Site Sponsors
Page 184 of 386 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,200 of 19299

Thread: Fun with MF images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Welcome Ashwin. I've seen some of your images on other threads and I think you'll like the 645D; I would suggest you obtain a 35mm and 120mm macro for the camera, and maybe the 150mm FA and ..... ...- it never ends . Seriously, the 35 and 120 along with the 75 are a good starting point with this camera.

Tom
    Thanks so much, Tom, Shashin, and Wentbackward. I ordered the 120 macro from KEH, and should have that next week...The 35's are a bit pricey, but there's one at the local shop where I snagged the 645D, so I may go try to get them to give me a good price LOL.

Thanks again for the advise. That shoiuld keep me sated for some time, though that 55 f/2.8 AF lens looks nice too, but probably too close to the 75 for both to see substantial use...

Shashin, thanks for the advice as well. I suspect that I'll be posting more here, as the 645D thread on the pentax forum is slow paced...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I hope your daughter isn't poor because you spent her college fund on your camera. Or did you decide she is not going to college? Beautiful girl and lovely image.
    Hehe, no poor because I bribed with a trip to the park so I could get some pictures. It was good practice, like trying to shoot a rubber bouncing ball in a concrete room, DF in one hand and flash in the other, you can imagine how I looked lying on the path in park, after she'd run off.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was inspired by Tom. Here is the center of a dandelion head. Pentax 645D with A 120mm macro and ISO1600 because of the wind. Also a Lily of the Valley in my woods (as well as the Ivy of the Poison). Ironic as I live on the crest of a ridge. Same setup, but ISO 400. Both taken this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One P45+, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Mamiya 75-150 D @ 115mm, ISO 50

Last edited by subrata1965; 28th May 2012 at 08:14.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

W.Backward and Darr, Yes, you broke my cover. I'm here.
    Various format comparisons - for what they are worth at web size, are here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
    W.Backward and Darr, Yes, you broke my cover. I'm here.
    Various format comparisons - for what they are worth at web size, are here.
    Your style is too distinctive. It's always a privilege to meet ones primary sources of inspiration. Welcome to the forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was inspired by Tom. Here is the center of a dandelion head. Pentax 645D with A 120mm macro and ISO1600 because of the wind. Also a Lily of the Valley in my woods (as well as the Ivy of the Poison). Ironic as I live on the crest of a ridge. Same setup, but ISO 400. Both taken this evening.
    Thanks Shashin. Have you noticed an increase in poison ivy in Maine? There has been a noticeable increase over the past decade here; some forests and roadsides in W. New York are virtually impossible to enter without exposure.

Ashwin be sure to post some 645D images here. Iíve enjoyed your photos on the Leica threads ( I donít own one, I read it since I like the photos).
    Iím curious why you chose the 645D (since you seem to have no previous investment in the Pentax 645 system) over the D800(E), which is the current camera du jour and I donít mean that in a derogatory sense, as it appears to be quite a breakthrough camera.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    Probably my favorite so far from your Venice series.
    Love the naturally subdued colours, reminds me of an old oil painting...
    Thank you for the kind remarks - Darr, Shashin, Nathan and Jorgen.

I thought it had an old-timey look to it myself when I came across this scene.

Got soaked taking this one from the Rialto Bridge! A pleasant memory for sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Shashin. Have you noticed an increase in poison ivy in Maine? There has been a noticeable increase over the past decade here; some forests and roadsides in W. New York are virtually impossible to enter without exposure.
    I moved to Maine about six years ago and have lived in three different houses--I hope this is the last. I really can comment about the poison ivy, but being born in New England, I can tell you there were no ticks anywhere during my childhood--I pulled 30+ of the little buggers off me that last time I spent an afternoon in the wood, 15 from just the back of my head. Spring is also getting earlier and fall later. We are even getting birds we never had. But that is something we are going to have to get used to because of Climate Change. Buy American maple syrup while you can. It will have to be imported from Canada not very far in the future. But don't tell them about the poison ivy.

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A taste of summer--- (back to rain here for the next few days...)

H4D-40 with the 80mm again wide open, really made the file scream here (in capture), but I was looking for a bright, hot feeling.. borderline overcooked? or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

I've not received my D800E , so it's still Hasselblad here

Always views from my last trip in UTAH & California !

