Eric

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

doug, that is a beauty

jmvdigital

Two shots from November when the farmers were out processing their corn fields.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sinar Hy6 with Rollei 110 f/2... perhaps a bit over processed but the model loved it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eric -- nice shot. I love the colors....so natural.

David and Justin -- nice work from you both as well!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

jmvdigital

David - Very nice shot! Over processed or not, I think it works very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, you have stepped it up for sure! That image is simply killer!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely David - what lighting sare you using ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Lovely David - what lighting sare you using ?
    Thanks for the compliments guys... the lighting is all Broncolor and, while we moved it around a bit, that shot was taken with three lights... overhead from the front with beauty dish and grid, side lighting with a basic reflector and grid and a ringflash from the front. Also had a mirror bounce from below for fill. Credit for the lighting setup goes to my friend Andre at TYE. For the record the young lady does model but didn't come to the studio for that reason. Andre and I were doing some lighting tests but dragged her in front of the camera so we'd have a live body to shoot. I really like the Broncolor lighting and recently organized a video shoot for them near my home in Jupiter. It's on their website for anyone interested in seeing it. If anyone is local to Ft. Lauderdale we're having a huge Broncolor demo at TYE studios this coming weekend and week (starting on Feb. 21st).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Sinar Hy6 with Rollei 110 f/2... perhaps a bit over processed but the model loved it
    good to have you back Dr K. It's been a little while.

What can one say other than the images from the 110/2.0 are just spectacular. i love this shot and don't wonder why the model does as well.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys... the lighting is all Broncolor and, while we moved it around a bit, that shot was taken with three lights... overhead from the front with beauty dish and grid, side lighting with a basic reflector and grid and a ringflash from the front. Also had a mirror bounce from below for fill.
    The big Mola (beauty dish) is the real secret -- stick ANY light in it and it works magic I do like the effect in this image from the gridded ring -- I usually don't like rings, but it works here, flattening out the model's face.

David, also looks like you processed her skin a bit, like some skin smoothing in post?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody... haven't posted in a bit as I've been a little down in the dumps with our local Florida real estate industry. I'm sure lots of folks here can relate. Heard someone say we're just at the end of the beginning with this thing... not the beginning of the end. I sure hope he's wrong...

Jack, yes to the post processing. Secret sauce (my own recipe) is to fiddle with the Portraiture plug-in for Photoshop by Imagenomic which is quick and easy and provides excellent (to my eye) skin results. Then I use the Silver Efex Pro plug-in by Nik. Nothing that can't be done in Photoshop alone but much quicker and easier with the plug-ins. One other tip that a friend passed along that I find myself using is duplicating the layer... changing the blend mode to Screen and then backing off that opacity to around 50%. This may sound like more work than it is since I can do all of the above in about 2-3 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    One from the Grand Canyon. Contax 645, 45mm, Aptus 75S.
    I spent two days processing this and think I'm finally satisfied with it. (well maybe)
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post Thanks / Like

OK - I'll play. Not a landscape, but an urban landscape if you will. Cambo WDS, Schnider 47xl, P1 P25 - iso 50, f14 @ 6 seconds....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice James!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surf, Sutro Baths

Aptus 75s, Zeiss 110

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

japanese Gardens, San Francisco

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

James and Jim... very nice. Here's a practice product shot I took with the help of my friend Ray Harms who's a real pro at this...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and the crop (really a double crop since the original was a pretty dramatic crop to begin with). Taken with the Rollei 80mm 2.8 which didn't allow me to get as close as I'd have liked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm...United We Stand....at least until I shoot you in the face.

David, have you tried any extension tubes? The 80mm works very well up close if you use a tube.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beretta supplies a lot of military and police forces in the US.

I have spent a fair amount of time in places where the police/military are either corrupt or ineffective. Try a fortnight in Zimbabwe or even Nigeria. Personally, I prefer a society that has well trained and armed forces. In spite of the difficulties it is reassuring to know that we have the right to protect those who depend upon us.

I find that extension tubes are great if the plane of focus is rigidly controlled as the DOF is so shallow. I use an 13mm a lot.

Nice pictures by the way.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post

David, have you tried any extension tubes? The 80mm works very well up close if you use a tube.
    It does indeed: here with three stacked - this is a crop, naturally...

Attachment 12620

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I have spent a fair amount of time in places where the police/military are either corrupt or ineffective."

Yes, me too (I lived a year in the Russian far east), but I don't think more or better guns makes militaries or police less corrupt! Nor do I think we can do without them. I did not mean to make a political statement, I just meant it as a joke. It seems kind of a strange statement to be written on a weapon to me...somewhat inconsistent with the original idea.

BUT, I do not want to drag the thread down with my flippant remark. David -- I have a 17mm extension that gets very close with the 80mm...I think the 9mm is probably more useful in some situations. There is actually a variable "zoom" extension tube 22-68mm. It is usually used as a lens body for the 150mm apo symmar, but it could be very useful for the macro range.

