Site Sponsors
Page 155 of 386 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,750 of 19293

Thread: Fun with MF images

Shelby Lewis

Re: Fun with MF images

portrait of one of my wife's figurines... loving the look of the rz glass (even though the front bokeh isn't near as nice as the rear)

aptus ii 6, RZ IID, 110/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Fun with MF images

Wonderful Images. Thank you for sharing.

Robb Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I decided to have some fun at the Grand Mosque too

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Fun with MF images

Graham W,

Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the 6' print.

Robb Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Portland Japanese Garden - yes, that tree ... snuck out this afternoon to see what it looked like with the intention of shooting it tomorrow with the Alpa. I got dumped on with rain and the canopy was getting sparse so it looks like I'll have to live with this one for this year.

IQ160 645DF 35mm 1.6s f/14

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only on a Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Tim
    For what it's worth . . .
    Not convinced. the iPhone shot has difficult edges . . . the X100 shot is messy to the extent that it spoils it . . . and the 3 shot HDR, although superficially and technically better . . . doesn't have any soul.

Seems to me like a classic example of less is more - you've see this fantastic scene, so you've applied experience and equipment to capture it. The iPhone shot ought to be best because it has spontaneity . but the kit wasn't up to it.

Shouldn't you have been taking the dog for a walk with your M9 and a 28 'cron?

That way you'd have got the quality and the spontaneity.

Just asking (and playing devils advocate a little).

I guess my basic feeling is that your photographs mean that I can recognise that you say it was a fab view . . . and they may even reflect that view, but, to me, they don't convey it.

I feel I can say this, because I like so many of your other shots so much.

I think I better stop digging
    No no, keep digging; when you get deep enough I'll give you a little shove...

I largely agree with you: on #1, a Steichen-like feel doesn't excuse an untidy composition. #2 is too untidy and not moody or emotional enough: autumn colours have a visceral emotional impact on me and a 'straight' photo isn't
    enough to recreate that. #3 isn't exactly what I had in mind but I have been making it a little looser and have a print of it that really glows.

The problem with MF as I have often mused here is that it encourages a very static approach and too often the results really show that. I have a truly profound allergy to the Joe Cornish look and that is where MF often leads.... to a photo that looks exactly like the scene itself but with a graduated sky.

You and I prefer a more fluid and interpretative approach. BUT... I quite like this one because where I can really get into MF is when it forces you to contemplate a shot for so long that you really enter into the mood you want to make from it and this one sort of does that for me. Not 100% for sure but much more than most I've done. Making a sketch with an iPhone whist walking (and using Viewfinder Pro app to get the framing) then doing a 'maquettte' with a more or less FF camera before going for the Full Monty with the MF system is a way I could get used to working. Contemplative and slow to counter the spontaneous style I historically have gone for... I prefer my M system for events and street these days.

Anyhow... Comments much appreciated. How the devil are you?
    X
    T

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    No no, keep digging; when you get deep enough I'll give you a little shove...

The problem with MF as I have often mused here is that it encourages a very static approach and too often the results really show that. I have a truly profound allergy to the Joe Cornish look and that is where MF often leads.... to a photo that looks exactly like the scene itself but with a graduated sky.

You and I prefer a more fluid and interpretative approach. ......
    Anyhow... Comments much appreciated. How the devil are you?
    X
    T
    I totally agree with you regarding this comment (regarding the static approach of MF) and its something I am trying to "fight" myself all the time (with not so much success )
    However again and again we can see prooves here that this doesnt have to be the case. Besides some of your images I find for example the images from Graham to proove the opposite.

Often I prefer the first intuitive image I take of a scene vs the following images where I try to "optimize" compostion. My goal is to switch off brain more often when photographing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    My goal is to switch off brain more often when photographing.
    I should find that easy enough!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In Death Valley for a long weekend - Morning on the Playa / Salt Creek
    IQ160 ALPA STC SK 35 1/4s f/11

Last edited by GrahamWelland; 8th November 2011 at 09:30.
    Ylem ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stunning image Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning image, Graham.

