Site Sponsors
Page 68 of 386 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 168 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 19290

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Iíll normally size images between 800 and 900 on the longest size for those uploaded here. I normally keep images that I link larger.

Don
    OK, next time i will resize to 800 or 900 on the longest side, the problem for me is when there are many forums have their own rules for images size to be upload [some 750, some 800, others 1024, few 1200]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    OK, next time i will resize to 800 or 900 on the longest side, the problem for me is when there are many forums have their own rules for images size to be upload [some 750, some 800, others 1024, few 1200]
    Please donít misinterpret what I said I do as this forum rules. This resizing works for me and only offered as a suggestion.

What you need to do is find a size that is suitable to you while not going overboard.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please donít misinterpret what I said I do as this forum rules. This resizing works for me and only offered as a suggestion.

What you need to do is find a size that is suitable to you while not going overboard.

Don
    to be honest, the best size i really prefer is 1200, if lower then 1000, i was happy to find forum that accept up to 1024 or 1200 so that i post there more, now if i have to post many shots on many forums with different sizes for each forum then it will be a nightmare for me, also to have a fix or uniform size for all my shots to be posted in all forum may be helpful but maybe sometimes some will ask me for larger up to maximum size the the forum rule for a reason, if i post here a lot then i will use this forum size mostly, but i rarely post here anyway.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

1200 is quite large and I know of only one forum which supports that size: this one. I use 800 for every forum, just because it fits nice on the screens of even those who have laptops. Anyway, your choice.

I really like the desert shot with the tree, although the large B&W looks like it might be over-sharpened. I would use a bit less vignetting, but that is just me.

I also like the two dune shots, and I like the treatment of them, but you are right, it would be hard to go back to a desert like that every weekend and make more photos. Too uniform.

I saw on imageshack that you have some nice landscapes as well. Scotland? I love the shot of the lone stone in water with the dark sky!

It seems that you do have some really nice shots, but just a few of each kind. Maybe your problem is not your talent or experience, but simply that you are too afraid to throw stuff away in case it is an inadvertent masterpiece (which almost never happens).

A few years ago I wanted to know how good I had become, and started looking at all my photos. Looking through thousands and thousands, you lose the overview completely, and I always had the feeling that there was a better one coming, and never really got the feeling for how good it all was.

Then I made a portfolio of my best shots. I cut and cut, and was striving for keeping only my very best shots, and to keep no shot which was not quite as good as the rest. In the end, from 10,000 shots I kept 36.

When I look at the 36 today, I would keep maybe 3-4 as my best, but it was a very useful process for me. It was important to put up shots for which I would make no excuses. What I also noticed is that I had a little of this, a little of that, and I decided then that I would try to work more project-oriented, to re-visit places and to build up a larger set. I chose the cemetary shots and the technical detail shots which I also love to do.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to do the same. What is the point in having shots critiqued which are not your best? You talk of other, better shots. I would recommend only posting your best shots, and then to listen and think about the critique you get from those, and forget the other photos you have completely. Start from your very best, forget the rest, and move forward from there. And give up the idea of the accidental masterpiece, at least for now.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Contax 55mm and Leaf 65, handheld.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    1200 is quite large and I know of only one forum which supports that size: this one. I use 800 for every forum, just because it fits nice on the screens of even those who have laptops. Anyway, your choice.

I really like the desert shot with the tree, although the large B&W looks like it might be over-sharpened. I would use a bit less vignetting, but that is just me.

I also like the two dune shots, and I like the treatment of them, but you are right, it would be hard to go back to a desert like that every weekend and make more photos. Too uniform.

I saw on imageshack that you have some nice landscapes as well. Scotland? I love the shot of the lone stone in water with the dark sky!

It seems that you do have some really nice shots, but just a few of each kind. Maybe your problem is not your talent or experience, but simply that you are too afraid to throw stuff away in case it is an inadvertent masterpiece (which almost never happens).

A few years ago I wanted to know how good I had become, and started looking at all my photos. Looking through thousands and thousands, you lose the overview completely, and I always had the feeling that there was a better one coming, and never really got the feeling for how good it all was.

