The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Thanks John,

Nice shots indeed and a very well conceived torture test. Thanks also for the tip about the lens - it might make a good portrait lens, don't you think?

T

John Black

I assume it would, but the Mrs. adopted a new policy in regards to lens testing earlier this year...

History has shown that this policy applies to other areas too... :) Fortunately we have dogs - and they love cameras, literally, and readily show their affection by licking the front element... LOL

Seriously though, the only challenge a foresee with the Mamiya 150mm F3.5 is having enough light for sufficient DOF. F3.5 at portrait distances (say 10 to 15 feet) would most likely be too thin. F5.6 would be right (IMO) and here wasn't anywhere near that much light yesterday (at ISO 50).

This weekend I have time to use the lens some more. It'll probably be awhile before there's a true portrait image; I need to pick up a Metz flash for some fill.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

The 150 3.5 is a nice lens John but at 5.6 is where it starts and reason I spent the bucks for the 150 2.8 is to get going long before 5.6 but I need the speed for other things as well.

BTW great policy by your wife . I can't even point the camera near mine without major consequences. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member

I assume it would, but the Mrs. adopted a new policy in regards to lens testing earlier this year...

History has shown that this policy applies to other areas too... :) Fortunately we have dogs - and they love cameras, literally, and readily show their affection by licking the front element... LOL

Seriously though, the only challenge a foresee with the Mamiya 150mm F3.5 is having enough light for sufficient DOF. F3.5 at portrait distances (say 10 to 15 feet) would most likely be too thin. F5.6 would be right (IMO) and here wasn't anywhere near that much light yesterday (at ISO 50).

This weekend I have time to use the lens some more. It'll probably be awhile before there's a true portrait image; I need to pick up a Metz flash for some fill.
Cool shot and glad to see that the lens can resolve one finger at 15 feet, always a key benchmark!

THe bokeh looks kind of aggressive though?

t

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I recognize that expression...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Cool shot and glad to see that the lens can resolve one finger at 15 feet, always a key benchmark!

THe bokeh looks kind of aggressive though?

t
Part of the aggressive look you're noticing is the chromatic aberration characteristic of the 150mm f/3.5. This CA draws red and green around the fence and trees which gives the entire image a slightly more sinister look. The 150mm f/2.8 eliminates almost all of that aberration and IMO has overall a more medium-format feel to the fall-off.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

John Black

Actually Doug, that lens was a Canon 50L F1.0 on a 5D with the image taken at F1. I have not shot a portrait-type picture with the 150mm yet. The 50L image was just a joke to show my wife's enthusiasm for lens testing. I have lots of #1 shots... which might have nothing to do with lens testing... hmmm... LOL

Guy Mancuso

Bob try putting a shadow under her feet slightly . Looks like she is floating.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I like the second better for sure --- the first is an obvious chop ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Oh, yeah, What was I thinking (phhiit) :thumbdown:
I was so enamored (and tired) with the skin work that I slopped the background substitution.:eek:
just delete it
-bob

Graham Mitchell

A bunch of lawyers from a local firm wanted a group shot with a difference :)

K

karrphoto

And CS has a nifty little filter, "render clouds." Here is a 30 second application, and I am not proficient with it as I never use it. I suspect if one spent a few minutes they could do far better, but at least it's an idea:
I just hate masking trees... But Little Fluffy Clouds can be interesting...

Mitchell

What's 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?
A good start.

Graham,

Nice shot with your great humor! Nice to see they enjoy their work, and you yours.

Best,

Mitchell

Guy Mancuso

Well this was work but I always have fun when I shoot. Phase P25 Plus with 150mm 2.8 D . Trying to get these out quickly to client, so airbrushing will come later

Status
Not open for further replies.