The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I think I finally have a colour version I prefer to the b&w version. Your thoughts?

I really like it, but I wonder what a b/w version that's more "silvery" would look like. I also have this nagging want to see a b/w where the texture of the freckles is wwaaayyyy more pronounced.

Something simulating a blue filter on b/w film might do the trick.

Still... fantastic stuff. :thumbup:

ETA: So... I took it and did a simple blue filter simulation by having the base color layer with a blue photo filter layer above with a hue/saturation layer above that totally desaturated. If I turned the density on the photofilter to about 70% it looked fantastically textured, if not a bit noisy though.

Layers looked like:
HUE/SAT Adjustment Layer (desaturated)
PHOTO FILTER Adjustment Layer (using the "blue" preset with the density around 70%)
BASE Layer

Last edited:

JimCollum

another one from the Mission

(soon to be closed if things continue with the Budget here...)

carstenw

Stunning images, Graham. I prefer the first one as they are, but if you were able to shoot the second one without the blue/white house, I would prefer that one. It looks like a raised vantage-point might achieve that. Is it possible?

Is the light in the bright spot of the sky in the first image blown out, or just very bright? The colour shifts in that area are quite interesting.

Don Libby

Agree, both images are stunning Graham but my eye keeps being drawn to the second.

Beautiful work!

Don

J

jmvdigital

Graham, the first image is amazing. I agree that the house in the second is distracting, I'd prefer to just see the horizon so it's only the two boats. Really great though.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Graham,

Another vote for the first one! I prefer the general composition of the second one, but the blue and white boat in the background kind of kills the mood of the older boats.

Also a minor nit is there is some magenta-cyan banding visible in the dark to light purple to sky transition. Hopefully this just a jpeg artifact and not in the originals? Not sure which raw processor you are using, but is there a slider to pull highlights down? That may help it. Also, I had a similar problem with some images early on when "Open GL" was turned on in CS4. I eventually turned it completely off to eliminate the similar artifacts.

My .02 offered only FWIW,

jlm

Workshop Member

since we are nit-picking...the trailer interrupts the line of the bow in #1. this sort of thing is tough to see with the load of stuff in a 40mm image

Ebe

Two from this last friday.
Found an old panel truck in a
neighbors yard.

Mamiya AFDII, P30, 120 Macro/D, ISO-100, 1/90th, F/9.5, FS-3

Mamiya AFDII, P30, 55mm, ISO-100, 1/10th, F/9.5, FS-4

Graham Mitchell

since we are nit-picking...the trailer interrupts the line of the bow in #1. this sort of thing is tough to see with the load of stuff in a 40mm image
I can take all the constructive criticism you guys can dish out :) Funny that you should write this. I just finished retouching out the trailer. Updated now and I cropped it tighter to give the boats a bit more impact.

When I first posted the pics I had not slept for 30 hours and retouching was the last thing on my mind :)

Jack, which image are you referring to, or is it both?

carstenw

Looks much nicer. Hard to compare since the old one is gone :) There is a touch of darkness just to the left of the rope still, and between the rope and pole, there is some more. This part looks like it doesn't quite fit with the squeeky clean horizon you added closer to the boat. The thin bright line at the top of the ocean is thicker and messier or something. Still, stunning light, nicely seen and captured. You didn't sleep all night? What time was it taken? What were the exposure parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.