The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Exactly! Bottom line is my point was everything needs to be proper alignment: from the back sensor positioning itself, through the back mounting flange, through any sliding back front and rear mounting flanges, through the camera body mounting flange and focus screen parallelism -- and getting all of those to be held within the tiny tolerances required is a non-trivial task.

thomas

Exactly! Bottom line is my point was everything needs to be proper alignment: from the back sensor positioning itself, through the back mounting flange, through any sliding back front and rear mounting flanges, through the camera body mounting flange and focus screen parallelism -- and getting all of those to be held within the tiny tolerances required is a non-trivial task.
100% agree!
As you were talking about a sliding I mentioned the arTec were the entire rear plate is one piece. So bascially it's not an additional piece that has to match - if there is something off, it's "just" a matter of alignement of the GG or the sensor... as it is with all the other tech cameras.
It's by design completely different from a separate detachble/attachable sliding back.

baxter

This was an idea I came up with between showers at Porth Nanven in Cornwall. I was learning how to drive the Linhof Techno with my P45+ back (this shot using Super-Symmar 110XL) and wanted to put the movements through their paces. I wanted to try to make the seaweed 'float' above a blank background. Thus I set the plane of focus above the sand, necessitating swing and tilt (and swearing) to do so due to the diagonally sloping beach. Because the GG is comparatively so small to 5x4, I shot at several apertures to give a range of focus bands, I think this one is f8.

Don Libby

This was an idea I came up with between showers at Porth Nanven in Cornwall. I was learning how to drive the Linhof Techno with my P45+ back (this shot using Super-Symmar 110XL) and wanted to put the movements through their paces. I wanted to try to make the seaweed 'float' above a blank background. Thus I set the plane of focus above the sand, necessitating swing and tilt (and swearing) to do so due to the diagonally sloping beach. Because the GG is comparatively so small to 5x4, I shot at several apertures to give a range of focus bands, I think this one is f8.
Very nice. I'll admit I needed to read your description of the shot as my first thought was the images was of a spinal cord!

Don

Mike M

First field trip with my new Alpa setup. Nothing spectacular, but a couple of nice things. I enjoyed the experience and challenge of using the system, and was really pleased with the sharpness of the files even into the corners.

Alpa 12max, Schneider 47mm XL, PhaseOne p65+
I hope that nobody minds if I quote this again...Great shot Wayne and thanks for sharing :)

etrump

Odille, Great lighthouse image. The sky works so nicely to bring attention to the fantastic side lighting on the lighthouse. Kudos!

Ed

Teager

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking and learning for awhile, such a great site. This is my first attempt at using Helicon Focus, this is a 3 panel stitch that is made up of 5 images each for the wings and 7 images of the main body that I then stitched in CS5. I shot this using a H3DII-31 with the HC 120 macro.

B

Bob Davis

Tight fit for a tour bus in a tunnel.

Phase 1 P65 handheld, ISO 200, 1/350, f5.6, 45mm.

Don Libby

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking and learning for awhile, such a great site. This is my first attempt at using Helicon Focus, this is a 3 panel stitch that is made up of 5 images each for the wings and 7 images of the main body that I then stitched in CS5. I shot this using a H3DII-31 with the HC 120 macro.
Welcome to GetDpi. That's one heck of an image! :thumbup:

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

A few from the Canadian Shield around Georgian Bay. In order, 55 mm LS, 150 mm D, 80 mm LS - the only three lenses I used all weeK!

The last one is a compilation using Helicon Focus but here it looks a little TOO sharp!

fotografz

A few from the annual "Woodward Dream Cruise". Rather than the stuff I usually post from this event each year, I've also uploaded a few fun image in the spirit of the day.

The Cruise day was overcast, and it started raining about an hour into my time there, so I cut it short. My main objective was to "test drive" a new H/C 35-90 ... plus, I also took the HC 300 tele to see how it workred on the H4D/40 with the improved focusing.

Most shots done on a mono-pod @ ISO 400 and 800.

The HC 35-90 is awesome ... (I already knew the 300 was optically great) ... what was fab to find out was how fast and accurate the H4D/40 focused the 300mm even on moving subjects. In past I had used a Zeiss 350/4 and missed quite a few shots trying to focus on the moving hot rods ... with the HC 300 I missed very few times. Bodes well for expanded use of the MFD kit for things I might have done with a 35mm DSLR.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice series Marc! We have a small cabin on a smaller lake in the Sierras, and one property owner has one of those little boat-cars (car-boats?). Anyway it is a kick to see it buzzing its way around the lake, driver and passengers enjoying their evening cocktails!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The last one is a compilation using Helicon Focus but here it looks a little TOO sharp!
Very nice series Bill!

Re sharpening: One thing I have noticed, especially with the P65+ and good glass, is that I typically do not need any further process sharpening. IOW, I do capture sharpen (lightly) during conversion in C1, but then have basically stopped doing process sharpening in CS. I will do a touch of output sharpening as required based on output and size. For web, this is usually stepped down-sizing in CS at 50% increments, using bi-cubic sharper on the first two only, then plain bicubic afterward to target size. So far seems to be working quite well for me.

kdphotography

First field trip with my new Alpa setup. Nothing spectacular, but a couple of nice things. I enjoyed the experience and challenge of using the system, and was really pleased with the sharpness of the files even into the corners.

Alpa 12max, Schneider 47mm XL, PhaseOne p65+
Really gorgeous image, Wayne! :) ken

etrump

Very nice series Bill!

Re sharpening: One thing I have noticed, especially with the P65+ and good glass, is that I typically do not need any further process sharpening. IOW, I do capture sharpen (lightly) during conversion in C1, but then have basically stopped doing process sharpening in CS. I will do a touch of output sharpening as required based on output and size. For web, this is usually stepped down-sizing in CS at 50% increments, using bi-cubic sharper on the first two only, then plain bicubic afterward to target size. So far seems to be working quite well for me.
I second Jack's assessment on sharpening with the P65+. I have found the best results with zero sharpening and NR in C1, noise reduction if needed with Topaz Labs DeNoise 5 (excellent), and no sharpening until output.

My comparisons lead me to conclude that the P65+ properly processed is at least as sharp when comparing large prints to 5x7 and 90% of the 8x10 stuff I have seen. Since I do a lot of panoramic images I am feeling better off with a single P65+ capture than 6x17 images I have seen in large prints.

Especially with the Schneider 35mm XL, I can easily print a single capture at my maximum print size of 120". Usually with no sharpening or .2/180 unsharp mask. When printing that large, the digital noise of sharpening has more impact than no sharpening at all.

Using my previous method of capture/raw sharpening and NR in C1 with output sharpening just didn't stand up to large prints.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned is the output scaling in C1 is incredibly good compared to bicubic modes in PS5 and all other enlargement software I have tested.

Now if I could just find some really good C1 profiles to emulate popular landscape films (velvia especially) it would make my life a lot easier.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
On the P40+ i use in C1 presharpen 1 and pretty much call it a day. It's very slight and I also backed off from clarity like I did with the P30+ since this back seems much better without the micro lenses which on the P30+ I used clarity to punch the mid tones. But as far as CS5 I do no sharpening there unless i really want to push it in large prints on my 7900 but that is a rare moment. I'm after look more than sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.