Site Sponsors
Page 274 of 386 FirstFirst ... 174 224 264 272 273 274 275 276 284 324 374 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,700 of 19298

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Drove up to the mountains yesterday for a couple shots. Not sure I like any of them but here's one. Totally blew the exposure in the highlights (was cold and tired and ready to go home) but still turned out ok. Blue Ridge Mountains looking south into Georgia. Hassy H4D-40, 35-90mm @ 35mm, f/11, 64 sec, ISO 100
    Todd
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Philip! One of my favourite places.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the classic view of Peyto Lake in Banff NP. Must have been shot millions of times but I liked the light this day.

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 28 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jesup Path in Acadia had some great color. This boardwalk goes through an incredible Birch forest.

Cambo, IQ180, HR40, 2 shot stitch

If you look closely, you may see Guy, Stu and Bryan.

Higher resolution wallpaper of this scene on my blog
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm the good looking one. lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    This is the classic view of Peyto Lake in Banff NP. Must have been shot millions of times but I liked the light this day.

Super shot Bill!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKißler View Post
    Shot these for school recently. I did rent a 120mm macro and have to admit that I was very surprised at how large and heavy this lens actually was. I expected less bulk and weight and the AF is damn slow but qualitywise it left nothing to be desired.

H2, P30+, f16 (which is the breaking point for this back in my opinion)

And another one:

I haven't yet decided which one to hand in. Which one do you guys prefer?
    I love them.
    Macros are not the faster at autofocus in general.
    F16 is very "deep" the model needs to have top makeup and good skin.

Love the colors too.
    Any tip about the F16 selection?

Best regards.
    J. Duncan
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

spring come back MAMIYA ZD-body.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't yet decided which one to hand in. Which one do you guys prefer?

Top photo - definitely

Great work!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cherry Creek State Park, CO
    Phase One IQ180/Cambo WRS AE/Rodenstock 23mm HR-S
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 22nd October 2013 at 04:28.
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chatfield State Park, CO
    Phase One IQ180/Mamiya RZ Pro IID/Mamiya 37mm Fisheye lens
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Pramote
    http://pramotelaoprasert.zenfolio.com/
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post

You are posting some great work but this one is puzzling me. Are you trying to show the conflict in this scene? Normally a stream is used to lead into the frame but the way you have composed the tree totally blocks the invitation. The additional clump of trees behind it blocks the scene even further. I'm curious about your thoughts on this one.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Pramote

have to agree with Ed on this one.

Cheers, S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    I love them.
    Macros are not the faster at autofocus in general.
    F16 is very "deep" the model needs to have top makeup and good skin.

Love the colors too.
    Any tip about the F16 selection?

Best regards.
    J. Duncan
    I was glad the 120mm did have auto focus at all, but next time I'll choose the 150mm. I went for the 120mm because I wanted to be able to capture details aswell. In the end I didn't do so but Fortuna favours the prepared, isn't it what they say?

My comment about f16 being the breaking point was in regard to diffraction. The gain in depth of field is not worth the minor loss of overall sharpness in my opinion. It's not much but it's there. I wanted to have both eyes sharp even with her head slightly tilted sideways but in the end it's all a matter of magnification anyway.

Regards

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Pramote,

You are posting some great work but this one is puzzling me. Are you trying to show the conflict in this scene? Normally a stream is used to lead into the frame but the way you have composed the tree totally blocks the invitation. The additional clump of trees behind it blocks the scene even further. I'm curious about your thoughts on this one.

Ed
    Thanks very much Ed for your thoughtful comment from my hero! I really appreciate it.
    It's a complex and an interesting scene to me. The water flow and tree form a triangle. It just looked good to me when I shot it. Probably it's not

have to agree with Ed on this one.

Cheers, S.

Thanks very much my friend!

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote,

Ed
    I'm going to get heat for this one. Ed its a first date you can't get past 1st base but if you do there is no way in hell your getting past 2nd base. So the invitation has some caveats.

