Site Sponsors
Page 69 of 386 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 19289

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

I love these warm toned images of Jack's taken with the 65+. I just returned from Bosque del Apache where I took a lot of color images with my 65+...and since I did literally everything handheld, I made use of sensor plus at iso 400 with really wonderful results. I also shot at non sensor plus when conditions were a bit brighter at iso 100 - 200. Here are some examples of my color shots. I always like seeing a lot of delicate detail! eleanor (ps--don't know why these images don't come up in the message)

Last edited by eleanorbrown; 1st February 2010 at 13:48. Reason: addition of notation

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Eleanor! I love the range of warm hues.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    Jim, these images look like old photos, I like it! How do you create that effect?
    it's a combination of the lens used (zeiss 110/2 wide open.. so very shallow DOF) and the b/w toning used (custom tone curve with Nik silver efex)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor,

I love both of these!! I've always been a fan of 'chaos' (not just in images either.. just ask Jack), and the ability to find patterns and resonance in that chaos. You've done so with both images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    I love these warm toned images of Jack's taken with the 65+. I just returned from Bosque del Apache where I took a lot of color images with my 65+...and since I did literally everything handheld, I made use of sensor plus at iso 400 with really wonderful results. I also shot at non sensor plus when conditions were a bit brighter at iso 100 - 200. Here are some examples of my color shots. I always like seeing a lot of delicate detail! eleanor (ps--don't know why these images don't come up in the message)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

this has been my favorite so far in your Monument Valley series.. this one effectively portrays the agelessness of the area

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    The following were all taken in Monument Valley all with the Cambo WRS and P45+ and various lenses. I love going to Monument Valley so much that I actually sat in one spot for hours never taking a single image....

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice Jack!

it's been years, but i'm sure I have an image from that same spot.. i'll try to dig it up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I hear you Don --- unfortunately, the shooting position I was stuck to wouldn't allow me to get the bush out. I could crop it to thinner and get it though. Here is a different composition of the same area with a bit heavier warm tone. I'm not exactly sure why, but I prefer this one I think:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P65+ at ISO 800 with 75-150 zoom
    Whew, nice tonal range there Jack! Deep looking blacks but with detail. Looks like you are getting that 60 meg sucker to sing for you.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A new month, and a new theme for the POD (Pic-o-day) series

February 2010
    I've been living in the Santa Cruz, Ca region for over 20 years now. There have been people I've passed weekly while walking through town, in parks, who I've seen time after time. I don't know them, don't know their story.. but i know their faces. For February, I'll try to meet many of them, learn their stories, and ask to borrow their likeness for record. Their stories will remain mine (... for those in the area, the opportunity is there for you to learn if you wish it), but their likeness will be posted here

The first shot of the series

Pan - Philosopher - Santa Cruz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Don, that last one is real nice, although I would have backed off a touch on the bronze
    Thanks Carsten I'll consider it.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor – Love the colors and tones on the second image. Glad you got the thread fixed.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    Don,

this has been my favorite so far in your Monument Valley series.. this one effectively portrays the agelessness of the area
    Jim – Thanks I like this one as well.

I like your new plan for the monthly POD. The first image is great I like the way it shows stories that have been told and those waiting to be. Nice mustache too!

Okay you’ve got 27 more days of people
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for your comments Don and Jim. Bosque has tons of chaos and I always am challenged to make some organization and sense out of it! Bosque was much much more than I expected....never seen anything like it! eleanor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack when I saw this place my immediate reaction was it had to be done as a color project just because the abundance of reds, rusts, etc. However I really like the images you posted recently of the trees and pond done is monotone warmtone. Makes me wonder if some of the images from Bosque would work processed that way. eleanor

Very nice Eleanor! I love the range of warm hues.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

... Bosque has tons of chaos ...
    what a great way to describe the scene!

I also agree that maybe a nice warm hue b&w but then I worry about the loss of all the great colors.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, Tucson is close to Bosque...have you ever photographed there? if you hit the right time of year and the right light the predominance of deep rich rusts is worth the trip.....a grass/marsh version of the Grand Canyon. eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    what a great way to describe the scene!

I also agree that maybe a nice warm hue b&w but then I worry about the loss of all the great colors.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Whew, nice tonal range there Jack! Deep looking blacks but with detail. Looks like you are getting that 60 meg sucker to sing for you.

-Marc
    Thanks Marc, coming from you, that's quite a compliment!

It's a longer story that you think for that particular image though . The story aside, I am *really* loving the files off this new back. Not sure if it's Dalsa or just me getting better at processing Phase files, but I'm getting phenomenal tonal range, great shadow detail AND all of that while maintaining good highlight tones -- and of course great image detail. All of which combined of course make for great B&W conversions! I'm very happy with the upgrade for sure
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack when I saw this place my immediate reaction was it had to be done as a color project just because the abundance of reds, rusts, etc. However I really like the images you posted recently of the trees and pond done is monotone warmtone. Makes me wonder if some of the images from Bosque would work processed that way. eleanor
    My opinion is most of the very good color images are close to a color monotone anyway, as are these wonderful shots of yours. Those color transitions should translate to B&W gradations I would think quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack I'm finding that the red spectrum seems to be rendered differently in the Dalse chip (of course this may be the profile). I was please with the rendering of the predominance of red hues at Bosque with my 65+. They came out very rich. eleanor

Thanks Marc, coming from you, that's quite a compliment!

It's a longer story that you think for that particular image though . The story aside, I am *really* loving the files off this new back. Not sure if it's Dalsa or just me getting better at processing Phase files, but I'm getting phenomenal tonal range, great shadow detail AND all of that while maintaining good highlight tones -- and of course great image detail. All of which combined of course make for great B&W conversions! I'm very happy with the upgrade for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, was that from when we were there before the Gladding McBean shoot, and is that a Betterlight scan?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, was that from when we were there before the Gladding McBean shoot, and is that a Betterlight scan?
    yes on the when, but it's a Canon horizontal stitch (apologies for posting it in the MF section)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, makes sense --- I wasn't sure of which camera, because back then you and I had Canons with TSE lenses, 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras and you had the Betterlight scanning back -- and IIRC, we each had ALL of those in the car with us!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK I was so taken by the monotone interperation of Jacks last images that I tried a similar approach on my Bosque work. Think I still prefer the color in this particular series (65+)...eleanor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, makes sense --- I wasn't sure of which camera, because back then you and I had Canons with TSE lenses, 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras and you had the Betterlight scanning back -- and IIRC, we each had ALL of those in the car with us!
    we always shot in a minimalist manner...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK I was so taken by the monotone interperation of Jacks last images that I tried a similar approach on my Bosque work. Think I still prefer the color in this particular series (65+)...eleanor
    Speaking for myself only, I prefer the warm monochrome renditions. Color is also very nice, but has a very different feel, and as such both are certainly viable for these images, but I guess I have a thing for monochrome when there is such an abundance of shapes, texture and tone...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

we always shot in a minimalist manner...
    Shot as minimalists yes... Packed as minimalists, no way!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking for myself only, I prefer the warm monochrome renditions. Color is also very nice, but has a very different feel, and as such both are certainly viable for these images, but I guess I have a thing for monochrome when there is such an abundance of shapes, texture and tone...
    I agree with Jack. The monochrome versions are my favorite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, two interesting takes on this series. I'll have to print some of the warm toned monotoned images out and see what I think. The reds in the original scenes was just so dramatic! BTW, I've started printing through Lightroom 3 beta and Advanced B&W and get wonderful warm tones. I now prefer Lightroom ABW printing over Imageprint. Eleanor

I agree with Jack. The monochrome versions are my favorite

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

one more Artec stitch...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

February 2010
    I've been living in the Santa Cruz, Ca region for over 20 years now. There have been people I've passed weekly while walking through town, in parks, who I've seen time after time. I don't know them, don't know their story.. but i know their faces. For February, I'll try to meet many of them, learn their stories, and ask to borrow their likeness for record. Their stories will remain mine (... for those in the area, the opportunity is there for you to learn if you wish it), but their likeness will be posted here

The first shot of the series

Jim thats a cool image and-even if I repeat saying the same thing-good to see portait/people image here. I like the tones and the detail and the experession of his face.

DougDolde

Went up to Sedona for the sunset today. This is from the Airport Overlook. 4 frames stitched, Aptus 75S, Contax Zeiss 120mm Makro Planar.

http://douglasdolde.com/fb/pan.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    one more Artec stitch...
    Thomas, this has a very "quieting" mood about it. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, like this image.

Post Thanks / Like

I go away for a short time and so many amazing photographs get posted!!! There's a lot of great work here.

Here is one from my recent trip to Lake Erie, H3DII39, 35mm, f16 at 1/4 sec:

And of course I met a few more ice fishermen!

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow
    simply... wow

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    I go away for a short time and so many amazing photographs get posted!!! There's a lot of great work here.

Here is one from my recent trip to Lake Erie, H3DII39, 35mm, f16 at 1/4 sec:

And of course I met a few more ice fishermen!

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm going back here guys, been away; Jim, I like all of yours but this one is great. The patterned background is great too.

I'm still going through the other images.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, and I love the photograph of the man!

Kind regards,
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow
    simply... wow
    +1 !!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

+1 !!!
    Thank you Jack! My hands and feet still hurt from the cold.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yesterday's post. H3D 39 + HC150 + TC 1.7

Post Thanks / Like

Derek,

This is a stunning image, I'm glad you didn't get carried away with the color.

Ed

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can I be naughty and ask what you're doing with the processing Jim? That look is incredible...

Not that the look is anything without your vision, love the portraits Jim.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Woody – Beautiful stunning image. WOW!

Jim – February’s POD’s are getting better with each passing day. Not sure which I like more the mechanic/engineer or fisherman mark. Each has it’s own unique qualities and tones. Lovely.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, I saw this on your blog feed and liked it there. It is a wonderful image, the mood is very moody yet peaceful. Nice work.

Jim I agree with Don on your POD. Great stuff, I tried finding a blog feed on your site. Are these POD blogged somewhere?

ED

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Can I be naughty and ask what you're doing with the processing Jim? That look is incredible...

Not that the look is anything without your vision, love the portraits Jim.
    Thanks Ben! I actually do very little in processing. I use Nik Silver Efex for the conversion.. I have 2 custom tone curves I use depending on the mood of the image. For portraits, I typically choose Red filter and modify the intensity of that filtration to suit the image.. I have a slight amount of Tri-x grain that I add in all of the images (I started with the Tri-x film definition, and used that as my initial base for the tone curves). Most of the image is due to a combination of lens (Zeiss 110/2, always shot wide open for this series), and the light (always overcast or shaded)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Woody, I saw this on your blog feed and liked it there. It is a wonderful image, the mood is very moody yet peaceful. Nice work.

Jim I agree with Don on your POD. Great stuff, I tried finding a blog feed on your site. Are these POD blogged somewhere?

ED
    Thanks Ed,

The series is being maintained at http://www.blipfoto.com/JamesCollum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to all who have taken the time to comment - its really helpful.

Both of the threads of Jim's work strike me as very powerful, and I add my voice to the praise of Derek's frozen lake.

Here's yesterday's post"