H4D50 HC 28 HTS

NB : firdt test of the Coloreffect soft !
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The more I use the 80mm the more I like it... again wide open... shot through some branches... gotta love the true focus, nailed it again.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Simply sensational, Nathan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    borderline overcooked? or not?
    I didn't think so, I love images that push beyond boundaries. I love the way the road is totally blown out, curving into the scene and then gradually coming into detail at the same point as the plane of focus, plus the splash of colour there, you have many elements colour, contrast, detail, plus three strong lines all coming in at the same point. It does it for me anyway

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin be sure to post some 645D images here. I’ve enjoyed your photos on the Leica threads ( I don’t own one, I read it since I like the photos).
    I’m curious why you chose the 645D (since you seem to have no previous investment in the Pentax 645 system) over the D800(E), which is the current camera du jour and I don’t mean that in a derogatory sense, as it appears to be quite a breakthrough camera.

Tom
    Hi Tom,
    Great question, with a few answers. For one, it was the price I paid for the 645. I was able to trade my K5 kit and a little used (but costly) Leica M lens to recoup most of the cost of the 645D + 75 mm lens.... This was immediately available, while the 800E is still not available where I am.

Next up was a cost analysis. The 645D and 75 cost me about $7K overall, with little new investment. Pentax SMC-A and FA lenses are actually reasonably priced, and I have been able to pay less that $200 for a 150 mm lens (90 mm equiv) and $350 for the 120 f/4 macro. Thus, for 1 camera and 3 high quality optical products, I paid under $8K.

In comparison, the Nikon system, for which I have no current investment, would cost $3300 for the D800E body, plus an equivalent high quality 50/75/90 lens kit (High quality Nikon, Zeiss, or LEica R glass, specifically nice glass to insure optimal resolution that the D800E's FX sensor would demand) would run an additional $3000-7000 or so dollars...

Sure, the Nikon system would offer more lens options and flexibility, but that would mean more Gear Acquisition syndrome and further cost to me. Sure the Nikon system would offer better high ISO performance and improved AF for some circumstances, but at the loss of sensor size and real estate, depth of field at an equivalent aperture....

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...hard to say. I also value CCD sensor output, and see something missing (a certain je ne sais quoi) with CMOS sensors in terms of sharpness and pop, 3 dimensionality. Maybe it's the Leica placebo effect, but I am seeing much the same IQ in the 645D that I have valued in my Leica M kit, but with much cheaper glass...

Finally, I have used 35 mm SLR's before, and it's sort of a been-there-done that perspective for me. I want to try something "new" to me...

Given the limitations of Lens selection options (limiting GAS) and increased sensor real-estate, and a "price is right" proposition that I was faced with this week-end, I sprung for the kit.

So far so good....

And heck, it's great to be part of this particular forum, having wandered into these hallowed halls...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, a few 645/75 FA "street" captures...I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!

And one, just for fun...nice to be able to hand the camera off to the sig-O and get a fun shot
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    ...........Next up was a cost analysis. The 645D and 75 cost me about $7K overall, with little new investment. Pentax SMC-A and FA lenses are actually reasonably priced, and I have been able to pay less that $200 for a 150 mm lens (90 mm equiv) and $350 for the 120 f/4 macro. Thus, for 1 camera and 3 high quality optical products, I paid under $8K.

In comparison, the Nikon system, for which I have no current investment, would cost $3300 for the D800E body, plus an equivalent high quality 50/75/90 lens kit (High quality Nikon, Zeiss, or LEica R glass, specifically nice glass to insure optimal resolution that the D800E's FX sensor would demand) would run an additional $3000-7000 or so dollars...

Sure, the Nikon system would offer more lens options and flexibility, but that would mean more Gear Acquisition syndrome and further cost to me. Sure the Nikon system would offer better high ISO performance and improved AF for some circumstances, but at the loss of sensor size and real estate, depth of field at an equivalent aperture....

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...hard to say. I also value CCD sensor output, and see something missing (a certain je ne sais quoi) with CMOS sensors in terms of sharpness and pop, 3 dimensionality. Maybe it's the Leica placebo effect, but I am seeing much the same IQ in the 645D that I have valued in my Leica M kit, but with much cheaper glass..........................

So far so good....

And heck, it's great to be part of this particular forum, having wandered into these hallowed halls...
    Parallels my analysis. I think you will really enjoy this camera (and this thread).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...
    Size does matter. I frequently use Nick Brandts animal portraits as an example. Their sheer beauty can move me on artistic impression alone, all done with a Pentax. I often feel that images vibrate a kind of energy and for me that increases with format size. In small format, only Leica and Zeiss really do it for me. My dream is a 40MP (I'm not greedy) 4x5 instant capture device.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    My dream is a 40MP (I'm not greedy) 4x5 instant capture device.
    Well stated!

