Site Sponsors
Page 185 of 386 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 235 285 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,250 of 19295

Thread: Fun with MF images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    ... 144 separate photos stitched together...
    I think there must be a meaning to the word "fun" that I am not aware of. Amazing image. Still, if I were going to have a 20-year career in photography, I think I would want to have more than five photos to show for it, no matter how large they are.

Post Thanks / Like

It may seem impressive, but these days it really isn't.

The shots were taken at around 5pm yesterday, and the full 4 gigapixel pano on the web in under 24 hours. I'm still very much in the practice mode shooting these with the Phase One. If I were to shoot something like this again, it could be online within probably 8 hours of the final photo being taken.

I know what I'm doing now. Just need to find some decent subject matter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    In fact my question was not very clear :
    Nik Software "Complete Collection - Lightroom Edition" is 299 €
    but Complete Collection (Lightroom + Photoshop) is 499 €

It seems that once it's done with Lightroom, I don't see the advantage to use Niksoft with photoshop (may be for sharpening or noise removing ?)
    Nik is for very fine editing of images, very fine control of sharpening at both capture and output stages as well as a bunch of tools and effects including film simulators, B&W conversions, many different HDR/Tone mapping tools, with very good local contrast adjustments.

Lightroom is a photo organising application which hooks up to Adobe's RAW processor. It tries to do editing but suffers from very poor sharpening, spot healing and noise control tools which do a tremendous amount of damage to images, as does it's clarity slider. Generally Adobe support new RAW formats quicker than anyone else.

Photoshop is a professional graphics package for manipulating raster images at a very low level. Performing CMYK separations, proofing and far too many things to go into detail

Post Thanks / Like

With emphasis very much on the "fun" in the thread title, a proof of concept...

Phase One AF, Mamiya 300mm f/2.8, IQ180. Shot at f/2.8 (107mm physical aperture). 144 separate photos stitched together with a bit of a crop afterwards. Result is a 4.4 gigapixel file, with a horizontal FoV roughly equivalent to a 22mm lens on full frame MF.

To get the same depth of field though, that lens would have to be an f/0.2.

Of course, given that this is not much more than 1% of the full size, I think a lot of the impact is missed. Here's a link to a full resolution version (requires Flash), but really I think it would need to be printed fairly large to get the full impression - it would print 28 feet wide at 300ppi:

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour
    What software did you use to stitch this image?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed - I use Kolor's Autopano Giga.

Kolor | Image stitching and virtual tour solutions

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed - I use Kolor's Autopano Giga.

Kolor | Image stitching and virtual tour solutions
    I took second place in their panobook contest, maybe they'll send me a copy.
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just completed loading CS6 upgrade and after a couple false starts, Nik Software (HDR Efex, Silver Efex Pro and Viveza 2). Wanted to kick the tires and ended up with this image from the last trip to Jackson Hole.

Lower Schwabacher Landing. Taken with a Phase One DF and P65+ back; Phase One 80mm lens. f/11 1/250 with ISO 50. The file was first opened in C1 Pro before sending it to CS6 where I dabbled in Nik Silver Efex ( EV-1, red filter and Iiford pan F Plus 50 film) The image was worked a little more before finishing.

All in all I don't think it's a bad start for CS6
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

Your stuff just blows me away. Amazing!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don,
    I just made the upgrade to CS6 also, but I have not had time to play. I hope I can have as much success as you! Beautiful work!!

Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the very kind words...

Don

Darr, only spent a couple hours on CS6 (most was spent trying to remember how to add Nik) however what little time I spent processing was interesting. There's some good stuff under the hood!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Decide where you spend the majority of your image manipulation and buy the version for that application. If you use LR for almost everything with just an occasional trip to PS then it would make sense just to get the LR edition. If you use LR just for raw conversion and image management but spend the majority of your time in PS then obviously that's the version to get.

