The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

portrait of one of my wife's figurines... loving the look of the rz glass (even though the front bokeh isn't near as nice as the rear)

aptus ii 6, RZ IID, 110/2.8

Graham W,

Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the 6' print.

Robb Williamson

Portland Japanese Garden - yes, that tree ... snuck out this afternoon to see what it looked like with the intention of shooting it tomorrow with the Alpa. I got dumped on with rain and the canopy was getting sparse so it looks like I'll have to live with this one for this year.

IQ160 645DF 35mm 1.6s f/14

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Only on a Sunday

Hi Tim
For what it's worth . . .
Not convinced. the iPhone shot has difficult edges . . . the X100 shot is messy to the extent that it spoils it . . . and the 3 shot HDR, although superficially and technically better . . . doesn't have any soul.

Seems to me like a classic example of less is more - you've see this fantastic scene, so you've applied experience and equipment to capture it. The iPhone shot ought to be best because it has spontaneity . but the kit wasn't up to it.

Shouldn't you have been taking the dog for a walk with your M9 and a 28 'cron?

That way you'd have got the quality and the spontaneity.

Just asking (and playing devils advocate a little).

I guess my basic feeling is that your photographs mean that I can recognise that you say it was a fab view . . . and they may even reflect that view, but, to me, they don't convey it.

I feel I can say this, because I like so many of your other shots so much.

I think I better stop digging :ROTFL:
No no, keep digging; when you get deep enough I'll give you a little shove...:ROTFL:

I largely agree with you: on #1, a Steichen-like feel doesn't excuse an untidy composition. #2 is too untidy and not moody or emotional enough: autumn colours have a visceral emotional impact on me and a 'straight' photo isn't
enough to recreate that. #3 isn't exactly what I had in mind but I have been making it a little looser and have a print of it that really glows.

The problem with MF as I have often mused here is that it encourages a very static approach and too often the results really show that. I have a truly profound allergy to the Joe Cornish look and that is where MF often leads.... to a photo that looks exactly like the scene itself but with a graduated sky.

You and I prefer a more fluid and interpretative approach. BUT... I quite like this one because where I can really get into MF is when it forces you to contemplate a shot for so long that you really enter into the mood you want to make from it and this one sort of does that for me. Not 100% for sure but much more than most I've done. Making a sketch with an iPhone whist walking (and using Viewfinder Pro app to get the framing) then doing a 'maquettte' with a more or less FF camera before going for the Full Monty with the MF system is a way I could get used to working. Contemplative and slow to counter the spontaneous style I historically have gone for... I prefer my M system for events and street these days.

Anyhow... Comments much appreciated. How the devil are you?
X
T

Paratom

Re: Only on a Sunday

No no, keep digging; when you get deep enough I'll give you a little shove...:ROTFL:

The problem with MF as I have often mused here is that it encourages a very static approach and too often the results really show that. I have a truly profound allergy to the Joe Cornish look and that is where MF often leads.... to a photo that looks exactly like the scene itself but with a graduated sky.

You and I prefer a more fluid and interpretative approach. ......
Anyhow... Comments much appreciated. How the devil are you?
X
T
I totally agree with you regarding this comment (regarding the static approach of MF) and its something I am trying to "fight" myself all the time (with not so much success ;) )
However again and again we can see prooves here that this doesnt have to be the case. Besides some of your images I find for example the images from Graham to proove the opposite.

Often I prefer the first intuitive image I take of a scene vs the following images where I try to "optimize" compostion. My goal is to switch off brain more often when photographing.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In Death Valley for a long weekend - Morning on the Playa / Salt Creek
IQ160 ALPA STC SK 35 1/4s f/11

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

graham: amazing dof; what did focus mask show you?
Stunning image, Graham.

35mm @ f11 and all seems sharp, from a couple of meters to infinity: isn't it?

Thierry
Ah, if it were only so ... it's a focus stack of 4 shots from 5ft to the horizon. All 35mm at f/11 though! ;)

With the SK 35 I can get from 10ft to infinity at pixel peeping quality. For a print it's a lot less sensitive, especially since I'm scaling down with the IQ160 to fit the paper. Had I used my P25+ though it would have been as Thierry described as in from my toes to infinity pretty much. :thumbup:

I'm so quick at this these days that I'm not sure that a tilt would have been 'better' although obviously it would have saved on the CPU and disk storage of the intermediary images and the helicon focus stack.

Oh btw, it's not sharpened beyond the initial default capture sharpening in C1 Pro and remains tack sharp in the full 100% scale image ... now THAT impresses me with the Schneider technical glass.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Another from Death Valley - Dante's View Panoramic

IQ160 Alpa STC 35 XL Digitar 1/15s f/11 - 2x 10mm shift stitch.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I love the salt creek photo. The contrast between the sky and the white ground, and the depth provided by the mountain range in the distance is amazing.

GrahamWelland

BTW the IQ 160 is fitting you very nicely. Glad I twisted both legs and arms on this one. ROTFLMAO
Actually, it's lucky that I'm single otherwise I'd have had more than my arms & legs twisted! :eek: It was a leap but I absolutely agree that it was the right choice in the end. As I'm sure it is with other IQ users, I absolutely love using this thing although I still lose a day of life expectancy every time I rotate the back on the Alpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.