Site Sponsors
Page 159 of 386 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,950 of 19289

Thread: Fun with MF images

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

djonesii,

some folks would call that florn

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, Pramote - but I think you did a little post on the size of the moon, no?
    Bill

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post
    djonesii,

some folks would call that florn

I should have flagged as NSFW. And most of the time, I tell my models to keep their naughty bits to themselves ....

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Dunkirk shale on the shore of Lake Erie.., Well above the Marcellus shale which is getting a lot of attention in the NE US lately. 645D, 120mm macro.

_IGP6408_7760 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Beautiful!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    This thread, as always, repleted with inspiration

Two more from Söderåsen nature reserve, this fall.
    AFDlll, 35AF and 50 shift, P45+
    Ray

Nicely done however I prefer the second image for some reason...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've missed out on so much working the past couple months. I'm in the process now of processing and printing for delivery in February however I'm attempting to take breaks now and then to catch up.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Beautiful!
    Thanks Don.
    I was looking at some of your wonderful Jackson shots and meant to ask you about a reference to Granite Creek. Is it the creek that empties into the Hoback River a bit east of Hoback Junction? I have some great memories of staying in a friend's family cabin along Granite creek and swimming in the hot spring during a snow fall. Great part of the world.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don.
    I was looking at some of your wonderful Jackson shots and meant to ask you about a reference to Granite Creek. Is it the creek that empties into the Hoback River a bit east of Hoback Junction? I have some great memories of staying in a friend's family cabin along Granite creek and swimming in the hot spring during a snow fall. Great part of the world.

Tom
    You're correct. Granite Creek is East of Jackson. We drove through Pindale on our way into Jackson passing Granite Creek. We tried twice to return to Pindale but never made it past Granite Creek. There's a State Park at the end of the road in Granite Creek that has a hot springs which is open year round. By the way - Hoback Jct is under heavy construction and has been since at least last year.

Cheers

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Wonderful color and light Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Some shots from a shoot today for a school assignment.

My kids. In each frame, the shadow content/hardness is supposed to correlate to a specific emotional state (here, how far down the healing path my kids have gone since losing my mom to suicide two years ago)... also the position of the chair is supposed to correlate how "close" I perceive each of the kids still feels to her loss. The were just told to be themselves and we did not speak of my mom at all... these were taken with just them in their normal states.

Cheers,
    Shelby
    Hi Shelby,

Lovely imagery with evocative story line - deeply touching.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted a B&W image of this shot on the Pentax 645D thread. In this image I kept the color in the starlings, but desaturated the sky and cropped considerably more; other than that, no manipulation.
    My intention was to photogaph more shale on the shore, but I had the 400mm f/5.6 with me just in case.

Tom

_IGP6448_7821modcolor by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Nice, Pramote - but I think you did a little post on the size of the moon, no?
    Bill
    Thank you Bill for your kind word.
    I only have minor adjustment of shadow, highlight, saturation and sharpening on this photo.
    Regards,
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beautiful image.

Thierry

I posted a B&W image of this shot on the Pentax 645D thread. In this image I kept the color in the starlings, but desaturated the sky and cropped considerably more; other than that, no manipulation.
    My intention was to photogaph more shale on the shore, but I had the 400mm f/5.6 with me just in case.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

_IGP6448_7821modcolor by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Georgous!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom
    tom, personally, I like this so much better than the B&W. Beautiful.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

like!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Thank you Bill for your kind word.
    I only have minor adjustment of shadow, highlight, saturation and sharpening on this photo.
    Regards,
    Pramote
    Then I'm puzzled as to why the moon looks so large when you were using a 28 mm lens? Or did you crop a lot? (Doesn't look like it from the perspective.) Or is it simply the halo?

I've often shot the moon and in my pix it doesn't look that big even with a standard 80 mm lens. Please enlighten me!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then I'm puzzled as to why the moon looks so large when you were using a 28 mm lens? Or did you crop a lot? (Doesn't look like it from the perspective.) Or is it simply the halo?

I've often shot the moon and in my pix it doesn't look that big even with a standard 80 mm lens. Please enlighten me!

Bill
    I agree Bill. It seems all of my photos using a normal to wide angle lens that include the moon in the landscape, the moon always appears smaller in the photo than it does in real life. I don't know why that it, but it has been apparent in many photos. I admit to being "creative" and pasting in a moon that appears more correct size-wize - after all, my goal is to represent what I saw and the "as-shot" photo with the moon is not what I saw.

