The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Yes, I'm pretty pleased with the kit right now. I got sucked in because the 24 and 35 XL had issues with the P65+. I knew they would be worse on the IQ180 and Dave helped get me upgraded to the HR glass. Who needs extra cash laying around anyway. ;)

Both the HR 23 and 32 are stellar. I thought I could get by without the CF on the 23 but finally bit the dust this week. With the CF the 23 my IQ180 images look awesome, and it's nice not fighting with light falloff or noise from using the LCC to bring it back. Slight color correction with the LCC and I'm good to go.

The HRs have a little distortion though, I would be curious to know how others deal with correcting it.
I'm almost at the point of calling it quits on the Alpa or maybe trying the HR lenses. The lens cast on the 35 is just so extreme I'm uncomfortable manipulating the data that much to try and make it right. I can prob. live with it on the 47xl, but not the 35. I also miss going wider than 35 ... I love the wide view of my Phase 28.

So I might try those two lenses ... or I may just accept what the DF can give me and call it good.

Wayne, did you have any trouble with the reds in this image. They look great.
Actually some pretty serious creative license on the reds here. Only about 5 stops of dynamic range in the image, so reds were pretty lifeless. After expanding out the range, I used a couple of color edits to pull the red density down considerable, giving me much more contrast with the white tree trunk.

I saw some really intense reds in some images from arches but realized my preset was using a p65+ profile which may explain it. The waterfall pictures also seemed to have some over saturated reds, but then again the rocks there were pretty red.

At this point I'm happy with the reds, even if there is a slight red issue. In red rock country, nothing wrong making the reds redder :) I don't shoot any color critical work at all.

still not sure about the color shift I'm getting from top to bottom of the sensor with pretty much every lens I use.

Last edited:

PeterA

Thanks Jack ! I have decided to have a go at doing some landscape work starting with some city scapes - a new world for me!

- I saw you mentioned you had a 23mm Rodenstock on your shopping list - mine arrived with my artec and this is a quick snap from in front of my house on the wekend. This is a crop using maybe 65% of the real -estate avaliable..100 ISO roughly 5 seconds @ F8 some desaturation in LR and a touch of gradient masking.

Pete

PeterA

Thanks Woody - btw lovely shot of the terminal I'd like to photogrpah that scene one day, and perfect use of an Alpa.

dick

From recent trip to Banff and Jasper NP's.
Maligne Lake - Cambo WDS, 72mm, P45+

As others have said - this is a wonderful picture... landscape photography is largely about being in the right place at the right time with the right kit.

Most (wide angle) landscapes, I consider, would have been better taken with a longer focal length... did you take (or consider taking) alternative versions of this with longer lenses?

What shutter speed did you use ¿I am wondering if the reflections might have been clearer with a shorter exposure?

macoberly

Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

Dick, I did shoot different focal lengths a bit earlier before the colors really started to pop. If I want tighter framing than I have to put my DB on the phase body and all that. I've really tried to slow my shooting down lately because often times I don't get to enjoy the scene with my own eyes because I'm fiddling with camera parts. There was not a lot I could do about smoothing the water out due to ducks coming and going and breezes. Shot was @ 1/15, f/11, iso 50.

M>

kuau

Workshop Member
Taken yesterday with my Hy6, Leaf Aptus II 7 afi, and Zeiss 50mm F4 at Ruth Lake in Utah's High Unitas mountains.
Steven

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Most (wide angle) landscapes, I consider, would have been better taken with a longer focal length... did you take (or consider taking) alternative versions of this with longer lenses?
Are you suggesting shooting a tighter crop with a longer lens or longer lens/stitching?

I love the image and the immensity and grandeur it portrays ... I can easily envision it as a 8 or 10 foot wide print ... breathtaking if it has the resolution to hold up (which with the p45 probably would be pretty good).

Status
Not open for further replies.