Thread: Fun with MF images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

here are my first shots with the Artec and 35mm HR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

one more (I know- I have to improve white shading in this case)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images Jim -- *love* the interesting architecture from Seattle!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

Did you use movements for any of those? Love to see a shift and a tilt image with some crops.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jim - all the images are simply great. The one that grabs me the most is the first posted from Seattle. Reminds me of images from the space shuttle.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tom,

Did you use movements for any of those? Love to see a shift and a tilt image with some crops.
    I have used horicontal and vertical shift in some (tilt only in 1 or 2 which I have not posted) but the bad thing is I didnt write down so I cant really tell now and it doesnt show in the exif
    I tried to not shift more than max 12mm when I shiftet only one axes, and less when I shiftet 2.
    Rodenstock says 8mm but Rainer V. wrote 12 mm shood work fine even without stopping down.
    I plan to run some tests in the near future and can post results - its just that I hate test shooting - its so boaring. But I shall learn and know how far to go and what to get.

Overall it was really fun to use the Artec, even though most of these I could have taken with the Hy6 (and a very high tripod) as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jennifer from last Friday's shoot
    Attachment 18708
    -bob
    Nice lighting job Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    2 frame pano with moire
    rollei.40mm/P20
    Great color Jim. Looks very natural and the dynamic range in the sky is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Three shot stitch. P45, Cambo RS, 72mm XL.

Ed

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks, Ed. the 9 micron sensor is a boon to dynamic range and color. for some reason the raw came in at 3800K, so i did a WB pick off the clouds and it corrected to 6000. I left it alone after that.

like the colors in your pano!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Three shot stitch. P45, Cambo RS, 72mm XL.

Ed
    Ed,

great pano!

I used a similar combination in Monument Valley 2 weeks ago and the panos coming from that are just stunning!

I will continue that way!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I *love* that cruise ship shot! Cruise ships aren't really my cup of tea, but that shot is gorgeous.

Tom, congratulations on getting the arTec up and running, I like the last, yellow shot a lot.

Ed, great pano! Is there some kind of artifact in the trees on the shoreline nearer the right side? There is some kind of dark-light thing going in with an odd shape.

Here is my first MF digital post. Taken on Rügen, near Sassnitz, on a path to the chalk cliffs:

Attachment 18758
    Carsten - Website

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay on what planet was I on when you bought a digital back. So spill the beans, what did you finally decide on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post

Here is my first MF digital post. Taken on Rügen, near Sassnitz, on a path to the chalk cliffs:
    Carsten:

Definitely conveys a gloomy area in the woods. I am a little confused by this image as it appears the center greenery is the main subject, but it also appears very out of focus and the overall image is pretty dark? I am curious if this soft, dark look is by design, or perhaps the central focus area is in a darker area of the image I cannot discern? (It is difficult to tell where exact focus is in the full jpeg as posted.) What lens did you use?
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HTML Code:
    ...first MF digital post...
    I missed the memo regarding the meeting so I must of missed the announcement. When did this take place? Come on spill the beans....

By the way lovely image in a soft, slightly blurry way.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, great pano! Is there some kind of artifact in the trees on the shoreline nearer the right side? There is some kind of dark-light thing going in with an odd shape.
    Carsten, I don't see what you are talking about. Could be the different reflection in the cove protected a little better from the breeze???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of curiousity here I bought Tom's old e54 (which is not old at all; it still has 2 1/2 years warranty), and he moved up to the e75. I decided that it was the back I wanted, and that the long exposures would just have to wait.

It, like the Phase backs (and all backs?), comes in a ballistic-quality case, with firewire cable and other sundries. The adapter was a used (but as-new) unit from Sinar, for my Contax. I plan to add a Hasselblad adapter with time, for use on my 2000FC/M.

I use the 35/3.5 and 120/4 Macro lenses most of the time, and the above shot was taken with the Macro, wide open. The forest is dark, and in our stress packing for our first large trip with 9-month-old Caroline, and my last-minute purchase of the Kata R-103, I was fiddling with how the Kata system works, and managed to forget strapping on my tripod, so I am shooting what I can, hand-held, at ISO 50 and 100. This shot was at 100.

I am still learning the software and workflow, but I think I pretty much got my own workflow figured out, at least for now. I don't have my Huey Pro here, so I am not sure how well calibrated my MacBook Pro is. I am struggling with wildly differing light levels in the places I can edit, so the above shot ended up coming out too dark. Any tips on how to deal with this are very welcome. Additionally, it looks like there is lots of vignetting, but that is just nature. The 120/4 Macro doesn't vignette at all, that I have seen. Here is a lighter version:

Attachment 18778
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten:

Okay, that explains it LLOLOL!

First off, at least in my experience, the 120 macro does vignette pretty significantly when used wide open. Stop it down two, and it is very even -- but agree there is a lot of natural vignette in the above composition too.

Looks now like the intended focus point was around the base of the tree?

As for editing, all I can say is get to areas that have more normal lighting. Again IME, the MBP's profile pretty well -- not as well as a good external monitor through a good video card, but still good enough to edit for the web with.

Ironically, I prefer the first version -- being oof on the greenery combined with the very dark, it has a kind of pinhole-ish look and has a more artsy feel. Go figure!

My .02,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten playing in the wide open arena in MF can be a dangerous task. It is extremely thin DOF even here in this scene F8 would have given almost the same look. I know your coming from the M8 but think DOF as a almost three stop difference. It takes awhile to get used to that thinking. Not that any of the lenses are bad wide open , I actually have 3 lenses that are killer wide open it is just very hard to nail exactly the point you want. Here in this case and this scene you do not really have a strong focal point to zero in on or not close enough to draw the eye towards the sharpest point in the image. So sometimes wide open does not work as effectively as you want given the subject. No let's say for argument sake you had a flower coming out of the bark of that tree ( not likely I know) but than it would be the focal point or a point that stands out. So in this case i may have went for the whole trunk of the tree at a little lower F stop.

Really takes some time to get used to the Fstop versus subject but even at F11 with that 120 focused on the eye of a person the ears will go soft. So even at that kind of F stop it still is thin with DOF. Same seen with a M8 at F11 with a eye the whole background would come in. So in essence a completely different ball game your dealing with. One trick is don't think about the number that will just screw you up. Hope that helps and I wish you the best going forward with this. I know you waited a long time and the results will be worth it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When shooting models, f/11 is about as wide you can go unless you want something to go soft with the 150mm at about 8-10 feet. f/16 is a bit more forgiving if sharpness nosetip to ears is required. It also means that you need twice the flash power.
    At f/11 you have only about 7 inches behind the point of focus and at f/16 you have 11.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 30th June 2009 at 09:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I *love* that cruise ship shot! Cruise ships aren't really my cup of tea, but that shot is gorgeous.

Tom, congratulations on getting the arTec up and running, I like the last, yellow shot a lot.

Attachment 18758

Carsten, this is one of my favourite photos I've seen here... it's has such subtle, carefully observed light and composition and is very evocative. Just lovely.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    one more (I know- I have to improve white shading in this case)
    I like this one a lot. It's kind of surreal.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First off, at least in my experience, the 120 macro does vignette pretty significantly when used wide open. Stop it down two, and it is very even
    With the 120mm fall off is 0.8 EV wide open. At f5.6 it's 0.15EV and this is the same fall off at all apertures (f8, f11, f16). So sensor-weise. 1 stop is enough to even the capture.
    (all regarding chip size of the P45)

Post Thanks / Like

Carsten:

Ironically, I prefer the first version -- being oof on the greenery combined with the very dark, it has a kind of pinhole-ish look and has a more artsy feel. Go figure!
    I'm with Jack. One of the temptations with MF gear is to use it like a lab instrument, screwing every last drop of resolution out of it. You've used it quite lyrically here instead and I like that focus is not on the brightest part. If it were me I might go even further and add a little vig bottom right!

It's gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Really takes some time to get used to the Fstop versus subject but even at F11 with that 120 focused on the eye of a person the ears will go soft.
    Guy is so right. I've been using a manual focus 150mm on my Phamiya in the studio and as this shot of my nephew at F11 shows, there is NO DOF. The whole shot is a bit cropped, the eye (which is where I focussed) is at 100% as is the hair showing focus fall off on the left side at the same level as the eye. The poor lad was about three metres away.

This stuff requires such care to use well!

