The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

macoberly

Holy crap! I just heard a giant CHA-CHING!!! - which is the sound of my bank account being drained as I cannot look at this photo and remain on the fence about getting into MF :bugeyes:

You sir are an evil tempter of a man, but a great photographer :D

Cheers,
Thats funny Joe. I remember a few years back in your same position.

M>

S

Shelby Lewis

Holy crap! I just heard a giant CHA-CHING!!! - which is the sound of my bank account being drained as I cannot look at this photo and remain on the fence about getting into MF :bugeyes:

You sir are an evil tempter of a man, but a great photographer :D

Cheers,
This is funny... I've not had any time to shoot my MF equipment the last 3 or 4 months and was actually considering selling mine to finance my expanding need for performance photography related equipment.

Then I took it with me to San Francisco this week and, although my stuff above pales in comparison to other shots on this thread, my mind was made up up that my MF stuff was going stay. Even if the 35mm stuff passes it up in megapixels, the file quality off those big CCD sensors is just yummy.

This one's a bit big... so I think it scales down a bit in the post. Open it in a new window for the full file (I need to go back a downsize it a bit).

S

Shelby Lewis

Great images - I like the combination of the set - sort of a kaleidoscope view of a city -

Also when you get a chance, can we see some 100% crops from your pano - I always enjoy savouring that fantastic resolution.

mal
Thanks... I'll try to get some 100% when i get into this one a bit more.
Cheers!

etrump

Mac, that is incredible. We were trying to decide between Maui/Kauai and Banff/Jasper. Hawaii won out but Banff and Moraine lake is on my short list. I can only hope to get a look as nice as this.

:thumbs:

G

Googaliser

Typhoon over Hong Kong
IQ180, SK 55mm, ISO 50 out of a jumbo window.
M

Last edited:

dick

Challenge with MF to get those tighter compositions, compression, and atmospheric effects etc. is there are not many good lens options.
A good 1 degree lens for a 50mm sensor would be transportable, and expensive, and more of a sport/wildlife tool... but the Hassy 300 is a useful tool, and I am thinking of getting an apo-digitar 210mm... but, as you say, for landscapes, atmospheric haze tends to nullify the benefits of the quality of the lens.

Architectural street photography is one of the main applications I envisage for the 210... and it is beginning to look as if I might be able to get my herbal medication sorted so that I can get something done.

etrump

[Originally Posted by Googaliser
Typhoon over Hong Kong
IQ180, SK 55mm, ISO 50 out of a jumbo window.
M]​

What the .... you just happened to have a MF camera in your pocket whilst flying! Amazing, especially shot through a window!
Ditto!

Completely amazing and even more amazing the window was clear enough to capture it.

G

Googaliser

What the .... you just happened to have a MF camera in your pocket whilst flying! Amazing, especially shot through a window!
Ditto!

Completely amazing and even more amazing the window was clear enough to capture it.
Thanks Guys - I was on my way back from a work assignment in the UK. Fortunately a rare upgrade meant I was in the nose of the plane - three super clean windows and my 645DF in its small Kata rucksack. I had heard that a Typhoon was in or around HK - and couldn't believe my luck when I saw the supercell on descent. We were still at over 30,000 feet - this thing was massive. The dynamic range of the IQ is what really blows me away. F/7.1 1/640 manual focus at infinity - so any window crud was out of focus.
M

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Like he's going check that baby too. :D

Nice job btw, I normally have to sneak pics with my phone or P&S on these types of flights. Sometimes the views are outstanding, although your scene is pretty special. Nice to cut through the nose grease too.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50

ghoonk

Hi everyone

I just got into the world of digital MF, and have been shooting with an AFD II with Aptus 65S back for the last 2 weeks or so.

I'm based out of Dubai and have been active in motorsport photography and concert photography, shooting with a Nikon D3s and a D700 FF digital system. I've come to love MF since I picked up a 500CM months ago, and have found my way into a MFDBs, so here are a couple of shots from recent photowalks

A local Emirati gentleman who was sitting along a street in Satwa in the old part of Dubai. Most gracious of him to let me take his pic. ISO400, 1/320s, f4, 210mm ULD

There's always time for prayer

Room for one more...shot at 1/180, f4, ISO400, 210mm ULD

This one was shot at the Deira Creek wharfage. A very friendly and sporting gentleman who was all too willing to have us capture him in his natural environment ;) ISO400, 1/140s, f3.6, 150mm lens. The original image was so sharp that I could tell the time on his watch

Portrait of an Iranian sailor - ISO200, 1.230s, f9, 150mm

Last one for now - this guy just reminded me of the king in '300'.. shot at 1/800s, f3.6, ISO400 with the 150mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.