Site Sponsors
Page 23 of 386 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 19259

Thread: Fun with MF images

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Trying a few tricks here for effect
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    So, I guess she prefers the M8.2? I will find out sometime what my daughter prefers (right now she is just 11 weeks old, and knows the sound of the M8), but the 54LV is still some time away for me. Maybe once I am moved (looking for a new apartment), it will be time to look at it again.
    I get more attention from her if I use a loud and big camera.
    cheers, tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just playing around with some P25 images and trying a few things in C1.
    This looks like a launch pad for Evil Kneivel <grin>

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jumping off the deep end on this one but kind of interesting. All done in C1 with only noise added in CS4
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

You know Guy, I have to say that I much prefer your images from your P25+ compared to the pre-production P65+. They have a sense of relaxed tonal transitions that just give me a visceral feeling of "ahhhhhhhhhhhh..." The examples from the P65+ always left me feeling a little on edge so-to-speak. Yes the resolution is phenomenal, but the relaxed IQ from the 9 micron pixel backs is still pretty compelling. I keep going back and forth between wanting a higher mp back (33-39) for the larger printing capabilities without uprezzing, vs. the very natural IQ of the 22 mp backs.

Do you ever uprez any of your P1 files for larger prints? If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks!!

Oh, I really do like your experiment with the door; the vignetting and graininess from the added noise strikes a really interesting mood.
    Last edited by Jeff Turner; 6th December 2008 at 19:03. Reason: adding more thoughts
    Jeff T.
    Jeff Turner's Emerging Light Photography
    http://www.EmergingLightPhotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jeff. Interesting comment and something Jack and i have been talking about. There is something about the P25 9 micron sensor that I really like and as Jack described it , I think maybe the best description of it. Here is what we wrote to LJ saying the same thing.
    Jack thinks it has something to do with inter-pixel contrast and total dynamic range. Which in effect is clarity and Jack has noticed that if he pumps up the clarity on the P45 by about 10 or 15 points and adds a little contrast ( which takes away from total dynamic range he gets a similar look) But the hard fact is the 9 micron is friendlier to most MF lenses and he thinks that is what the issue is.

I agree with his comments on this. There is something the P25 does with the clarity from the 9 micron sensor that I don't see in the 39 and 31 sensors. Simply put it has bite to the files. I tend to think this is the difference between 9 micron sensors VS the small Micron sensors.

When I do uprez i actually do that in C1 to the Raw. Many times I will go 125 percent in C1 for the larger files size than if i need more than Cs4. But i do start that process in C1 which i think it is better to uprez at the time of processing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd also echo the comment that choice of lenses seems to matter with MFDBs. Great glass can be the equalizer ... we've seen what it can do on a variety of sensors. As an example, I was able to use a Mamiya 300/2.8 Apo lens on the P45+ several week's ago. When I look back at those images and compare them with shots taken with other Mamiya lenses, I can easily pull out the 300mm images in a line-up taken with that lens in comparison to other lenses. There is a richness in color and depth that is striking.

Kurt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jeff. Interesting comment and something Jack and i have been talking about. There is something about the P25 9 micron sensor that I really like and as Jack described it , I think maybe the best description of it. Here is what we wrote to LJ saying the same thing.
    Jack thinks it has something to do with inter-pixel contrast and total dynamic range. Which in effect is clarity and Jack has noticed that if he pumps up the clarity on the P45 by about 10 or 15 points and adds a little contrast ( which takes away from total dynamic range he gets a similar look) But the hard fact is the 9 micron is friendlier to most MF lenses and he thinks that is what the issue is.

I agree with his comments on this. There is something the P25 does with the clarity from the 9 micron sensor that I don't see in the 39 and 31 sensors. Simply put it has bite to the files. I tend to think this is the difference between 9 micron sensors VS the small Micron sensors.

When I do uprez i actually do that in C1 to the Raw. Many times I will go 125 percent in C1 for the larger files size than if i need more than Cs4. But i do start that process in C1 which i think it is better to uprez at the time of processing.
    I still love stuff from the 16 meg CFV ... even cropped it does fine ... here's one done this weekend in the early AM as it started to snow. I went to the Franklin common near our home where we spend time during warm summer days ... to capture a pictorial view in Winter for a Calendar project depicting our little town.

