The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmvdigital

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Don, the processing on those first two images is smokin'!

Don Libby

I didn't spend too much time on these as the intent was to see what each one looked like compared to the other. It was calm when I started shooting and turned windy towards the end so I now have a major cleaning job to do in the morning with the lens and sensor.

None of the images have been cropped, just resized to fit here. Not too sure of the sharpness of the 24 on the edges; I'll have to check in the morning and see. Never liked shooting that much with center filters but decided after researching that the 24 needed it so got it. The 120 is interesting as it's the newer shorter barrel with a spacer that fits on the back.

I'm playing around with the groundglass and focusing hood and can tell that I like that. The thought process on this was to be able to use filters better than hit or miss. I used the ground glass to setup a shot at an old corral this afternoon and must say it was nice to see what I was doing so I have this feeling that I'll be using this more often than what I had expected.

The plan is to sit down soon and attempt to put all my thoughts on paper (that's scary) regarding the RS and the 4 lens I now have and post that on my blog.

Mark - Let me check on the 24mm image and I'll get back with you regarding the corners; I can also send you the file if you'd like to see for yourself.

The images were taken on Mt Lemmon Road which is an old forest road that leads up the back-way to Mt Lemmon. Primitive road with all the warnings however you still see the occasional little car trying to make it.

Don

Henry Goh

The following images were all shot this morning using my Cambo RS1000. The images were either f/11 or f/8. I kept the camera in place while I changed lens. No post processing other than LLC have been made (with the exception of the 120 as I failed to get a LLC).

I did this exercise mainly so I could see the differences in the lens. One of the little things I found out today is that I really can't shift the 24mm any more than 5mm.

Don
Don,

It is difficult to make judgment from web size images but I get a sense that although the 24mm gives a more dramatic view, the 35mm produces a more "believable" wide angle image. Makes one feels he was at the scene.

Thanks for doing this comparison, the images really help if someone is shopping for those lenses and cannot afford to buy all 4 in one go.

Have fun.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. Many thanks to any and all who have put on a soldier's uniform during their lifetime.

Kurt

Don Libby

Don,

It is difficult to make judgment from web size images but I get a sense that although the 24mm gives a more dramatic view, the 35mm produces a more "believable" wide angle image. Makes one feels he was at the scene.

Thanks for doing this comparison, the images really help if someone is shopping for those lenses and cannot afford to buy all 4 in one go.

Have fun.
Henry

I agree, web images just don't tell the whole story but remember the image shot with the 24mm had a center filter so that has to add something to the overall "view".
I can see times when the 24 will be the "go to" lens while other times the 35 might be a better fit.

And just to clarify something - the RS came with the 35mm and I picked up the 72 about a month later when I found a smoking deal. The 24 and 120 along with the groundglass (this was what I called my Santa's List:LOL:) were bought only due to the sale of my Phase body and all my Mamiya glass, otherwise it would have been piecemeal with the 120 being the next one. The weird way of thinking is I figure the 24 replaces my 28...

I hope to some crops of the corners to show the resolution a little better. I'll put all this information in a separate thread to take it off this one. I feel I'm hogging this thread and for that I apologize.

Don

carstenw

I like super-wides, but I find that they require large prints to be effective. If you are making a photo with a super-wide but then showing the results either small or on the screen, there is a conflict in the viewing angle which I personally find it hard to bridge.

Don Libby

I like super-wides, but I find that they require large prints to be effective. If you are making a photo with a super-wide but then showing the results either small or on the screen, there is a conflict in the viewing angle which I personally find it hard to bridge.
Carsten

I like super-wides as well and use them here in the Southwest. I think Monument Valley was meant to be captured either with a super-wide or long lens and have done both, likewise the Grand Canyon. I could have used a super-wide lens in the Sequoia's or Redwoods but only had a 35mm; my next trip to the Redwoods will be shot with the 24.

As far as printing goes I agree with you there as well and regularly print 32x28 and panoramas 30x60 and larger.

It is often very difficult to convey the feeling or meaning of a large print image on a computer monitor. Actually it's difficult to convey just about any image on a web image.

What I like the most about having the 24mm in my kit is now I have it to use when I need it. While I might name my lens they are nevertheless still just tools in the bag to suite the particular need at the time.

Hope this didn't come across too cranky as I writing this while waiting for the first cup of coffee to kick in.

Don

jerome

Classic and almost nothing :)

H3DII 31 , 120 mm

In fact I mainly use outdoors the 28 mm and the 120 mm now, I find thoses lenses so good.

carstenw

Jerome, I *really* like that. I am a big fan of the "found details" in life.

Evgeny, really nice portrait. I find that her skin looks a touch waxy in the crop though. Is that due to development settings or just the way they come out? Is that a Phase back?

Don, I have no clue what you mean with cranky. I couldn't see what you were referring to there. On a different note, have you ever tried projecting your images to see what they would look like? I am not sure what the best route would be, but a full 1080p projector would be an interesting start. I would love to see some of your stuff projected large. The small images which fit on my laptop screen really don't convey the majesty of some of these images. I wonder if you could make free slideshows and make more print sales that way?

evgeny

Thanks!
I shot this with Aptus 65 and added portrait fixer + unsharp in CS4. I need to learn one day how to process portraits in CS4 in more professional way.

JimCollum

playing around with zoomify and an Aptus 75s/Mamiya 645/80mm lens

zoomify image

nifty little app that allows posting of full size images without fear of having them 'taken'

Status
Not open for further replies.