LOL....nice! Dare to dream
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, a few 645/75 FA "street" captures...I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!
    +1. I really enjoy using the 645D on the streets--I had a blast on my last trip to Tokyo (I don't get the options here in Maine). I really like the Pentax colors too. Don't let folks give you any guff about not being able to handhold MFD--they are just jealous because they can't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't let folks give you any guff about not being able to handhold MFD--they are just jealous because they can't do it.
    Being able to use MFD hand-held is one thing, but getting more res than you could with a Cannon or Nikon is something altogether different - and I think this is why so few wedding photographers use MFD... but the Hasselblad H4D-40 is supposed to be good enough at high ISO to make it an option.

I do not use my H4D-60 hand-held very much without studio flash... I have somewhere a test shot of the Hasselblad rep that I tool with the 300mm.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my H4D-40 handheld for most portrait/fashion stuff... It only gets locked down on a tripod for large groups, or when I am doing certain types of advertising/commercial work...

I find it works well hand held, and when shutter speeds get marginal I use the mirror delay function... Amazing what difference bumping the lag to 100 or even 200 milliseconds will do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Being able to use MFD hand-held is one thing, but getting more res than you could with a Canon or Nikon is something altogether different...
    Nope, piece of cake. This is at 1/60s, 100% crop. YMMV. I think the reason most wedding photographers don't use MFD is economic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I always use a tripod when practical, having lost too many shots over the years to camera shake; but, having said that, the 645D is very handholdable. Here's a shot I posted in the 645D thread: Handheld 400mm ! FA lens @1/500 s, ISO 800. Crop of unsharpened RAW file (other than mild ACR); no PP.

1_IGP7118 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Size does matter. I frequently use Nick Brandts animal portraits as an example. Their sheer beauty can move me on artistic impression alone, all done with a Pentax. I often feel that images vibrate a kind of energy and for me that increases with format size. In small format, only Leica and Zeiss really do it for me. My dream is a 40MP (I'm not greedy) 4x5 instant capture device.
    I agree, Brandt's images are remarkable; as far as I know, he still uses a Pentax 6x7 film camera and no telephoto over 200mm and yet he produces the best images of African wildlife I've seen (IMHO).

Sorry to read you have your equipment up for sale Paul; you could try a 645D and have a lot of left over money.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I am considering one! Love the seagulls image, very beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

Here is some of my latest long exposure works! Any critiques/comments or likes are welcomed as always

Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID + Mamiya 50mm f/4.5 ULD + Fuji Acros 100 home developed in Rodina/Adonal 1+100 in 20min + Epson V700 scanner + Sekonic L-758DR + Lee Big Stopper

Thanks for looking

Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aryan Aqajani View Post
    Hi guys,

Here is some of my latest long exposure works! Any critiques/comments or likes are welcomed as always

Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID + Mamiya 50mm f/4.5 ULD + Fuji Acros 100 home developed in Rodina/Adonal 1+100 in 20min + Epson V700 scanner + Sekonic L-758DR + Lee Big Stopper

Thanks for looking

Very beautiful.
    woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa TC + IQ 180 + SK 48.

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More of the same.

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Very beautiful.
    +1
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roxborough State Park, Littleton, CO

Hasselblad H4D-40
    Hasselblad HCD 28mm with HTS 1.5
    Cokins 0.6 GND
    ISO 100; f/32; Exposure 0.5 sec

Cheers,
    Pramote
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    More of the same.

Thanks for the comment Woody, appreciate it

Your photos are really nice. Liked the b&w tones and amazing vertical lines. Well done.
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Woody, handheld, I assume?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi everybody !

So, before everybody leave this part of the forum, for the Nikon Forum , a picture taken by my good old Hassy !

NB : D800 will never have the bright and large viewfinder of my Hassy ! i come from the 35 mm world, so I appreciate this ! Just my two cents

H4D50 HC 28
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

Roxborough State Park, Littleton, CO

Hasselblad H4D-40
    Hasselblad HCD 28mm with HTS 1.5
    Cokins 0.6 GND
    ISO 100; f/32; Exposure 0.5 sec

Cheers,
    Pramote
    Very nice !

I see you have used the HTS, what is your opinion on this ?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    Very nice !