So here is a random medium format image to keep things on track.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart,

Living in Russia is about as close as one can approach chaos in a "structured society." I hesitated to comment at all and am in complete agreement with you...you will notice that I tend to shoot landscapes and the odd piece of antique furniture.

Most of my trips are under the aegis of a medical mission so we are at the whim of any strong arm group or government that wishes to get in the way. I end up seeing the far end effects of that reality with regards to the health of the sojourner, widow and orphan...not real pretty on the whole. I once was thrown out of China as we were going to Tibet and they did not want us to care for their problem state...confiscated all of our medications and surgical supplies but in the end returned them to us on our way out of country.

My apologies for diverting your joke...will try to focus on the odd tree and pasture from here on.

with humble regards,

Bob

DougDolde

Cottonwoods near the Bull Pen Ranch, West Clear Creek, Arizona. Contax 645, 140mm + 1.4x Mutar, Aptus 75S. Two vertical frames stitched; about 50 megapixels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there,

This is my first post here, and because i just have my medium format camera new few beginning of this year, so i choose this thread to post my simple learning shots, and i hope to learn more in the future, i will start with my beloved daughters photos.

Hasselblad H3DII-39mp + HC 2.8/80mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Professional,
    The third shot is very nice.
    And the forth, It looks like you might not get that Canon back LOL
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart, I have used the extension tubes but didn't on this shot (there was a line of impatient shooters behind me ). It certainly shortens the minimum focusing distance but you really have to get close to the subject and the DOF gets very shallow (as shown in Tashley's beautiful flower shot). I just had a chance to compare a shot taken with the extension tube to one taken with the auto bellows and another taken with the Sinar P3 on a multi-shot back. This was my first opportunity to use the P3/multi shot combo and the capabilities of that setup are simply amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Professional,
    The third shot is very nice.
    And the forth, It looks like you might not get that Canon back LOL
    -bob
    Bob, what is Canon? hehe
    After looking at these resolutions from medium format it is hardly to use any non-MF DSRLs, i did the test between this beast and my 1DsIII and clearly that H3D was the winner, how can i go back to Canon then? I think my daughter deserve it

-Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now i am in our photography club, so i will test my extension tube with 80mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,

Great series, but I really like the third shot -- the way the odd bridge frames the bent tree is perfect
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim,

Gorgeous rose! I assume this was your test of three tubes on the 80?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David:

I like the first of the handgun shots
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL . Kinda big for her though, get her a G1. LOL

BTW nice shots and welcome to the forum. Seriously though after shooting MF for awhile now it is really hard to buy anything small again ever. Issue is you know right off the bat the camera will not provide those kinds of images from MF but certainly the DSLR's are nice to have for certain things. I have been avoiding buying one for a long time, it gets harder everyday for me because i do need some speed sometimes. I just shot a golf outing for a health care company and MF does keep me on my toes. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug:

Very nice composition and B&W treatment -- my favorite of yours so far! My only suggestion would be a slight edge burn at the upper left brach to knock it down a notch.
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim thanks for running the 3 tubes together nice to know how that works. I need the number 2 .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    LOL . Kinda big for her though, get her a G1. LOL

BTW nice shots and welcome to the forum. Seriously though after shooting MF for awhile now it is really hard to buy anything small again ever. Issue is you know right off the bat the camera will not provide those kinds of images from MF but certainly the DSLR's are nice to have for certain things. I have been avoiding buying one for a long time, it gets harder everyday for me because i do need some speed sometimes. I just shot a golf outing for a health care company and MF does keep me on my toes. LOL
    Don't worry, i will keep that DSRL for her until show grows up, and to be honest, when i travel i will only use those DSRLs and not MF, i don't have much accessories yet, so i don't need to go with MF and i am very worry about that beast to be taken or stolen, the price is about twice or 3 times of 1DsIII at least.

I agree, it is very slow camera, i got painful using the macro with extension tube, even the lens bare is hard to focus easily fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tim,

Gorgeous rose! I assume this was your test of three tubes on the 80?
    It sure was Jack... focus is not too tough but best to bracket since DOF is negligible but that's exactly the sort of look I was after - I'm really pleased with it and the three tubes plus a bag of glass are such a flexible solution!

Best

Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim, did you do anything special to get so much depth of field? Or is the crop just really dramatic?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Three images offered:

The finished image is 42x31 and is comprised of 6 images (2 rows 3 images each row).

The second image is 4 images layered for focus.

Third image is 2 images layered for focus.

I had attempted to stitch the first image using my Dell XPS M1330 (dual core/4GB RAM) but keep hitting the RAM wall. I could do limited stitching even when I had my P30+ back thus I knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. While I could perform limited stitching there just wasn't anyway to get the computer to do a focal layer thus I was left not knowing if I had gotten what I wanted till I got home.