I'm like Vincent and use several applications with PS being the common platform so under those situations it makes sense to get either a PS version of the suite or in my case the bundle since I also sometimes use Aperture too.
    I use Ligthroom 4 for raw conversion now (it's really good now) and to catalog my photos. When I'm happy with the result, I do the detail with Photoshop. As I have discovered Niksoft, now I use Nik when I do the raw conversion in Lightroom.

So, it seems I need a Niksoft version for both Lightroom & Photoshop (double the price )

Thanks everybody for the help !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Nik is for very fine editing of images, very fine control of sharpening at both capture and output stages as well as a bunch of tools and effects including film simulators, B&W conversions, many different HDR/Tone mapping tools, with very good local contrast adjustments.

Lightroom is a photo organising application which hooks up to Adobe's RAW processor. It tries to do editing but suffers from very poor sharpening, spot healing and noise control tools which do a tremendous amount of damage to images, as does it's clarity slider. Generally Adobe support new RAW formats quicker than anyone else.

Photoshop is a professional graphics package for manipulating raster images at a very low level. Performing CMYK separations, proofing and far too many things to go into detail
    Thanks.

So now, I'll do Lightroom - Niksoft (b&w conversion or color effect) - Photoshop - Nik (sharpening & noise)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Portrait Work

This as close as I ever like to doing actual portrait work. Phase One DF, Mamiya 300mm, f/8, 1/500 ISO100. This was taken November last year in Jackson Hole during a blowing snow storm. Processed using the new CS6 (still getting used to it) as well as Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Thank you all for the very kind words...

Don

Darr, only spent a couple hours on CS6 (most was spent trying to remember how to add Nik) however what little time I spent processing was interesting. There's some good stuff under the hood!
    Don:

I had been using CS4 and then downloaded the beta version of CS6 a few months ago; I think CS6 is well worth the upgrade, if for no other reason than ACR. Adobe now has an update to ACR that removes purple fringing and it appears to work very well.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    Thanks.

So now, I'll do Lightroom - Niksoft (b&w conversion or color effect) - Photoshop - Nik (sharpening & noise)
    Jerome, if you're considering Nik, this might help. For fine prints, I end up doing this:
    Lightroom or Capture One (no sharpening or clarity) -> Nik RAW Sharpener -> Nik (Silver Efex or Colour Efex or Viveza) -> Photoshop (touch ups such as dust spots etc, maybe a final levels).

Now I have a final image and I'll keep this file.

The remainder is disposable:

1. Sharpen a copy of the image and create a full size jpeg for web galleries, uploaded to zenfolio. Delete these files.

2. Perferct Resize (no sharpening) -> Nik Output Sharpener -> Photoshop for proofing, curves, test strips and final print.

For #2, I do keep them for a while (maybe a month) in case of re-work but 9/10 times I'll have to go back to the final image and start again anyway. The files are upwards of 1GB usually so they do not get archived.

Of course that's my own workflow for large format prints. The most important step is no sharpening or clarity in Lightroom before doing all the editing.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

San Luis Reservoir, CA
    Hasselblad H4D-40 with HC 150mm + 1.7 Teleconverter

Have a great weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

With emphasis very much on the "fun" in the thread title, a proof of concept...

Phase One AF, Mamiya 300mm f/2.8, IQ180. Shot at f/2.8 (107mm physical aperture). 144 separate photos stitched together with a bit of a crop afterwards. Result is a 4.4 gigapixel file, with a horizontal FoV roughly equivalent to a 22mm lens on full frame MF.

To get the same depth of field though, that lens would have to be an f/0.2.

Of course, given that this is not much more than 1% of the full size, I think a lot of the impact is missed. Here's a link to a full resolution version (requires Flash), but really I think it would need to be printed fairly large to get the full impression - it would print 28 feet wide at 300ppi:

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour
    What's amazing is how close I can get to the leaves from the tree and still has so much image integrity!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Just completed loading CS6 upgrade and after a couple false starts, Nik Software (HDR Efex, Silver Efex Pro and Viveza 2). Wanted to kick the tires and ended up with this image from the last trip to Jackson Hole.