I see you have used the HTS, what is your opinion on this ?
    Thanks Jerome!
    I also own the D800. I completely agree with you about the viewfinder of the Hasselblad. The joy of handling the body and looking at the hugh viewfinder is priceless. To me, there are something else beyond the pixel counts.
    I love the HTS 1.5. It works very well with the HCD 28mm. The handling is much nicer than my favorite Canon 17mm T/S.
    Best regards,
    Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerome.. Another picture (Downtown San Diego) using the HTS 1.5 and panning. For sure, the HTS is a lot of fun to use.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trail Ridge Road @ Rocky Mt. National Park on Memorial Day.
    This is at ~ 12, 000 Ft elevetion.
    It was so cold! 21 degrees F with ~60-70-mph (I was told by a park ranger).
    I've been there many many times and was the only one who weared leather jacket, hood, gloves etc. Some people did not even bring the jacket.
    Flurry of snow made perfect.

P1 DF with IQ 180 and 0.9 reverse GND filter
    Mamiya 35mm AF (without AF). This is the best investment I've ever made. It was only $175 on ebay! I've been using this lens as much as Mamiya 28mm and SK 55mm LS. And I paid >$ 4, 000 for a SK 150mm LS!!!
    I just printed it out from my Epson 4900 and it was sharp edge-to-edge.

Thanks for viewing.
    Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 31st May 2012 at 10:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad with a CF39-MS back and the 50mm lens. I use the waist level finder most of the time.
    Not using the multi-shot feature - this is a 3-shot bracketed tone map.
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
    Hasselblad with a CF39-MS back and the 50mm lens. I use the waist level finder most of the time.
    Not using the multi-shot feature - this is a 3-shot bracketed tone map.
    How wonderful to have you and your beautiful work here at getDPI Chris!!

Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

Jerome.. Another picture (Downtown San Diego) using the HTS 1.5 and panning. For sure, the HTS is a lot of fun to use.
    Thanks !

I used the HTS during my last trip, and it was fun, but in fact your 28 becomes a 43 and I'm sometime dispointed with the sharpness. Its difficult th have the best sharpness when you tilst shift : You need a good eye in the viewfinder !!!!

NB : I'm testing Silver effect and color effect. If we buy all the tool, it's 299 euros for Lightroom only

question : do we need Lightroo AND Photoshop ?

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use all three, Lightroom 4, Capture 1, and Photoshop CS6. All for different reasons.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of crops...

ZOoming in, I missed this little detail....lady holding the flower:
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post
    I use all three, Lightroom 4, Capture 1, and Photoshop CS6. All for different reasons.
    In fact my question was not very clear :
    Nik Software "Complete Collection - Lightroom Edition" is 299 Ä
    but Complete Collection (Lightroom + Photoshop) is 499 Ä

It seems that once it's done with Lightroom, I don't see the advantage to use Niksoft with photoshop (may be for sharpening or noise removing ?)

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you only need one.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    In fact my question was not very clear :
    Nik Software "Complete Collection - Lightroom Edition" is 299 Ä
    but Complete Collection (Lightroom + Photoshop) is 499 Ä

It seems that once it's done with Lightroom, I don't see the advantage to use Niksoft with photoshop (may be for sharpening or noise removing ?)
    Decide where you spend the majority of your image manipulation and buy the version for that application. If you use LR for almost everything with just an occasional trip to PS then it would make sense just to get the LR edition. If you use LR just for raw conversion and image management but spend the majority of your time in PS then obviously that's the version to get.

I'm like Vincent and use several applications with PS being the common platform so under those situations it makes sense to get either a PS version of the suite or in my case the bundle since I also sometimes use Aperture too.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

With emphasis very much on the "fun" in the thread title, a proof of concept...

Phase One AF, Mamiya 300mm f/2.8, IQ180. Shot at f/2.8 (107mm physical aperture). 144 separate photos stitched together with a bit of a crop afterwards. Result is a 4.4 gigapixel file, with a horizontal FoV roughly equivalent to a 22mm lens on full frame MF.

To get the same depth of field though, that lens would have to be an f/0.2.

Of course, given that this is not much more than 1% of the full size, I think a lot of the impact is missed. Here's a link to a full resolution version (requires Flash), but really I think it would need to be printed fairly large to get the full impression - it would print 28 feet wide at 300ppi:

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald,

I'd heard that there was a power brown out in Dubai earlier today. It must have been caused by the power drain of your PC processing those 144 IQ180 images.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

144 is nothing compared to what I've got planned for this beauty