I am posting the above information as a point of reference only. I am not questioning Pramote's statement or integrity. I just want to know how it was done in camera so I can learn from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you all for your comments.

Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    ...the moon always appears smaller in the photo than it does in real life...
    It is called the Moon Illusion. You can Google it. There is no explanation beyond that your mind is fooling you, although the most common reason given that has not been proven is that it has to do with the comparison of objects at the horizon. Except for distortions, the moon is always the same size no matter how close it is to the horizon--there is no magnification at the horizon. Your camera is showing how it looks in real life.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely right, and it is an optical illusion: when the moon is at horizon and "close" to other elements to be compared with (trees, mountains, hills, etc ...) it appears bigger than it is in the full empty sky where one has nothing to compare.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    It is called the Moon Illusion. You can Google it. There is no explanation beyond that your mind is fooling you, although the most common reason given that has not been proven is that it has to do with the comparison of objects at the horizon. Except for distortions, the moon is always the same size no matter how close it is to the horizon--there is no magnification at the horizon. Your camera is showing how it looks in real life.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the most jaw-droppingly impressive sights of my life was watching the moon set behind a distant wooded ridge through a telescope. Imagine the small dark silhouettes of trees. Behind them, filling the field of view, is an enormous moving wall of craters and mountains.

As for the moon illusion being due to comparison with objects near it in the visual field, I don't think it needs proof. Just hold up your hand next to the moon and it will suddenly look very tiny.

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Absolutely right, and it is an optical illusion: when the moon is at horizon and "close" to other elements to be compared with (trees, mountains, hills, etc ...) it appears bigger than it is in the full empty sky where one has nothing to compare.

Thierry
    Thierry, that is the common explanation, but the folks that have studied this have not come up with a definite conclusion of why we perceive the moon this way--if we view the moon high in the sky through tree branches or next to tall buildings, we don't have this perception. And trees on the horizon are not very big and trees themselves are not very big, why would that influence our perception of the Moon that we expect to be huge in comparison--we should have the opposite response. It is simply one hypothesis among many. One thing is for sure, it is an illusion and not an optical/physical effect caused by the atmosphere or the distance to the Moon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I read up on it as suggested and perhaps the problem with some of my photos is that the moon is not low enough on the horizon to get the appearance of larger size.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill
    Hi Bill,

I checked the lens profile again to make sure and it was really 28mm with f/4.5, ISO 100 and exposure of 1 minute.
    It was very dark. That's the best I could do. I've learned over the past few months that the exposure of 1 minute is the sweet spot for long exposure of the IQ 180. I've also learned that DOF is quite acceptable for Mamiya 28mm at f/4.5 in low light.
    It is probably ~ 10% crop or less. Although the moon was very big, I think other reasons beyond the illusion may also be the effect of "long exposure" and wide-opened F stop.
    Thank you everyone for giving very useful comments on this issue.

Best regards,

Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 15th December 2011 at 16:38. Reason: clarification

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I read up on it as suggested and perhaps the problem with some of my photos is that the moon is not low enough on the horizon to get the appearance of larger size.
    That won't do it--the Moon will not change its size and the Moon Illusion only works "live"--you can't see the illusion in a photograph (which is another interesting point about the illusion as many spacial illusions will continue to work when photographed). If you want a large moon, you are going to have to add it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The rule of thumb for the size of the moon (or sun) in a photo is to divide the focal length of the lens by 100. (Actually, 109 if you want to be very precise.)

This means a 28 mm lens gives an image of 0.28 mm - or roughly 1/200th of the horizontal size of the IQ180 frame. Pramote's moon is way larger than that - I'd say about 1/20th of the frame.

I can only assume that there is considerable blooming of the image - like 10 times - caused by either haze in the sky or a heavily saturated sensor - or both. In my experience I have to use a lens of about 300 mms to get an image of the moon as big as it appears in Pramote's pic.

Still a nice shot though, even if I don't understand the physics!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Ben,

The Kotel Rain image on your fine art site is excellent. Thought provoking to say the least.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

First paid shoot with my new Mamiya DM28

Insides shot shot with standard 80mm lens
    Outside shots, shot with 105-210mm lens.

