The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Maybe it will blow over to the neighbors yard. LOL

I'm a little jealous here. I get dried up Cactus

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Guy,
If you want some, since you are such a keen guy and peachy dancer, I will give you ALL the wet leaves on the ground that I have for free.
When will you be by to pick them up?
-bob

tashley

Subscriber Member

Just to show that despite my teething grumpiness I did get some joy with the new P45+ kit today... and am grudgingly admiring its detail capture. And colour. And DR.

View attachment 8972

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Just to show that despite my teething grumpiness I did get some joy with the new P45+ kit today... and am grudgingly admiring its detail capture. And colour. And DR.

View attachment 8972
Now, just look at that. Makes it all worth it.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Tim you are losing 2 stops of DOF , need to remember that and maybe the hardest thing to get in your head . Your new 5.6 is like 2.8 on your M8

tashley

Subscriber Member

Now, just look at that. Makes it all worth it.
-bob
Tim you are losing 2 stops of DOF , need to remember that and maybe the hardest thing to get in your head . Your new 5.6 is like 2.8 on your M8
I'm getting that; trouble is, the lesson needs to be learned via tripod and pixel peep method, which takes time!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I'm getting that; trouble is, the lesson needs to be learned via tripod and pixel peep method, which takes time!
A few months, and I am still working on it.
f22 somehow doesn't seem THAT scary anymore.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Boy, you guys really speak the truth. I used to buy fast glass and now I could buy all f/8.0 lenses as they'd rarely open that wide.

Joking a bit for sure, but I have muffed more "no brainer" shots by shooting at a "wide" f/11 than I'd ever thought possible. This process has made me really think about a technical camera. Truth be told, if I felt more flush, or if the Sinar arTec was available for a Mamiya mount back, I'd be all over it. Thank goodness there is no arTec/Mamiya solution 'cuz I shouldn't be thinking that way just now. :D

Still, tilts would help. How about a Phase/Mamiya "HTS"? :)

Edit: I'll add that much of this feeling stems from concern over shooting at f/16, f/18, f/20 for fear of meeting with diffraction. Thankfully, we can get away with much smaller apertures with these larger formats.

Last edited:

PeterA

Where were the shots made Bob? i want to live there.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Vineyards by moonlight 8 minutes f/16
Focus by guess and by golly.
St. Helena, California
View attachment 9058
-bob

J

jmvdigital

Bob, did you by any chance use C1 and the Process tab to export that JPEG? IT look a bit crunchy to me. I was experiencing a similar problem with C1 Process until Doug at CI helped me out.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Oh yes, very crunchy,
this time with c1 jpeg processing and sharpening disabled.
View attachment 9072
-bob

J

jmvdigital

Bob, that looks better. I was complaining to Doug about the crunchiness of the JPEG export with C1 Process tab (especially at small sizes), and he suggested using the export "Web Contact Sheet" option under the File menu (I think; it's not in the Process tab). This method uses the proxies C1 has stored in memory instead of rereading the the Raw file itself. For whatever reason, the Web Contact Sheet method produces much more acceptable JPEGs in my opinion.

JimCollum

playing around with the aptus75 and a pano head

shot with the Mamiya AFDII and Zeiss 110/2, put together with AutopanoGiga (beta version)

27000x14000

32000x12000
(shot after sun was down, each capture about 10 sec.)

26000x35000

the last one prints at 175" x 128"

here's a 100% crop of the main tree

Last edited:
J

jmvdigital

Jim, I like the images, but I feel like maybe you went more for sheer image pano size rather than a truly great scene or composition. Maybe it's the flat processing. I dunno, not trying to be negative, but beyond the impressive pixel sizes, these don't do much for me in their current state.

Paratom

With the title of the thread im a curious about the following:
Images presented here are stunning and many(most/all) of them show the great tones and detail of digital MF.
I feel though that 80-90% are either landscapes, architecture or medium distance, mostly static details.

I now ask myself if digital MF is mostly limited to those subjects (because of DOF, noise at higher ISO and slowish AF or MF)

Do you guys also shoot people, do you use your MF-camera for more casual things, do you bring it when you travel, when you walk hroughthe city, do you take images of your family, or maybe even for some action ( I dont mean of you have to professionally shoot a soccer game)?

Or do you bring your M8 or D700 or 5d for those times and subjects.
How many percent of your shooting can be done with MF and how often do you need the speed and functions and flexibilty of a 1D or 5D or D700?

I mean how good and practicable is MF shooting for everyday use?

Cheers, Tom

J

jmvdigital

Ooo, I get to reply first!

All of those things you mention are true. DoF is slim at best (a plus for me), there is noise at higher ISO (though the 30+ really makes a usable 1600 for me), and the AF is slowish.

That said, I sold my Canon 1DsIII and my 5D... my Phamiya with P30+ is my main and only camera (aside from a small P&S). So far it hasn't let me down. I will be bringing it traveling, I walk with it frequently, and take family images, etc.

The speed is definitely a notch down from using a 35mm DSLR, but it depends on what level of compromise you're willing to accept, and whether that compromise includes a big bulky clunky camera slowing you down vs. vastly improved image quality?

For me, the 30+ is my main everyday camera. It sits in a photo backpack behind me, ready to roll. I've taken it hiking with my pano head (heavy, sure, but other than, a joy). I've taken many family shots with it, handheld. I've taken regular stupid snapshots with it. I've shot it handheld while walking around a farm festival thingy with my son and fiancee. There is a bit of a learning curve (learning how to handle the weight, predict your shooting opps a bit better since things are slower and more deliberate, and dealing with carrying a tripod when you want the best image and/or the light is low, etc.)

So far I have no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.