The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paratom

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I have had the laptop since the late fall, but have only used it for editing for part of that time. I guess it is high time for me to profile it again :)

Here is another shot from the magical forest:

View attachment 18885
I think the tonal transitions in this image to be very subtile- probably something which would be much harder to achieve with a DSLR. WHich lens did you use?

eleanorbrown

Oh my gosh, this image is awesome, totally awesome. (did I say I liked the image?? :) Beautifully done. Eleanor

I dont see the problem so much when shooting from a tripod, I was speaking about handheld.
The follwoing image was the 110 handhold at f2.0 and I think the image has enough DOF/sharpness for my taste:

Frank Doorhof

Some images that were shot yesterday.

Greetings,
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

gogopix

Subscriber

I'm finding it difficult to appreciate any of the images here due to small size. Is there a way to show a 1920x1200 say? Many have large monitors. I suppose I could link to a site I have , then you could see all 9000x of an image!:D but I use Coppermine and I don't know how to get to a specific image.
I know Jack helped once get an image quite large; it involved putting in gallery and linking back here. by clicking twice, one could see the orriginal size (or close)

regards
Victor

Don Libby

Just did this on the fly waiting for a client to show. Not too sure if I like it but thought I'd share.

Don

A

Alexander Bauer

I'm finding it difficult to appreciate any of the images here due to small size.

regards
Victor
I agree

for example Don/Iron Creek is usually posting some amazing images but when you click on it you can't appreciate it as much as it deserves to be appreciated.

but some of the ones that Guy posted recently are stunning images:thumbup:

to my taste Guy improved his processing formula substantially and i can see a huge difference :salute:

I just don't know who to blame yet for that Jack skills or Guys effort :p
or the fact that they don't have their own instructional video at least part one :thumbup:

cause' if I go with Phase I would love to be able to process files without leaving those traces/processing effects.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I'm finding it difficult to appreciate any of the images here due to small size. Is there a way to show a 1920x1200 say? Many have large monitors. I suppose I could link to a site I have , then you could see all 9000x of an image!:D but I use Coppermine and I don't know how to get to a specific image.
I know Jack helped once get an image quite large; it involved putting in gallery and linking back here. by clicking twice, one could see the orriginal size (or close)

regards
Victor
Uh, the little image is a clickable thumbnail -- you click on it and depending on your browser it will either open to full size or to fit your current browser window. Usually, if that happens, the cursor will be a littl plus sign meaning you need to click once more to go to full size.

At present, you can post *attached* images up to 1250x2000 pixels this way -- larger ones will get sized to 1250x2000 max. For larger, post them in the gallery or host them on your own server and link to them using the embed photo icon -- sun over mountain -- in the post toolbar...

Bottom line Victor is you can post them as large as you want, just we limit *attached* image sizes to 1250x2000 to keep the forum moving fast. You can post via an embedded link to any size you want...

A

Alexander Bauer

Uh, the little image is a clickable thumbnail -- you click on it and depending on your browser it will either open to full size or to fit your current browser window. Usually, if that happens, the cursor will be a littl plus sign meaning you need to click once more to go to full size.
that is what I thought.

I tried that with Don's latest image but it's probably image it self that's small.

Don Libby

The image I attached is a smaller version of the original. I just double clicked the image and it open to twice the size of the thumbnail. I might need to make the images a little larger but at the same time I also need to protect it as well.

Don

Qamaro

Guy,

That shot is great. I love the tones, the overall exposure and just mood of the image.

Frank,

Like the new work the first couple are a little different lighting than I've seen you've use for posts in the past. It's more than likely the graduated background. Keep innovating though!

Ok back to waiting for the fireworks show to begin in another 40 minutes.

-Marq

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I use a action that Jack made for the forum which you can get for a very small fee and helps the forum maintenance but you could do a save for web. This is a P30+ file so 186 mg 16 bit Tiff is the original. Really liking the P30+ even when I am doing the landscape stuff I am getting great detail. I really needed the higher ISO over the P25+ and you will see that in 2 weeks when I do another model and talent show in NY. There it's all stage lighting and that extra stop comes in handy. What I would love to have though for that gig especially is the P40+ with the sensor plus since i really don't need a 31mpx file size for it. In reality the P40+ is the answer for me , but that is going to have to wait until business picks up more. I'm actually pretty damn happy with my gear which is rare usually I am looking for the greener grass.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I might need to make the images a little larger but at the same time I also need to protect it as well.

Don
Don is really stating THE point folks: If you post it large enough so it fills a 30" display, I can easily grab it and print it large and it will look pretty darn awesome. Even at 1200 pixels, I can make a very usable 12" print from a web jpeg. At 900 pixels, it gets tougher, though I can still produce a usable 8" print.

So, if you want to reasonably protect your web images without watermarking them across the middle, keep them to 900 pixels max. If you want to protect them and show them larger, then watermark them. Here I recommend creating a signature stamp, keeping it smaller, but stamping it in several places in the image -- easier on the eyes than a single huge signature across the middle, and very tough to clone out...

Don Libby

Don is really stating THE point folks: If you post it large enough so it fills a 30" display, I can easily grab it and print it large and it will look pretty darn awesome. Even at 1200 pixels, I can make a very usable 12" print from a web jpeg. At 900 pixels, it gets tougher, though I can still produce a usable 8" print.

So, if you want to reasonably protect your web images without watermarking them across the middle, keep them to 900 pixels max. If you want to protect them and show them larger, then watermark them. Here I recommend creating a signature stamp, keeping it smaller, but stamping it in several places in the image -- easier on the eyes than a single huge signature across the middle, and very tough to clone out...
Thanks Jack

I like to show a combination of images here; what I like to call "throw always" are those I'll post larger sometime with and sometime with a watermark. Then there are the one's I'm serious about. These will be posted as smaller images to give you the idea without being able to capture and print with any real success.

I've hear from people who have taken our images watermark and all and use them as screen savers. I was pissed at first then I figured it was a form of unpaid advertizing. Sandy overheard a guy at a show a couple years ago brag how he just prints images off the web without buying them. She walked up to him and said to "so what you're saying is you are a theft".

We just produced a DVD show for the gallery (you can see a sample on our blog) that I made sure was as locked down as possible and still watermarked all the images.

You have to be safe with your images as there are just too many people out there that will think nothing of grabbing them and using them for their own profit while you get nothing.

Take this for what it's worth - I'm writing while having my first cup of coffee after a long night.

Don

I will continue to share images in both sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.