Thread: Fun with MF images

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Your toast. I know what you have buddy. LOL

Start sewing your pockets. LOL

It just works . Told ya
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This seems like a normal shot with just about everything else I've shot ... except for the idea that it's a 100% crop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the full shot at f2.8. Yowza ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll pm you later on the D3 vs. D300 issue. I think I made a mistake in selling the D3. It's a perfect complement.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will shoot the Phase more . Scary quality of that file .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt:

What lens did you use? It has an old Nikon look to it even though it is probably not a Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Robert, it's the Mamiya 80/2.8.

Kurt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,

The good news is that the WoW factor doesn't go away with time. I look at these images on the big screen in full rez and just shake my head in amazement. Been doing that for a few years now. This one with Sinar Hy6 and Rollei 180 2.8 AF...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How much sharpening did you do on that first one David? The edges of the flower actually look black...it is a bit jarring.

Post Thanks / Like

From this morning's walk. Rollei 6008AF, Sinar e54LV, ISO 50, 40mm f3.5 lens at f8

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    How much sharpening did you do on that first one David? The edges of the flower actually look black...it is a bit jarring.
    Stuart,

I did no sharpening whatsoever, at least not intentionally. A tiny tweak in levels and curves then resized with Jack's action. I don't see black edges in the original... perhaps jpeg compression. Here's another crop and I'm happy to share full rez Tiff's if you'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,
    Can you tell me what aperture you shot that 180/2.8 sample at?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eric,
    I was shooting them in series, f/4-8-11-16 and I can't recall which shot this was. My best guess is f/8.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't the f-stop be in the EXIF data?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    Wouldn't the f-stop be in the EXIF data?
    Unfortunately it is not and I really wish it were. I believe the exif data does not carry thru the conversion process when I use the Brumbaer tools. With Exposure I think it does. I will have to double check this.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to know about the EXIF data - would be great to know if that comes through in Exposure or not. Getting EXIF data is seriously one of the big reasons for me to upgrade the 6008 to the Hy6.

thsinar

It does (should).

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    With Exposure I think it does.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    It does (should).

Thierry
    Confirmed that Exposure does provide exif data, including aperture and shutter speed. It also delivers some lovely images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 180mm is a lovely lens...built like a tank too. Mine blew over in the 60mph Icelandic winds, landed hood first into gravel and never skipped a beat. It has some battle scars on the barrel from landing on the volcanic rocks, but it still works perfectly.

I am not sure what struck me about that first image...perhaps the palm fronds in the bokeh are a little jarring, but it is probably just the jpeg compression. That last one looks great.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart,
    I'm quite fond of this lens myself... gave up my Hasselblad 180 which was no slouch, in favor of this version. Having some AF issues with mine and was told it probably needs a firmware update. All the years I'm shooting and I never even knew lenses had firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Which begs the question how firmware is updated in lenses, Thierry?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty sure you have to send them in for this.

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    The reason why I asked you about the aperture is I have noticed some pentagonal aperture shaped flare or specular flare in your 180/2.8 images. You can see them in both the plant image (coming from the water drops) and the woman shot (light coming through the leaves in the trees). I've noticed on a few occasions these shapes in the flare but its been pretty rare so I've been studying what creates them and how to avoid them. I just did a test on the zeiss 110/2 an found them really only noticeable at f/4 and f/5.6 - they are round and not apparent at wider apertures and too tiny and soft to be noticed at the smaller apertures.

Actually it appears that the flare is better controlled with the schneider lenses in the rollei 6000 system but I think they all have the 5 bladed apertures. From the images posted here in the MF forum quite a few lenses have this including the mamiya and hasselblad images - so not just the rollei but all of the major MF systems. I don't like these and want to avoid them - and it appears by choosing apertures carefully you can. I have never seen these from my 180 but mostly shoot either wide open or at f/11.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is an area that Son is very familiar with. He's been busy with his graduation and family matters this past week but I'm sure as soon as he's settled he'll be willing to provide some lens suggestions which will avoid the pentagonal shaped flares. I noticed them myself but they don't bother me... in fact, I kind of like them.

