Site Sponsors
Page 151 of 386 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,550 of 19290

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Hope to get a digital back for my RZ and also to get 110mm.
    Nice shots!!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my first image in this thread, and all the images posted here are tough acts to follow, so go easy on me...

It's just a simple portrait of my friend. I used one Vivitar 285HV with a shoot through umbrella to the camera's right.

Mamiya 645 AFD + ZD Back, 150mm f3.5 N

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by homeiss View Post
    This is my first image in this thread, and all the images posted here are tough acts to follow, so go easy on me...

It's just a simple portrait of my friend. I used one Vivitar 285HV with a shoot through umbrella to the camera's right.

Mamiya 645 AFD + ZD Back, 150mm f3.5 N
    So here is me going hard on you instead --- GREAT first image! Seriously, you nailed it. THe 150/3.5 is an unsung hero in the Mamiya lineup. It might as well be a white APO lens it is so sharp. At current prices it is the lens bargain of the decade, and you used it to maximum effect. I am curious at what aperture you shot -- if I had to guess, I'd say f4? Again, great job!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So here is me going hard on you instead --- GREAT first image! Seriously, you nailed it. THe 150/3.5 is an unsung hero in the Mamiya lineup. It might as well be a white APO lens it is so sharp. At current prices it is the lens bargain of the decade, and you used it to maximum effect. I am curious at what aperture you shot -- if I had to guess, I'd say f4? Again, great job!
    Thanks Jack! I agree about the 150/3.5, it is one of the best deals around. I picked mine up for a mere $95! I actually am wondering myself what aperture it is, I can't recall, but I think you might be right about f4. Thanks again.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by homeiss View Post
    Thanks Jack! I agree about the 150/3.5, it is one of the best deals around. I picked mine up for a mere $95! I actually am wondering myself what aperture it is, I can't recall, but I think you might be right about f4. Thanks again.
    I didn't get mine for that little, but I use it quite a bit when shooting ..... The ability to control DOF with MF ( and by extension MFDB ) is just a joy to work with. My back up system is now Micro 4/3rds, and that is one of the things that I miss.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This afternoon in Beijing's Temple of Heaven. 5 panel stitch, H3d-39 with HC 50-110 at 50mm.

Very strong sunlight...harsh. But for a day out, magnificent...17C, slight wind, sun out. Ah...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The water in this pool is deep, but I'm gonna jump in.....!

Following are a few from NY State's Adirondacks about two weeks ago. The color up there wasn't so great this year, and I think I was about a week past peak colors, but these scenes were nice. Other folks' photos in this forum for other parts of the Northeast look more colorful than what I witnessed; Kudos to all, some gorgeous photos! Made me jealous, but inspired me, too!

www.williamlee.com
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

p.s. Re the above, all three pics are from an IQ180 on Phase One 645DF body. The above image was ISO 35, f/16, 80mm lens, 3 secs.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ISO 35, f/16, 35mm lens, 0.5 secs

www.williamlee.com
    Last edited by WWLEE; 24th October 2011 at 07:05. Reason: correct my caption
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ISO 35, f/11, 80mm lens, 1/6 sec

www.williamlee.com
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now for something completely different...
    Here is a 5-shot panorama taken about 20 minutes after sunset in Weehawken, NJ looking across at 42nd Street (roughly in the center of the picture) in Manhattan. This was on a P65+ back with Phase One 645DF body. As you can imagine, this panorama resulted in a rather large file (picture the little, colorful, spinning ball on a Mac as it labors away trying to process it!). I cropped to a 4 x 1 ratio. Without interpolation, the native file yields an image of 18" x 72" at 360 ppi..... it's huge and loaded with detail.

Images taken at ISO 100, 6 secs, f/9, 150mm lens.

www.williamlee.com
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any thoughts on cropping off the left 25% or so of the image to get it down to a 3 x 1 ratio from its present 4 x 1?
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will,

I like the twin towers on the LH side as they add interest to the image, so if I cropped to 3:1, I'd take it from the RH edge -- but frankly, I would leave it at 4:1 and not crop it at all. What I would do is process two versions, one pumping up the foreground a little, and another pumping up the sky a lot, then blend them for a more balanced total image.

