The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1958

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Woody. I did used a 3 stop ND and a polarizer to slow the shutter speed. In a couple of photos I used two 3 stop ND filters but I not in this one. Since moving to the hassey system, I find myself not wanting to use a polarizer as often for the skies. I think it is more helpful for slowing the shutter and/or reducing the reflection off water. In fact, I am using the graduated ND less often as well or at least starting to realize i do not need as often.

mark1958

Here is one more from a little farther back. None of these images were cropped... Just resized.

Dale Allyn

Mark,

Thanks for posting your fine images. I'm jealous of the greenery and clouds in the sky there in Snowmass. We're arid, smoky and cloudless here in the Sierra foothills.

I'm about to add more ND filters to my kit as those that I currently have are rather large (77mm and 82mm). Care to share which you have opted for with your Hasseblad kit? Using round threaded or square plates, etc? And is there a brand that you've had better luck with?

Cheers,

Dale

mark1958

I have been using the Lee 4x6 and 4x4 square filters. There is a Lee holder that connects via different adapter rings. I have a ring for each lens diameter. Moreover, you can get a holder on the front of the Lee holder that allows for a 105mm circular filter (e.g. polarizer). So one set for each. The only problem i have is that the 95mm adapter ring vignettes with the 28mm lens. I need to see if they make a special wide angle ring. I suspect the vignetting will be worse on the hassy 39 or 22.

Mark,

Thanks for posting your fine images. I'm jealous of the greenery and clouds in the sky there in Snowmass. We're arid, smoky and cloudless here in the Sierra foothills.

I'm about to add more ND filters to my kit as those that I currently have are rather large (77mm and 82mm). Care to share which you have opted for with your Hasseblad kit? Using round threaded or square plates, etc? And is there a brand that you've had better luck with?

Cheers,

Dale

Dale Allyn

Thank you, Mark. I have a holder as well, and was trying to decide if I wanted to get more adapter rings or just go with round filters in the sizes I don't have. I find advantages with both approaches and I appreciate you sharing what you're doing.

I don't have a 28mm, so don't currently face the vignetting issue you describe.

I'll probably order some adapter rings and save some money for now, rather than buying more threaded filters. I don't always carry my holder because of bulk, but I need to change that.

Thanks again.

I have been using the Lee 4x6 and 4x4 square filters. There is a Lee holder that connects via different adapter rings. I have a ring for each lens diameter. Moreover, you can get a holder on the front of the Lee holder that allows for a 105mm circular filter (e.g. polarizer). So one set for each. The only problem i have is that the 95mm adapter ring vignettes with the 28mm lens. I need to see if they make a special wide angle ring. I suspect the vignetting will be worse on the hassy 39 or 22.

mark1958

Dale in the end I find that you have less stuff with the adapter system. You have your square/rectangular filters and one circular polarizer and with the adapter rings you can use any combo with any lens. The 105mm CP is expensive though.

Thank you, Mark. I have a holder as well, and was trying to decide if I wanted to get more adapter rings or just go with round filters in the sizes I don't have. I find advantages with both approaches and I appreciate you sharing what you're doing.

I don't have a 28mm, so don't currently face the vignetting issue you describe.

I'll probably order some adapter rings and save some money for now, rather than buying more threaded filters. I don't always carry my holder because of bulk, but I need to change that.

Thanks again.

Dale Allyn

Mark, I'm sure you're right. I have been in the field with an incomplete filter set and, of course, wanted to use the only lens for which I had no filters.

I use CPL for controlling reflections on water mostly and haven't priced the 105mm of which you write. I may just schlep the CPLs I have and use them separately from the holder if I don't need to stack with NDs, etc. What I really need to do is to re-build my whole filter kit with better efficiency in mind. I currently have stuff from 58mm to 82mm in various flavors, together with a holder for Grad ND, etc. Probably time to rethink it.

Dale in the end I find that you have less stuff with the adapter system. You have your square/rectangular filters and one circular polarizer and with the adapter rings you can use any combo with any lens. The 105mm CP is expensive though.

