Site Sponsors
Page 34 of 386 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 19263

Thread: Fun with MF images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Very nice. I would have a ball in that place, I bet. Too bad it is so far away.
    Carsten - Website

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just love MF . Okay not my ideal photo shoot but money is money. Bottom line we all need money. Actually this is a normal client I do a lot of work for BUT like everything else you have to do all of there work. LOL

Honestly though I could hang out in the studio all day long just shooting. Lot of airbrushing here , tons of scratches. One thing I love about MF and the key word is clean. The files are just something else, no BS just pure high end data. Bad part you have to clean up after yourself in the studio. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We've had some beautiful cloudy skies here in Tucson today so couldn't pass up the chance to play. The image was taken from State Trust Land that's very near by home. I had a couple of items I wanted to test today; would this area be suitable for a sunset image, would the area be suitable for lightning, and how close I could crop into an image and still get something I'd like. The image was taken with my Cambo RS1000, P45+ and 72mm lens. While I like both my lens I'll be ordering a 120 very shortly (Chris are you there??)

Anyway let me explain what I did here. The first image is almost as is, I did crop a little of the sky; the second was cropped to bring the structures in closer.

And a special note for Jack - no snakes or flashlights - that's my signature!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had the following thought/feeling as I was posting the images from today.

There is without a doubt some very talented photographers here and I feel a sense of pride in being allowed to post along with you all. The work presented here constantly raises the bar for me to keep up.

Thank you all.

We'll now return to our normal programming....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another from today...

Cambo RS1000 35mm P45+ two images 20mm left and 20mm right. Kinda like the way this turned out...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don:

To answer your first question, I think the location above would be great for lightening, but maybe kind of "vanilla" for a sunset?

The B&W above, I really like!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    This shot is NOT medium format, it's a relic of a trip to Kansas last summer with my Canon 1DsIII. I just like this board so much, I figured you guys would forgive my misstep in order to fulfill the greater good of sharing work.

I found this juxtaposition to be a rather interesting look at our industrial side. In the foreground are the railroad tracks that carry the corn and supplies to and from factories. The middle landscape is corn that we use to feed cattle and produce energy via ethanol. In the distance is a factory that uses both of these elements. And all around is an otherwise peaceful hot day in rural Kansas.
    Love that one Justin. And I second the Fine Art description. Dead cool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like that panorama, Don. Did you do anything special to the sky?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jack - I totally agree with you re the Biosphere image; it'd look good with lightning but just too pedestrian for anything else.

What I really learned from this outing was that I could really use a 120 for my Cambo. Okay do I rethink selling the 28 or do I begin offering protection services for the folks picking up cans?

Carsten - This is another example of where I let the image take me where it wanted/should go. I shot this at the extreme limits of the 35mm lens which in this case is 20mm left/right figuring I'd get some sort of vignetting. I did an LCC in C1 then opened the images in CS4 where I stitched them into the panorama and started working on the color. I couldn't get the sky the way it needed to go so after duplicating and flatting the image I converted to B&W then into IR and began playing with the sliders till I got it as close as I could. I then duplicated the image, flatten it then began working with selective colors till the image told me to stop. Yes, I talk to my images (doesn't everyone?) I found the more I worked in white (for the clouds)the more it started to pop on the ground.

I know you asked a question about the sky and I may have gone on too much - much like someone telling you how to build a clock when all you asked for was the time...

The sky was just beautiful yesterday and I'm glad I took the time to scout this area out as today's sky is very flat. Even more so I came away with a great image.

Thanks for the comments as it's help make my mind up regarding the image.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    So, now is my photographic winter officially over!
    No more winter pictures. No more blue fingers and feet without any feeling left in the toes and ears that has frozen to ice. I will not miss it!

But some were in the middle of July I will be bored to death with hard light an hopeless contrast, cursing the mosquitos and beginning to look forward to the next winter...

Ray

RZ Pro ll/350 mm APO, P45
    Ray, I've been meaning to tell you how much I like this image. Reminds me of a whale tale.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank´s Don for those kind word´s
    I must say that I do find your work inspiring for my nature photography!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Abstracts with strange methodology!

One of England's finest and largest bluebell woodlands is near where I live and is incredibly beautiful not only to look at but to sniff! I've become spoilt over the years and have taken loads of fairly conventional shots but this year I decided that the real thrill is the interplay of colour and light rather than the specifics of leaf, bark and bell. I've been waiting for a misty dawn or a moony night to play with but go there today in regular pleasant weather and thought that I'd have a go at making the abstraction to colours via in-camera methods only. I'm not a great fan of 'fun with filters' so I ban trips to Photoshop other than for soft-proofing and so on, preferring to do as much as I can in camera and RAW development.

I tried two methods. Both involved 1 second exposures which I achieved by using a polarising filter as ND, and F22 on the Scheider 35XL/Cambo RS1000.

For the first I merely twisted the vertical levelling knob on my Frotto head during the exposure then turned the result on its side. I did use lens distortion correction in Photoshop, since this method creates a slight hourglass effect on the stripes of colour and I preferred them straighter.

For the second shot I set the camera to 10mm of rise and then released the shutter as I evenly returned the lens to zero shift during exposure. Easier said than done. I then tweaked some sliders on the result and cropped.

But I quite like the results. Just printing now... they look a bit gimmicky for my taste but I'm sure I can refine the effects over time.

Both on a Phase P45+ at ISO 50

Best

Tim

Attachment 15371

Attachment 15370

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tim - Like the second image better than the first.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tim, I also prefer the second image. As I type this I'm printing up a few of my painted light series taken with my 45+ on an H2. Use various shutter speeds coupled with camera movement. I don't do "manipulation" in Photoshop as that is just not my bag, but for me camera movement is OK. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I prefer the second image as well. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys (and Girls!)

I prefer the second one too though now I have settled on final crops that look best in print and it's actually the first one I prefer in this case...

Eleanor, how do you achieve your camera movements? I'm just off to your site to take a look at your work.

Best

Tim

Attachment 15389

Attachment 15390

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, Camera movements are really easy (but definitely don't always give decent results!)...hand held and try different shutter speeds. I've learned that certain type of movements with camera giver certain results...ie: "up and down smooth, up and down jerky, down smooth, also vary the length of the strokes gives different results. always a challenge. I don't like photoshopping using filters and software "tricks" but using my camera for effects is OK in my mind. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks Guys (and Girls!)

I prefer the second one too though now I have settled on final crops that look best in print and it's actually the first one I prefer in this case...

Eleanor, how do you achieve your camera movements? I'm just off to your site to take a look at your work.

Best

Tim

Attachment 15389

Attachment 15390

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Doing some other work this morning and decided to take a creative break and decided to finish this image.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Great image Don!

The best decision you could take this morning

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, that 2nd is georgous.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Doing some other work this morning and decided to take a creative break and decided to finish this image.

Don
    Don, that's simply lovely - such fine and subtle light and so simply done.

We must compare notes on the RS1000 sometime. Do you find that it sometimes slips (with the help of a passing hand) into a few mm of rise or fall? I sometimes find after working for half an hour or so that it's at plus or minus a bit and that I don't know when that happened. :-(

Otherwise I love it. I screw it onto the tripod and then carry the whole thing with me from place to place, with nothing else other than an LCC sheet. No light meter, no finder, no spare anything. It's great!

Best

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Tim, that 2nd is georgous.
    Thanks Ben, you're very kind!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Tim, Camera movements are really easy (but definitely don't always give decent results!)...hand held and try different shutter speeds. I've learned that certain type of movements with camera giver certain results...ie: "up and down smooth, up and down jerky, down smooth, also vary the length of the strokes gives different results. always a challenge. I don't like photoshopping using filters and software "tricks" but using my camera for effects is OK in my mind. Eleanor
    I think for the moment I am getting the most interesting results on a tech camera by moving the rear standard during exposure: I like the exact lines of smear it produces. It's just hard to do smoothly.

I looked at you site and greatly enjoyed it but my favourite picture of yours altogether is CF001562-2 (the barn with the stars and stripes). I really wished I'd taken that one; It would really fit my current project. Me jealous!

Best

Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Peter & Tim thank you both for the kind words.

Tim, I've gotten into the habit of checking the zero before I shoot as well as the shutter as both have a tenacity to move while in the bag or as I taken it out of the bag. I figure it's just another joy of shooting with a technical camera.

I'm getting such good work from my RS1000 that I'm beginning to start thinking about selling my Phase AFD and lens.

I've just finished an update on my blog addressing the Cambo RS1000 and P45+. I think it'll be a two parter as I failed to address capture work flow.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting such good work from my RS1000 that I'm beginning to start thinking about selling my Phase AFD and lens.

Don
    Ditto... I am enjoying my 5DII so much more than the 1DSIII I sold and finding that its use for me rather overlaps the Phamiya. I'm slowly realizing that the Cambo unlocks the potential of the back in a way the Phamiya less frequently achieves (in my hands and for my purposes!)

I've just finished an update on my blog addressing the Cambo RS1000 and P45+. I think it'll be a two parter as I failed to address capture work flow.