I can feel the emails coming. Flame suit on

Pramote I do like the shot.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will say this Pramote has my Cambo AE model and he is certainly doing justice with it. I want it back. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unlike Ed, I really like this. I find with the water and then the tree crossing the stream there is a visual path into the landscape. Like the tonality as well. I also like you taking on what is normally ignored in landscape which are events like wind throw. Natural order and human ideas of order don't always mesh, but I really think you have a compelling image here.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It just looked good to me when I shot it. Probably it's not
    First, I did not mean to imply it was not an interesting shot. My apologies if it came across that way, just the opposite. I didn't understand what attracted you to photograph the scene in that way so I was picking your brain more than anything. It is perfectly acceptable to have an image that speaks in ways not obvious to the viewer.

Your response brings up more important subject: sometimes we get stuck in our rut of photographing images with technically good qualities in terms of subject, exposure, focus, composition etc. Venturing into the dangerous territory of telling a story or expressing our emotions visually is more problematic. It is comfortable to play it safe and only post images that you are sure will get approval and likes from the masses. A great sunset with fire in the sky is bound to elicit a positive response. Guy's post recently of that little bridge was a totally different type of image because it evoked a deeper emotion (in me anyway).

IMHO we only move beyond our current ability to express our artistic talent when we step outside that comfort zone of like-ability. Opening yourself up to possible criticism is scary to the fragile little artist egos living inside us that drives us to photograph.

More specifically, we've watched your work on this board improve by orders of magnitude in the past year or two (time flies). Hopefully my work has improved as I would guess everyone who frequents this board. Don't be too quick to crawl back in your artist shell with "Probably it's not", feel free to explore why you were attracted to the image without judging yourself.

What I think you will find is your frame of mind has a lot to do (maybe subconsciously to some extent) with why you saw something in the scene. Once we embrace that paradigm the idea of good or bad suddenly changes to how well did I communicate my vision or emotion. A different and much more constructive discussion than "is this a good image? yes or no".

OMG where did all that come from?

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Last one.
    Nice to see that you are not color blind Alan :-)
    I have admired your 4x5 B/W photos.
    And I can see that you will keep up your good work in color also

Ray

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm going to get heat for this one. Ed its a first date you can't get past 1st base but if you do there is no way in hell your getting past 2nd base. So the invitation has some caveats.

I can feel the emails coming. Flame suit on

Pramote I do like the shot.
    I will say this Pramote has my Cambo AE model and he is certainly doing justice with it. I want it back. LOL

Thanks very much Guy! I really appreciate your kind words.
    I also have to thank you for selling me the Cambo WRS AE with a great price and free technical support It is a fantastic camera and I love it more and more everyday.

Pramote

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Unlike Ed, I really like this. I find with the water and then the tree crossing the stream there is a visual path into the landscape. Like the tonality as well. I also like you taking on what is normally ignored in landscape which are events like wind throw. Natural order and human ideas of order don't always mesh, but I really think you have a compelling image here.
    Thanks very much Will for your kind words! This is the complex scene I was not sure how it would come out when I took it. Great to hear thoughtful comments from friends here.

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First, I did not mean to imply it was not an interesting shot. My apologies if it came across that way, just the opposite. I didn't understand what attracted you to photograph the scene in that way so I was picking your brain more than anything. It is perfectly acceptable to have an image that speaks in ways not obvious to the viewer.

Your response brings up more important subject: sometimes we get stuck in our rut of photographing images with technically good qualities in terms of subject, exposure, focus, composition etc. Venturing into the dangerous territory of telling a story or expressing our emotions visually is more problematic. It is comfortable to play it safe and only post images that you are sure will get approval and likes from the masses. A great sunset with fire in the sky is bound to elicit a positive response. Guy's post recently of that little bridge was a totally different type of image because it evoked a deeper emotion (in me anyway).

IMHO we only move beyond our current ability to express our artistic talent when we step outside that comfort zone of like-ability. Opening yourself up to possible criticism is scary to the fragile little artist egos living inside us that drives us to photograph.

More specifically, we've watched your work on this board improve by orders of magnitude in the past year or two (time flies). Hopefully my work has improved as I would guess everyone who frequents this board. Don't be too quick to crawl back in your artist shell with "Probably it's not", feel free to explore why you were attracted to the image without judging yourself.

