Site Sponsors
Page 27 of 386 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 19275

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    hmm, I am not convinced that people could tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75/1.4 summilux, given web jpgs...the lenses are SO similar. I would post some images to test, but I have to go to bed, and it would take time to resize them so as not to give it right away (of course, most of my 110/2's are 6x6, and my 75/1.4's 2:3)
    You could be right, I don't have the lens I'm and just going off images others have posted. I do have a non-apo 90/2 and they definitely render differently than the images I have seen of the 110. I'm guessing it has to do with the imaging surface (film or sensor) being far larger on MF that 35 mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    hmm, I am not convinced that people could tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75/1.4 summilux, given web jpgs...the lenses are SO similar. I would post some images to test, but I have to go to bed, and it would take time to resize them so as not to give it right away (of course, most of my 110/2's are 6x6, and my 75/1.4's 2:3)
    Here are 2 with the 75/1.4 - I am not 100% sure the images are taken at f1.4, but I think, or maybe f2.0.

My feeling is that the sharp-unsharp transitions from MF are different and smoother. Also I am kind of having problems focusing the 75lux wide open on the M8 reliable at all distances (even it was at Leica Service together with my M8 for calibration), as I had with the Nocti and the 35lux. This is why I sold the Nocti, dont use the 75lux much, and the only fast M-lens where I feel I can focus it reliable at various distances wide open is the 50asph. It doesnt help that the rangefinder is in the middle-so its kind of tricky if you dont have the eyes in the middle and want to correct focus because the subject is moving. (FOcus-recompose etc. is not working that great for portrait and people as soon as there is some motion)
    So I feel with a bright and large viewfinder of a MF camera the chance to hit focus is probably better. Sorry if I talked too much for the subject of the thread (which is more about showing images)
    Tom
    Cheers, Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart, tomorrow?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Several images from this morning as Lake Michigan groans and hisses at the extreme temperatures ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You certainly are an early riser Kurt! Excellent shots. I especially like the lighting in the second one.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

jmvdigital

Still processing some older shots. At least these are MF. Shot with P30+ handheld on a cloudy day.

Cancelledreality

Justin, these are great. Love the color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Here are 2 with the 75/1.4 - I am not 100% sure the images are taken at f1.4, but I think, or maybe f2.0.

My feeling is that the sharp-unsharp transitions from MF are different and smoother. Also I am kind of having problems focusing the 75lux wide open on the M8 reliable at all distances (even it was at Leica Service together with my M8 for calibration), as I had with the Nocti and the 35lux. This is why I sold the Nocti, dont use the 75lux much, and the only fast M-lens where I feel I can focus it reliable at various distances wide open is the 50asph. It doesnt help that the rangefinder is in the middle-so its kind of tricky if you dont have the eyes in the middle and want to correct focus because the subject is moving. (FOcus-recompose etc. is not working that great for portrait and people as soon as there is some motion)
    So I feel with a bright and large viewfinder of a MF camera the chance to hit focus is probably better. Sorry if I talked too much for the subject of the thread (which is more about showing images)
    Tom
    Cheers, Tom
    tom

Your work is so good that I won't argue about your results with the 75 Lux on the M8. I use a magnifier (both Leica 1.25 and the Megaperls 1.33) and have had little trouble hitting the focus. Weird too because I seem to miss on the 35 Cron more often that the 75! LOL that is strange.

However I love the Hassy and hit the focus now more and more often. I use the 100 2.2 HC lens a lot as well as the Zeiss 120 Macro with Zeiss to Hassy adapter. I love the Zeiss 180 as well and have gotten some really good results with it.

No conclusions here. I am not really good with focus as a result of some pretty shaky hands but I seem to be getting the job done. I cannot see myself selling the 75 lux. I loved it from the moment I saw the images Guy took on our Germany Leica/Porsche trip a couple of years ago. I bought one and some of my very best images were taken with it. Jack and Guy both thought that the image I took of the Yosemite valley about 15 minutes after sunset was very good. Would have been sharper perhaps with the 75 Cron but the magic of the lux would have been lost.

Just some thoughts. Draw your own conclusions once you have looked at both solutions.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Several images from this morning as Lake Michigan groans and hisses at the extreme temperatures ...
    Kurt, that first image is a stunner --- *love* it!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I forgot about the whole 110mm 75mm comparison. I put together some images for people to see if they can tell the difference. I will post them in the "opinions of zeiss 110/2" thread, so as to not bog things down here.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    tom

Your work is so good that I won't argue about your results with the 75 Lux on the M8. I use a magnifier (both Leica 1.25 and the Megaperls 1.33) and have had little trouble hitting the focus. Weird too because I seem to miss on the 35 Cron more often that the 75! LOL that is strange.

However I love the Hassy and hit the focus now more and more often. I use the 100 2.2 HC lens a lot as well as the Zeiss 120 Macro with Zeiss to Hassy adapter. I love the Zeiss 180 as well and have gotten some really good results with it.