Don
    I'll take a look... thanks!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting...
    I find myself usig the P45+ more with the Cambo than with the Phamiya,
    The 5DII is a real dslr (just the right caliber for fast moving small animals and young children)
    The streets still are owned by the M8.
    at least for me
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Interesting...
    I find myself usig the P45+ more with the Cambo than with the Phamiya,
    The 5DII is a real dslr (just the right caliber for fast moving small animals and young children)
    The streets still are owned by the M8.
    at least for me
    -bob
    Bob, you are a man of impeccable taste and credentials, clearly! My current mains squeezes are

* P45+ with Cambo for MF
    * 5DII with assorted glass, especially an R 50 Cron for 'slr' type stuff
    * Pentax K20D for surfing shots (I have a nice telephoto for it)
    * M8 for street and anything requiring gorgeous bokeh
    * Panny G1 for lazy outings where anything might happen but the intent is not photographic
    * Sigma DP1 in the glovebox
    * Ricoh GRDII for drunken nights out (it slow sync is verrry cool!)
    * Sony W300 with housing for fun in/under water use

The Sony can make very large and exciting prints when the wind is in the right direction and is a real sleeper

And Guy thinks he's a gear slut. Boy oh boy!

;-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my 1Ds II that I use for the occasional wildlife and lightning images other than that the Cambo RS is my go to camera.

Okay I'll admit I also carry a G9 in my pocket for fun shots.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don

This is very very nice, Don. And I like this version of your signature better too!

Post Thanks / Like

Adding my voice to the group: Beautiful image, Don.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Bob, you are a man of impeccable taste and credentials, clearly! My current mains squeezes are

* P45+ with Cambo for MF
    * 5DII with assorted glass, especially an R 50 Cron for 'slr' type stuff
    * Pentax K20D for surfing shots (I have a nice telephoto for it)
    * M8 for street and anything requiring gorgeous bokeh
    * Panny G1 for lazy outings where anything might happen but the intent is not photographic
    * Sigma DP1 in the glovebox
    * Ricoh GRDII for drunken nights out (it slow sync is verrry cool!)
    * Sony W300 with housing for fun in/under water use

The Sony can make very large and exciting prints when the wind is in the right direction and is a real sleeper

And Guy thinks he's a gear slut. Boy oh boy!

;-)
    Cannot add in the moment WRT MF (simply because I need to buy one - lucky me), but it will likely be a Phase or Haselblad solution.

But on the rest:

1) 5D2 is my favorite DSLR, much preferred to my Nikon stuff I am slowly selling ....
    2) M8 for street and people shots, great system once you learn how to deal with the issues
    3) Panasonic or Dlux4/Dlux3 P&S, the G10 I owned went very fast for sale again, I just did not like the operation of this camera

WRT tech camera - not sure yet, but this is another appealing version if I go with a Phase system and thus with a Phase back (most probably the P45+ for its great price / performance / IQ combination)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Adding my voice to the group: Beautiful image, Don.
    Thank you Dale

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some color play in the yard, this one in the shade

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another, glancing light

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another ancient crane

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the bowl room with a couple of hull templates on the wall, probably been hanging there for 70 years

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, John. The bowl room is very cool. I like the light that you captured there. That space looks like one could spend hours there photographing any number of things. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John , these shots are really gorgeous ; I do particuliary appreciate the colors and rust textures. Do you set AWB, or do a manual greycard recording when shooting ? In fact I'm sure these shots are plenty of rust details.
    Since I'm looking at this thread, you have a serious series on this (boat, shipyard, ...)

thanks for sharing.

stephane
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

From a portrait session this morning:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous portraits, Graham! Is that a 150mm for the first and 50mm for the second?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Gorgeous portraits, Graham! Is that a 150mm for the first and 50mm for the second?
    Thanks! First shot using 80mm @f2.8, second shot using 40mm @f3.5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I thought about the 40mm for the second one, due to the proximity of the piano on the right, but I would have expected to see some distortion somewhere. Good lens.
    Carsten - Website

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for the props.
    i was shooting raw with the P20 iso 50, set to daylight,processed in C1, no color adjustment was used, just a tweak of the exposure curve
    that bowl room shot was a 4 sec exposure at f8

i have been shooting in the navy yard for quite some time, and still find something interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The natural light is beautiful. Good portraits, handheld or tripod ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well john,
    the daylight WB preset gives you really good results. From my part I do prefer using the greycard shot to be sure of the colors.
    Especially with landscape photo, I don't at this time manage to have the colors of that particular tropical light we've got here with the P25+ ; even at sunset, the light is hard, and the colors difficult to render.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steflaurent974 View Post
    The natural light is beautiful. Good portraits, handheld or tripod ?
    Thanks - it's mostly not natural light, but I'm glad you thought so I was shooting handheld to experiment with compositions and once I had the framing I wanted, it was on the tripod (so these shots are tripod mounted). It was really necessary this time as the piano shot required 0.5s exposure to get the windows looking bright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Job's done, your lightings are really soft and delicate.

ddk

Beautiful portraits Graham, love the warm tones in the first one.

One question, was the piano really called estonia or is that your pp?

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, those are a treat. Really lovely!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    One question, was the piano really called estonia or is that your pp?
    Well spotted - there really is such a brand and it is known worldwide (at least in the piano community). http://www.estoniapiano.com/