Page 92 of 386 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,600 of 19289

Thread: Fun with MF images

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Stefane, very nice series! (Happy Men Valley? Too funny!)

Bill, Do you by any chance any 55 images shot wide open, even just a snap? (FWIW, you are really making me lust for that 55, but I'd like to see a wide open shot!)
    I'll post a few full aperture shots in the next few days.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I'll post a few full aperture shots in the next few days.
    Bill
    You're awesome!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, here are a few test shots. Not a very appealing subject and rather poorly lit with consequent underexposure of the books, but I didn't have much time and was testing for sharpness only. I hope they will help. Shot with the P65+ and 55 mm LS lens mounted on a Gitzo with the Cube and an electronic cable release with MLU.

All shots were processed with C1 defaults only, except I used the automatic Lens Correction tool for the Schneider 55 LS lens. Also the corner shots were lightened a bit in PS.

The first one is the full frame at f2.8. Focus was on the "Image Clarity" book in the center. (good choice, don't you think?) The next is that book at 100%.

The next three are of the extreme left side at 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

The next three are the bottom right corner, again at 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

You will note that there is a fair amount of light fall-off in the f2.8 shot - easily corrected of course.

This final shot is the same bottom right corner at f2.8 BUT with C1's corner sharpness applied at +100%. It lacks smoothness on the screen, but in print it looks perfectly natural.

My verdict is that this lens is very sharp at full aperture except for the extreme corners which also have modest vignetting of about one stop or less. They clean up nicely by f5.6. I haven't posted any f8 shots (ran out of gallery space!) but they show a further small improvement in contrast.

A keeper for sure.

Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

All the talk about the Phase One bodies and new camera bracket made me go back to a couple images that I took long time ago using the Phase One AFD III and first the P30+ followed by the P45+ just prior to selling the gear and moving 100% to the Cambo WRS.

OR beach, P45+ and Phase One P45+ and Mamiya 28mm (January 28, 2009)

South Rim - P30+ and Mamiya AFDII and Mamiya 28mm (December 9, 2007)

South Rim - P45+ and Cambo WRS and 72mm (December 15, 2009)

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My verdict is that this lens is very sharp at full aperture except for the extreme corners which also have modest vignetting of about one stop or less. They clean up nicely by f5.6. I haven't posted any f8 shots (ran out of gallery space!) but they show a further small improvement in contrast.

A keeper for sure.

Bill
    Bill, thank you in the extreme for this. IMHO, the falloff and slight corner softness wide open is actually a feature for generating a look I'm after. Then given both all but disappear by f5.6 is another big plus, giving me a "two-fer" in one lens.

Best,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don:

Love that beach shot a LOT!

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don:

Love that beach shot a LOT!

Thanks Jack. I took that shot on a side trip to OR while I was shooting the Redwoods with my then new WRS; returned home and started selling off the gear to finance more glass for the Cambo. This turned out to be one of the last images taken with that combo.

Funny thing is that there's some gear I regret selling however the Cambo WRS fits me so well that I've never regretted the sale.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill, thank you in the extreme for this. IMHO, the falloff and slight corner softness wide open is actually a feature for generating a look I'm after. Then given both all but disappear by f5.6 is another big plus, giving me a "two-fer" in one lens.

Best,
    Have to agree , lens looks pretty darn awesome. Just looking at my new 80 LS stuff. Wow is the word of the day.

Think I will start knitting another sky mask for the 55 and 110
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    All the talk about the Phase One bodies and new camera bracket made me go back to a couple images that I took long time ago using the Phase One AFD III and first the P30+ followed by the P45+ just prior to selling the gear and moving 100% to the Cambo WRS.

Don
    "A long time ago"? like 18 months? I may disagree with your definition, but the images are timeless!
    I'm envious,
    Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"A long time ago"? like 18 months? I may disagree with your definition, but the images are timeless!
    I'm envious,
    Bill
    I must of been channeling Ray Bradley while I wrote that...

Besides around here 18 months is a lifetime considering the amount of gear that's passed through our hands.

Thanks for the kind words on the images.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

18 months? I can't remember more than a month or two. I have to go to my blog to see where I have been the last couple of years.

Here is one from my recent trip to Colorado that was processed last night.

I am posting this uncropped to show the image circle and stitch offset. It is a full right and left (20mm) two image shift on the cambo WRS/P65 with the APO-Digitar 72mm. I am still struggling with this lens but this capture is excellent. Makes my problems with the lens even more perplexing.

Paradise Dawning shot from Paradise Divide near Crested Butte. I believe the mountain across the canyon is Purple Mountain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    I am still struggling with this lens...
    may I ask in how far you are struggling with the lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wondering the same ED . Looks really good here . I would expect some cutoff anyway
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, fist off, nice composition.

I realize it's a work in progress, but may I ask what you're using to stitch? To my eyes, this stitch isn't very good, showing pretty obvious and straight vertical "blend" lines at the seams...

One other nit, the shadow slider was maybe too high, and then not enough contrast back into the foreground greens.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, fist off, nice composition.

I realize it's a work in progress, but may I ask what you're using to stitch? To my eyes, this stitch isn't very good, showing pretty obvious and straight vertical "blend" lines at the seams...

One other nit, the shadow slider was maybe too high, and then not enough contrast back into the foreground greens.
    Good points Jack and thanks for commenting. I haven't really done any processing on this image. Perhaps my idea of posting a non-processed image was not the best but I wanted to show the image circle on the 72mm.

This was stitched in CS5 with reposition, the actual blend lines are anything but straight but I'll check it out. I did notice a could spots in the clouds ould be exaggerated because I down sampled from 13000+ pixels wide to 1600 in one step to post here.

I would agree with your assessment on the contrast my monitor is calibrated to the lightjet printer I use. I normally add contrast for web but didn't do anything to this print since it was pre-everything. Normally I found it better to process with less contrast until I get most of the corrections finished and produce a test print. I can drop the darks without adding noise but if I start too dark and try to bring up the shadows noise becomes an issue. So on my screen the greens are dark and rich.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Wondering the same ED . Looks really good here . I would expect some cutoff anyway
    Please take this with a grain of salt because I am working through the issue still but I have times when my 72mm looks terrible. A few days after this image was taken which looks really sharp (to me) I had some really great images that were too soft to use. The focusing in this shot was much more critical so I'm not sure what the problem is. Here is a higher res version of this image.

Paradise Dawning

This image (which is also a two shot stitch) is so soft it is not usable.

I have four Schneider lenses from 24-150 and this is the only lens that I have issues with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This image (which is also a two shot stitch) is so soft it is not usable.
    (...)
    I have four Schneider lenses from 24-150 and this is the only lens that I have issues with.
    Was that shot focussed at infinity? Maybe your 72mm is not accurately adjusted for infinity? If at infinity setting the lens actually focusses beyond infinity everything will go soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Was that shot focussed at infinity? Maybe your 72mm is not accurately adjusted for infinity? If at infinity setting the lens actually focusses beyond infinity everything will go soft.
    We are thinking it is that or the sensor is slightly off. I had shootable light for 3-4 hours that morning so I'm not sure exactly what the shooting parameters were. I'll let you know what I find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are thinking it is that or the sensor is slightly off.
    If you use the DB only on your WRS I wouldn't worry about the sensor. I'd simply adjust the lens as it is really easy to do.
    (unless the sensor shows tilt and/or swing and/or rotation... in this case it's another story but, of course, you would see it with all your lenses).

My lenses focussed beyond infinity ex factory ... I also use the WRS, however I use Contax mount.

I'll let you know what I find.
    that would be nice - many thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We are thinking it is that or the sensor is slightly off. I had shootable light for 3-4 hours that morning so I'm not sure exactly what the shooting parameters were. I'll let you know what I find.
    Ed - odd that you're having the trouble with the 72mm as I either use that or my 120mm the most (like you all my lenses are Schneider). Did the lens get banged up any? I also wouldn't think it be a sensor fault especially if your other lenses are okay. How does the focal ring feel as you turn it? Is it still tight? Hell - this seems to be a great time for Doug to chime in...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Ed - odd that you're having the trouble with the 72mm as I either use that or my 120mm the most (like you all my lenses are Schneider). Did the lens get banged up any? I also wouldn't think it be a sensor fault especially if your other lenses are okay. How does the focal ring feel as you turn it? Is it still tight? Hell - this seems to be a great time for Doug to chime in...

Don
    Everything feels fine but you know I was carrying it when the cliff dropped out from under me. 25-30' fall but it was in the camera bag and we sent it back to cambo for a checkup.

I am home for the next month so I will have time to do a little more testing. Like you, this is my bread and butter lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd simply adjust the lens as it is really easy to do.
    To elaborate further…

The focus ring consists of two rings (please see attachment): the ribbed ring that actually drives the helical focus and a second ring that shows the distance indication. Ring #2 locks ring #1 at infinity.
    Just loosen the 3 screws on ring #2 and you can focus beyond the infinity lock.

procedure:
    - tether
    - center the lens (resp. the back)
    - point the camera to a subject at infinity. For the 72mm lens a subject at 70 meters (for every lens the focal length in meters is a good reference, so 28 meters for 28mm lens, 50 meters for the 47XL and so on); it's very helpful if the motif also contains clear distinguishable elements nearer and farer than your 70 meters spot (for instance a row of houses shot from an appropriate angle is perfect) so that you can clearly see where the actual focus spot is
    - shoot wide open, set C1 to sharpening preset "version 3 soft look" (or something smooth) and vary the focus distance until infinity is sharp (i.e. tack sharp from 70meters and further)
    - when you've adjusted the accurate focus setting carefully turn ring #2 back so that it locks at infinity
    - tighten the 3 screws
    … done. Takes you half an hour or so when you do it for the first time and maybe 15 minutes for the next lenses.
    This is the first thing I do with every new lens… even very little adjustments may improve sharpness at infintiy significantly. It's bascially the same as Alpa's back shimming… just on the other side of the system (and, of course, you have to do it for every lens whilst Alpa's back shimming ideally ensures accurate infinity adjustment for all Alpa lenses).
    Last edited by thomas; 26th August 2010 at 14:51.

