The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

I love these warm toned images of Jack's taken with the 65+. I just returned from Bosque del Apache where I took a lot of color images with my 65+...and since I did literally everything handheld, I made use of sensor plus at iso 400 with really wonderful results. I also shot at non sensor plus when conditions were a bit brighter at iso 100 - 200. Here are some examples of my color shots. I always like seeing a lot of delicate detail! eleanor (ps--don't know why these images don't come up in the message)

Last edited:

JimCollum

Eleanor,

I love both of these!! I've always been a fan of 'chaos' (not just in images either.. just ask Jack), and the ability to find patterns and resonance in that chaos. You've done so with both images

I love these warm toned images of Jack's taken with the 65+. I just returned from Bosque del Apache where I took a lot of color images with my 65+...and since I did literally everything handheld, I made use of sensor plus at iso 400 with really wonderful results. I also shot at non sensor plus when conditions were a bit brighter at iso 100 - 200. Here are some examples of my color shots. I always like seeing a lot of delicate detail! eleanor (ps--don't know why these images don't come up in the message)

JimCollum

Don,

this has been my favorite so far in your Monument Valley series.. this one effectively portrays the agelessness of the area

The following were all taken in Monument Valley all with the Cambo WRS and P45+ and various lenses. I love going to Monument Valley so much that I actually sat in one spot for hours never taking a single image....

Don

JimCollum

nice Jack!

it's been years, but i'm sure I have an image from that same spot.. i'll try to dig it up

I hear you Don --- unfortunately, the shooting position I was stuck to wouldn't allow me to get the bush out. I could crop it to thinner and get it though. Here is a different composition of the same area with a bit heavier warm tone. I'm not exactly sure why, but I prefer this one I think:

JimCollum

A new month, and a new theme for the POD (Pic-o-day) series

February 2010
I've been living in the Santa Cruz, Ca region for over 20 years now. There have been people I've passed weekly while walking through town, in parks, who I've seen time after time. I don't know them, don't know their story.. but i know their faces. For February, I'll try to meet many of them, learn their stories, and ask to borrow their likeness for record. Their stories will remain mine (... for those in the area, the opportunity is there for you to learn if you wish it), but their likeness will be posted here

The first shot of the series

Pan - Philosopher - Santa Cruz

Don Libby

Eleanor – Love the colors and tones on the second image. Glad you got the thread fixed.

Don

Don Libby

Don,

this has been my favorite so far in your Monument Valley series.. this one effectively portrays the agelessness of the area
Jim – Thanks I like this one as well.

I like your new plan for the monthly POD. The first image is great I like the way it shows stories that have been told and those waiting to be. Nice mustache too!

Okay you’ve got 27 more days of people ;)

eleanorbrown

thanks for your comments Don and Jim. Bosque has tons of chaos and I always am challenged to make some organization and sense out of it! Bosque was much much more than I expected....never seen anything like it! eleanor

eleanorbrown

Jack when I saw this place my immediate reaction was it had to be done as a color project just because the abundance of reds, rusts, etc. However I really like the images you posted recently of the trees and pond done is monotone warmtone. Makes me wonder if some of the images from Bosque would work processed that way. eleanor

Very nice Eleanor! I love the range of warm hues.

eleanorbrown

Don, Tucson is close to Bosque...have you ever photographed there? if you hit the right time of year and the right light the predominance of deep rich rusts is worth the trip.....a grass/marsh version of the Grand Canyon. eleanor

what a great way to describe the scene!

I also agree that maybe a nice warm hue b&w but then I worry about the loss of all the great colors.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Whew, nice tonal range there Jack! Deep looking blacks but with detail. Looks like you are getting that 60 meg sucker to sing for you.

-Marc
Thanks Marc, coming from you, that's quite a compliment!

It's a longer story that you think for that particular image though :rolleyes:. The story aside, I am *really* loving the files off this new back. Not sure if it's Dalsa or just me getting better at processing Phase files, but I'm getting phenomenal tonal range, great shadow detail AND all of that while maintaining good highlight tones -- and of course great image detail. All of which combined of course make for great B&W conversions! I'm very happy with the upgrade for sure :D

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Jack when I saw this place my immediate reaction was it had to be done as a color project just because the abundance of reds, rusts, etc. However I really like the images you posted recently of the trees and pond done is monotone warmtone. Makes me wonder if some of the images from Bosque would work processed that way. eleanor
My opinion is most of the very good color images are close to a color monotone anyway, as are these wonderful shots of yours. Those color transitions should translate to B&W gradations I would think quite nicely.

eleanorbrown

Jack I'm finding that the red spectrum seems to be rendered differently in the Dalse chip (of course this may be the profile). I was please with the rendering of the predominance of red hues at Bosque with my 65+. They came out very rich. eleanor

Thanks Marc, coming from you, that's quite a compliment!

It's a longer story that you think for that particular image though :rolleyes:. The story aside, I am *really* loving the files off this new back. Not sure if it's Dalsa or just me getting better at processing Phase files, but I'm getting phenomenal tonal range, great shadow detail AND all of that while maintaining good highlight tones -- and of course great image detail. All of which combined of course make for great B&W conversions! I'm very happy with the upgrade for sure :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jim, was that from when we were there before the Gladding McBean shoot, and is that a Betterlight scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.