No conclusions here. I am not really good with focus as a result of some pretty shaky hands but I seem to be getting the job done. I cannot see myself selling the 75 lux. I loved it from the moment I saw the images Guy took on our Germany Leica/Porsche trip a couple of years ago. I bought one and some of my very best images were taken with it. Jack and Guy both thought that the image I took of the Yosemite valley about 15 minutes after sunset was very good. Would have been sharper perhaps with the 75 Cron but the magic of the lux would have been lost.

Just some thoughts. Draw your own conclusions once you have looked at both solutions.

Woody

Woody,
    the funny thing is that so far I dont feel that the 75 Summarit has any disadvantage compared to the 75lux. With the 75lux I sometimes feel that I could like a little bit more contrast. The 75 Summarit has a shorter way for focusing, is lighter, and I feel I focus it more precise (I dont know why).
    Thats why I thought why should I keep that 75lux in my selve, if it could serve somebody else with very nice images, and maybe sombody who really wants to also use it at f1.4.
    My feel is that certain samples of lenses work very well togehter with a particular sample of a rangefinder camera.
    One example: On my rd1 the 35 lux was the one I got best results, on the M8 I feel that I have focus problems. And this even though the 35lux was adjusted together with my particular M8.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an analog pic from Alpa TC Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 45 scanned with Hasselblad 343

Bob
    Last edited by docmoore; 23rd February 2009 at 15:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa TC Rodenstock 45 Apo Grandagon

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa TC Rodenstock 45 Apo Grandagon Analog Scan

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa TC Analog Scan as above

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa TC Rodenstock 45 Apo Grandagon Acros 100 Scan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doc

Fine work. I love the first one because I thought it was blown highlights but as i looked more closely this combination has tremendous DR. What kind of film did you use.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Doc

Fine work. I love the first one because I thought it was blown highlights but as i looked more closely this combination has tremendous DR. What kind of film did you use.

Woody

Thanks Woody,

That is actually Fuji Pro 800Z color negative film, scanned as positive then inverted and desaturated in channel mixer with CS4....highlights are sitting right at 255 and the top of the stack is probably a little over the top. There is not too much detail there so I got away with it.

Bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple shots last night in Sedona with the P25p and the 300mm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few from yesterday on the Sedona leg of our workshop. These were all from the P45+ on the Mamiya, and I think all are the 120 macro. Processing was done virtually all in C1 including the B&W conversions, but I used CS just for jpegging them as I have not yet figured out how to get C1 to generate a really crisp looking 900 pixel jpeg yet. Hopefully Doug can show me how to do that in C1 when we get to Moab

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adore the Third shot.... The Sky & Mountains stand Majestic

Post Thanks / Like

I have always wanted to go to Sedona and am really loving those shots of it.

Since I can't be there, I can only post of the nice place I do go a lot - St Ives in Cornwall and the surrounding coast.

P45+ on Phamiya, 80mm @1/40th F16 ISO50, tripod and a bitter wind!
    Attachment 11244
    Last edited by tashley; 26th January 2009 at 06:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Some weeks before, same setup other than 1/125th @ F7.1
    Attachment 11246

Post Thanks / Like

Guy and Jack,

What wonderful light you found! I spent the morning digging holes around the flower beds and would much rather be on the road to Moab.

Please keep the pictures coming. I love to live vicariously.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    St Ives in Cornwall and the surrounding coast.

...and a bitter wind!
    Attachment 11244
    Tim, I love the first picture...is that virga on the right side? Gorgeous view of the coast.

I have two days after Easter while visiting our daughter at OX1 and may try to make it to Cornwall after seeing your pictures.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Tim, I love the first picture...is that virga on the right side? Gorgeous view of the coast.

I have two days after Easter while visiting our daughter at OX1 and may try to make it to Cornwall after seeing your pictures.

Bob
    Thanks Bob!

The distant lighthouse island is Godrevy, viewed in the first shot from Porthkidney Beach near Hayle (one of the most stunning beaches in the world) and in the second shot from Bamaluz Beach in St. Ives. Both places are a loooong way from Oxford: the nearest big town is Penzance, and St Ives takes over five hours from London by train. Worth it though!

Sussex isn't bad either: view from my desk today...
    Attachment 11256

Best

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

Can you add a few of your quick impressions of the Mamiya 120/4 macro. The images you recently posted look good. I've been tempted by that lens for awhile and am wondering if it is worth having both that and the 150/2.8D ... although the price is reasonable compared much of the other newer lenses that have recently been introduced.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Our internet is very weak but we are in Chinle or Canyon De Chelley. I am out of order but this is pretty cool. Last 10 minutes of light and we made it to this spot. I think there is a cop still looking for that buzz going flying by.LOL

This is MF a 6 shot vertical Pano stitch with the 80mm in Canyon De Chelley. BTW driving through Flag we drove through a snow storm and up to 50 miles wind gusts all day long. We are wind burned but we had a ball anyway
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are from the Petrified National Forest MF with 28mm and 150mm lenses. I could spend several days here

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This will have to be a work in progress until I get home and on a larger computer. The image was taken in Stout Grove, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (where they filmed Jurassic Park).

Cambo RS 1000, 72mm lens, P45+ 3 images stitched together. Just a side note but Iím using the CUBE and it is without a doubt the easiest and best camera head Iíve had the pleasure using; Iím getting the camera level no matter the terrain Ė end commercial.

Guy Ė thatís a stunning panorama kinda makes me wish I was there.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

msglueck

Guys, thanks for these threads. After following them for some time, I though I'll have to contribute something too.

In order of apperance:

Beach toy, St. Cyr, France (Rolleiflex GX Planar 2.8/80mm)

Pink flower, France (6008AF, Schneider 4/300mm APO + tubes)

Tenerife, Spain (Mamiya 7 + 80mm)

Cheers, Markus

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob:
    much prefer your second nude shot, the first one looks too artificial to my eye

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

beautiful zig zag of light there Tashley!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Bob:
    much prefer your second nude shot, the first one looks too artificial to my eye
    Thanks, John.
    This one actually was more set up than the other, but it really does look like something that could jave just happened.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I pass here very often but never managed to get an astounding one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A very different style

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6 shot Pano in Moab with P25 plus and 150mm mamiya

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great shots, sinwen and Guy.

Guy, I normally don't fiddle with nature, but that dark cloud streak just over the tips of the mountains is something I might remove. It just distracts in exactly that location. Does it actually hit the mountains?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cheated . It was from another sunset shot. I did it on my laptop in a hurry this morning before we start out. I need my desktop for that stuff , can't really see what I want to see. I will redo it later on from the Mac Pro with a much bigger screen. Nice pickup

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Jack,

Can you add a few of your quick impressions of the Mamiya 120/4 macro. The images you recently posted look good. I've been tempted by that lens for awhile and am wondering if it is worth having both that and the 150/2.8D ... although the price is reasonable compared much of the other newer lenses that have recently been introduced.

Kurt
    Hi Kurt:

First impression is very positive-- and note my version is not the most current one, but the previous AF version. It is extremely sharp when used in the macro through about 5 meter subject distances. Of course it is still sharp at infinity, but honestly lacks the 'punch' the 150 D lens has there -- mind you, I am talking a very slight back seat here. Bokeh can be jagged at times yet quite pleasing at others -- f5.6 seems to be the sweet-spot for nice oof rendering with medium close subjects. Here the 150 D IMO delivers a little better Bokeh most of the time, but again, the 120's is certainly not horrible. The big advantage of the macro is it can go from infinity to 1:1 with a twist on the ring, so it makes a superb all-around outdoor/landscape lens.

If weight was an issue, I would never carry both the 120 and 150 at the same time, as they're about the same size and weight. Both are great in their respective zones, and while they cross over into each other's territories, they retain enough independence for me to justify owning both.

PS: Lots of great images above folks, keep them coming!

Jack
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hassy 501, 80mm my favorite and color neg Reala 100.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Iíd share this image taken this morning at Harris Beach State Park, Brookings OR.

Decided to shoot this mornings images with the Phase One AFD, P45+ back coupled with either 75-150 or my 28mm lens; this image was with the 28.

I want to get home so that I can work this up on a full size screen instead of my 13Ē laptop.

Cheers

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Great picture as it stands...color and contrast look wonderful.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is in Moab, Garden of Eden. Looks like it to. MF 150mm lens

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

All were shot today in the Redwoods. Cambo RS1000, 35mm lens, P45+

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That last shot is awesome, Don!
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    That last shot is awesome, Don!
    Whereas I'm most loving the first one. Something for everyone! Lovely control of light and dark in both though...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you are known to have questionnable judgement

Actually, the first shot is great too, but the last one gets me.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These were all shot today using the Cambo RS1000 (Carlos Ė itís small not tiny!) P45+ and 35mm lens. To be honest I thought about how well a wider lens would work but then Iíd remember that I have all kinds of movements. I took delivery of the CUBE a couple days before I left on this trip and I can say that it has been the best device to aid in the movements, there hasnít been a shot missed because I couldnít get it leveled or moved to a certain angle to aid the Cambo.

I leave for home in the morning were the real fun begins loading and work on images that I need much more than 4GB of RAM (I know because I tried!)

Enjoy

don

Please remember these are "works in progress" all worked on a dinky 13" laptop.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post

These were all shot today using the Cambo RS1000 (Carlos – it’s small not tiny!) P45+ and 35mm lens. To be honest I thought about how well a wider lens would work but then I’d remember that I have all kinds of movements. I took delivery of the CUBE a couple days before I left on this trip and I can say that it has been the best device to aid in the movements, there hasn’t been a shot missed because I couldn’t get it leveled or moved to a certain angle to aid the Cambo.

I leave for home in the morning were the real fun begins loading and work on images that I need much more than 4GB of RAM (I know because I tried!)

Enjoy

don

Please remember these are "works in progress" all worked on a dinky 13" laptop.
    Give that little laptop a well deserved pat on the head.
    These look VERY good to me.
    Which lens are you using on the Cambo?
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 2nd February 2009 at 11:37.