Post Thanks / Like

To elaborate further…
    Thank you for that explanation Thomas. I will try that when I get back in town monday and post the results since several are involved.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    this is my first post/image on the forum. The image is from the Minor Fatra mountain ridge towards the West Tatras.
    M-AFDIII.,Leaf Aptus 65s,80/2,8D
    Last edited by ceh; 29th March 2011 at 00:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent for me.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the white vertical object left of centre ?
    Last edited by MartinE; 27th August 2010 at 02:24. Reason: ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinE View Post
    What is the white vertical object left of centre ?
    A smokestack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Hello,
    this is my first post/image on the forum. The image is from the Minor Fatra mountain ridge towards the West Tatras.
    M-AFDIII.,Leaf Aptus 65s,80/2,8D
    Hello Ceh, and welcome to GetDPI! My compliments on an excellent first post too!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,
    Thanks for the compliment. I've added another photo..
    M-AFDIII.,Leaf Aptus 65s,150/3,5.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ceh - another welcome! Two splendid compositions, very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    ceh - another welcome! Two splendid compositions, very nice.
    cmb,
    Thanks..
    M-AFDIII.,Leaf Aptus 65s,Carl Zeiss Distagon 4/40CFE IF for Hasseblad V

Post Thanks / Like

My HC 55-110 lens arrived last week. A couple of shots

Grevillea - used the on camera flash as it was very overcast and in a dark part of the garden. H2, f12, 1/160 handheld

Grevillea by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

Lorikeet during feeding time at Currumbin Sanctuary. H2, f4.5, 1/160 handheld

Lorikeet at Currumbin Sanctuary by Photography by Odille, on Flickr
    Odille

H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look who's having fun now!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kudos, Terry, it was only a matter of time. Btw, which back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Series on Night Scenes around Singapore...starting with this one. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC4/28 lens.

More pics and larger ones 1920 wide on my blog:

http://peter-chong.blogspot.com/2010...ll-street.html

More to come next week.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Look who's having fun now!!!!
    Terry, you look good with that kit in your hand

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, nice work on those night shots around Singapore. Visiting there is on my bucket list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautifull night shot !

With the ALPA 12swa , SK47mmXL, P25+ :

In the Quartier Francais of Shanghai.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

two new photos, first one was from last weekend and the second was from tonight both shot with H4D-40 and 35-90mm

This is a saltlake about 180kms from where I live, not often you find it with water in it!

Cheers
    Will.
    www.williamophuis.com

Hassy H4D-40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will, both are stunning, good work!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulation Will, I do like the 2nd with the whirlpool effect.
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Will Ophuis;241104]two new photos, first one was from last weekend and the second was from tonight both shot with H4D-40 and 35-90mm
    Will,
    Very nice.
    H3D22,80/2,8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mike and David...in a few days time you will see a different Avatar with me behind a tech camera. So, the pairing is P40+ with Rm3d. For sure keeping the Phase body and probably a very, very small kit,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like to welcome a reinvented member to the MF section. The queen of 4/3rds found a new home.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Go Girl!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ophuis View Post
    two new photos, first one was from last weekend and the second was from tonight both shot with H4D-40 and 35-90mm

This is a saltlake about 180kms from where I live, not often you find it with water in it!

Cheers
    Will.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Since I realized that selling my MF gear would probably mean to give it away for (IMO) too low prices I ended up in keeping it (at least so far).
    Since right now I dont feel the patience and creativity to shoot "real" MF subjects I decided to also use MF more often again for snapshots.
    Here is one with the 80 Xenotar at f2.8, ISO 800.
    And yes- I guess the milk tasted good.

I still really do like the drawing of the Hy6-lenses and also of the Sinar back. ISO 800 is fully usable IMO (not only when reduced for web)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add something else since I had never used the 80 Xenotar so much before.
    I believe I underrated this lens and used the 110/2.0 too often instead (which is a great lens for sure but also monster big and heavy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Since right now I dont feel the patience and creativity to shoot "real" MF subjects I decided to also use MF more often again for snapshots.

Well IMHO this is a real shot that you will enjoy for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Since I realized that selling my MF gear would probably mean to give it away for (IMO) too low prices I ended up in keeping it (at least so far).

I still really do like the drawing of the Hy6-lenses and also of the Sinar back. ISO 800 is fully usable IMO (not only when reduced for web)

Awwwww, so cute
    -bob