The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Allyn

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I spent the afternoon "working" a waterfall. One frame worked, though I need to clone out that twig in the water upper left! Mamiya 28 mm.
Bill
Bill,

It's a fine image. I agree with Stuart with regard to the twig. Of course, you should do as you like, but for me it's a natural part of the scene.

The online version is super sharp (a bit too much – probably due to the forum software I think) and I expect that your original is not so "edgy", but you could de-emphasize any sharpening on the twig as it would make sense that it might be a little misted or in slight movement in reality anyway.

Thanks for posting.

A

apneaimages

Added two more to my Industrial Observations Within the Western Landscape series that I posted here a little while back.
Amasing photos and really a great technic. Totaly curius about your processing.
I just love Green & yellow!!! This is really something special!!!

Hier 2 fashion photos with avialable light that i have shoot last week
Hasselblad H1, Phase One P30

Graham Mitchell

Lambis, very nice images and great to see some fashion in here :) My only criticism/suggestion would be that the blank wall in the second image is a little bright/jarring (imo) but if you wanted to fix it in post it wouldn't be hard.

jlm

Workshop Member

i am surprised after the responses about over-processing in the hasselblad thread that no one has an issue with the post processed vignetting in the two jva images. while i like the images, the vignetting seems a bit too much to my eye

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill,

It's a fine image. I agree with Stuart with regard to the twig. Of course, you should do as you like, but for me it's a natural part of the scene.

The online version is super sharp (a bit too much – probably due to the forum software I think) and I expect that your original is not so "edgy", but you could de-emphasize any sharpening on the twig as it would make sense that it might be a little misted or in slight movement in reality anyway.

Thanks for posting.
Thank you all for your comments. Yes, Dale, the image seems to get over-sharpened on transfer to the thread. The original looks fine! And I'm going to leave the twig in!

Bill

J

jmvdigital

i am surprised after the responses about over-processing in the hasselblad thread that no one has an issue with the post processed vignetting in the two jva images. while i like the images, the vignetting seems a bit too much to my eye
I suspect the difference is that most of the Hasselblad images are commercial, and are more considered a traditional photograph. I consider myself an artist, and my work, art. Therefore, I don't give a crap about the norms of vignetting, scene color accuracy, or what I clone out or leave in. I do what I want to create the mood and the image I want, not what it "should" be.

Some people like "real" photography to be more conservative and traditional, some don't.

-J

jlm

Workshop Member

i tried to make my comment serve as constructive criticism, sorry if it hit a nerve. I'm not questioning your artistic license here.

i hope c&c remains welcome on this forum as always

J

jmvdigital

i tried to make my comment serve as constructive criticism, sorry if it hit a nerve. I'm not questioning your artistic license here.

i hope c&c remains welcome on this forum as always
No worries. I was just making a point about the intentions of my work versus others perhaps. C&C remains welcome and encouraged on all of the work I post. I just wanted to make it clear that while I do photograph, I don't adhere to all of the "norms" about what a traditional photograph should be.

Stuart Richardson

Also, I think I should really clarify my point. I don't mind the kind of thing Justin is doing at all -- this is a clear artistic intention. He is making the colors and processing the way he does because he is coming at his work with a specific look in mind, doing what looks good to him. My point was more directed towards cloning or removing objects just because of some idea that "that's just how it's done". If there is a specific artistic goal in removing something or modifying the photo, I have no problem with that at all.

I just feel like doing a digital cleaning of the landscape (or face) just for the sake of removing all the untidy bits often has more of a negative effect than a positive one. This sort of thing makes it look like you are taking a picture of someone's garden rather than of a real landscape, or in the case of people, that you are photographing a doll rather than someone who has actually lived a life. And of course, this is just my own preference. I am not a down the line "straight photographer", I just don't think you should change stuff unless you have a clear objective in mind.

Edit: And Jan, thanks very much for the compliments! Please forward your comments to the tourist board. I could use the extra cash!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Went to photograph a waterfall for a calendar today - this seems to be my week for falls! First is the standard picture postcard shot, P45+ and 28 mm.View attachment 17598

The next is more what I wanted.
View attachment 17599

And this is better.

And another view...View attachment 17601

But while I was shooting, this old (note the moss on his back) Snapping Turtle emerged from the water right at my feet. Some kind of art critic I guess.
Bill
View attachment 17602

Last edited:
D

ddk

I was one of the first to comment that I was surprised about the amount the processing done to those images but I didn't mean that they were all bad. There are some incredible images in the portrait section which I loved, just didn't think that they qualified as one would call portraits, more fine art than anything else. The wedding section looked more like fashion shots than brides and grooms.