What I think you will find is your frame of mind has a lot to do (maybe subconsciously to some extent) with why you saw something in the scene. Once we embrace that paradigm the idea of good or bad suddenly changes to how well did I communicate my vision or emotion. A different and much more constructive discussion than "is this a good image? yes or no".

I think this is well said and it really drives home a point here. Below my signature says it all and its something we all need to do is go out and experiment, taking chances get out of your shell and explore. What draws me still to this forum everyday and lets be honest, I'm a pretty good shooter but I still learn from others and I enjoy watching the growth in the members here. Be it a Pro, Hobbyist , Student or whatever the growth in folks ability to create Art here is astonishing . After many workshops and a lot of repeat participants It tickles me to death to see them getting better with every new image they create. Watching people grow on this forum for the last 4 years is just simply amazing and I give a ton of credit to those that seek out the best in them plugging away at it. Its just ****ing inspiring as hell.

You folks keep my spirit up. I'll leave it at that

Post Thanks / Like

Ed

I am impressed - I feel the conversation on this image has flushed out some interesting introspection from your good self.

It is food for reflection.

Mal

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed...Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment and advice!
    You are one of best photographers who have always inspired me. Your friendly suggestions and complements are always appreciative.
    The GetDPI is liked home to me. That's for sure!
    Lots of you may not know I've been learning and stealing ideas from your pictures you've posted

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see that you are not color blind Alan :-)
    I have admired your 4x5 B/W photos.
    And I can see that you will keep up your good work in color also

Ray
    Thank you Ray. I will do my best to keep advancing my craft. It is great to get such positive support from yourself and others on this forum who's work I admire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another picture postcard but I had to do it!
    Love that 240 LS.
    Abraham Lake, Alberta.

Bill CB

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I found a Rolleiflex 3.5F in an antique store a couple of months back, it was in good condition but in desperate need of a CLA. I got it back from the repair shop the other week and here's a couple of shots from the first test-roll. Gotta say I love the character of the lens, it reminds me of Hasselblad V lenses, which makes sense considering they're both Zeiss I guess.

Portra 400, f/3.5, 1/8th of a second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found another shot lurking in C1. IQ 260 with 23mm Roadie

Likes 23 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Super shot Bill!
    Thanks ED!
    Bill
    Bill CB

Post Thanks / Like

Ed...Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment and advice!
    You are one of best photographers who have always inspired me. Your friendly suggestions and complements are always appreciative.
    The GetDPI is liked home to me. That's for sure!
    Lots of you may not know I've been learning and stealing ideas from your pictures you've posted

Pramote
    Art is all about stealing but we call it inspiration.

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing - Salvador Dali

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good artists copy, great artists steal - Pablo Picasso

Ed...I will go by Picasso, one of my most favorite artists

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DEnver Art Museum Complex
    Phase One IQ260/Cambo WRS AE/Rodenstock 40mm HR-W/Stitching (Panning ~ 320 degrees)
    What I've learnt so far is that the IQ260 is fantastic for low light and I can use less of LCC compared to the IQ180.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    Pramote
    http://pramotelaoprasert.zenfolio.com/
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

RZIID+50/4+Aptus54s + some light..

Leaf_014854www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My view of Jesup path (no mini Ed in mine.... he moved)

IQ260, HR40
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wondered when we'd see the results of the impromptu tilt/swing/shift exercise that you folks had going on.
    Ylem ...

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guanella Pass, Georgetown, CO
    Phase One IQ180/Phase One DF/SK 55mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I wondered when we'd see the results of the impromptu tilt/swing/shift exercise that you folks had going on.
    I think it actually turned out okay....
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I think I had about 3 degrees of forward tilt on this as the camera was about 30 inches from the ground.
    Bryan

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    I think I had about 3 degrees of forward tilt on this as the camera was about 30 inches from the ground.
    I use an app called Tilt Calculator on the iPhone. Your Rodie 40 on a full frame 40x54mm sensor @f/11 and 30in from the horizontal plane does indeed come out with a calculated tilt of precisely 3 degrees to give you everything from your toes to infinity in focus.