Attachment 18788

Attachment 18789

Attachment 18790

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tim you have the eye of an eagle. how could you see those eyelashes critically enough to focus in the viewfinder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a perfect example of DOF and lack of it. Shot with the 150mm D lens at F11 . The eye is the critical focus point than watch the ear go to hell with regards to DOF. Now i will say I love this look but the NAME F11 just puts this thought in your head that heck even the background would be in. This is why I said forget the naming on DOF and everything you are accustomed too. This is 3 stops off what a M8 would do with a equivalent focal length. Completely different ball game. If I actually put a measuring stick on this maybe 2 to 3 inch total DOF at F11 and this distance. SCARY if it was F4 maybe and I mean maybe 1/2 of inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW That my friends is how good the 150 D lens and even wide open it is that sharp. Just love this lens

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I like this one a lot. It's kind of surreal.

Tim
    thanks Tim, I thought maybe one thing is missing is a subject (or person or model) in front of the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Tim, I thought maybe one thing is missing is a subject (or person or model) in front of the wall.
    I liked it too but couldn't figure out why. Just something about the colors and composition that was intriguing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here I come with a different opinion: Dont zoom into the image 100% to judge it. In the print and from some distance the areas which might look a little OOF at 100% still look ok at normal viewing distance, and with medium format the transition between sharp and unsharp is smoother and more forgiving. (still less DOF than smaller sensors of course)
    I feel with some "luck" one get even good shots at f2 or f2.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that some people like the first version better. The second I made a bit too light, on purpose, so maybe I will find a happy middle when I am home again and can work in a stable light situation. The focus is the tree itself, i.e. the left third of the image or so. Most of it is in decent focus. The leaves are just a bright, OOF backdrop for the tree. I know it is a bit unorthodox, but it has really grown on me. Here is another from the same series, a bit more normal:

Attachment 18797
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More than just luck though , you really have to pay attention to the exact point you want. It's very easy to miss wide open

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    More than just luck though , you really have to pay attention to the exact point you want. It's very easy to miss wide open
    I agree. I try anyways and here and then you get one which is fine. but its a bit trial and error. Shoot 10 and 1 or 2 are fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree. I try anyways and here and then you get one which is fine. but its a bit trial and error. Shoot 10 and 1 or 2 are fine.
    handheld or stills from tripod?

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a couple from last year that printed rather well. The first is the Mamy 28 mm.

Attachment 18815

And this one from Tasmania was the 75-150 mm.
    Attachment 18816
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 15th October 2009 at 18:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

this is a case where number 2 is way cool!

(),
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    TX Stuart. I'm like you - I rarely clone anything out because I want to show things just as nature left them. But I find that twig draws my eye...

I'll try it on my dear wife who has a very good eye for such things!

Thanks for your comments. I must post a few of my Iceland shots though they pale beside yours!

Bill
    Here's a few of Iceland from a few years ago.

Attachment 18825

Attachment 18824

Attachment 18823

Attachment 18822
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 15th October 2009 at 18:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

this is a case where number 2 is way cool!

(),
    Thanks Jack, though I assure you that Tasmania in February was a lot warmer than Tobermory, Ontario, in March!
    Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    handheld or stills from tripod?
    I dont see the problem so much when shooting from a tripod, I was speaking about handheld.
    The follwoing image was the 110 handhold at f2.0 and I think the image has enough DOF/sharpness for my taste:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    tim you have the eye of an eagle. how could you see those eyelashes critically enough to focus in the viewfinder?
    Thank you! It's actually a nightmare. I am doing project to make a portrait of everyone who visits my house and have pretty much settled on the 150 as the right lens for the job. Much as it would be nice to shoot handheld, an inch or two of body sway post-focus makes the shots OOF so I use a tripod, and that means focus and recompose which is almost as bad but not quite!

In any event I have found that my first effort usually gets better focus than any attempts at bracketing and that about 80% of the shots have good focus with fewer than 10% being unusable. I do ask the models to open their eyes very wide so I can focus and that also tends to create a good expression when they stop!

I'd be really interested to hear how other people deal with this?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

For me, not. I like it as it is. Hard to explain why but here goes...

A person is a person is a person and that means that taking a shot of them makes that shot mainly interesting to them and their family/friends (unless they are famous or of rare beauty etc). The way to take a shot of a person further than that is to either to to take a shot that makes them and their situation full of resonance in a wider way that tells the audience something more universal about age or youth or hunger or happiness or whatever; or to place the person in a context that intrigues in a narrative sense.

Your setting might be able to do that, depending on how it were done - but for me the scene has enough to stand without a person. The colours and composition are immediately arresting and the lead in line is compelling - literally a corridor or path that pulls the viewer forward. Then there's (for me!) a dialogue between the nature of shipping containers (being 'product for delivery') and the pulped trash in the background, being the end state of what started as product and being, though trash, still formed into regular shapes as if they were still product. So there's a story and a series of observations here for those that want them!

Best

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Here's a couple from last year that printed rather well. The first is the Mamy 28 mm.

Attachment 18815

And this one from Tasmania was the 75-150 mm.
    Attachment 18816
    Both very nice but I especially like the second one!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see the problem so much when shooting from a tripod, I was speaking about handheld.
    The follwoing image was the 110 handhold at f2.0 and I think the image has enough DOF/sharpness for my taste:
    Blimey that's good!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    A person is a person is a person and that means that taking a shot of them makes that shot mainly interesting to them and their family/friends (unless they are famous or of rare beauty etc). The way to take a shot of a person further than that is to either to to take a shot that makes them and their situation full of resonance in a wider way that tells the audience something more universal about age or youth or hunger or happiness or whatever; or to place the person in a context that intrigues in a narrative sense.
    Well, I disagree I think you missed one category, and not a trivial one either: the standard (non-famous, non-relative) portrait. Whether full-length or close-up, with or without an environment, which is or is not theirs. In other words, people as objects. Or perhaps, people as people, not as objects. They don't have to be famous or beautiful to be interesting.

Tom's scene to me would be an interesting place for a portrait. In my opinion, it would be interesting to have someone who belongs in this environment in this place, but it would also be work to just have someone interesting there. I could also imagine a fashion-shoot there, but fashion as done by most people nowadays doesn't really interest me. In fact, it is hardly about fashion any more. Graham's work interests me because he goes beyond the cliches, and into make-believe, hinted-at stories for each mind to finish.

However, I prefer Tom's photo as shot. With someone there it is something completely different.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I disagree I think you missed one category, and not a trivial one either: the standard (non-famous, non-relative) portrait. Whether full-length or close-up, with or without an environment, which is or is not theirs. In other words, people as objects. Or perhaps, people as people, not as objects. They don't have to be famous or beautiful to be interesting.
    I'm not trying to nitpick (heaven forbid ) but to me personally that category has to be the same as my 'wider resonance' category. A portrait to me is only ever interesting if it is of someone I know, someone very famous or beautiful, if there's a strong story implied or if somehow it is imbued with wider human resonances. Well executed shots of total strangers are unlikely to interest me unless they hit that last button, other than technically.

Tom's scene to me would be an interesting place for a portrait. In my opinion, it would be interesting to have someone who belongs in this environment in this place, but it would also be work to just have someone interesting there. I could also imagine a fashion-shoot there, but fashion as done by most people nowadays doesn't really interest me. In fact, it is hardly about fashion any more. Graham's work interests me because he goes beyond the cliches, and into make-believe, hinted-at stories for each mind to finish.

However, I prefer Tom's photo as shot. With someone there it is something completely different.
    I agree with you about fashion and about Graham's work - which really is different. I also think the container shot is partly so successful because there so obviously could have been a person included and wasn't... but then I would say that: most of my fine art work that gets exhibited is about the spaces that people make and then desert, the way they use the landscape and leave it, their traces and their absences and their territorial markings. So in other words I love the shot cos I wish Id taken it!

Hmmmm, wonder where it is.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the most important thing is of course what we all know -- there is no one way to take a good photo.

Bill -- lovely shots of Iceland. It's funny, other than the second one, I am not sure exactly where they were taken, but they are very obviously Iceland to me -- it is a hard place to mimic!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Attachment 18758
    i like the darker one better... and being 'sharp' isn't what all images are about. this image works as is.. very nicely done!!

jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, and everyone else who liked my shot. It *is* sharp, by the way, just not where one might expect it

Here is one I am not quite sure about. The forest was quite dark, but there was a bright clearing in the middle. It was hard to find a good place to shoot from, and my girlfriend was walking very fast since our daughter was getting hungry, so I couldn't find the kind of spot I envisioned. I am curious if there is enough there, or if it falls short.

Attachment 18832
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten,
    I think this last image begs for some more brightness in the center.
    -bob