I like your road shot a lot too!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the Temple of Heaven. Two years ago I managed to shoot it with no people (very hard to do).

WWLee-All of your images are GREAT. Thanks for sharing.

Homeiss-Perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WWLEE View Post

Following are a few from NY State's Adirondacks about two weeks ago. The color up there wasn't so great this year, and I think I was about a week past peak colors, but these scenes were nice. Other folks' photos in this forum for other parts of the Northeast look more colorful than what I witnessed; Kudos to all, some gorgeous photos! Made me jealous, but inspired me, too!

www.williamlee.com
    I like this Road !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A souvenir from my last photo trip in the USA (where I met a very busy Jack )

H4D50 HC 28 mm

Post Thanks / Like

www.williamlee.com
    This is pretty nice color William. It was a tough year for color in all of the NE. I did much better in West Virginia.

Love the barn piece as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jack, for your suggestion on processing the NYC scene. On further reflection, you're right, the twin towers to the left balance the image and should remain, so I'll stick with the 4 x 1 ratio. I'll take a stab at processing the water and sky as suggested, too, but I kind of like the "moodiness" and color as it looks now. This was taken 20 minutes after sunset, so it was getting quite dark and the colors were incredibly rich, so the image is pretty close to my recollection of how it looked that night.

Just a fun thing to point out as it adds scale to a big scene: That is the aircraft carrier "Intrepid" on the dock just left of center. It is tiny here but can be seen quite well in a larger version.

Ed, I've enjoyed your photos from your 'round the NorthEast tour... Acadia, Vermont, West Virginia.... one heck of a trip, and some absolutely gorgeous photos. Your vertical shot of the mill is stunning.

Thank you, too, to Vincent and Jerome! Very kind of you. Jerome, I just want to pull a chair up to that steam and close my eyes!
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A black and white of a lenticular cloud over Mt. Katahdin in Maine last month. Haven't quite got the cloud "popping" out as much as I'd like. Will have to work on it some more.

www.williamlee.com
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

www.williamlee.com
    Nice one Will. It seems quite a few of the posters were in the Adirondacks two weeks ago.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post
    Love the Temple of Heaven. Two years ago I managed to shoot it with no people (very hard to do).

WWLee-All of your images are GREAT. Thanks for sharing.

Homeiss-Perfection.
    With no people? Wow...that alone is an achievement...there were tons of people everywhere...and nobody cared if they were standing right in front of your lens/tripod.

Yes, agree that WWLee's images are nice. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post

A souvenir from my last photo trip in the USA (where I met a very busy Jack )

H4D50 HC 28 mm
    Great shot from that stop Jerome! And sorry I was busy with my workshop folks and could not spend more time chatting, but it was great meeting you regardless!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a shot I took as I left work today. I like the graphic quality, but not enough to really like the shot. I like it, but not quite there. Any comments?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Here's a shot I took as I left work today. I like the graphic quality, but not enough to really like the shot. I like it, but not quite there. Any comments?

Tom
    Crop off the bottom quarter of the image maybe.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mount Evans, Idaho Springs, CO
    Hasselblad H4D-40; HCD 28mm

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

www.williamlee.com
    This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom
    I think this might work better in mono, if you could pull out some shadow detail. I find it too harsh at the moment, and the colours too saturated.

Also, a second or so earlier would have had the walker’s shadow separated from the tree’s shadow. I know, I know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Crop off the bottom quarter of the image maybe.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom
    Tom,

Like Ed said, I'd crop it off the bottom to a square. Strong diagonals scream square to me. I'd also open up the shadows a bit as they're pretty black; and I also think it could use a touch more vignette, but that's me.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an image taken with a lens that I've grown to like more and more, since I sold it together with the Contax 645 system - the Zeiss 120 macro. Taken in a hotel garden in Marrakech some 18 months ago, the back was Sinar eMotion 75LV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom
    As suggested already' I'd crop the bottom quarter but I would also lose the leftmost tree of which we see only a part. That way, the person will be in the "ideal spot" in the image (the golden section). I'd leave the image in color, I like the harsh contrast and the intense green of the grass; that's what makes the image work for me. Regards, Martin

