so hunting is prohibited and these bears (most of them) did not see any threat from a human in their life. Females realized quickly that I posed no threat, and in the end of my expedition they would even leave their cubs with me (literally 1 meter away) and would go fishing. This is the greatest form of trust a female can demonstrate. They do see people from time to time so it is no shock to them, but it takes time for them to get accustomed to you and start feeling at ease.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived with them for 40 days. I started with Nikkor 600mm lens in the first day and ended with 45mm Phase One in the last. This a a national park, so hunting is prohibited and these bears (most of them) did not see any threat from a human in their life. Females realized quickly that I posed no threat, and in the end of my expedition they would even leave their cubs with me (literally 1 meter away) and would go fishing. This is the greatest form of trust a female can demonstrate. They do see people from time to time so it is no shock to them, but it takes time for them to get accustomed to you and start feeling at ease.
    Very impressive. Please more!

Post Thanks / Like

3 shots stitch :

Incredible Nik. Looking forward to more of these.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived with them for 40 days. I started with Nikkor 600mm lens in the first day and ended with 45mm Phase One in the last. This a a national park, so hunting is prohibited and these bears (most of them) did not see any threat from a human in their life.

Females realized quickly that I posed no threat, and in the end of my expedition they would even leave their cubs with me (literally 1 meter away) and would go fishing. This is the greatest form of trust a female can demonstrate. They do see people from time to time so it is no shock to them, but it takes time for them to get accustomed to you and start feeling at ease.
    A rare privilege in these times: child minding of a wild species!

Post Thanks / Like

The images in the past week have been some of the prettiest I've ever seen. Thanks, and keep them coming!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Ed,

The second pano, promised land, is phenomenal!

Mason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed,

Those last two from Vermont, a big !
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Nik;357912]I called this bear Krasotka ("Pretty woman" in Russian) - she liked the name and agreed to a private photo-session

After the private session, maybe you will take her out for a cup of tea

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like

AFDIII + 80/1.9 N lens + Leaf 54s.

Techno monks: restoring nature one flower at the time by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr\\]

should not get bored..

Post Thanks / Like

+1, was thinking exactly the same.

Thierry

A thought:
    This would give more separation through diffusion, as is already happening with the middle-distance island copse against the far distant background.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Adirondacks. View of the High Peaks region, taken on Sunday. Four exposure stitch. 645D, 200mm FA. Crop shows some detail seen in a large print.

Tom
    Tom, LOVE the first image, and really like the hazy mountains in the background!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice

I envy you.

Thierry

Females realized quickly that I posed no threat, and in the end of my expedition they would even leave their cubs with me (literally 1 meter away) and would go fishing. This is the greatest form of trust a female can demonstrate. They do see people from time to time so it is no shock to them, but it takes time for them to get accustomed to you and start feeling at ease.

Post Thanks / Like

"Fall Colors" in the Pacific Northwest. Hoh Rainforest, Olympic National Park

Cambo WDS, 72mm, P45+, 2 image stitch.

M>

Post Thanks / Like

Love this Sergei. Really original work, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    AFDIII + 80/1.9 N lens + Leaf 54s.

Techno monks: restoring nature one flower at the time by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr\\]

should not get bored..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq