Site Sponsors
Page 91 of 386 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,550 of 19288

Thread: Fun with MF images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with MF images

Fantastic view Wayne! I LOVE my Max. I just ordered my second Alpa lens after my trial run.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    First field trip with my new Alpa setup. Nothing spectacular, but a couple of nice things. I enjoyed the experience and challenge of using the system, and was really pleased with the sharpness of the files even into the corners.

Alpa 12max, Schneider 47mm XL, PhaseOne p65+
    Absolutely gorgeous Wayne!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hate looking at images from the Alpa it just gets my buy button shaking like crazy. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hate looking at images from the Alpa it just gets my buy button shaking like crazy. LOL
    Oh go ahead - you know you need it, or is that want it?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I want one too. My dilemma is I also want a sliding back. ALpa says there is no way you can get a sliding back to hold enough precision for high-res digital, but Arca disagrees. In my ideal world, I'd own the Arca RM3D with the Arca Rotaslide, but the Alpa is close second...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My dilemma is I also want a sliding back. ALpa says there is no way you can get a sliding back to hold enough precision for high-res digital, but Arca disagrees.
    Alpa made a prototype, the Alpa 12 SST - 25mm rise & fall, 25mm shift left & right with a sliding back. They must have seen something they did not like. I wonder if anyone has tried one. Apparently, they made five of them. Would be nice to try one.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Fun with MF images

...I also want a sliding back. ALpa says there is no way you can get a sliding back to hold enough precision for high-res digital...
    Simple mechanical systems can easily hold position within 1/10,000 of an inch if you want to spend the money. I've designed a number of them.

It's possible that some characteristic of their system prevents them from achieving that kind of precision, but it's not a universal problem.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I want one too. My dilemma is I also want a sliding back. ALpa says there is no way you can get a sliding back to hold enough precision for high-res digital, but Arca disagrees. In my ideal world, I'd own the Arca RM3D with the Arca Rotaslide, but the Alpa is close second...
    It would be nice. I just did the infinity calibration setup with the Alpa, and was actually surprised at how much difference adding .05mm distance was so maybe there's something to what Alpa claims.

However, it certainly seems possible that a sliding back can hold precision. Maybe it can't be tuned into "infinity" as precisely, but if you are focusing with loupe on the ground glass, not sure the infinity thing really applies. I haven't shot the camera yet with infinity set as the focus.

I find myself not putting the ground glass on too often. Just using the viewfinder then taking test shots to lock in composition. Probably would be different if I could just slide the ground glass over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack - the arTec is YOUR camera (actually mine, too ). Integrated sliding back (therefore no issues with alignement), shift and tilt&swing at all focal lengths...

Post Thanks / Like

Cape Byron lighthouse, first sun light, 12 August 2010 - H2, P20, 80mm f2.8

Dawn's early light by Photography by Odille, on Flickr
    Odille

H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However, it certainly seems possible that a sliding back can hold precision. Maybe it can't be tuned into "infinity" as precisely, but if you are focusing with loupe on the ground glass, not sure the infinity thing really applies.
    it's impossible to focus a wide angle lens accurately enough for infintiy on the GG...
    That's the nice thing about helical focus mounts - infinity is safe ground (assumed that the lenses/the back are calibrated accurately to infinity).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Jack - the arTec is YOUR camera (actually mine, too ). Integrated sliding back (therefore no issues with alignement), shift and tilt&swing at all focal lengths...
    Just having the sliding back integrated with the camera body does not insure perfect alignment. The issue is disparity between the exact GG plane and the exact sensor plane.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just having the sliding back integrated with the camera body does not insure perfect alignment. The issue is disparity between the exact GG plane and the exact sensor plane.
    Sinar knows how to make cameras... I think precision is not a issue here. And even if, I think it's not a big deal to adjust the GG to the exact same distance as the sensor of your digback.
    It's more important that the lenses resp. the sensor spacing is calibrated acurrately for infinity. But that is really easy to do with helical focus mount lenses. My lenses focussed beyond infinity ex factory. After (self made) adjustment they are not only tack sharp at infinity... also my groundglass happens to be aligned accurately. At least accurately enough to focus on the GG and get consistent results. The fastest digital LF lenses are f4 anyway... so there is a bit of headroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Imagine how different things would be if they can ever implement live view on an MFDB back with a decent LCD display and 20x zoom for focusing. May never even put a ground glass on the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    , I think it's not a big deal to adjust the GG to the exact same distance as the sensor of your digback.
    It's not only the same distance that is critical, but also having both be perfectly perpendicular to the lens centerline!

It's more important that the lenses resp. the sensor spacing is calibrated acurrately for infinity.
    No offense, but this is totally IRRELEVANT if you are using the calibrated GG above to focus, even if your lens happens to over focus infinity!!! However, *IF* you are zone focusing, then yes, calibration is important.

Finally note that many lenses over focus infinity at normal temperatures to accommodate thermal expansion of the lens barrel as temps rise...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Imagine how different things would be if they can ever implement live view on an MFDB back with a decent LCD display and 20x zoom for focusing. May never even put a ground glass on the camera.
    For sure! FWIW, the Betterlight scanning back has an electronic live-view histogram focus -- this was so accurate you could actually choose which color CHANNEL you wanted in perfect focus! You could see each channel bar in the histogram maximize contrast as you racked focus. It also proved that most APO badged lenses were not truly APO!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not only the same distance that is critical, but also having both be perfectly perpendicular to the lens centerline!
    this applies to all cameras; not sure why it would be more critical with tech cameras. All the manufacturers work within tolerances of 1/100 mm. With Tilt/Swing things may become more complicated depending on how it is bulit. The arTec has a safe zero lock and as far I am concerned I'd say it works reliable.
    Besides I don't think a groundglass is really accurate enough working with wide angles and focussing near infinity. Up from a certain distance (depending on the focal length) everything appears to be in focus. So at wide distances you won't focus on the GG. It's a bit different with longer lenses... IMO... as the magnification factor makes focussing a bit easier.

No offense, but this is totally IRRELEVANT if you are using the calibrated GG above to focus, even if your lens happens to over focus infinity!!!
    with helical focus mount when the lens does not quite reach focus at infinitiy (i.e. it focusses slightly closer than infinity) you'll have a problem that is not exactly "irrelevent". In this case the image may very well appear to be sharp on the GG but it won't in the final capture. The other way around: the slightest focussing beyond infinity will render the capture soft... even a lot of DOF won't help. For focussing at closer distances you are right... any infinity calibration of the lens isn't necessary (like on a view camera) but an acurrate alignment of the GG is mandatory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course gentlemen - lets not forget t make sure that teh chip in teh actual back is aligned perfectly..hmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Of course gentlemen - lets not forget t make sure that teh chip in teh actual back is aligned perfectly..hmmm
    of course a lot of horrible things can happen all the time...
    A misaligned sensor is not a particularity of tech cameras; it would also show up on the 645 camera (unless it's the camera interface of the tech camera that is off).
    Tilt, Swing or Rotation of the sensor should be serviced, of course...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly! Bottom line is my point was everything needs to be proper alignment: from the back sensor positioning itself, through the back mounting flange, through any sliding back front and rear mounting flanges, through the camera body mounting flange and focus screen parallelism -- and getting all of those to be held within the tiny tolerances required is a non-trivial task.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly! Bottom line is my point was everything needs to be proper alignment: from the back sensor positioning itself, through the back mounting flange, through any sliding back front and rear mounting flanges, through the camera body mounting flange and focus screen parallelism -- and getting all of those to be held within the tiny tolerances required is a non-trivial task.
    100% agree!
    As you were talking about a sliding I mentioned the arTec were the entire rear plate is one piece. So bascially it's not an additional piece that has to match - if there is something off, it's "just" a matter of alignement of the GG or the sensor... as it is with all the other tech cameras.
    It's by design completely different from a separate detachble/attachable sliding back.

Post Thanks / Like

This was an idea I came up with between showers at Porth Nanven in Cornwall. I was learning how to drive the Linhof Techno with my P45+ back (this shot using Super-Symmar 110XL) and wanted to put the movements through their paces. I wanted to try to make the seaweed 'float' above a blank background. Thus I set the plane of focus above the sand, necessitating swing and tilt (and swearing) to do so due to the diagonally sloping beach. Because the GG is comparatively so small to 5x4, I shot at several apertures to give a range of focus bands, I think this one is f8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    This was an idea I came up with between showers at Porth Nanven in Cornwall. I was learning how to drive the Linhof Techno with my P45+ back (this shot using Super-Symmar 110XL) and wanted to put the movements through their paces. I wanted to try to make the seaweed 'float' above a blank background. Thus I set the plane of focus above the sand, necessitating swing and tilt (and swearing) to do so due to the diagonally sloping beach. Because the GG is comparatively so small to 5x4, I shot at several apertures to give a range of focus bands, I think this one is f8.
    Very nice. I'll admit I needed to read your description of the shot as my first thought was the images was of a spinal cord!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

First field trip with my new Alpa setup. Nothing spectacular, but a couple of nice things. I enjoyed the experience and challenge of using the system, and was really pleased with the sharpness of the files even into the corners.

I hope that nobody minds if I quote this again...Great shot Wayne and thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Odille, Great lighthouse image. The sky works so nicely to bring attention to the fantastic side lighting on the lighthouse. Kudos!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking and learning for awhile, such a great site. This is my first attempt at using Helicon Focus, this is a 3 panel stitch that is made up of 5 images each for the wings and 7 images of the main body that I then stitched in CS5. I shot this using a H3DII-31 with the HC 120 macro.

Bob Davis

Tight fit for a tour bus in a tunnel.

Phase 1 P65 handheld, ISO 200, 1/350, f5.6, 45mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teager View Post
    This is my first post here, but I have been lurking and learning for awhile, such a great site. This is my first attempt at using Helicon Focus, this is a 3 panel stitch that is made up of 5 images each for the wings and 7 images of the main body that I then stitched in CS5. I shot this using a H3DII-31 with the HC 120 macro.
    Welcome to GetDpi. That's one heck of an image!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few from the Canadian Shield around Georgian Bay. In order, 55 mm LS, 150 mm D, 80 mm LS - the only three lenses I used all weeK!

The last one is a compilation using Helicon Focus but here it looks a little TOO sharp!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few from the annual "Woodward Dream Cruise". Rather than the stuff I usually post from this event each year, I've also uploaded a few fun image in the spirit of the day.

The Cruise day was overcast, and it started raining about an hour into my time there, so I cut it short. My main objective was to "test drive" a new H/C 35-90 ... plus, I also took the HC 300 tele to see how it workred on the H4D/40 with the improved focusing.

Most shots done on a mono-pod @ ISO 400 and 800.

The HC 35-90 is awesome ... (I already knew the 300 was optically great) ... what was fab to find out was how fast and accurate the H4D/40 focused the 300mm even on moving subjects. In past I had used a Zeiss 350/4 and missed quite a few shots trying to focus on the moving hot rods ... with the HC 300 I missed very few times. Bodes well for expanded use of the MFD kit for things I might have done with a 35mm DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice series Marc! We have a small cabin on a smaller lake in the Sierras, and one property owner has one of those little boat-cars (car-boats?). Anyway it is a kick to see it buzzing its way around the lake, driver and passengers enjoying their evening cocktails!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post

The last one is a compilation using Helicon Focus but here it looks a little TOO sharp!
    Very nice series Bill!

Re sharpening: One thing I have noticed, especially with the P65+ and good glass, is that I typically do not need any further process sharpening. IOW, I do capture sharpen (lightly) during conversion in C1, but then have basically stopped doing process sharpening in CS. I will do a touch of output sharpening as required based on output and size. For web, this is usually stepped down-sizing in CS at 50% increments, using bi-cubic sharper on the first two only, then plain bicubic afterward to target size. So far seems to be working quite well for me.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Treking in the High Atlas with the P25+ and the Hassie SWC BIOGON ; our guide was also musician :

Developped with ACR.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still love the look of the P25+
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Really gorgeous image, Wayne! ken

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice series Bill!

Re sharpening: One thing I have noticed, especially with the P65+ and good glass, is that I typically do not need any further process sharpening. IOW, I do capture sharpen (lightly) during conversion in C1, but then have basically stopped doing process sharpening in CS. I will do a touch of output sharpening as required based on output and size. For web, this is usually stepped down-sizing in CS at 50% increments, using bi-cubic sharper on the first two only, then plain bicubic afterward to target size. So far seems to be working quite well for me.
    I second Jack's assessment on sharpening with the P65+. I have found the best results with zero sharpening and NR in C1, noise reduction if needed with Topaz Labs DeNoise 5 (excellent), and no sharpening until output.

My comparisons lead me to conclude that the P65+ properly processed is at least as sharp when comparing large prints to 5x7 and 90% of the 8x10 stuff I have seen. Since I do a lot of panoramic images I am feeling better off with a single P65+ capture than 6x17 images I have seen in large prints.

Especially with the Schneider 35mm XL, I can easily print a single capture at my maximum print size of 120". Usually with no sharpening or .2/180 unsharp mask. When printing that large, the digital noise of sharpening has more impact than no sharpening at all.

Using my previous method of capture/raw sharpening and NR in C1 with output sharpening just didn't stand up to large prints.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned is the output scaling in C1 is incredibly good compared to bicubic modes in PS5 and all other enlargement software I have tested.

Now if I could just find some really good C1 profiles to emulate popular landscape films (velvia especially) it would make my life a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the P40+ i use in C1 presharpen 1 and pretty much call it a day. It's very slight and I also backed off from clarity like I did with the P30+ since this back seems much better without the micro lenses which on the P30+ I used clarity to punch the mid tones. But as far as CS5 I do no sharpening there unless i really want to push it in large prints on my 7900 but that is a rare moment. I'm after look more than sharpness

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More pictures of my high Atlas treck with the P25+ and Hassie swc Biogon :

The Happy Men Valley like as inhabitants call it.

http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice series Marc! We have a small cabin on a smaller lake in the Sierras, and one property owner has one of those little boat-cars (car-boats?). Anyway it is a kick to see it buzzing its way around the lake, driver and passengers enjoying their evening cocktails!
    That's a hoot Jack. Not sure I'd be drinking and driving in one of those things on the water ... LOL!

I can thank Guy for striving to eliminate 35mm DSLRs from the old gear closet ... which this little exercise took me a step closer to doing.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea have to agree Marc our 40 mpx machines eliminate a lot of stuff. We both enjoy high ISO's and faster cams . Can't beat that with a stick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great series, St Laurent! I especially like the first one.
    Congratulations!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Ed, Jack, thanks for your comments. For printing I generally leave sharpening at the C1 default and then use Pixel Genius in CS for output sharpening. Gives nice detail without looking too digital, if you know what I mean.

Interestingly, for the web pix I post here I find that using C1's "Soft Image Sharpening 1" (at 2000 pixels) is a quick and dirty way of processing! But that didn't work with the Helicon shot.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another 55LS from Georgian Bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the look from this lens but maybe a little long for the P40+ . Hoping maybe a 35mm LS someday or even a 40mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefane, very nice series! (Happy Men Valley? Too funny!)

Bill, Do you by any chance any 55 images shot wide open, even just a snap? (FWIW, you are really making me lust for that 55, but I'd like to see a wide open shot!)
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to see all you got Bill on the 55mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Taken today with the 180mm f2.8 PQ lens

Will finish retouching it tomorrow.
    http://www.graham-mitchell.com Graham Mitchell
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

DerekJ

A friend & client of Optechs let me ride along in the heli on a recent shoot. It was a gray day, so I didn't get the grand skyline and space needle shots that I wanted, but I had a great time regardless. Here are a couple of images. P45+, 645AF, 80D, f2.8 and ISO 200. I varied the shutter speed between 1/800 and 1/1600.

Cheers,
    Derek
    Attachment 34600
    Attachment 34601