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    No worries, while it wouldn't hurt to have an extra data point, I make an effort to test things out myself so I can both trust and understand the results. I've seen too many 'tests' on the forums where such and such is the best lens ever only to find out that lens happens to be one the tester has for sale.

Yeah in the shot of the Gehry building posted by Atanabe (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=69)
    the big pentagonal shaped flare is kind of cool - so sometimes I like it but most of the time I don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find that if you use the stop-down preview, you can see how the pentagonal aperture will look. I don't have it in front of me, but if I remember correctly, the 180/2.8 does not really get particularly pentagonal until f/5.6. Pretty much all medium format lenses have this issue -- the ones that don't are the 200 series FE lenses. This can lead to problems though. My 110/2 for the 200 series has a recurrent problem where the aperture blades jam. I have heard that many other people have had this problem as well. The problem is that there is very little room in the barrel to hold all the blades, and the complexity of the multi-blade iris along with the rather large lens diameter means that they are prone to jamming. They have a long way to travel too, compared to most other lenses... The 5 bladed irises are more compact and simpler when folded up, so I have a feeling this makes them more reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart,
    Thanks for the info on the different lens systems.

I've around a thousand frames with my 180/2.8 and never saw those pentagonal shapes. But I did have one or two frames with those in shots with my 110mm f/2 and I recently did some more controlled testing. Only at f/4 and f/5.6 were these pronounced and obvious. Certainly you still have the flare but at f/2.0 and f/2.8 you get circles which look more natural. I believe the rollei aperture blades are curved too which help with making the shapes more natural. From f/6.8 on down the shape gets smaller and lighter to the point where its difficult to see the outlines. And actually its difficult to get the flare in the first place - you have to shoot with the backlight off the lens axis by 20 or 30 degrees. Not sure you can do much about little shards of light coming from water drops except be aware that they can cause this and use either wide or small apertures if you want to avoid them.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

put the new Photo IR filter on a ZD back

Post Thanks / Like

This house has seen better days. Maybe 50km from Tallinn. Stitched pano, 40mm lens.

thsinar

You can buy it with the selling price of your grandmother and then renovate it.

Nice!

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    This house has seen better days. Maybe 50km from Tallinn. Stitched pano, 40mm lens.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,
    I like that pano as well as the 40mm that you used to take it. That house clearly has a story to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Really like what you are doing with your triple stitch pans using the Aptus and
    Horseman.
    When you are shifting with the 35mm and Aptus are you running into issues with
    varying colorcast across the frames?
    I've heard,and seen, that the Dalsa sensors used in the Leaf and Sinar products are
    a little less prone to color shift than the Kodak chips used in Phase and Blad and was
    wondering if you've had issues matching your three stitched frames in your pans.

I've had a little experience using Leafs Custom Gain feature to remove cast when
    using an Aptus22 on a Hasselblad ArcBody and Grandagon 45mm with decent result
    but haven't tried to generate multiple image pans.

Thx,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Question - how drastically do the AF vs MF versions of the Mamiya 80/2.8 differ optically?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    Jim

Really like what you are doing with your triple stitch pans using the Aptus and
    Horseman.
    When you are shifting with the 35mm and Aptus are you running into issues with
    varying colorcast across the frames?
    I've heard,and seen, that the Dalsa sensors used in the Leaf and Sinar products are
    a little less prone to color shift than the Kodak chips used in Phase and Blad and was
    wondering if you've had issues matching your three stitched frames in your pans.

I've had a little experience using Leafs Custom Gain feature to remove cast when
    using an Aptus22 on a Hasselblad ArcBody and Grandagon 45mm with decent result
    but haven't tried to generate multiple image pans.