As far as Justin's images go, I don't see them as heavily processed at all, they're very minimalist in their approach, vignetting and blue tint are basic and traditional processes imo.

tashley

Subscriber Member
New studio lighting rig and a monopod day

Evening everyone!

I took delivery last week of some Bowens Gemini 500R lights and picked up a 2 metre Bowens Wafer softbox on eBay too - I've always hated - really hated - flash and studio light but I have to bow to the demands of the real world! I thought I'd get off to a comfortable start by doing some personal work. A branch of dog roses from my garden first, using the 80mm Phase lens on a Mammy 401 extender and then the first of what will be an endless series: identically lit and composed portraits of everyone who visits my house. Everyone! The lights are set up all the time and the shots can be done in seconds using that standard 80mm lens at F7.1 though I will now up that to F9. It was a challenge finding a light that would be neutral but interesting, work for men and women and people of all ages and ethnicites but I quite like this setup... what do others think? I'm a novice at this studio lark...

View attachment 17786

View attachment 17785

Next up, a shot of a local equine event this morning. I used a monopod all morning and got some good shots (posted here is one I like) but I also got bitten in the rear by the fact that even at F9, the 28mm doesn't have enough DOF to focus on both a horse being held on a halter and its owner doing the holding but placed a coupla feet behind. Sheeesh, how many times do I need to learn these lessons!? Nonetheless the monopod (a manfrotto 679) is a great, light way of steadying and levelling. I'll use it a lot more for this sort of thing.

View attachment 17787

C and C always welcome!

Best

Tim

Stuart Richardson

The quality of light is nice Tim, but there are two things that struck me, that you might want to consider.
1. You appear to be getting some perspective distortion with your 80mm lens. Do you have a longer lens? If not, you might consider moving back a bit and cropping. As it is now, it seems like there is some exaggeration of features from the rather wide angle. Were you around 1.5 to 1m away?
2. You might also want to lower one of the lights slightly to get better fill in the eyes. Right now it looks like there are some shadows under the eye, and the eyes themselves are darker than the rest of the face.

But I do like the photos -- the lighting works very well with the first photo, and barring the comments on the second, it is a very nice shot. The color, contrast and processing look great. Of course, the expression is very nice as well.

tashley

Subscriber Member

The quality of light is nice Tim, but there are two things that struck me, that you might want to consider.
1. You appear to be getting some perspective distortion with your 80mm lens. Do you have a longer lens? If not, you might consider moving back a bit and cropping. As it is now, it seems like there is some exaggeration of features from the rather wide angle. Were you around 1.5 to 1m away?
2. You might also want to lower one of the lights slightly to get better fill in the eyes. Right now it looks like there are some shadows under the eye, and the eyes themselves are darker than the rest of the face.

But I do like the photos -- the lighting works very well with the first photo, and barring the comments on the second, it is a very nice shot. The color, contrast and processing look great. Of course, the expression is very nice as well.

Stuart, thank you: that is genuinely useful advice and it's much appreciated.

I do have a 150mm but it's MF only and focus is so critical in these situations that I'd rather not work without AF. The shot is already cropped but I was about 1.5 to 2 metres away. I have to say that with no disrespect to my subject, he does have a facial arrangement that might look perspective distorted in any event but I guess I could either step back a bit more and crop a bit more, or get more glass (sigh!) or use my 5DII which would rather undermine the point of the Phase gear!

I figured that the 80mm lens is not a '50mm equivalent' for my needs here: sure it has that equivalent FOV but its perspective and DOF are those of an 80mm lens. Guess I got that wrong! I by and large don't take pictures of people and have never shot in studio conditions before so this is all gonna take some time! I just worry that the DOF at F7.1 is so narrow on the 80mm at this distance that using a longer lens would exacerbate the issue.

Thanks again Stuart!

Tim

jlm

Workshop Member

the light to the right is about 1 stop too hot, but the l/r balance is good, might want to underexpose a stop

carstenw

Nice portrait. Can you use a larger softbox slightly further away or some other minor mod? He has hot spots right where the horns would be, if you know what I mean :)

On the portrait, it feels to me like you are basically lighting the subject with a softbox on either side of the subject at very steep angles. I actually like this setup quite a bit when the person is in profile, not facing the camera, but when they're straight to camera, I feel it adds a certain sinister character that is probably not what you are going for. One of my favorite lights for your composition is a softbox directly behind camera and a little high... gives nice definition to cheekbones, leaves the sides of the face more in shadow which I feel gives the subject a more inviting character....

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.