Lower Schwabacher Landing. Taken with a Phase One DF and P65+ back; Phase One 80mm lens. f/11 1/250 with ISO 50. The file was first opened in C1 Pro before sending it to CS6 where I dabbled in Nik Silver Efex ( EV-1, red filter and Iiford pan F Plus 50 film) The image was worked a little more before finishing.

All in all I don't think it's a bad start for CS6
    This picture is truly amazing Don. Love it!!
    Thank you for sharing your work.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tioga Pass

On the learning curve with Coloreffect !

H4D50 HC 28
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Jerome, if you're considering Nik, this might help. For fine prints, I end up doing this:
    Lightroom or Capture One (no sharpening or clarity) -> Nik RAW Sharpener -> Nik (Silver Efex or Colour Efex or Viveza) -> Photoshop (touch ups such as dust spots etc, maybe a final levels).

Now I have a final image and I'll keep this file.

The remainder is disposable:

1. Sharpen a copy of the image and create a full size jpeg for web galleries, uploaded to zenfolio. Delete these files.

2. Perferct Resize (no sharpening) -> Nik Output Sharpener -> Photoshop for proofing, curves, test strips and final print.

For #2, I do keep them for a while (maybe a month) in case of re-work but 9/10 times I'll have to go back to the final image and start again anyway. The files are upwards of 1GB usually so they do not get archived.

Of course that's my own workflow for large format prints. The most important step is no sharpening or clarity in Lightroom before doing all the editing.
    Thanks for those precious informations !

NB : I ordered Nik software, but it went wrong : paid but no software delivered ! I hope tomorrow, they'll fix this ... and today : they are nice and efficient people : its all ok now !
    Last edited by jerome; 4th June 2012 at 13:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I always use a tripod when practical, having lost too many shots over the years to camera shake; but, having said that, the 645D is very handholdable. Here's a shot I posted in the 645D thread: Handheld 400mm ! FA lens @1/500 s, ISO 800. Crop of unsharpened RAW file (other than mild ACR); no PP
    Nice moment/shot .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    What's amazing is how close I can get to the leaves from the tree and still has so much image integrity!
    That's the beauty of multi-gigapixel images, although of course when you do zoom in that much, you can spot the stitching errors in this one (I did say it was only a test!)

I'm going to be running off a 2m x 5m print of this at the weekend to see what it looks like on the page.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the beauty of multi-gigapixel images, although of course when you do zoom in that much, you can spot the stitching errors in this one (I did say it was only a test!)

I'm going to be running off a 2m x 5m print of this at the weekend to see what it looks like on the page.
    What do you use to create your mosaics, if you don't mind my asking? For smaller composites (less than ten 80Mp images), I use Photoshop, as I find its blending/transformations much better than anything else. However, with very large composites, I customarily use Microsoft ICE.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    What do you use to create your mosaics, if you don't mind my asking? For smaller composites (less than ten 80Mp images), I use Photoshop, as I find its blending/transformations much better than anything else. However, with very large composites, I customarily use Microsoft ICE.
    Hi Gabe -

I use Kolor's Autopano Giga.

Regards,

Gerald.

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Summer.....
    Hasselblad H4D-40 80mm at f4
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On my way home from the studio today I was greeted with this sight... sun streaming through the clouds, the saw mill pumping water over the logs.. low cloud.. green trees... even after a 4 hour shoot photographing a bunch of wild kindergarten kids, and studio shoot with a teenager plus several hours editing loads of jobs (busy as .... right now) I just had to stop and get this...

Hand held with the H4D-31 and 80mm (waiting for my H4D-40 to come back from getting the sensor fixed after some idiot dropped it on the beach...)
    I have pumped it a bit in lightroom, mainly to try and convey what I saw and felt as I came around the corner in my little van... (that is my house on the left.. the yellow one)
    No landscape expert... just fun
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

like very much....