David K

Workshop Member

Mark,
Those are spectacular captures... the best I've seen you post. Bravo !!

mark1958

David Thanks.. Perhaps it was worth almost getting killed to find this spot. Really horrible driving ---

rweissman

Re: Greetings from Colorado

What post-processing did you do?

These are wonderful images.

I am attending a meeting in Snowmass CO but have had a chance to get out and do some shooting with my Hasselblad. Both of these taken with H3DII-31 and 28mm lens

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

An image from last week while walking through Washington DC. This is with the out-dated 150/3.4 at f8. It's a shame it isn't sharp enough. ;)

Kurt

mark1958

Thanks... I converted the Hasselblad RAW images in Phocus. I turned off all sharpening. I do not believe I did much else in Phocus. I then opened in CS3. The did minor curves and had to clone the edges to get rid of the vignetting due to the filter ring. The only other thing I did was I had to lighten the mill structure a bit because it was too dark. In a separate layer I used a low opacity brush in overlay and painted over the structure to get the shadow detail to come out. Then I just sharpened the whole image. I could have done more selective sharpening. I really did not do too much to this image. I took the shot of the mill from many different angles and as many positions as I could. I wanted to go down to a lower level. Although some kids made it down the hill, I was less willing to chance the climb down. It had rained a bit and the soil was wet. I was also alone and quite far from a hospital.. :) or camera repair shop.

Here are a few more from the trip
What post-processing did you do?

These are wonderful images.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Very nice series Mark!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Nice shots Mark! I've been doing more mundane stuff, getting a sense of how the ZD back handles long exposures and late light. Here's one from Fort Funston tonight; 10 (or 8?) seconds, f/16. 210mm lens. I too use the Lee shades, except not for this particular shot; the sun had set since a while so didn't really need more than the built in, plus large shades tend to catch wind...

mark1958

Jack and Jan... thanks... Jan.. nice shot there. The one limitation of the hassy back is the limit of exposure time to to 32 seconds or so. So far not a problem for me..

JimCollum

Mamiya ZD using the IR Photo filter, and the Mamiya 35mm lens
Fall Creek, Felton, Ca.

KeithL

Jim, these were probably perfectly adequate woodland images until you employed the IR Photo Filter. Sorry, but I can't for the life of me see that IR brings anything at all to these images, in fact they simply look rather like poorly processed colour images.

More often than not less is more.

David K

Workshop Member

An image from last week while walking through Washington DC. This is with the out-dated 150/3.4 at f8. It's a shame it isn't sharp enough. ;)

Kurt
Kurt, I think it's an excellent capture. Composition is great and I like the way you caught the flag blowing in the wind. I do wrestle with that sharpness issue myself (even started a thread devoted to the question). If you didn't use a tripod that could certainly be a factor. I'd estimate I use a tripod over 90% of the time with MF and less than 10% with 35mm. I've even moved up to the Gitzo 5540LS (probably overkill) just to get every last bit of stability. Adding a little more pop to this image and converting to sRGB before posting can go a long way in making it look sharper.

Last edited:

JimCollum

Jim, these were probably perfectly adequate woodland images until you employed the IR Photo Filter. Sorry, but I can't for the life of me see that IR brings anything at all to these images, in fact they simply look rather like poorly processed colour images.

More often than not less is more.
By IR Photo Filter, i mean the the physical IR pass filter (it allows both visible and IR light to reach the ZD sensor).. so there's really very little post processing.

But you're right. I take this walk (about a 3-4 mile loop) 4 or 5 times a week. Sometimes I take a camera (ok.. most times :) .. and usually i just 'sketch' with it. The ones I posted were from a walk with the ZD capturing IR images.

I've take shots with the Aptus 75 & Horseman

(too much color for my taste.. i prefer more the look of faded color negatives :)

and the M8

so far, the M8 shots are my favorite, and i'm putting those together for a more comprehensive collection.

http://www.jcollum.com/fallcreek

This set isn't finished yet.. there are some that need to be edited out, as well as some more I've taken that need to be added.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you took the time to comment (I don't like those.. with a reason, is typically better than a blind 'nice pic')

KeithL

Hi Jim, yes, much prefer the M8 shot, captures and enhances the power of these wonderful ancient beasts.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.