So being frustrated and not handling it well at all I decided that I needed a newer traveling laptop one that will be able to keep up with the type of images I like to shoot. I ordered a new Dell Precision M6400 2 weeks ago and it arrived here on Friday just in time for my next trip (leaving tomorrow morning). Now I have a big 17" quad core 8GB 2 disk big hawking machine (did I mention it'll go up to 16GB?) that has 2 hard drives. The image is a result of trying out the machine this morning. I'd say I finally have a laptop that is very close to being an equal to my studio computer; and yes I'm happy.

All images shot using a Cambo RS1000, P45+ and 35mm lens - can't forget the Cube!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Tim, did you do anything special to get so much depth of field? Or is the crop just really dramatic?
    Hi Carsten,

Am temporarily separated from the original file but the crop is to 20 or 25% of the original.... and I used f16...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Three images offered:

The finished image is 42x31 and is comprised of 6 images (2 rows 3 images each row).

The second image is 4 images layered for focus.

Third image is 2 images layered for focus.

I had attempted to stitch the first image using my Dell XPS M1330 (dual core/4GB RAM) but keep hitting the RAM wall. I could do limited stitching even when I had my P30+ back thus I knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. While I could perform limited stitching there just wasn't anyway to get the computer to do a focal layer thus I was left not knowing if I had gotten what I wanted till I got home.

So being frustrated and not handling it well at all I decided that I needed a newer traveling laptop one that will be able to keep up with the type of images I like to shoot. I ordered a new Dell Precision M6400 2 weeks ago and it arrived here on Friday just in time for my next trip (leaving tomorrow morning). Now I have a big 17" quad core 8GB 2 disk big hawking machine (did I mention it'll go up to 16GB?) that has 2 hard drives. The image is a result of trying out the machine this morning. I'd say I finally have a laptop that is very close to being an equal to my studio computer; and yes I'm happy.

All images shot using a Cambo RS1000, P45+ and 35mm lens - can't forget the Cube!

Don
    Hey Don,

I sympathise: current bleeding edge file sizes are ahead of a lot of computing power: I get ticked off that you can't get more than 4mb RAM in an Apple laptop without paying hostage prices and even then it doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

As to the photos. Love the first one though I suspect I'd really love it a lot if I could see it as nature intended in a huge print! The second one I find visually disturbing to be honest. It's not the composition or the exposure at all, it all makes for a very nice shot - but the second I saw it my brain told me something was wrong. I guess (you said there were three images but there are only two) that this is the one with Helicon focus and if so, it tells me I was maybe right to be suspicious of the idea. Like HDR software it is doing something so fundamentally digital to the file (in other words, something that replaces, as with HDR, stuff that is normally worked out subtly between the brain and the eye) that it sends 'beware' signals ringing in my brain. I can imagine using that effect creatively to unsettle but to me it looks unreal in a weird way...

Not being rude here at all, you are a top-flight chap and photographer, just raising the concern!

t

EDIT: Ok the third image just showed up on my monitor! Both two and three are mildly disturbing, rather Blair Witch. It reminds me of stuff I've been experimenting with using the Hartblei, trying to get the plane of focus on the forest floor so the trunks ascend into OOF but I have yet to get it exactly right and teh end result is a strange mix of what is and what is not in focus giving a warped or nightmarish effect that I hadn't intended but will no doubt find a use for!
    Last edited by tashley; 23rd February 2009 at 13:36.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

brings up a point...human vision does have a typically large apparent DOF, so wouldn't a photographic image with extended DOF via Helicon seem natural, compared to vision?

maybe it's those logs jutting into the foreground, the sort of thing that would make certain pics better candidate sfor a 3-D stereo image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process. I don't know, call me backward, but I have an inherent bias against things like stitching, focus stacking and things like that. I have a very basic sense of the uniqueness of each image -- each moment. Mushing a few together just strikes me as wrong for what I like to do. I am not against others doing it, but it no longer feels like photography to me...it feels like something else.

Of course, this does not take away from the effect -- I think the images Don posted are beautiful!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just to keep the thoughts going...what about forward tilting the film plane to get near/far focus for a landscape? or shifting to keep building edges vertical, even though they converge to the eye? (remember the greeks tapered their columns to accentuate the perspective of height!) plenty of instances from antiquity where perspective was tweaked to make things look...real (Pozzos ceiling comes to mind)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratura

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process. I don't know, call me backward, but I have an inherent bias against things like stitching, focus stacking and things like that. I have a very basic sense of the uniqueness of each image -- each moment. Mushing a few together just strikes me as wrong for what I like to do. I am not against others doing it, but it no longer feels like photography to me...it feels like something else.

Of course, this does not take away from the effect -- I think the images Don posted are beautiful!
    I agree with both the sentiment about capture and the thought that Don's pictures are exquisite.

I went for a walk this morning and would like to post a few one shot captures...

Alpa Apo Grandagon 45 H3DII 39

Bob
    Last edited by docmoore; 23rd February 2009 at 16:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process.
    Tim, each time you see someone call you "tashley", you should go home and thank your parents for having the good sense not to give you "Robert" as a middle name. That is, if they didn't...
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Another view of the lake...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Cove near the end

Bob