503CW with Zeiss 350/5.6CF:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some dorking around with the 120 Macro. These are off the P45+, full image first then a crop. Maybe some camera movement or not perfectly focused OR too far from the lens center of field, but still kind of neat :
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy and Jack, have you messed around with RAW developer? After using C1 as my primary, I decided to test out RD since I had heard that it will apparently extract a bit more detail than C1....turns out it does, RD has 4 different sharpening algorithms and I found their Richardson-Lucy Deconvolution option to be the best for sharpening without those annoying white halos appearing over the edges. I did notice a bit more CA appearing in the files when viewed at 100%, will have to do some more experimenting though. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, I took these shots in Times Square Monday night in the brisk 28 degree weather. I love going out there and candidly shooting the flow of chaos that it is; tourists, cabs, cops and bilboards. In one of these pics, you will see a confused tourist just happened to wander into my frame as I was shooting off, he actually made the photo

enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice, Justin.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Justin I have not tried it since I got my Phase stuff but it is a great raw developer but I found the workflow slow. Not sure if the interface had changed since than but it did do a nice job on the M8 files . Chuck Jones a good friend and member is like a junkie too it. Cool shots BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here Jack is your retirement kitchen and bath on the house I picked out for ya. Really busted my butt on these, my brain was not working at full speed and man that just slow's you down. Some airbrushing left to do so this maybe not so fun but real work. Hate that.

Mamiya 28mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need a sunset in that window. I replaced 8 glass blocks already because of highlights i could not get rid of. 4 lights in each shot and 1 Elinchrom mono went down on me ,maybe flash tube blew. Turned it on and small amount of smoke,not promising.

Kitchen 4 different types of light daylight, tungsten, flash and florescent . OUCH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Faster shutter speed here and cut down the florescent some

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, is that the 28m? Looks good.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it is , nice lens too. I really like it even though some softness in the corners sometimes but with that little corner sharpness trick it helps it some. Certainly the least expensive way to get wide is the Hassy 28mm and Mamiya 28mm every other solution to this is a tech camera or not necessarily your most popular primary camera and it gets expensive, I can't just have a tech camera the normal camera types is what i have to have for other work as well. Heck i would love a tech camera too but I need to justify that costs with the amount of use and those numbers don't completely add up , so for me this works . Plus i use this for all sorts of shooting and a tech camera get's too bulky or slow sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

4 lights in each shot and 1 Elinchrom mono went down on me ,maybe flash tube blew. Turned it on and small amount of smoke,not promising.
    I feel your pain man. When I first got here, I turned on my flash (they are 100-240V, 50-60hz), and expected everything to be fine. It seemed like the modeling light was kind of bright though, as I only had the flash on a low setting, and it was on proportional, I pressed "full" to turn it on to full power (very dumb), and BOOM, the light blows out. Luckily it did not explode. It turns out that while the flash works fine on international power, you need to replace the modeling light. I suppose I should have RTFM...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking to the missus now... She says we're at least three years away from that move (), but I'm trying to convince her we need to buy in now while the getting is good
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't posted in a while... But here's a cliche. I like it myself though.

For those who care... ZD back, 55mm AF lens, f/5.6, 30s exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan, that is an AWESOME capture!!!
    Jack

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I haven't posted in a while... But here's a cliche. I like it myself though.

For those who care... ZD back, 55mm AF lens, f/5.6, 30s exposure.
    I think that you have raised the bar for that "cliche".

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sell that to the San Francisco visitors travel guides.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful image, Jan. Thanks for posting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The parade has started through my little home studio.
    Any idea how hard it is to get everyone looking in the same direction?
    Attachment 9982
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need a few thingamajigs hanging on the wall behind you that they all look at. Obviously the babies are tough, so you improvise with sounds like a music box or a squeaker toy
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    This is the best that we could do. Cynthia was standing right next to me doing her best with all sorts of things.
    The hardest part was keeping the older kid's fingers out of his nose.
    Actually, they were happy with the result so I am too.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you... Too bad Dad wasn't looking at you though. With babies, I usually tell the adults and older children to keep looking right at the lens since I will have to fire when the baby looks my way. Usually I get mom and dad looking at me, the older kids and baby the dice toss...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have several with the adults looking square at me, but with the kids looking off somewhere else.
    I thought the best shot had everyone in place except that the baby was squirming a bit, but this one was their pick.
    These were shot tethered with a 23" LCD turned so that they could see each shot. The setup worked really well, and was one of the few times that C1 did not spontaneously go south on me. Acvtually it might have looked too easy :-)
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We’re currently at the South Rim staying in a cabin at the Bright Angel Lodge. Got here late yesterday afternoon and woke to 11 degrees and slightly blowing snow by the afternoon we warmed up to 23 and snow with zero visibility; they’re calling for 8 to 12” of snow tomorrow.

This image was taken at Hopi Point this morning just as the clouds started covering the entire area. More tomorrow (with any luck). We’re here till Wednesday then heading over to Furnace Creek, Death Valley.

BTY, Cambo RS 1000 35mm lens P45+

Enjoy!

Don

Yeah it’s colder than all get out here!

Jan – One word – awesome image! Okay 2 words..
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, that looks pretty darn cold. And wet. And dark. I like the way you managed to convey this. I also really like the dark earthy, wet, desert appearance.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This was with the 40mm Schneider on the Hy6.
    For some reason downsizing the image seemed to destroy some detail and I might have oversharpened a bit?
    Dont know if its worth posting but I do anyways

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom for the web only do very light capture sharpening. Jacks web converter is also very handy that you can buy here. Contact Jack on that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another thing to do if you are using photoshop is to make sure your intended size is a divisor of the original file size...that way it can get rid of pixels evenly. So if the original file size was 4000x3000, then 800x600 etc. It could be my imagination, but when doing it that way they seem to look better to me. And only sharpen once you are at the small size. I don't capture sharpen unless I am planning on printing.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Contax 645 with Sinarback 54M

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

this is with less sharpening.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post

We’re currently at the South Rim staying in a cabin at the Bright Angel Lodge. Got here late yesterday afternoon and woke to 11 degrees and slightly blowing snow by the afternoon we warmed up to 23 and snow with zero visibility; they’re calling for 8 to 12” of snow tomorrow.

This image was taken at Hopi Point this morning just as the clouds started covering the entire area. More tomorrow (with any luck). We’re here till Wednesday then heading over to Furnace Creek, Death Valley.

BTY, Cambo RS 1000 35mm lens P45+

Enjoy!

Don

Yeah it’s colder than all get out here!

Jan – One word – awesome image! Okay 2 words..
    What an amazing place Don, thanks for sharing with this incredible shot, enjoy the moment!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jan and David for the kind words.

Took this at Bright Angel Overlook stacking three images at various focal lengths. We got about 12” snow last night with more coming; decided not to go to Death Valley and extending our stay here instead. Cambo RS 1000 35mm lens and P45+ back.

Enjoy!

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, This stacked shot from Bright Angel Overlook is breathtaking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, I like that indeed,
    Did you use Helicon of PS or something else in the stacking?
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Evgeny, I really like your shot. Reminds me a bit of both Bond and Kill Bill.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Evgeny, I really like your shot. Reminds me a bit of both Bond and Kill Bill.
    Thank

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Don, This stacked shot from Bright Angel Overlook is breathtaking!
    Thanks Cindy. I’ve been snooping at your images over on the “Other Cameras” great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Don, I like that indeed,
    Did you use Helicon of PS or something else in the stacking?
    thanks
    -bob
    Thanks Bob. The original intent was 3 separate images each with a slightly different focus then use CS4 to blend the layers; I attempted to do that on my laptop but received the ugly message of not enough RAM (I’ve got 4 GB) so the actual work will have to wait till I get back to the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawery View Post
    Great shots! Don... if you want to head to GA or FL .. it is about 70 degrees here! It's not quite the holiday feel, but it is supposed to dip a bit next week.
    Chris – sorry we got dropped this morning. I’ve to say without a doubt that I love the Cambo RS! Don’t remember saying this however the first image posted from this trip was 2 images merged – I forgot to crop out the blank pixels, that’s the little bit of white you see on the borders.

We’ve got hit with at least another foot of snow today.

FYI - We posted a couple images as well as 2 very shot videos on our blog

We should be back home in Tucson Friday.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Thanks Jan and David for the kind words.

Took this at Bright Angel Overlook stacking three images at various focal lengths. We got about 12” snow last night with more coming; decided not to go to Death Valley and extending our stay here instead. Cambo RS 1000 35mm lens and P45+ back.

Enjoy!

don
    Don, very nice image!

Is it just me, or am I seeing color shift, magenta center and some green to magenta beyond that? Did you do the LCC?

Thanks!
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don, very nice image!

Is it just me, or am I seeing color shift, magenta center and some green to magenta beyond that? Did you do the LCC?

Thanks!

Jack

Learned a couple things the past couple days; first I shouldn’t post after spending time down at the bar secondly I need to spend more time on C1 before going to CS.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ZD; 55mm lens @ f/5.6. Five exposures. Just having fun with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm over at the coast with my family for a few days and grabbed this shot with a pinhole lens I made for my Mamiya AFD. I estimate it is about a 70mm focal length and f200. This exposure was 15 seconds in early AM light using my P45+.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    The resolution. the DOF, the je'ne sais quoi!
    You might consider re-shooting it with a softar for effect?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay... Since that one went over so well, how about this one?

Jack