The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thank you folks - I appreciate the comments.

This was one of those typical Oregon spring days where the weather goes from overcast drabness, rain, snow, gale force winds, sunny intervals, more wind, more rain, grey again etc etc. I figured that I had to sit this one out because something was bound to happen at some point in the afternoon ...

Definitely a case of f/8 and being there. I was quite pleased with this straight out of Capture One with just levels although I'm sure it would benefit from some local adjustments in PS.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

More great images! Pity British Telecom have decided to mess up our broadband connection, or i might have seen some of them earlier:angry:

Quentin

2jbourret

Thank you folks - I appreciate the comments.

This was one of those typical Oregon spring days where the weather goes from overcast drabness, rain, snow, gale force winds, sunny intervals, more wind, more rain, grey again etc etc. I figured that I had to sit this one out because something was bound to happen at some point in the afternoon ...
Not to mention that this is a long, long way from anywhere, and after all that driving, you might as well stick around a while.

Paratom

Wife and I drove over to the Audubon Zoo in NOLA today with the kids... some snapshots and a wildlife image or two...

Shelby
Shelby,
allmost all the shots you post look really great to me, not only the composition but also the look you achieve-dont know how much is lens, how much sensor and f you have special post processing but they are just the right mixture of sharpness/detail/contrast and still smooth with very natural colors.
Cheers,Tom

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,
allmost all the shots you post look really great to me, not only the composition but also the look you achieve-dont know how much is lens, how much sensor and f you have special post processing but they are just the right mixture of sharpness/detail/contrast and still smooth with very natural colors.
Cheers,Tom
Thanks Tom... these comments mean a lot to me :)thumbup:) as the transition to MF has been a sometimes difficult one for me as far as processing.

I've finally decided that each image needs it's own special "love"... and that has helped a lot. No recipe, no regular process. I tend to tweak the raw file to maximize the histogram and then do the rest of the work in ps... including occasional local adjustments using feathered selections. I do sometimes select faces and adjust contrast/curves... and then invert the selection and adjust the non-facial areas EVER so slightly such that the face pops a bit. But I try very hard to do this as subtly as possible.

As far as color and b/w... I tend to go B/W unless the color really adds to the image.

Other than that, I think that the Aptus II sensor is great at achieving a very natural looking result... skin looks fantastic with it. It's the reason I went with the II 6 instead of the p30, even though the p30 would definitely be better for my shooting style. I do also think that the mamiya glass has a nice synergy with the lower resolution backs (mine is 28mp).

Thanks again... really appreciate the nice thoughts. :salute:
Shelby

Double Negative

Not Available
Here's a few from yesterday while walking the beach at lunch. Shot with the 503CWD and 2,8/80 Planar CF w/CPL. Mostly at ISO50, 1/250s @ f/8 or so - I ditched the PM5 for the WLF and just guessed exposure. More in the Long Beach, NY gallery.

baxter

Over a 2 week stay in West Cornwall, I was repeatedly drawn to St Michael's Mount and saw it in differing conditions from a number of viewpoints. Perseverence was rewarded with a return visit to shoot this idea.

This is a Helicon Focus stitch of 7 frames with the 80mmLS lens shot on a 645Df and P45+. I really wish that I had tilt facility to get it all sorted in camera!

Paratom

Thanks Tom... these comments mean a lot to me :)thumbup:) as the transition to MF has been a sometimes difficult one for me as far as processing.

I've finally decided that each image needs it's own special "love"... and that has helped a lot. No recipe, no regular process. I tend to tweak the raw file to maximize the histogram and then do the rest of the work in ps... including occasional local adjustments using feathered selections. I do sometimes select faces and adjust contrast/curves... and then invert the selection and adjust the non-facial areas EVER so slightly such that the face pops a bit. But I try very hard to do this as subtly as possible.

As far as color and b/w... I tend to go B/W unless the color really adds to the image.

Other than that, I think that the Aptus II sensor is great at achieving a very natural looking result... skin looks fantastic with it. It's the reason I went with the II 6 instead of the p30, even though the p30 would definitely be better for my shooting style. I do also think that the mamiya glass has a nice synergy with the lower resolution backs (mine is 28mp).

Thanks again... really appreciate the nice thoughts. :salute:
Shelby
Shelby,
thanks for those info and I was expecting it to be a mixture of a good photographer, post processing skills and sensor/lens.

And I admit that while I really like my S2 which replaced my Hy6-Sinar75LV I still find to see a natural look and skin colors from dalsa sensors which I love.
I am even looking in the used market al the time for Leaf and Sinar backs and if I might find a "breaking" deal might be back in with a digital back and dalsa sensor. Keep on posting...

Paratom

Great shot Graham. Very clever location. The thin blue rail vs long legs in jeans and rough wall on the right side vs. the fur vest.

Best, Hrannar
Totally agree.
And while I like those amazing landscapes your shots allways have a very "refreshing" and interesting something.

Mitchell

Baxter,

Great shot. I love not only the reflection, but also how the reflection pool mirrors the shape of the island.

I wonder if this could all be emphasized more by cropping below the reflection pool. I like it either way.

Best,

Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.