35mm @ f11 and all seems sharp, from a couple of meters to infinity: isn't it?

Thierry

Morning on the Playa / Salt River

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto: Graham, stunning images of Death valley and especially the Japanese garden!

TFS, S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

, GREAT shot!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Stunning image Graham.
    Agree!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

graham: amazing dof; what did focus mask show you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    graham: amazing dof; what did focus mask show you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Stunning image, Graham.

35mm @ f11 and all seems sharp, from a couple of meters to infinity: isn't it?

Thierry
    Ah, if it were only so ... it's a focus stack of 4 shots from 5ft to the horizon. All 35mm at f/11 though!

With the SK 35 I can get from 10ft to infinity at pixel peeping quality. For a print it's a lot less sensitive, especially since I'm scaling down with the IQ160 to fit the paper. Had I used my P25+ though it would have been as Thierry described as in from my toes to infinity pretty much.

I'm so quick at this these days that I'm not sure that a tilt would have been 'better' although obviously it would have saved on the CPU and disk storage of the intermediary images and the helicon focus stack.

Oh btw, it's not sharpened beyond the initial default capture sharpening in C1 Pro and remains tack sharp in the full 100% scale image ... now THAT impresses me with the Schneider technical glass.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 8th November 2011 at 09:29.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another from Death Valley - Dante's View Panoramic

IQ160 Alpa STC 35 XL Digitar 1/15s f/11 - 2x 10mm shift stitch.
    Ylem ...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In Death Valley for a long weekend - Morning on the Playa / Salt Creek

Damn bud save some of that for Feb.LOL

Very nice.

BTW the IQ 160 is fitting you very nicely. Glad I twisted both legs and arms on this one. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love the salt creek photo. The contrast between the sky and the white ground, and the depth provided by the mountain range in the distance is amazing.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning image Graham.
    Indeed! +1

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    BTW the IQ 160 is fitting you very nicely. Glad I twisted both legs and arms on this one. ROTFLMAO
    Actually, it's lucky that I'm single otherwise I'd have had more than my arms & legs twisted! It was a leap but I absolutely agree that it was the right choice in the end. As I'm sure it is with other IQ users, I absolutely love using this thing although I still lose a day of life expectancy every time I rotate the back on the Alpa.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

That is incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

Graham... (Doug and Thierry H Alpha)

Can you re-focus the camera without touching it, or do you have to use a 10kg tripod to make sure it does not move between shots, or do yo use manual or auto re-align?

Are there any option for tilt?

T/S lens?

T/S adapter?

bellows camera?

I am planning to make/modify a 35mm recessed P3 board for my 47XL to give me maximum movement.

Ah, if it were only so ... it's a focus stack of 4 shots from 5ft to the horizon. All 35mm at f/11 though!

With the SK 35 I can get from 10ft to infinity at pixel peeping quality. For a print it's a lot less sensitive, especially since I'm scaling down with the IQ160 to fit the paper. Had I used my P25+ though it would have been as Thierry described as in from my toes to infinity pretty much.

I'm so quick at this these days that I'm not sure that a tilt would have been 'better' although obviously it would have saved on the CPU and disk storage of the intermediary images and the helicon focus stack.

Oh btw, it's not sharpened beyond the initial default capture sharpening in C1 Pro and remains tack sharp in the full 100% scale image ... now THAT impresses me with the Schneider technical glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Graham... (Doug and T H)

Can you re-focus the camera without touching it, or do you have to use a 10kg tripod to make sure it does not move between shots, or do yo use manual or auto re-align?
    No - you have to touch the camera which always can introduce some movement between the images. Yes I do have a big sturdy tripod & head to minimize the impact of this. With the technical camera you also have to factor in the re-cocking of the shutter too.

In addition to the above, moving the focus point also introduces an apparent slight zoom as you go out towards infinity. Be aware also if you are shooting beyond 1s that your exposure will also be slightly different as it's manually set.