Thx,
    Mark
    i have run into the color shift issue. Leaf Capture has the gain control software built in now. most of my stitches are horizontal, usually centered on the vertical plane.. so i have a single set of gain files that i use left, center,right shifts.

thsinar

hi Jim,

one question concerning the gain control built-in: can you apply it to as many files you want, or do you have to apply it file by file?

Also, can you create gain file un-tethered on location and then apply them?

If I understand, you are using some saved gain files which you have shot and saved: do you never have to create a specific gain file for the shot itself, because your pre-shot files don't work well?

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    i have run into the color shift issue. Leaf Capture has the gain control software built in now. most of my stitches are horizontal, usually centered on the vertical plane.. so i have a single set of gain files that i use left, center,right shifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    hi Jim,

one question concerning the gain control built-in: can you apply it to as many files you want, or do you have to apply it file by file?

Also, can you create gain file un-tethered on location and then apply them?

If I understand, you are using some saved gain files which you have shot and saved: do you never have to create a specific gain file for the shot itself, because your pre-shot files don't work well?

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry
    It has a batch capability.. so i load all of the images from each shift into one
    then apply the calibration file..it's pretty easy that way

the saved gain files need somewhat specific. .. either tethered or non-tethered. the camera type is different for some reason for each, and the gain calibrator requires them to be from the same camera type.

i have a set i took in general daylight in each of the orientations (top - 3 horiz. shifts, middle 3 horiz shifts, bottom - horiz shifts).

i'd imagine if the light temp were drastically diferent (day,tungsten,flor.) then you might have an issue

Their calibration wizard walks you thru it in a tethered mode (asking you to shoot each gain file as it walks you thru)

jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry

In my relatively limited experience using Leafs Gain Adjustment feature (standalone)
    on an Aptus22 I had no issues applying one gain adjustment file to a number of different
    shooting sessions providing the same lens and general shooting conditions were
    present.
    The one funky result was concerning physical dust on the sensor.
    If applying a generic correction to multiple files where dust spots were in a different place the resulting file would have some odd 'ghost' dust spots where the calibration
    file tried to remove dust that was not actually present resulting in a sort of
    'negative' dust spot

Mark

P.S.-Thanks for the info,Jim

thsinar

Thanks Mark!

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    Thierry

In my relatively limited experience using Leafs Gain Adjustment feature (standalone)
    on an Aptus22 I had no issues applying one gain adjustment file to a number of different
    shooting sessions providing the same lens and general shooting conditions were
    present.
    The one funky result was concerning physical dust on the sensor.
    If applying a generic correction to multiple files where dust spots were in a different place the resulting file would have some odd 'ghost' dust spots where the calibration
    file tried to remove dust that was not actually present resulting in a sort of
    'negative' dust spot

Mark

P.S.-Thanks for the info,Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yesterday, post thunderstorm.

Attachment 5047

Post Thanks / Like

Today the centre of Tallinn was invaded by a Finish 'old timer' truck club. Some lovely examples of trucks, but too crowded to take any decent pics. Some of the drivers were characters too:

40mm @f5.6, ISO 50
    http://www.graham-mitchell.com Graham Mitchell
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, that's got a nice vintage feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

are those shot on film or a digital back?

did you use a close up adapter or tubes or just got nice and close?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice photo Graham, am I crazy, or does that driver on the left have a bluetooth earpiece in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Nice photo Graham, am I crazy, or does that driver on the left have a bluetooth earpiece in?
    Both

thsinar

Very nice shot, Graham!

the bluetooth piece is really the top! Love it.

Thierry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taken with my Hasselblad 501CM, 80 CFE, Fuji Provia and scanned with an Epson 750 Pro. Converted to gray scale etc with PS CS3.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th March 2009 at 10:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more....same setup. As you can see, I like photos of old equipment etc and BW.

I'd love to be shooting this with the new 503CWD-II....sooner, rather than later.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th March 2009 at 10:13.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I like these kinds of images too and these seem very well done to me.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here's one:

Post Thanks / Like

That V750 does a nice job.