Nice to know that the theory and practice matched
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this image. Beautiful tonality and great luminosity around the fallen tree. I also like the mystery around the clump of trees to the right. The composition is strong and sets the overall mood of the image and makes me want to know more. You could start a whole series from that picture,

Good example of breaking the rules - more please !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I too like your photo Pramote. The tones are beautiful and I like the way the forms play against - with each other and balance nicely. I think the diagonals add a dynamic aspect that helps draw the viewer into the photo. I enjoy photos such as this. Very well done.

Do you think this is wind throw as Shashin suggested or is it possibly from some previous flooding?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't posted anything for awhile. Here's one from a family camping trip in September. This is from the campsite. ISO 400, 5 minutes 51 seconds, Pentax 645D, 35-A lens at f/5.6, about midnight, moon backlighting of lake fog. A lesson learned - After doing a few other exposures, I set one up very similar to this. Did an exposure of about 45 minutes with the expectation that the longer star trails would be nicely veiled by the lake fog. After exposing, was careful to not turn the camera off when packing it away so it could do its dark exposure thing and to bed I went. In the morning, with great anticipation, I grabbed the camera to check my new masterpiece. Nothing. Yep, the battery had died during the noise reduction black frame. So, with that in mind, later in the week I did a lighthouse shot at a 1 hour exposure. Put a newly recharged battery in the camera beforehand and the shot turned out nice (looks good in Lightroom anyway, but have yet to get something finished that I'm happy with).

Rick

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1382554466
    Last edited by WildRover; 21st May 2014 at 12:06.
    Likes 25 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pozzello View Post
    I really like this image. Beautiful tonality and great luminosity around the fallen tree. I also like the mystery around the clump of trees to the right. The composition is strong and sets the overall mood of the image and makes me want to know more. You could start a whole series from that picture,

Good example of breaking the rules - more please !
    I too like your photo Pramote. The tones are beautiful and I like the way the forms play against - with each other and balance nicely. I think the diagonals add a dynamic aspect that helps draw the viewer into the photo. I enjoy photos such as this. Very well done.

Do you think this is wind throw as Shashin suggested or is it possibly from some previous flooding?

Rick

Thanks very much Pozzello & Rick for your kind words. I truly appreciate them.
    This is the state park 5 minutes from my home and I've never seen flooding. I think it was just aging.

Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I use an app called Tilt Calculator on the iPhone. Your Rodie 40 on a full frame 40x54mm sensor @f/11 and 30in from the horizontal plane does indeed come out with a calculated tilt of precisely 3 degrees to give you everything from your toes to infinity in focus.

Nice to know that the theory and practice matched
    Good to know. I will have to see if they have that app for my Samsung
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arca Swiss Rm3di | XF | P1 IQ380 |

http://www.awolfphotography.com/
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guanella Pass, Georgetown, CO
    Phase One IQ180/Phase One DF/Mamiya 300mm AF

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica S2/Leica 35mm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WildRover View Post
    I haven't posted anything for awhile. Here's one from a family camping trip in September. This is from the campsite. ISO 400, 5 minutes 51 seconds, Pentax 645D, 35-A lens at f/5.6, about midnight, moon backlighting of lake fog. A lesson learned - After doing a few other exposures, I set one up very similar to this. Did an exposure of about 45 minutes with the expectation that the longer star trails would be nicely veiled by the lake fog. After exposing, was careful to not turn the camera off when packing it away so it could do its dark exposure thing and to bed I went. In the morning, with great anticipation, I grabbed the camera to check my new masterpiece. Nothing. Yep, the battery had died during the noise reduction black frame. So, with that in mind, later in the week I did a lighthouse shot at a 1 hour exposure. Put a newly recharged battery in the camera beforehand and the shot turned out nice (looks good in Lightroom anyway, but have yet to get something finished that I'm happy with).

Rick

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1382554466
    That is one of the best landscape shots I've seen this year.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz