Site Sponsors
Page 224 of 386 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 274 324 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,200 of 19262

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I"ll drink to that! The beer's on me!! My problem is my obsessive subject "Shed on a Hill" requires me to make a split second decision as I pass it by on the other side of a major highway, make a legal U-Turn just past it and then quickly built up speed to cut across two lanes of on-coming traffic and pull over into to off the side of the road dirt, up against (nearly) a guard rail.

More times than not, within 5 minutes (about the time I'm about to take the 1st shot), flashing red lights pull up right behind me, seriously inquiring what I'm doing. Most seem to understand (the obsession) to capture this scene and simply reply "be careful when pulling out later"...while others just shake their head and can't figure it out and probably thinking "it's just a old dilapidated shed siiting in the distance on some ragged rolling hill..what's he wasting his time for"...LOL

It's in the eye of the beholder but having an occasional pending storm hovering over the gentle rolling Blue Ridge Mountain range sitting in the background of this shed, certainly doesn't hurt . Talk about a pending storm...I'm getting a late start here this morning and we at the moment are having a small snow storm of about 1-2 inches at the moment....hmmm.....time for a quick jump in the car prior to work and prepare to make that U-turn! . See you at the tavern...afterwards! (If I don't show, maybe someone will bail me out...LOL!).

I'm sure most of us have our own stories about the great lengths we go to shoot and document our own Personal Obsessive Subjects. I'd hate to use the abreviation "POS" for this syndrome, but can't think of what other acronym to use!

Dave (D&A)
    Dont get me started about the fact that at least 50% of all interesting views I see is seen from different highways
    But, as much as I like nature in fog, we better be careful on the highway.
    Or else: Bildspel från Tranarpsbron - hd.se
    The theory now is it all started because two cars did stop on the bridge in the fog.
    And then drove away...

But I truly understands your obsession with your "shed on a hill"
    I was starting to develop some thing similar about an old shed on a field some years ago.
    The picture below was taken the second time I did pass this shed.
    The first time I did not have a camera with me

But the third time I did have all my equipment with me.
    Then it was my plan to take a nice photo of the shed in all the snow that had fallen the days before.
    But when I arrived at the field, the shed was just a heap of old wood. It had fallen down below all the snow.
    I was so disappointed that I just drove to my final destination.
    But today I can kick my self for not stoping and take a photo of the "ruin".

But now, time for the tavern

Ray

Mamiya 6, 150mm, some old Kodak portra

Last edited by Grayhand; 8th February 2013 at 13:04. Reason: Spelling, as always ..
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like seeing your work end up in its final place, on a wall or in print in a magazine.. so I love it when a customer lets me know when its in print...

KK this week, Probably Norway's biggest womens magazine

Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Nathan W. Lediard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And here is the file, H4D-40 80mm at f3.4 all beautiful natural norwegian light and a just as beautiful norwegian model... It can be as easy as that at work sometimes... no lugging pelicases full of heavy profoto gear... love it

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe:
    nice work at death valley, one of my favorite spots. i think it was exactly a year ago, same full moon, we were there for the getdpi workshop.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan W. Lediard View Post
    And here is the file, H4D-40 80mm at f3.4 all beautiful natural norwegian light and a just as beautiful norwegian model... It can be as easy as that at work sometimes... no lugging pelicases full of heavy profoto gear... love it
    That's what I keep trying to tell those people from southern, warm places, snow is just such great fill.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Joe, that is not even the storm. We have a blizzard forecast which are winds of 35mph or greater. Right now it is a gentle winter flurry. Any one want to help me dig out tomorrow?
    Wouldn't mind getting a little extra exercise. I was in Boston for the famous Blizzard of 78'. Now that was a strom, although I know many other have probably experienced somethings similar. Still it holds up a a legendary snowstorm here is the States. Best shot was from a helicopter showing the beltway days later with thousand and thousands of abandoned cars that were already in a rush hour standstill and thats how they remained for close to 1 1/2 weeks. What fun it was taking shuttle buses to find ones car over miles of territory. Most couldn't see or even know where they were when they left their cars that night.

Take care Shashin and hope to see some good winter weather pics. I ran out this morning when we got our massive 1/2" of snow flurries, in order to capture my favoirte local subject . Once I dig out, I'll be right there to help dig you out!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th February 2013 at 06:29.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    Dont get me started about the fact that at least 50% of all interesting views I see is seen from different highways
    But, as much as I like nature in fog, we better be careful on the highway.
    Or else: Bildspel från Tranarpsbron - hd.se
    The theory now is it all started because two cars did stop on the bridge in the fog.
    And then drove away...

But I truly understands your obsession with your "shed on a hill"
    I was starting to develop some thing similar about an old shed on a field some years ago.
    The picture below was taken the second time I did pass this shed.
    The first time I did not have a camera with me

But the third time I did have all my equipment with me.
    Then it was my plan to take a nice photo of the shed in all the snow that had fallen the days before.
    But when I arrived at the field, the shed was just a heap of old wood. It had fallen down below all the snow.
    I was so disappointed that I just drove to my final destination.
    But today I can kick my self for not stoping and take a photo of the "ruin".

But now, time for the tavern

Ray

Mamiya 6, 150mm, some old Kodak portra

Ray great story and I can't count the times I passed something that I just knew would make a great image...only to not have my equipment with me. Next trip around, it was either gone, moved, or simply wasn't the right light.

As for my "Shed on the Hill", I got there with just approx 1/2" of snow, if that...and for the first time, the owner of the land must have finally had the chance to send someone over towards me see what I was doing. It was his son, nephew etc. who was probably home from school that was cancelled (yes cancelled with 1/2 inch snow on the ground)... riding a dirt motor bike back and forth criss-crossing through my "framinging" area repeatedly. When he saw all I was doing was taking photographs, he waved and I waved back and off he went . I'm sure the owner has seen others stop (and I occasionally do) at the same spot to a quick snap.

Funny thing is this shed looked weather worn for so many years with the cows meandering up to it (must be a feed shed). It look photographically good that way. After approx. a decade, I guess the owner felt it needed a new coat of pain and so just a few weeks ago repainted in in a newly looking off shade of red. Darn, the shed now looks too new and completely altered it's lovely weathered look. Now why did he go and do something like that....LOL!

Anyhow, I have a different smaller secondary small shed that I can photograph up close and looks very much like a carbon copy of the one you pictured. I too find it looks best when it snows...either that or when some yellow wild flowers grow besides it. Everyone has their favorite "local" photographic subject, that just begs to be photographed each time the look of the scene surrounding it changes, not to mention the lighting and change of seasons.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th February 2013 at 06:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cades Cove last weekend. Joe, you will recognize these locations. Both with Leica S2 and 70mm.

Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    That's what I keep trying to tell those people from southern, warm places, snow is just such great fill.
    Funny thing is, I keep relaying stories how interesting it often is to stumble upon some unexpected subject and jumping out of the car to photograph it....but never have I encounted a subject standing in the middle of the road quite like this Nice work Nathan!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Cades Cove last weekend. Joe, you will recognize these locations. Both with Leica S2 and 70mm.
    Lovely Mark.... both look great in the snow, especially the dusting of snow in the second image. I should just jump in my car

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th February 2013 at 07:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely Mark.... both looks great in the snow, especially the dusting in the second image. I should just jump in my car

Dave (D&A)
    Dave,

As you know, it is worth the trip if you are fortunate enough to catch favorable conditions. Let me know next time you head down and we can meet up.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

As you know, it is worth the trip if you are fortunate enough to catch favorable conditions. Let me know next time you head down and we can meet up.
    At the moment no specific plans to head down that way, but if you (or someone) can tell the weather person to hold that weather (and snow)....just like you photographed, the thought to just jump in the car would definitely cross my mind! Guess I'm partial to seasonal scenes like yours and the visual nature of the subject matter goes hand in hand with newly fallen snow. At least thats my vision of this scene.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th February 2013 at 07:12.

Post Thanks / Like

As a period piece (photograph), she looks like she just walked off the set of Les Miserables. I say that fully as a complement to both the photographer and model. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)
    Thank you Dave, I will tell her!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Not sure it works, noticed it on the other picture as well. Not sure why, I'm a one eye in focus wide open shooter by nature but here, perhaps due to the lighting, or the contrast, seems rather out of place.
    Thank you Ben, yes I don't know what it is. Maybe is the angle to flat. Have a nice weekend! rem

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    Thanks Pramote and Joe for your kind words.
    You are both inspiring photographer to me

Ray
    Thanks Ray! I really appreciate this coming from you. Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark, yes I do recognize those locations and the tripod holes. But I've never used those tripod holes with snow on the ground. Well done. Maybe we can shoot together sometime.

Joe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, do I smell a winter road trip on the (near) horizon? Isn't that snow lovely, especially in that particular locale? As for tripod holes, you mean the ones you used after I firmly planted my tripod to get the perfect shot (only to be topped shortly thereafter by your superb image making skills?)...LOL! I was wondering how my tripod got moved when I turned around for only a second...

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th February 2013 at 11:36.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, we are at 20+" of snowfall and the blizzard has not stopped. Here are the locals feeding at our bird feeders. It is amazing that an animal so small can survive sub-freezing temperatures. With wind chill, we are -7F. I need more than sunflower seeds--a pizza at least. Pentax 645D, 300mm f/5.6, ISO 1600, MF, handheld, and through a window (you did not think I would leave the house!).

Last edited by Shashin; 9th February 2013 at 12:15.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Love the symmetry as well opposing colors of blue and yellow feeders on an approx 45 degree angle. The birds though complete the image...nice capture! One question though... when you stated>> "need more than sunflower seeds--a pizza at least"<<, were you refering to what the birds might have been thinking or for yourself?

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One question though... when you stated>> "need more than sunflower seeds--a pizza at least"<<, were you refering to what the birds might have been thinking or for yourself?

Dave (D&A)
    Exactly.

BTW, the blue/yellow bird feeders are really showing they were picked out by a photographer.
    Last edited by Shashin; 9th February 2013 at 15:03.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, I am just having fun with MF. Same as above, but of my trees, far, far away. Blizzard lighting is actually quite tricky. In reality, the scene is very flat.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I truly believe I've got the best of both worlds in having a tech cam and 645 body. The days I want to channel "old school" photographer I use the tech cam on other days when I'm just out for fun and want to see what the new day brings I use the 645 body. The one item that doesn't change is the IQ160.

We had a storm come through yesterday leaving a light dusting of snow in the desert. The sky remains ominous which resulted in a couple of hours of fun.

Phase DF/IQ160 55mm LS f/11 1/400 ISO50

Phase DF/IQ160 150mm f/11 1/160 ISO 50

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Mark, yes I do recognize those locations and the tripod holes. But I've never used those tripod holes with snow on the ground. Well done. Maybe we can shoot together sometime.

Joe
    Joe, it would be great to meet up for some photography in the Smoky Mountains. I try to go as often as my work schedule will allow. Dave has also expressed an interest. I can't do much about the weather other than watch for favorable predictions and take a chance like I did last weekend. It paid off then, but there have been many more where it didn't.

Your photos of DV are great. I have never been, but it is on the list.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Got back to Australia today from a business trip to the US - and this happened:

[IMG]
    _IGP4839Step8CurvesSMALL by eduardotunnel4, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _IGP4831Step8CurvesSMALL by eduardotunnel4, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, the only word that first comes to mind is WOW...the second is WOW Again!!!

Talk about statci electricity...LOL! Mother nature was a bit angry upon your return
    Fanatstic city scape capture and one definitely for the "wall". The 2nd on is the one I'd go with and am pondering for a moment if it might be a stronger composition if some of the lower portion of the frame was cropped. just above the top of the foreground lampost. I'm honestly not sure if that stengthens the impact of the image or not. Anyway you cut it (no pun intended), it's impressive!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Swedish small town fishing harbour.

Hasselblad H4D-50 | HC 2,8/80 | f6,8 | 1/180s | iso 100
    http://www.bildifokus.se
    Follow me on Facebook
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mechanical Waterfalls...

Matías Antoniassi
    www.matantoniassi.com
    www.facebook.com/matantoniassi
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd one more from yesterday...

Phase DF/IQ160 55mm LS f/11 1/250 ISO50
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On my way back home from a business trip: Had my H4D-40 and the 50-110 at hand, entered a waste bin and ...

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stan, we will make a landscape photographer of you yet. Who wants to be confined to a warm and comfortable studio with beautiful models all day when you can enjoy all kinds of weather doing this?

Post Thanks / Like

Oooops - Relapse into the warm studio:

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good response Stan - very compelling counter-argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave! Earlier in the evening, I had been down by the waterfront, which allows a better composition on the city and bridge, but also means you are totally exposed to the rain/wind, making it impossible to keep the front of the lens clear for the shot. These were taken from my flat's balcony, which at least offered some shelter (i.e. I only had to dry the lens front once every 5 shots instead of after every 1!).

As for the crop, I too had been pondering that. The problem with cropping just over the street light is it cuts off the bottom of the bridge - which felt unbalanced. Once you get the bridge wholly in, then you get the street light tops - then I felt I had to include the lamp posts too so they didn't hang there. Maybe the answer is to crop with the bridge just included them lose the part-lamps in post... Food for thought!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, that is some flash you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I think right now I am preferring Stan's "flash" ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This should help you get the drift of what I have been doing today. The end of the shadow of the chimnella, which is on a cast iron stand, ends on bare ground. Drifting was quite intense. In some whys it leveled my garden--filled up the 5' depressions very well. Harder to walk on in others.

Last edited by Shashin; 10th February 2013 at 18:00.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another from today--more fun than shoveling the driveway (pls see my ad in the for sale section).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last one. Now back to shoveling.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Thanks Dave! Earlier in the evening, I had been down by the waterfront, which allows a better composition on the city and bridge, but also means you are totally exposed to the rain/wind, making it impossible to keep the front of the lens clear for the shot. These were taken from my flat's balcony, which at least offered some shelter (i.e. I only had to dry the lens front once every 5 shots instead of after every 1!).

As for the crop, I too had been pondering that. The problem with cropping just over the street light is it cuts off the bottom of the bridge - which felt unbalanced. Once you get the bridge wholly in, then you get the street light tops - then I felt I had to include the lamp posts too so they didn't hang there. Maybe the answer is to crop with the bridge just included them lose the part-lamps in post... Food for thought!
    Ed, I ran into the same issue when I contemplated a crop of your image. Either the lamposts had to remain intact or totally gone (but then bottom of bridge cut off as you describe). Guess in my mind, leaving only the tops fo the streetlamps looks kind of funny.

Final alternative is to scap the whole thing and wait in that location till they repeat the show...LOL!

Wow, you were in the States? Don't tell me near my neck of the woods? We could have cornered the market on east coast 645D's which would have included Shashin's and I'm sure a few others. Maybe the largest concentration these Pentax's in the Western Hemisphere at one time...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    Oooops - Relapse into the warm studio:

Stan, there is a lot of distortion from the looks of this image. Just look at all the curvature!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Snow. We've had a lot of it. Leica S + 35mm.

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More snow. Same kit.

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mas. Same.

woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Death Valley with the Leica S

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

Moonset at sunrise.

Joe,
    Very impressive and nice Capture.
    Best,
    _______
    Manouch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I wasn't anywhere near the delightfully snowy east coast. Business trip to Nebraska - nothing to do with photography... And, no, the 645D didn't make the trip with me sadly.

However, if I am ever in your neck of the woods (or if you are ever in mine), we'll have to get together and compare notes. And Shashin of course should come along too ;-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Dave, I wasn't anywhere near the delightfully snowy east coast. Business trip to Nebraska - nothing to do with photography... And, no, the 645D didn't make the trip with me sadly.

However, if I am ever in your neck of the woods (or if you are ever in mine), we'll have to get together and compare notes. And Shashin of course should come along too ;-)
    Sounds like a wonderful plan to me! Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Have been sorting out my archives, reprocessed this for printing. From almost 2 years ago on a DM33:

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember, if I posted this photo here.
    Hasselblad H4D-40 with 100mm lens.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boeing 737-800 simulator Hall, Lyon, France :

click for bigger

Matías Antoniassi
    www.matantoniassi.com
    www.facebook.com/matantoniassi
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post