CH_TrendPhoto_000135-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

CH_TrendPhoto_000142-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

CH_TrendPhoto_000145-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

CH_TrendPhoto_000161-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

CH_TrendPhoto_000158-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Curtis...Fantastic shots!

Chatfield State park
    Littleton, CO

P1 DF with IQ 180 and Mamiya 75-150mm at 75mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Ben,

The Kotel Rain image on your fine art site is excellent. Thought provoking to say the least.

Ed
    Thanks Ed but interested how you got to it from this thread?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was having fun in the garden today. Pentax 645D, 55mm, 120mm Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

Curtis...Fantastic shots!

Chatfield State park
    Littleton, CO

P1 DF with IQ 180 and Mamiya 75-150mm at 75mm.
    Thx!!

Likewise . . . what a beautiful Sunset!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First truly cold day here on the Bruce Peninsula, -8C. 55 mm LS, IQ180 iso 800 Sensor+. (Hand held)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First truly cold day here on the Bruce Peninsula, -8C. 55 mm LS, IQ180 iso 800 Sensor+. (Hand held)
    Bill, this is an often overlooked time of year. BTW, did you break the ice after taking the image?

Shelby Lewis

Went for a short walk this afternoon... RZ Pro IID - Aptus II 6 - 110/2.8

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Shashin, and no, I didn't break it!

Shelby, love your 2nd heron! Great composition. (The 1st ain't bad either!)
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My first post in this thread:

I did a beauty test shoot with a beautiful model from Muse NYC last night. Here are the results:

C&C Welcome.

1st look- Clarity increased.

Muse-Caroline D by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

2nd look:

Muse-Caroline by mikedotephoto, on Flickr
    Last edited by Mike Dote; 18th December 2011 at 13:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice...

¿You were testing the model not the camera or lighting kit?

A beautiful Young Lady that seems composed, happy and confident apparently naked. (I would like to shoot all tests naked... to see if the model could look composed naked, and because you do not know which bits of the model might be exposed in assignments.)

Her complexion looks good but not perfect (you need to be about 7 to have perfect complexion).

I prefer the lower-contrast, lighter first picture, but the second is probably more what people want now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dote View Post
    My first post in this thread:

I did a beauty test shoot with a beautiful model from Muse NYC last night. Here are the results:

C&C Welcome.

1st look

Muse-Caroline D by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

2nd look:

Muse-Caroline by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looks happy???

Post Thanks / Like

I was definitely testing the model, but also the camera.... I just got it- and I ran into a couple hitches that I will need to call Steve at CI about.

And she was wearing a tube top- so she wasn't naked. Tube bad.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And she was wearing a tube top- so she wasn't naked. Tube bad.
    Oh well. Even her goose bumps look nice in the first shot.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Oh well. Even her goose bumps look nice in the first shot.
    I prefer to shoot those sorts topless (model not me LOL) since tube tops do change the shape.
    Also I can't tell in that image but you might try processing it by dialing down clarity by 20-30 points for the skin and then layering that with a clarity +20 for the eyes and other details you might want to pick up.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really notice the goosebumps til now.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been masking in a gaussian blur of 20 at 37% with photoshop, but I think I neglected to mask it in on her shoulders...

I will rework the image and replace the current photo on flickr with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have abandoned blur completely in favor of frequency separation retouch.
    It makes for more real looking skin.
    dialing down clarity reduces the contrast in the skin so you have less work to do.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really notice the goosebumps til now.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been masking in a gaussian blur of 20 at 37% with photoshop, but I think I neglected to mask it in on her shoulders...

I will rework the image and replace the current photo on flickr with it.
    It is difficult to make skin look real and smooth... in the pre-digital age I used the split-image range finder to focus on the ears... to get the hair sharp and the face slightly soft... this is far too complicated for digital cameras, but they could invent an option to focus a specified distance ¿7cm cheek to widest part of the head? beyond the sampled area.

The technical solution for goose pimples is to make sure that the poor young lady is warm enough... and to be warm and relaxed when you are not active (and wearing little of nothing) you need a room temperature of about 25 degrees centigrade (this is what I used when I was a masseur)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Skin retouch.
    This gal had very dry skin with red bumps ALL over.
    Here is the face retouch using the frequency separation technique.
    The finished also had some dodge and burn applied.

-bob

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, love your 2nd heron! Great composition. (The 1st ain't bad either!)
    Bill
    Thanks Bill!
    Shelby