Then I made a portfolio of my best shots. I cut and cut, and was striving for keeping only my very best shots, and to keep no shot which was not quite as good as the rest. In the end, from 10,000 shots I kept 36.

When I look at the 36 today, I would keep maybe 3-4 as my best, but it was a very useful process for me. It was important to put up shots for which I would make no excuses. What I also noticed is that I had a little of this, a little of that, and I decided then that I would try to work more project-oriented, to re-visit places and to build up a larger set. I chose the cemetary shots and the technical detail shots which I also love to do.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to do the same. What is the point in having shots critiqued which are not your best? You talk of other, better shots. I would recommend only posting your best shots, and then to listen and think about the critique you get from those, and forget the other photos you have completely. Start from your very best, forget the rest, and move forward from there. And give up the idea of the accidental masterpiece, at least for now.
    AWWW, so you saw my other photos from imageshack? ok, not all from Scotland, i have some from New Zealand, Paris, Switzerland, and last USA [ofcourse there are few from my country UAE].

The point is, on another forum i am so happy as really i post my best, but those my best are from Canon only, still i didn't use my MF much yet, and i do what you talked about, i have a folder with only my best shots over the 4 years, my top best, i saved all my thousands of photos on many HDD but i choose my top best only and put it on one folder, and i add more anytime i have more, but i don't post all my top best on the net as well, i choose some of my best to post, but also i post something else as i want to learn from mistakes i did on another shots, any shot i can learn from it, and also some people said, one shot that may not work for you it may work for me, so what is best for you could not be best for me, many times i got amazed that people vote or prefer shots that i don't consider it as my best.

Another point, i travel only once every year for short time, so if i visit one place i make it as it is the last visit, so if i did great there fine, if not then i missed it, i wish to live in USA or Canada or Europe where there are landscapes and people and wildlife and commercial and so, in my country it is rarely i can do all that in good way, and with so high temp and humid and not good transportation in many places and traffic and busy at work, all those will make it difficult for us, i checked many many websites and competitions, about 20-30% winner shots or masterpiece can be from our region, and i am not that so talented to increase this to about 70-80% anyway, and as i said before, all my best top shots were from my travels, how amazing i travel for about 2-4 weeks only and i don't know where to go there mostly and i went back with amazing outstanding shots from there, how if i live there then?

At the end, forums are differing, some can see all or most of my work as an art, and other will not see one great shot, and few will choose some of my shots as winners, so it depends to whom or where i post, i pro will see my photos different than a talented and different than an amateur and so, so my question is: should i post only the best or best of the best? i don't have that many of the best anyway, if i post my best now then i may wait about 5-8 months to post again, what i should do then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    I don't know why, but i can't see any shot, is there any shot you posted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice BlasR! Same comments as Jack +1

Don,

Thank you very much

BlasR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I like this - want to share where this was taken?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end, forums are differing, some can see all or most of my work as an art, and other will not see one great shot, and few will choose some of my shots as winners, so it depends to whom or where i post, i pro will see my photos different than a talented and different than an amateur and so, so my question is: should i post only the best or best of the best? i don't have that many of the best anyway, if i post my best now then i may wait about 5-8 months to post again, what i should do then?
    That depends on your goal. If you just want praise, post on the other forums. If you want constructive criticism, post here and other forums where they give fair critique.

My goal in being here is to learn about equipment and technique, and to develop my art. If I don't get praise, then so be it. If I can earn some, I know it is real here. On some forums I get lots of praise even for photos I see flaws in. That doesn't help me (well, it helps my ego ).
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That depends on your goal. If you just want praise, post on the other forums. If you want constructive criticism, post here and other forums where they give fair critique.

My goal in being here is to learn about equipment and technique, and to develop my art. If I don't get praise, then so be it. If I can earn some, I know it is real here. On some forums I get lots of praise even for photos I see flaws in. That doesn't help me (well, it helps my ego ).
    I should have some balance at least, to be in a forum with all your photos critiqued which shows nothing good you did also not always what we want, and really i should do less mistakes with few photos if i took critiques seriously, what will be the point if i shoot million shots with some [more or less] critiques if those critiques didn't help then to improve?!!!
    Also i agree that if someone really want to improve then he has to show his work to experienced people who can show him the weak points and also pointing the strong points in his work so he can do better and better, but really sometimes when those experienced critique a lot and they have some work that need critiques as well but they try to cover their some weak points with some reasons that may not work then we can feel that are our work really bad to them or are they just want to show they are close to perfect so they critique us to keep us lower than them?

Now the question is, in any forum, how can i find or know who should be the trusted critique guy to listen and follow his C&C? i don't know who are the best experienced trusted here, so i am not sure who i will take his C&C until i see his work and know about him.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the type of person who critiques a lot but cannot take it himself, but I don't feel that way here, not in the MF forum. In any case, if you watch critiques for a while, you get a feeling for who is fair and who is not. The rest can simply be ignored, if they should exist. Everyone can see who is fair and not, so don't worry about one person making you look bad: everyone sees what is going on, both sides.

Like someone else already pointed out, I don't think you need to see someone's work to accept their critique. It is not always the case that someone can photograph and critique equally well, but that does not make their critique invalid. I think it is more important to get a feel for who is fair, and whose critique is useful. In the end, the only reason to want critique is to improve, and if someone helps you improve, it doesn't matter how good their photos are.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

I like this - want to share where this was taken?

Don
    Don,
    I shot it yesterday evening in Israel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know the type of person who critiques a lot but cannot take it himself, but I don't feel that way here, not in the MF forum. In any case, if you watch critiques for a while, you get a feeling for who is fair and who is not. The rest can simply be ignored, if they should exist. Everyone can see who is fair and not, so don't worry about one person making you look bad: everyone sees what is going on, both sides.

Like someone else already pointed out, I don't think you need to see someone's work to accept their critique. It is not always the case that someone can photograph and critique equally well, but that does not make their critique invalid. I think it is more important to get a feel for who is fair, and whose critique is useful. In the end, the only reason to want critique is to improve, and if someone helps you improve, it doesn't matter how good their photos are.
    Yes, i agree with that, fair comments or critiques is always welcome, but critique for just to critique without understanding why and what this is bugging me, i can critique as well but really i don't want to in case if some will take my helpful critique as a negative issue or so.

Anyway, honestly i want to tell you something, i want to post here or anywhere just for sharing and having fun and most of the time i don't ask for critiques, so if i post all the time and get critiques it may bother me, i could post some photos and ask for critiques, and i know where to post for critiques, but if i post in general to show and have fun and enjoy it doesn't matter if my work need critiques or not, i don't want to post all my photos for critiques anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another thing i want to mention, i am good in taking photos, but i am not good enough in photoshop or post processing and editing, some shots after editing many told me that the original is way better, so should i post only the original shots without editing/pp?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why, but i can't see any shot, is there any shot you posted?
    If you still cannot see the image, try this http://photodom.com/photo/1724608 and click on the image to see it completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you still cannot see the image, try this http://photodom.com/photo/1724608 and click on the image to see it completely.
    It is very strange, when i posted before that i can't see your shot that is because i was using my laptop [MBP], but when i used my desktop i could see you shot which is nice, but now i can't see your shot again on my desktop computer, and the link you posted is for a blocked website in my country, i think maybe i saw your shot when my computer was accessing the blocked site, could be that i turned off accessing the blocked site also preventing me to see you photo [using a software to access blocked site, it slows the connection and the computer as well].

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now the question is, in any forum, how can i find or know who should be the trusted critique guy to listen and follow his C&C? i don't know who are the best experienced trusted here, so i am not sure who i will take his C&C until i see his work and know about him.
    There are many folks here that are very good at what they do; taking photos, post processing. Find them and if they offer a critique listen to what they say and if it makes sense even if you don’t happen to like what you’re hearing you might want to listen to them anyway.

Very good point.

Another thing i want to mention, i am good in taking photos, but i am not good enough in photoshop or post processing and editing, some shots after editing many told me that the original is way better, so should i post only the original shots without editing/pp?

Once again – I suggest posting only those images you are really proud of – doesn’t matter if it’s straight out of the camera or you post after editing/post processing.

If you honestly want to share then you need to make certain that you not post snapshots but images that you are truly proud of. This advice is given whether or not you want critiques. Posting images in a shotgun approach will only alienate those who might give you the critique you want.

These are just my thoughts on this subject.

Cheers

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

It is very strange, when i posted before that i can't see your shot that is because i was using my laptop [MBP], but when i used my desktop i could see you shot which is nice, but now i can't see your shot again on my desktop computer, and the link you posted is for a blocked website in my country, i think maybe i saw your shot when my computer was accessing the blocked site, could be that i turned off accessing the blocked site also preventing me to see you photo [using a software to access blocked site, it slows the connection and the computer as well].
    That site is for photographers. I cannot help if it is blocked in your country

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don,
    I shot it yesterday evening in Israel.
    Thank you for the information. The image isnít just well done it shows for a lack of better term ďsoulĒ. It makes one feel like they are standing there experiencing the moment.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information. The image isnít just well done it shows for a lack of better term ďsoulĒ. It makes one feel like they are standing there experiencing the moment.

Don
    I took a walk past evening and "saw it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That site is for photographers. I cannot help if it is blocked in your country
    Flickr is blocked in my country as well, so any website that may contain any kind of porn/nude/semi-nude... they block it, so that website you refer it is for photographers doesn't contain any adults materials or some shots which can be at [18+] category?

What i can do if many many photography websites are blocked in my area because it contains those kind of photos.

Post Thanks / Like

That web site contains nudes, but no porn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That web site contains nudes, but no porn.
    Then definitely blocked here

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Setting aside the exchange of technical information and corrections in user errors with equipment ...

There are other paths to explore if you wish to improve your photography ... besides artistic critiques.

Like improving your state of mind before making photographs. Like having something to express. Like learning to see better than you do now ... (which you don't even need a camera to do).

The best critique will always be your own ... if you know what you were trying to express. Sometimes you do this intuitively, then discover it afterwards.

I've found that exposure to art in general has more impact on your work than exposure to people doing something similar to what you are doing. Or study art history. Because while people may say "they know what they like" , it usually means "they like what they know".

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Setting aside the exchange of technical information and corrections in user errors with equipment ...

There are other paths to explore if you wish to improve your photography ... besides artistic critiques.

Like improving your state of mind before making photographs. Like having something to express. Like learning to see better than you do now ... (which you don't even need a camera to do).

The best critique will always be your own ... if you know what you were trying to express. Sometimes you do this intuitively, then discover it afterwards.

I've found that exposure to art in general has more impact on your work than exposure to people doing something similar to what you are doing. Or study art history. Because while people may say "they know what they like" , it usually means "they like what they know".

-Marc
    Very nice said, all here talking perfect wisely!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

got some snow today...woke up early-saw nice light- had to clean the road from snow first-and then the nice light was gone ;(
    I went out anyways and took some images with the Artec and 35mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, LOVE that first image! What is the name of the castle?

Jim, especially like frame #2 and #4 --- great series!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, the first shot is very nice, but the second one is great, IMO. Very subtle, and as an initial impression, almost boring, and then it grows quietly. I really like that a lot.

Jim, I love the cage!
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tom, LOVE that first image! What is the name of the castle?

Jim, especially like frame #2 and #4 --- great series!
    Its called castle Auerbach, not far from where I live. There is a great tree inside growing on the stones and thats what I had planned to photograph initially but that day the castle was closed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, the first shot is very nice, but the second one is great, IMO. Very subtle, and as an initial impression, almost boring, and then it grows quietly. I really like that a lot.

Jim, I love the cage!
    Thanks Carsten, The second shot is a crop from a Pano I took but the whole Pano doesnt impress when dowsized for web.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    the subtlety of tones in this image are outstanding.. well seen!!
    +1 from me as well

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Thanks Carsten, The second shot is a crop from a Pano I took but the whole Pano doesnt impress when dowsized for web.

I really like this one as well. The tones, mood etc., again this image has character and brings the viewer right into the image. It also looks cold as hell!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jim Ė not too sure if Iíve commented on your ďPict-a-dayĒ series. The tones and shadows are great the images give a certain glow sort of old world meets new. Thereís a tension to them as well. Very earthy. Youíve done well!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    some more from the Pict-a-day series (entire thing posted at http://www.blipfoto.com/JamesCollum )
    Jim, these images look like old photos, I like it! How do you create that effect?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comment Don,
    it was not as cold as it looks but cold enough that my Artec sliding back was moving stiffer than it does in very nice warm weather.(still worked fine)

One more comment...please everybody feel free to give me critics or tell me what I could improve.
    I am afraid that my "MF-crisis"-thread enforces you guys to make positive only comments about my images. I can take critics and do want to improve. I appreciate to hear what I can do better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, feel no need to change my comment I really do like that shot a lot.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Thanks for the comment Don,
    it was not as cold as it looks but cold enough that my Artec sliding back was moving stiffer than it does in very nice warm weather.(still worked fine)

One more comment...please everybody feel free to give me critics or tell me what I could improve.
    I am afraid that my "MF-crisis"-thread enforces you guys to make positive only comments about my images. I can take critics and do want to improve. I appreciate to hear what I can do better.
    No worries if I don't like an image I'd either remain silent or tell you especially if it were landscape. You should be your own worse critic first on the image then if it passes your test post it for all to see then wait to hear what others have to say.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P65+ at ISO 800 with 75-150 zoom
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

P65+ at ISO 800 with 75-150 zoom
    The art of landscape photography is sometimes taking an area that might be otherwise boring and turning it into a really nice image. Sometimes you get lucky and it turns out really good.

That said, I like this. My only small comment is of the bush off to the far right. The tree is what gets my attention and I don't mind the bushes/weeds to either side however I just don't like the very far right where that bush is attempting to push its way into the image. What would this look like in a sepia tone???

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you Don --- unfortunately, the shooting position I was stuck to wouldn't allow me to get the bush out. I could crop it to thinner and get it though. Here is a different composition of the same area with a bit heavier warm tone. I'm not exactly sure why, but I prefer this one I think:

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Don --- unfortunately, the shooting position I was stuck to wouldn't allow me to get the bush out. I could crop it to thinner and get it though. Here is a different composition of the same area with a bit heavier warm tone. I'm not exactly sure why, but I prefer this one I think:

Jack - I like the tone on this as well and feel it's better than the first. Okay (holding my breath as I write this) crop out the double bush to the left of the tree? (Far left now) Will that screw it up too much? Or seeing as I gone this far - go in and crop just to the left of the tree and just to the right at about the place that white fence post is.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful image, very wintry.

It is summer down here, however, so here are some sunflowers. These were taken on a meet up from an Australian forum to Allora in SE Qld.

We did sunset ones and sunrise/moonset the next morning.

All with H2, 80mm f2.8 and P20 back. I used the on camera flash as a fill for the 2 'portraits'.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    It's a beautiful image, very wintry.

It is summer down here, however, so here are some sunflowers. These were taken on a meet up from an Australian forum to Allora in SE Qld.

We did sunset ones and sunrise/moonset the next morning.

All with H2, 80mm f2.8 and P20 back. I used the on camera flash as a fill for the 2 'portraits'.
    My favorite by far is the first (far left) great colors/shading

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

ISTANBUL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The following were all taken in Monument Valley all with the Cambo WRS and P45+ and various lenses. I love going to Monument Valley so much that I actually sat in one spot for hours never taking a single image....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, that last one is real nice, although I would have backed off a touch on the bronze

Cemal, that is an interesting shot. How did you do it?
    Carsten - Website