Site Sponsors
Page 52 of 386 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 19293

Thread: Fun with MF images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Just got my Rollei 180 AFD (courtesy of Son) and wanted to try it out before a model shoot tomorrow. Hope the girls come out this good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Beautiful look to that lens, but I have to say that your model is a dog.
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    David,
    Beautiful look to that lens, but I have to say that your model is a dog.
    -bob
    Hey Bob... after I saw the comments about your model shots I thought it might be the prudent thing to post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, that lens renders beautifully! Good luck on the shoot, and be sure to share some images!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Hey Bob... after I saw the comments about your model shots I thought it might be the prudent thing to post
    Yeah, David, you have a point there.
    -bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You start shooting cats I am turning the lights off on this forum. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Just got my Rollei 180 AFD (courtesy of Son) and wanted to try it out before a model shoot tomorrow. Hope the girls come out this good
    Better than a few models I have seen posted lately. (Not here of course)

Great technique too, you slightly over-exposed her skin (I mean fur!) to smooth it out.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You start shooting cats I am turning the lights off on this forum. LOL
    No worries on that front from me... but you'd better watch out for Steve Hendrix

Ed,

Thanks for the kind words. You have a good eye to have noticed the "glamour" treatment to my dogs fur. I use a plug-in called Portraiture on a lot of my model shoots (big time saver for me) and wondered what it would do to this image. Smoothed out the fur and the background bokeh a bit. Maybe I can get some work shooting celebrity pets

Post Thanks / Like

For the third consecutive summer, I am teaching a basic photography class to local teenagers. Tuesday was studio lighting day. The kids loved it, and things got a bit chaotic in a fun way. I had my Phamiya, P25+, and 75-150 with me, but didn't have a chance to take many shots since I was attempting to stay ahead of the chaos. A few of the boys set up a big fan and enticed one of the adults to pose for them. I managed to snap the photo below. It's a technical mess, but I think it certainly qualifies as fun with MF:

--Mark

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Mark - it shows the fun! I like it.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSaperstein View Post
    It's a technical mess, but I think it certainly qualifies as fun with MF:

--Mark
    Thanks for the smile. Looks like you had an enjoyable class.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David K,

Marvelous bokeh. I'm thinking that you'll probably want to hang on to that lens.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

The only remaining original 9' wide section of Route 66.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had the opportunity to shoot some fashion/swimwear shots yesterday. These with the Sinar e75LV, 80 2.8 and 110 2.0 lenses. Shot the swimwear with my Nikon and those are posted on that board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey David - I am guessing you were using a serious amount fo lighting horsepower there and in your 'kini shots..look slike you had a fun time on the beach.

jmvdigital

Ed, really nice shot of RT 66.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    How many ws did you blast them with?
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Hey David - I am guessing you were using a serious amount fo lighting horsepower there and in your 'kini shots..look slike you had a fun time on the beach.
    Peter, used the Broncolor Verso pack but dialed it back to one stop below ambient trying to make it look like no lights were used (not sure we succeeded in that based on the comments). What you don't see in the images is the white diffuser/umbrella that we used as a scrim to lessen the contrast between shadow and highlight. The swimsuit shots were without lights... hauling 50 lbs of pack/battery down the beach (and back) when its 95 degrees outside is not fun. It was a great shoot and reminded me of how much easier things are with models who know what they're doing.

Bob, the pack was dialed way down, ambient was f/11 and the light one stop below at f/8. The model is trying to land a gig with J. Crew and we tried to emulate their look based on images from their catalogue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David, I think the reason why people asked about the lighting is because people are extremely sensitive to the way natural light falls -- we observe it every day all day our entire lives. It only comes from one direction at once, so whenever you see something that is lit from more than one direction, your brain automatically thinks something is unnatural, even if it cannot figure out what it is. It is particularly noticeable in the first shot -- the natural light is falling off the model's right shoulder, as seen in the fence shadows. This would mean in a natural lighting situation, her front would be in shadow. But in the photo, she is fully lit from the opposite side -- so our brain sees the fence shadows going one way and the shadows on the model going the other, and even if we are not photographers, it creates this sense of "what's going on here, the world does not look like this!".

Don't get me wrong, I like the photos and the quality of light is very nice, but if you are going to work outside and want to make it look like natural light, you have to make sure you emulate the way the light falls, not just the intensity.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart, excellent point and something for me to remember when I'm going for that non-strobe lighting look.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a 110mm f2 PQ lens and tested it today with a friend. This is either f2 or f2.8. I'm still getting to know this lens but definitely happy so far! It's a little soft wide open (if I'm picky) but can be fixed nicely in post in the relevant places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice capture Graham -- re "a little soft" wide open, are you sure it isn't just the paper-thin DoF?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work Graham! Congratulations on the lens. I am sure you will love it. I agree with Jack -- obviously it will not be as sharp wide open as it is stopped down, but the depth of field is extremely tiny, so the smallest movement in the subject can create extra softness.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Nice capture Graham -- re "a little soft" wide open, are you sure it isn't just the paper-thin DoF?
    Yes, I tested it on a tripod and shot an angled surface to eliminate focus error and it wasn't as sharp wide open as say my 80mm f2.8 but there was still usable detail which actually sharpened nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Yes, I tested it on a tripod and shot an angled surface to eliminate focus error and it wasn't as sharp wide open as say my 80mm f2.8 but there was still usable detail which actually sharpened nicely.
    Okay, got it -- but then you probably didn't buy that lens for supreme detail wide open anyway
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLemon View Post
    Hey Guys and Grrrrlzzz

I went through most of this thread - glimpsing through the pictures... not reading a single bit...almost.

While watching, I have had a new favourite photographer, one I really admire and some I believe would be better of with a Leica-format Yashica.

Well this is my first forum entrance -and I just found this gorgeous site by accident, and already have learned a lot.

Making it short : me, analogue first, digital last - however i just bought the H3d2-39 with a HCD28 and HC80. But before working with those and showing off most of "who cares pictures", I will just let you know that I am in favour of analogue still.

I noticed that Guy wrote about a lens that it was tack-sharp wide open, and bokeh / unsharpness started at the ear (a portrait model photographed at page 50 something )

Well .... True

But working analogue, I encourage you guys and grrrrlzzzz - remember Jamin, Darlot ...before Tessar lenses ruined it all

Back in the days of Julia Margaret Cameron - lenses had different performance and feel .... and I would like you to go back for a while.... Glooge her up...

Photography is about seeing and observing - an in many cases Deception, well capture is the least bit as you might already know whether analogue or digital....but working with the old techniques still, while having one of the best MF digital and DSLR´s around - I keep coming back to analogue.... what about you guys and Grr.....?

I know I really could not live without digital - and will of course get rid of my Canon-**** just when I get settled with the H3 - but analogue is still a true performer for me.

When that H3-thing happends I will work both H3, Bromoil, Cyanotype, Linhof, Diana F, Sinar, Jamin, Darlot, Kodak Portrait lens and Heliars

Well this pretty much sums up my views on photography - I have both options still, whether it be H3 or Polaroid Type 55

Just my thoughts - after watching a great gallery...Your Gallery

Claus Stensgaard
    Bluelemon
    Nice B&W work!

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    I absolutely agree with you Eleanor, but no matter how many pictures like these are made, most men consume this stuff like geese being munched for paté de foie. We are guilty as charged.
    Eduardo
    seconded eleanor, and hopefully you have never seen the abysmal model mayhem website. Part of me wants to tell some of these women , you don't have to do that and please get some self -esteem, not all but some!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Colorado River in the Grand Canyon - Cambo WRS 1000, P45+ Schneider short barrel 120mm lens, and of course the Cube. Shot near sunset processed in CS4.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of different looks from Page, AZ shot last year. Just getting around to properly processing them. Both P30+ processed in C1 and CS4:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed,

Are those taken with the Arsat 30 or the Mamiya 24 fish? Very nice compositions both.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

A few to share

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Ed,

Are those taken with the Arsat 30 or the Mamiya 24 fish? Very nice compositions both.
    First image of antelope was taken with 55-100mm.

I have the Mamiya 24mm which is a surprisingly good lens considering it hasn't been produced for a while. The corners are surprisingly sharp. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the P65+.

Center and lower right corner 100% crops (same sharpening in center and corner):

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

Fantastic images especially the first 3.

Did you use gels on the flash in #1 background or is that magenta from the sky?

Would love to see the detail around the model in #3 to check out those raindrops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post

I have the Mamiya 24mm which is a surprisingly good lens considering it hasn't been produced for a while. The corners are surprisingly sharp. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the P65+.

Center and lower right corner 100% crops (same sharpening in center and corner):
    Would not mind having the 24mm myself even though I have the 28mm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frank, these fashion images really appeal to me from an artistic somewhat abstract viewpoint....the setting is really wonderful and creative, colors and tones are well thought out, lovely model with "real" fashion. Very very well done...enjoyable to view. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
    A few to share

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed - I don't think I've ever seen a slot canyon shot like the first image! Very interesting concept - I like it

Don

btw - what is the printed size for that?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frank: Great series! (#2 is my favorite )
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post

I had the 24 and sold it, but it was very sharp across the frame with my P45+. I just didn't ever use it, or never had it in the bag for the few occasions I could have used it.

I thought i was the only one that still shot with the 55-110 alongside the 75-150!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frank quick question are you drawing from the Quadras here or the Rangers. Just wondering about the power level

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Part quadra part Ranger.
    I'm using 2 Quadras and two RX speeds.
    With the workshops (this was shot during one of the workshops) I try to mix them to show people what both can do, so the quadras are often used as accent lights.

On these shots gels were used indeed, we don't have that kind of skies over here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Frank exactly what I was thinking you where doing. Looks good BTW

These Quadras have a real need for me as well . Like accent lights with the Rangers than as just a separate very portable solution for other needs like fill and such. I have very bright skies. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

our skies are often dull but sometimes........ sometimes..... they are less dull.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sometimes i would kill for cloudy dull days. It's tough shooting here most times outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

When I did the workshops in LA I loved the skies.
    But fighting the sun, that was impossible

David A

Hi Frank
    I've been following your scrap yard shots on your site and they are great.

My question is, how do you get to be able to shoot in a scrap yard, over here in the UK if it was sugested Health & Saftey would have a heart attack!! "You want to do what!!! a photo shoot in a scrap yard!!! think of all the accidents that could happen!! no way" borrrrring, they are just full of colour shapes shadows and so much more, every object could tell a different story.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Still deciding between this and another version...

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Ed - I don't think I've ever seen a slot canyon shot like the first image! Very interesting concept - I like it

Don

btw - what is the printed size for that?
    I haven't either...It's a great look!!!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Still deciding between this and another version...

She maybe a little to hot looking( light that is). That missing right leg is bugging me does the other have just a piece of it showing somewhere on the floor. Looks cut off

Post Thanks / Like

She maybe a little to hot looking( light that is).
    She's under spotlight. Seems ok to me.

That missing right leg is bugging me does the other have just a piece of it showing somewhere on the floor. Looks cut off
    There isn't room for both feet (unfortunately). In fact both feet were cut off in most of the shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bummer on the feet . Just something I noticed and maybe not a issue