The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Steve,

I am picking up a lot of green in this pano. I wonder if a slight curve to lower green values in the granite would work?:bugeyes:

Otherwise a great capture...cliches work when they are of such wonderful subjects...for me at least.

Bob
Have to agree with Bob -- looks overly green on my monitor too.

T

tetsrfun

I am picking up a lot of green in this pano.
Have to agree with Bob -- looks overly green on my monitor too.
Thanks for the comments...My "eye" for color isn't that well developed yet (ever?)....Primarily a WB problem, I think..Wiil do more work :>).

Steve

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Hopefully a little better...in the light of day my previous effort makes me a bit nauseated.

Steve

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Still playing with the 150 "D" lens - man, it is sharp from edge to edge! These are both at closest focus.

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Guy: Maybe you missed my post (No.2947) in this thread, in which I'm inquiring you about certain subjective qualities between your present back and the former one. Or perhaps, you already talked about it, but unluckily I missed them.
Tia
Eduardo

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Hopefully a little better...in the light of day my previous effort makes me a bit nauseated.

Steve
Much more neutral in tone but maybe a bit bright...I liked the contrast of the other a bit more as it seems more dramatic. Just a personal preference and I do feel that this is much closer to reality.

Very nice.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Guy: If I can recall well, you sold your P25+ for a P30+. What is your experience doing this change? Weren't you bothered by the smaller groundglass image? Or by the bigger lens image cutoff? What do you find better in the P30? Is really better image quality to have a smaller sensor with more pixels than having a bigger sensor with less pixles?
Well, sorry for so many questions
TIa
Eduardo
Great question the big difference between the P25 and P30 was the extra gain in ISO. The crop factor and going to a smaller 6.8 from the 9 micron sensors I gained a lot in the way of moire or should I say the lack of it more. Now what I noticed on the 6 micron P40 it is even less than the 6.8 as well with regard to Moire. Seems the smaller micron backs handle moire better. Now going to a smaller sensor with more pixels I have not found that to be any issues on the quality front and if anything it has improved since we are going up in total MPX so less enlarging of the image as well.

So making these 22, 31 and 40 MPX jumps has helped overall on the detail front as well. The P40+ has more overall detail than the P30+ but again these MPX jumps you have to be careful they are their for sure in the details but not earth shattering either until you get really big and I mean big. I think you will see this in prints on the larger sized like 30x40 going up maybe even starting bigger. This is something I have not tested but feel very confident they can handle it with no issues.

Now each back comes newer tech with it and the P40+ with sensor + adds some nice features and I really like this back and for the overall money new out the door of it 19k is not bad at all. It's only real limit is a 1 minute time exposure compared to like the P45 at 1 hour. I would like the P40+myself I feel it is better than my P30+ back but at the same time looking what I just shot I am really lacking nothing per say. If you look at Charlie's P20 shots with his Alpa the detail is just gorgeous and that is 18 mpx. Go figure.
I think it is safe to say as we go up in size we can get bigger detailed prints as we do that but at the same time some of it gets wasted on use. That's okay though I would rather have the strong file when the need comes up you are not painted in a corner. I have been burned by clients on this making things bigger than anyone ever thought they would do at the time of shooting.

Uaiomex

Guy: Thanks for this very valuable subjective (and objective)info. I've just read somewhere this guy said that once pixels go below 4 microns, moire will be gone for good. I wonder if this was a scientific fact or just a guess.
Guy: I'm opening a show tomorrow evening. Can I post the 16 pictures in the Canon forum? I promised Jurgen I would post them;)
Thanks
Eduardo

Great question the big difference between the P25 and P30 was the extra gain in ISO. The crop factor and going to a smaller 6.8 from the 9 micron sensors I gained a lot in the way of moire or should I say the lack of it more. Now what I noticed on the 6 micron P40 it is even less than the 6.8 as well with regard to Moire. Seems the smaller micron backs handle moire better. Now going to a smaller sensor with more pixels I have not found that to be any issues on the quality front and if anything it has improved since we are going up in total MPX so less enlarging of the image as well.

So making these 22, 31 and 40 MPX jumps has helped overall on the detail front as well. The P40+ has more overall detail than the P30+ but again these MPX jumps you have to be careful they are their for sure in the details but not earth shattering either until you get really big and I mean big. I think you will see this in prints on the larger sized like 30x40 going up maybe even starting bigger. This is something I have not tested but feel very confident they can handle it with no issues.

Now each back comes newer tech with it and the P40+ with sensor + adds some nice features and I really like this back and for the overall money new out the door of it 19k is not bad at all. It's only real limit is a 1 minute time exposure compared to like the P45 at 1 hour. I would like the P40+myself I feel it is better than my P30+ back but at the same time looking what I just shot I am really lacking nothing per say. If you look at Charlie's P20 shots with his Alpa the detail is just gorgeous and that is 18 mpx. Go figure.
I think it is safe to say as we go up in size we can get bigger detailed prints as we do that but at the same time some of it gets wasted on use. That's okay though I would rather have the strong file when the need comes up you are not painted in a corner. I have been burned by clients on this making things bigger than anyone ever thought they would do at the time of shooting.

Guy Mancuso

Absolutely post them . Love to see them myself.

Not being the engineer here on sensor design but one has to wonder about getting down to such a low micron count. You would think something would throw a curve ball in their and mess up the works. Anyway the 6 micron seems to be working out for folks also these new backs like the P40 are faster to shoot and have nice ISO levels and the added benefit of sensor plus which I see has some advantage others may not. I think also the P40+ is the new P30 in terms over a great all around back on all levels.

BTW also some advantage to the crop sensors with some older lens designs that may have soft corners and can now even shoot wider with the crop since it does cut the bad stuff out. This is a benefit to some older Hassy and Mamiya lenses that are more useful.

Uaiomex

I didn't know the P40+ can only capture up to one minute. I'm interested in those backs from PhaseOne wich can shoot for a lot longer. I just finished this piece of work working with a 5DMkII using up to 5 minute exposures. I'm really happy with the results but as a typical human being, now I want to develop my next project with my 500Cm and a digital back. My possibilities are (I think) a (used, demo,refurbished) P25+ or a P30+. I tend to think my best choice would be the P25+ but I endeslessly hesitate because I´m planning on shooting fashion too. (moire) The crop factor of the P30+ turns me off.:eek:
Sleppless in Yucatan :ROTFL:

Absolutely post them . Love to see them myself.

Not being the engineer here on sensor design but one has to wonder about getting down to such a low micron count. You would think something would throw a curve ball in their and mess up the works. Anyway the 6 micron seems to be working out for folks also these new backs like the P40 are faster to shoot and have nice ISO levels and the added benefit of sensor plus which I see has some advantage others may not. I think also the P40+ is the new P30 in terms over a great all around back on all levels.

BTW also some advantage to the crop sensors with some older lens designs that may have soft corners and can now even shoot wider with the crop since it does cut the bad stuff out. This is a benefit to some older Hassy and Mamiya lenses that are more useful.

T

tetsrfun

Much more neutral in tone but maybe a bit bright...I liked the contrast of the other a bit more as it seems more dramatic.
Thanks for the comment...I will do some more work..

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Tough call the P25+ is not something I would really recommend for fashion because of the Moire although C1 has tools for it. The P30+ would be the better choice and I shot that as long as 30 minutes with no ill effects. Have to say the crop is not as bad as it seems.

Here take a look at this. http://www.phaseone.com/Digital-Backs/P65/P65-Tech-Specs.aspx

BTW folks C1 Version 5 is released

Status
Not open for further replies.