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perfectly Norway, Nathan. Maybe I should consider moving back
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

San Luis Reservoir, CA
    Hasselblad H4D-40 with HC 150mm + 1.7 Teleconverter

Have a great weekend!

Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Recycled Aluminium. Hasselblad H2D 50mm.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
    Recycled Aluminium. Hasselblad H2D 50mm.
    You know, I am pretty sure you could take a picture of a big lump of horse manure and make it look like art!
    I take my hat off to you!

Nathan.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Horse manure in, bullshit out. That's my day job. Forget the art part.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a blinding coincidence because I can take a photo of anything and it winds up looking like horse manure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was on-location covering the Concorso D'Eleganza della Vila D'Este...a premier vintage car show held annually in the Villa D'Este in the town of Cernobbio, Italy.

The winning car of the Jury Award and the Coppa Doro Best of Show, a 1933 Alfa Romeo 6c

A general view of the Concorso...3 panel stitch...major drool time for vintage car lovers...

See my blog for some pics of the magnificent cars in the event. All photographed with my H3D-39 and 50-110 lens.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post
    Loving this image - the soft repeated curves the warm yellows and a sky that has not been saturated up to the hilt. Very apealing.

Mal
    Thanks Mal & Vincent! It's very kind of you.
    Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sprague Lake
    Rocky Mountain National Park
    Estes Park, CO

Hasselblad H4D-40 and HCD 28mm

Happy shooting friends!

Pramote
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Summer is coming to Norway....
    H4D-31 50-110 @ 90 + evening sun...
    (still waiting for my 40 to come back from repair, but the 31 on loan to me has proved to be a very capable camera)

Post Thanks / Like

From a "konfirmant" fotoshoot yesterday... Here in Norway it is very traditional with confirmation and photographs to send out as thankyou cards and to have on the wall...
    I love it when I get a konfirmant that wants something different to the standard portraits... This young lady had seen some of my stuff on the dreaded but necessary facebook and her mum booked me Best advertising I DONT pay for

If this kinda shoot is not FUN then I dont know what is...

H4D-31 + 50-110 f16 1/800 second.... profoto lighting.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Filipino Day at the Office

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is an absolutely superb photo, Kurt!

Post Thanks / Like

So here's that 2m by 5m print. It came out very nicely.

Now to find some decent subject matter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That is an absolutely superb photo, Kurt!
    Thanks Jorgen.

Post Thanks / Like

DM22/zeiss 150 f4
    light from bowens

Post Thanks / Like

A job from today, work on a "fun thread" ? I hear you scream--- yes, but damn it my work is fun sometimes

Hasselblad H4D-40 + 80mm @f4 1/125 profoto and Arri lights mix here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    A job from today, work on a "fun thread" ? I hear you scream--- yes, but damn it my work is fun sometimes

Hasselblad H4D-40 + 80mm @f4 1/125 profoto and Arri lights mix here...

LOL It looks like something our local fire department cooked up at a recent benefit.
    -bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paolo d.j. View Post

DM22/zeiss 150 f4
    light from bowens
    Yes, that would fall in to the category of fun with MF digital.

Somehow shooting landscapes seems boring by comparison,
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Yes, that would fall in to the category of fun with MF digital.

Somehow shooting landscapes seems boring by comparison,
    Are you sure? Looks like a landscape to me, with hills, valleys, the lot and even some OOF foliage in the background
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy

Post Thanks / Like

So here's that 2m by 5m print. It came out very nicely.

Now to find some decent subject matter
    How much does it cost to make a print on such an epic scale? and WHERE?

Is there any way you can PM me more info on how this is done? I may not have an IQ180, but my P45+ holds up admirably in my opinion

I am a huge fan of landscape photography and here is a sample of my work:

Downtown Los Angeles by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Downtown Long Beach by RickrPhoto, on Flickr
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Are you sure? Looks like a landscape to me, with hills, valleys, the lot and even some OOF foliage in the background
    Absolutely. Thanks for keeping it real!
    Ylem ...