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Landscapelover - nice one!
    Bill

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Landscapelover - nice one!
    Bill
    Bill..Thank you very much for your kind!
    Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yosemite Valley, CA
    Hasselblad H4D-40
    HCD 35-90mm at 55mm

Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 26th October 2011 at 01:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "white town" of Ostuni, Puglia (Italy) sits on top of a hill, surrounded by olive orchards. I liked this composition, with the shadow of the tree in the foreground. The white houses were badly overexposed but here the medium format digital medium showed its incredible dynamic range, as I was able to salvage the image. Hy6 with eMotion 75LV, 80 mm lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to all for the comments. Cropped square is better! I prefer the saturated, deep shadows however. I need to repeat the shot with a better silhouette. Here’s a shot taken at the same time, plagued by reflections, where the the fiqure and trees have not been driven to black.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    Here's an image taken with a lens that I've grown to like more and more, since I sold it together with the Contax 645 system - the Zeiss 120 macro. Taken in a hotel garden in Marrakech some 18 months ago, the back was Sinar eMotion 75LV.

Luvverly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    The "white town" of Ostuni, Puglia (Italy) sits on top of a hill, surrounded by olive orchards. I liked this composition, with the shadow of the tree in the foreground. The white houses were badly overexposed but here the medium format digital medium showed its incredible dynamic range, as I was able to salvage the image. Hy6 with eMotion 75LV, 80 mm lens.

Very nice, it reminds me Moulay Idriss in Marocco (Alpa TC, Leaf 75s, 35mm, handheld)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OliverM View Post
    Very nice, it reminds me Moulay Idriss in Marocco (Alpa TC, Leaf 75s, 35mm, handheld)
    Aaah, Morocco - the photographer's promised land! Very nice picture of Moulay Idriss. I plan to get back to Morocco sometime in the next year or two. So many sceneries to photograph there - here is a view of some interesting geology, from the Marrakech to Tizi'n'Tichka road. Contax 645, Zeiss 120 Apo Macro, eMotion 75LV

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from yesterday...at the Forbidden City...5 panel stitch, H3D-39, 50-110 at 50mm setting.

Shelby Lewis

Wonderful work everyone... and thanks for the comments on my previous images.

Snappin' the kids just before dinner this evening... RZ IID, Aptus II 6, 110/2.8. Handheld and processed in Photoshop.

Almost ran out of DoF with this one...that camera left eye is getting a wee bit fuzzy.

pigpen...

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

First one is awesome Shelby. Great feel and fantastic color.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the last one Shelby!

Shelby Lewis

Thanks all!

BTW... no lights on these. Just the sun/shade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Summer's over. Southern shore Lake Erie.

Tom

_IGP4185 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Last edited by tsjanik; 27th October 2011 at 12:57.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

VERY dramatic, Tom!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of autumn color shot in the rain with a polarizer. Everything seems to glow.

Devil's Den State Park, NW Arkansas about 45 minutes from my home.

Cambo RS, IQ180, SK 72L, ISO 100, 4 seconds

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love that second shot!!!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is from an assignment for an international poetry festival. It was the first time I had the Pentax 645D in the studio--I use a Phase back and a technical camera in the studio. It was a lot of fun. The preview time was a little bit of a pain, but it also could keep up with my shot rate--I took about 160 images in 30 minutes of eight poets, not sports photography, but a lot faster than landscape. Except for some changes to color and conversion from the Pentax PEF RAW format, there is no PP to this image. The image is not cropped, but rather extended to give room for the text. The poster design is also mine. The final poster size is 7 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    This is from an assignment for an international poetry festival. It was the first time I had the Pentax 645D in the studio--I use a Phase back and a technical camera in the studio. It was a lot of fun. The preview time was a little bit of a pain, but it also could keep up with my shot rate--I took about 160 images in 30 minutes of eight poets, not sports photography, but a lot faster than landscape. This is one poster from a series of 8. The image is not cropped, but rather extended to give room for the text. The poster design is also mine.
    Nice portrait lighting, looks very natural.