Helicon Focus adjusts for all of these movement, focus shift, and slight exposure changes between images automatically and you can tune the parameters for this.

Are there any option for tilt?
    T/S lens?
    T/S adapter?
    bellows camera?
    It depends on the technical camera manufacturer. Alpa offer a T/S adapter for 80mm+ lenses. Arca/Cambo offer wider T/S options. It's really only with the advent of live view with the IQ series that T/S has become practical. - you can of course shoot/review approach instead.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

It's really only with the advent of live view with the IQ series that T/S has become practical. - you can of course shoot/review approach instead.
    Thanks, Graham.

Does the IQ live view work in bright sunlight without an ND filter?

I think live video on the Hasselblad only works in subdued lighting, and the Sinar Liquid crystal shutter system does work.

For various reasons I hope to get a set of eShutters, and might use them with stackshot (on the rear standard for landscape).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have yet to master when live view works well on the IQ to be honest. In many situations I've tried there hasn't been enough light and so you get little more than a noise image. If it is too bright then it'll similarly blow out completely. I rarely get the Goldilocks moment personally but others seem to do better.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

This image and the one of Badwater (?) are stunning and excellent examples of what is possible with MFD in the right hands. Death Valley is "other-worldly" and you've successfully illustrated that description. Thanks for sharing your work and how you accomplished the images.

Post Thanks / Like

As beautiful as your precedent image: I like the colour tonalities, and the shadows of the clouds.

Thierry

Post Thanks / Like

Graham... (Doug and Thierry H Alpha)
    As Graham already said, you need to re-focus on the lens, thus touching the camera. But I don't see this as an issue, when one works in an organized manner and step by step. I am sure Graham is used to it and does the necessary images for is stacking in a few seconds.

T/S adapter?
    Yes, there is a Tilt/Swing adapter for the Alpa cameras, actually 2 different:

ALPA 0-6 (12) tilt/swing adapter, multi-use

and the +/- 12:

ALPA 0-12 (24) tilt/swing adapter, multi-use

For use at infinity, the +/- 6 adapter is more than enough.

Best regards
    Thierry

Post Thanks / Like

I'm calling this one "After the Fall"... IQ180, DF, SK 120 T/S at dusk...60 seconds at F something or other on a cube. gitzo carbon... knocked about in LR, Silver Effex and so on. Bit of fun with a somewhat flawed original file..

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

please don't take this the wrong way, as i like your image, but what does a 180 back and schneider lens bring to the table here? obviously, you are making use of tilt to narrow the plane of focus.

sometimes this question begs to be asked

Post Thanks / Like

please don't take this the wrong way, as i like your image, but what does a 180 back and schneider lens bring to the table here? obviously, you are making use of tilt to narrow the plane of focus.

sometimes this question begs to be asked
    i don't take it badly at all!

In fact the shot was taken with the reasonably succesful intention of using tilt so as to get the whole fallen tree in focus from near to far... and it made quite a boring shot, though one which in a very minor way showed off the possibilities of advanced gear and technique. But then I saw the possibility of another image in it, which I found more interesting, so I set out to find it. I wouldn't make any claims for it other than that it was an enjoyable process and, possibly, that it demonstrates my conviction that getting everything in focus at 80mp isn't the only game in town!

Shelby Lewis

please don't take this the wrong way, as i like your image, but what does a 180 back and schneider lens bring to the table here?
    well... for one... had his "happy accident" been even "happier", it could have been printed 10 feet wide, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim,

Glad you are having fun with the new TS! You keep referring to it as a "150" but I was under the impression the T/S is a 120 while the new LS (Leaf Shutter) lens is a 150 -- or is there a new 150 T/S lens I don't know about???
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm calling this one "After the Fall"... IQ180, DF, SK 120 T/S at dusk...60 seconds at F something or other on a cube. gitzo carbon... knocked about in LR, Silver Effex and so on. Bit of fun with a somewhat flawed original file..

I really love the baby's face and outstretched arms...

Post Thanks / Like

With the focus stitching in the Helicon program, I had one question; how do you know how many focal planes to use in a photograph? How do you know where one focus plane ends and another starts accurately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    With the focus stitching in the Helicon program, I had one question; how do you know how many focal planes to use in a photograph? How do you know where one focus plane ends and another starts accurately?
    It depends ... if you want to be super accurate then you can gather from standard DoF calculations what range of distances will be sharp enough for your chosen f-stop and use them. The reality is that you know what ranges you need based on experience.

In some situations you really only need to worry about the main scene components that need to be sharp. For example, I often only need to set the focus for the foreground objects, maybe optionally for a midground and then a distant shot to pick up background elements and infinity. It really depends on the scene and also the lens/f-stop you're using too.

It's really pretty easy and takes longer to describe than do for landscape type of shooting. For macro work I'm sure that you need to be more scientific about it. Helicon does all of the masking for you anyway although sometimes you may want to go in and override the automated masks and brush in important elements - an example of that would be when the automated depth merge messes up foliage that may have moved.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jack, my bad... It is indeed the 120... I'm not very smart!

I can't edit the title of the thread I started about it... can you? So that it comes up if people run a search looking for information.. Thanks in advance if you can..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Tim,

Glad you are having fun with the new TS! You keep referring to it as a "150" but I was under the impression the T/S is a 120 while the new LS (Leaf Shutter) lens is a 150 -- or is there a new 150 T/S lens I don't know about???

Post Thanks / Like

As Graham already said, you need to re-focus on the lens, thus touching the camera.
    Thierry
    Thanks Thierry.

It would be logical to have focus staking built in to MFDSLRs, (I think the HY6 had it, but it might involve redesigning the lenses to feed-back the focus distance to the electronics.) You can remotely focus a Hasselblad from a laptop, but you would have to do something awkward like manually selecting a different part of the subject to focus on for each picture... this would work in an avenue or where there were street lights, or in a multi-bay building like a cathedral.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, Dick.

The hy6 has effectively the automatic focus staking possibility. As well, one can control the Hy6 remotely from the computer, on the software level, by focusing in very small increments.

Best
    Thierry

Thanks Thierry.

It would be logical to have focus staking built in to MFDSLRs, (I think the HY6 had it, but it might involve redesigning the lenses to feed-back the focus distance to the electronics.) You can remotely focus a Hasselblad from a laptop, but you would have to do something awkward like manually selecting a different part of the subject to focus on for each picture... this would work in an avenue or where there were street lights, or in a multi-bay building like a cathedral.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really pretty easy and takes longer to describe than do for landscape type of shooting. For macro work I'm sure that you need to be more scientific about it. Helicon does all of the masking for you anyway although sometimes you may want to go in and override the automated masks and brush in important elements - an example of that would be when the automated depth merge messes up foliage that may have moved.
    Unfortunately, the retouching functions in Helicon Focus do not currently work with the 16 bit files from the 60 and 80 mp backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Unfortunately, the retouching functions in Helicon Focus do not currently work with the 16 bit files from the 60 and 80 mp backs.
    Helicon tells me that V5.2.11 works with the IQ180 test set I sent them some time ago. It is working for me, but with the odd problem. The "check for updates" function did not recognize this version a few weeks ago (had to download it manually), but does now.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have no problems with HF 4.2.7 but then again I'm on a Mac so simply didn't understand the question about 64bit image size issues
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As beautiful as your precedent image: I like the colour tonalities, and the shadows of the clouds.

Thierry
    Thanks Terry - that was exactly what I was going for in the image. DV has lot's of tone if you look for it - a straight rendering tends to be too bright or washed out even early in the day so I tried to pull the tones into a more interesting visible range.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Graham,

This image and the one of Badwater (?) are stunning and excellent examples of what is possible with MFD in the right hands. Death Valley is "other-worldly" and you've successfully illustrated that description. Thanks for sharing your work and how you accomplished the images.
    Joe - ditto regarding the other-worldly image attempts. If DV is anything it is another planet and so I tried to pick viewpoints that showed the strange nature of the place. Btw, I've actually never shot Badwater in the three times I've been to DV. Too many people and trampled salt pan for my liking and so I try to find other interesting locations. The salt creek image was take on the West Side Road access road across the valley. Hardly visited and often actually has water in the creek.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Jack, my bad... It is indeed the 120...
    I can't edit the title of the thread I started about it... can you?
    Done, at least I think I got most of them
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Graham - WOW! Loving the Death Valley shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    portrait of one of my wife's figurines... loving the look of the rz glass (even though the front bokeh isn't near as nice as the rear)

aptus ii 6, RZ IID, 110/2.8
    Interesting. We often forget about the front OOF areas. I have a 110mm 2.8 in M645 mount and have wondered if the lens formulae are identical or similar. I have found the rear bokeh to be rather wiry, particularly with contrasty lighting. Will test. Backyard is looking very Spring-like.

Post Thanks / Like

Another bit of fun with IQ180, DF body, SK 120 T/S, Cube and Gitzo Carbon

This was a shot I first tried a few years ago and quite liked the result - so it was always at the back of my mind to try it again on MF.

Conditions today not ideal (too windy for tripod slow exposures, not enough time) but the light was good and flat. SO... this is two almost identical exposures spliced almost down the middle. They both have swing, but along the plane of the row of huts so it had to be reversed from one shot to the next - and this is a non-trivial procedure involving moving the tripod collar on the lens after making an adjustment to the lens itself. All this also required ISO 200 which is not to my taste on the IQ back, but you have to get shutter speeds of at least 1/60th with this rig (very show speeds also work, over two seconds) to avoid blur, even with MUP. Especially given the need to shoot at F16 to get enough DOF...

I continue to realise how hard this lens is to Scheimpflug using the viewfinder or even by reviewing on screen. It would take a long time to get it right and I didn't do so.... not to the standard I'd have liked. But things will improve with time and practice I'm sure. In the meantime I have a file which would print acceptably at 5' by 2' so... not bad. I'd love to nail this eventually though...

Anyhoo here it is. Quite a lot of PP and surreal colours to match the mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Another bit of fun with IQ180, DF body, SK 120 T/S, Cube and Gitzo Carbon

This was a shot I first tried a few years ago and quite liked the result - so it was always at the back of my mind to try it again on MF.

Conditions today not ideal (too windy for tripod slow exposures, not enough time) but the light was good and flat. SO... this is two almost identical exposures spliced almost down the middle. They both have swing, but along the plane of the row of huts so it had to be reversed from one shot to the next - and this is a non-trivial procedure involving moving the tripod collar on the lens after making an adjustment to the lens itself. All this also required ISO 200 which is not to my taste on the IQ back, but you have to get shutter speeds of at least 1/60th with this rig (very show speeds also work, over two seconds) to avoid blur, even with MUP. Especially given the need to shoot at F16 to get enough DOF...

I continue to realise how hard this lens is to Scheimpflug using the viewfinder or even by reviewing on screen. It would take a long time to get it right and I didn't do so.... not to the standard I'd have liked. But things will improve with time and practice I'm sure. In the meantime I have a file which would print acceptably at 5' by 2' so... not bad. I'd love to nail this eventually though...

Anyhoo here it is. Quite a lot of PP and surreal colours to match the mood.

Tim,

Time and effort well spent. This is an outstanding image. Unusual, vibrant colors, well composed, well executed. Quite suited for printing BIG! Thanks for sharing the image and your process to create it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham - WOW! Loving the Death Valley shots.

+1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

White Mountains
    Almost night shot, 32 s
    H4D50 HC 50 mm 2

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Another bit of fun with IQ180, DF body, SK 120 T/S, Cube and Gitzo Carbon

Stunning image Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Tim,

Time and effort well spent. This is an outstanding image. Unusual, vibrant colors, well composed, well executed. Quite suited for printing BIG! Thanks for sharing the image and your process to create it.
    +1
    Bill