The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

. . .

I use that combo all the time ... pretty good IQ for using an extender.

-Marc
Actually better than pretty good - I'm tough on image quality and the Hasselblad tele extender is a positive surprise every time I use it. As I consider alterntatives for the next generation of MF in my life, the tele extender is one of the things that weighs in favor of continuing with Hasselblad.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Here's a couple of early AM plain-Jane snaps of San Xavier out of the P65+ I took during our S2 shoot:

Don Libby

This needs more work however I wanted to show this one as a work in progress. We had great skies and clouds earlier this week. This is from Moran Point, South Rim Grand Canyon.

Don

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Following is H3DII 39 Alpa Apo Switar 36 - first attempt in Phocus 2:shocked:

Bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Lovely image Jack. What's the exposure time? Pinhole glued onto a body cap?
Thanks Woody:

A bit of a fabrication on my part. Fact is it wasn't even an intended image, just a happy accident. It was taken when we were setting the cameras and lights for the studio session of our S2 review. (That is the dark-haired model, Denise, from the S2 test just prior to make-up.) We had the the strobes on, so just the modeling lamps -- which are tungsten until they pop. I was getting the camera set up and the radio slave didn't fire because my shutter speed was too high. So this is basically a frame shot under weak lights at ISO 100, 1/250th at f11.

The frame is virtually all black in C1's browser, but I could see just the highlights on her face so I took a shot at processing it. I had to boost exposure all the way right which in C1 is 2.5 stops. Not enough, so I literally dragged the RH 255 side of the levels slider down to the hottest R channel, which was around 100(!). Backed that off just a tad to keep the hair just barely separated from the background for the Rembrandt look. Now of course this much file pushing makes for a noisy image (massive understatement) so I had to apply NR. So now I'm stuck with this grainy, soft image but am surprised at how much it resembles a pinhole shot -- and the fact it looks kind of cool. So I adjusted WB which just looked plain with neutral skintones, but took on the candlelight look at around 9500K. Thinking it wasn't too bad, I finished it off with some saturation, shadow and highlight tweaking to balance it out, then added a 1.5 stop vignette. Voila, this was the result. But honestly, I think it is pretty cool and may try to replicate it in the future.

Full irony is I do have a body cap modified for a pinhole, and it was in my bag ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Being from California, I have to say that nothing about that looks "fun" :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Woody ---

I like the composition, but the "falling" horizon *REALLY* bugs me...

Sorry :(,

JimCollum

a couple from today's walk thru the woods

Aptus 75s, zeiss 110/2

Aptus 75s, zeiss 50/2.8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

The camera is roughly level on a fairly steep hillside. Perhaps a failed experiment.
Well, I can see that now that you mention it -- the trees and brush is growing "up." However, it still feels like like it's titled -- maybe it's just me? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.