The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Richardson

Steve, can you explain why the waterfall is lit up? Do they light it? It does not look like it could be sunset light, as wouldn't that reflect on the rest of the wall as well?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve, can you explain why the waterfall is lit up? Do they light it? It does not look like it could be sunset light, as wouldn't that reflect on the rest of the wall as well?
Stuart,

I'm not Steve but I'll answer with what I know...

There is one week per year (actually two) when the angle of the Sun as it's setting is just right so that the light comes right up the valley and glances along the side of El Capitan. If there's been rain or snow and warm weather, then there is enough water for a small fall to form, and when it does it resembles a horse's tail -- hence the name. But there is nothing to hold water up there, so the fall only lasts a few hours after a rainstorm, or if there's enough snow-pack and daytime warmth to create a sufficient melt to feed it. Anyway, now you need a confluence of rain and/or snow and warmth and clear enough skies for the Sun to have a clear path to light the falls, and all this happen during the third week of February when the Sun is at the proper angle to get this shot, so it doesn't happen very frequently. (Theoretically it can also happen around the last week in October, but there's usually not any water to create the fall.)

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Horsetail Falls

Hi Stuart,

As Jack said. The Sun has to be at the proper angle and atmospheric conditions around the bay area have to be devoid of clouds or fog banks that would diffuse the sunlight as it moves eastward. At the right time (the proper orbital positions of the Earth and Sun), the Sun's angle on the horizon is such the water is lit, but the rock face behind it is not. The color can be gray-gold-orange-pink-red, depending on the atmospheric conditions, such as particulates that scatter shorter wavelengths.

I posted a photo with red, but I'll process some of the others that were bright orange on Tues. On Wed, the Falls failed to really light, but what was there was pink.

Thanks, steve

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Horsetail Falls HDR

This is an HDR I shot Wed pm. The color is quite different, more yellow, and only lasted a minute or so. I tried an HDR as the sun went down and the dynamic range went up with sunlight on the falls and shadows elsewhere that didn't come out with one photo well. It was getting dark as I shot these.

Thanks, steve

P

Photon

Mindblowing images, Steve. Bet you can hardly wait to print them (large!).:eek:

Warmest,

Ton

etrump

Jim, these are wonderful. The DOF and processing is great but what really makes them are the fantastic subjects.

etrump

Getting caught up on processing last years images for my gallery opening.

Smoke from forest fires west of the park made for some interesting light. Normally my attempts at including the sun in the frame don't work out but I kind of like this one so I thought I would share it.

Reynolds Creek, Glacier National Park

Cambo RS 1000, 35XL, P45DB

Dale Allyn

Beautiful image, Ed. I like the backlighting on the falls. With the direct sunlight, the image conveys the feeling of such a place very well. Thanks for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.