The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Bob,

When we do the Provence workshop, the old limestone quarry area you are depicting with this image is one of the locations for the nude model session. (The other is on beach along the Cremargue.) And we will lunch afterwards at Monier :)D). I don't know if you followed the trail around to the right, but that path takes you under some impressive and oddly-shaped monoliths. Those very stone giants are what inspired Dante's beastly descriptions in "Inferno."

:thumbs:,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Bob,

When we do the Provence workshop, the old limestone quarry area you are depicting with this image is one of the locations for the nude model session. (The other is on beach along the Cremargue.) And we will lunch afterwards at Monier :)D). I don't know if you followed the trail around to the right, but that path takes you under some impressive and oddly-shaped monoliths. Those very stone giants are what inspired Dante's beastly descriptions in "Inferno."

:thumbs:,
Jack,
Lovely area...
The nude model I brought with me thought that it was a bit breezy that day and accused me of trying to fatten her up with all of the local food and wine.
So I shot the limestone without her. :(
-bob

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Gorgeous colors, Bill. I especially like the simplicity of the lines of the third shot.

Paratom

ok, first try-today on the way home from work. Mamiya ZD +80mm.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Mike, Chris, Jim and I went to SF yesterday for a shoot on Alcatraz. We started early by meeting at Sutro baths:

Here is MIke enjoying the morning:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

We left Sutro and had breakfast, then started exploring along the industrial piers in the mid-day light. Just happened to catch this out of the corner of my eye and started laughing hysterically. Turned out the trucker was resting in his cab, heard me laugh and yelled, "Hey, we NEVER run empty!" :ROTFL::

Jim and Mike grabbing a shot:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Then we made it to the rock later in the afternoon:

And one with a bit of my "bleach bypass" treatment added:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

It was actually pretty warm, like t-shirt and shorts warm, which is very unusual for the city. I stepped outside to cool off and rest for a few minutes and saw this. Decided it might be a good idea to grab a quick set of images for a pano. This is a total of 7 frames taken with the P45+ and 80mm lens on my Phase AFD3. Each frame was about a 12 second exposure at f8, ISO 200. I opened them all in CS4 and let it blend them automatically, took about three minutes for the computer to crunch, and other than a few minor tweaks and the final crop, it spit out this pano which nets just over 28,000 pixels wide and just under 3400 tall, for a 100MP image --- If printed at 240PPI, it ends up being about 14 inches tall by 10 *feet* wide :bugeyes:

Here is a 3500 px small version to give an idea of the total image. (For those not aware, that is the SF Bay bridge on the far left, and the Golden Gate on the far right.)

Click this thumb to get to the 3500 px wide version:

And just for reference, here is a screen-grab of an approximate 10 inch by 12 inch section of the above image at actual print resolution. Bit of screen resolution aliasing and jpeg issues, but gives an idea of how the actual print looks up close:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Nice Pano Jack. Wish i was there instead of here but getting my tests done with all the Docs was more important and I did good too.

mark1958

I really like the hospital room image..composition, tones, light... great!!!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Great shots Jack. Love the Pano! I'll get some images up soon in the M8 thread.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Guy and MIke, thanks!

Mark: Thanks! I am not surprised that infirmary shot caught your eye ;)

Dale Allyn

Great stuff, Jack. Thank you for positing.

I've seen those "light load" trailers on the road with backhoe. I don't know if it's one guy driving around with it or a few, etc. I've seen it on I-80 near Auburn. I laughed too.

Regarding the corridor at that top of #669: mind sharing the aperture? Is it the full frame or cropped to manage DoF? It's hard to see from this sample how deeply the DoF goes in the image and I've struggled on certain images to the DoF I've wanted so consider looking at a camera with movements.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Dale:

That shot was full-frame with the 80, 20 seconds @ f16, ISO 200 focused at about 20 feet.

I suspect there are more than a few truckers with that sense of humor, :)

Dale Allyn

Thanks for the exposure info. I've been spending a lot of time around f16 and higher and I'm always looking for diffraction. Actually, things tend to hold together pretty well in that respect, but the struggle for deep focus is ever present with this system. Fine if one want's OOF back-areas or foregrounds (and that can be great), but I've "missed" several shots for which I needed more depth to get the look I wanted. Assembling focus-bracket files does not appeal to me.

Cheers,

Dale

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

FWIW, I am finding f22 a more than acceptable tradeoff of only slightly more visible diffraction for a pretty decent gain in net DoF; the gain in DoF usually being worth it...

Dale Allyn

FWIW, I am finding f22 a more than acceptable tradeoff of only slightly more visible diffraction for a pretty decent gain in net DoF; the gain in DoF usually being worth it...
Jack,

Thank you for this added comment. This is consistent with my findings also. I have now taken far more shots in the f/18 to f/22 range than I expected. Recently I have found f/18 and f/20 very useful, but previously I was resistant to go there.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Dale don't forget you also have the corner sharpness with C! and the 35mm that helps also and that little trick i came up with may help out on other lenses as well.

Dale Allyn

Right, Guy, I'm looking forward to trying it. I rarely crop so this tool seems like it will be great. (Well, actually I do find myself cropping some images to a slightly different aspect ratio now since I don't really like the ratio of 645 for landscapes, but I tend to shoot tight. The 35mm can be a bit soft in the corners at times so the tool is welcomed.)

I have to do some upgrades when I return to the States before I install C1 4.5. I'm still on OS X.4.11 and have resisted upgrading because of my very happy system currently (esp. w/ my imagePROGRAF printers). In the past few years I've moved from "early adopter" to "slow and lazy adopter". ;) I'll probably maintain multiple boot drives for a while.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Processed a few more from "The Rock." Here's a shot of one of the "best" cells, only for the best behaved -- taken with the 55:

And one more from the infirmary -- taken with the 35 and a little perspective correction done in CS4:

Status
Not open for further replies.