The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

carstenw

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

My 2c about the brouhaha: the images aren't particularly my cup of tea, but I don't think they should be censored in any way. I can understand why Jack wants to put nudes behind a link (which isn't censoring, ddk, just inconvenience for some combined with the ability of others to choose not to see them), although I don't understand why nudes offend some, to be honest.

Eleanor, I see where you are coming from, but to be honest, you will find these images everywhere. For every person who is tired of seeing them, there is one who loves them. LL is no exception. I would just wrinkle your brow and scroll down when you see something that doesn't appeal.

Bob, I might be wrong, but I would guess that what fanned the flames was more the various comments following the posting than the first image by itself, which is only slightly suggestive.

jlm

Workshop Member

i'm with carsten and eleanor.

the repulsive part was the insulting tone and personal prejudice from T and T, the personal remarks about the photographer and the few mens' barroom comments (which have appeared before)

otoh, in general on this forum there are not enough negatively critical (constructive) comments. too much use of "awesome, beautiful, etc..." which though supportive, ends up with little helpful direction.

D

ddk

in general on this forum there are not enough negatively critical (constructive) comments. too much use of "awesome, beautiful, etc..." which though supportive, ends up with little helpful direction.
I too believe that honest, straight forward criticism is a lot more valuable than empty praise, the trick is keeping it straight and subjective and avoid making it personal.

anGy

Tex, read that 1000 times:
"I don't care if the women are lesbian... so what ?"

Unbelievable, so narrow-minded people still exist in our (almost) nice and educated little free world...

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Kurt - the first black and white is inspiring, I can learn much from this image.

jimban

Hi-

Here's a whimsical front fence which asks the age old question:

Is smurf human cohabitation a sin?

jim

stephengilbert

"The trick is keeping it straight and subjective and avoid making it personal."

I think the problem is more complicated than that. I find that when "political" issues come up, or at least issues that some consider to be political, people get very emotional. I know I've sometimes read things that caused me to reconsider my feelings about posters, sometimes thinking that the person was more intelligent and enlightened than I'd thought, sometimes the opposite.

I found Eleanor's response to the brouhaha over Bob's photos interesting. One point it raised is that photographs, and comments about them, may insult their subjects. I agree that the personal attack on Bob was unwarranted and out of line, but I think that Eleanor's right* when she says that sometimes we need to defend the subject as well as the artist.

* If that's what she meant.

KeithL

For what it's worth, my comment on Bob's image was intended to match the photographic genre; tacky.

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Kurt - the first black and white is inspiring, I can learn much from this image.
+1 (or rather +2)

The first two shots show that not every MF shot has to be focus-stacked, HDR'd and processed to hills. I like the whimsical nature of these selective focus landscapes and think I might have to stea--- I mean borrow this technique in the future. And the thrid shot is no slouch, either.

Great stuff as always, Kurt. :thumbup:

David

eleanorbrown

I've received a number of email messages about this forum so I'll respond here......Once one enters into the world of medium format digital it's a given that a significant percentage of users are male that make their living photographing high stakes big time high fashion. Fashion is absolutely not all bad but there is enough "stuff' out there that turns women into "objects" in the name of "art", uh...money.....so much so that it gets really old really fast. What amazes me even more, is the number of men that find many of these over the top images "cool" with no regard to how it makes women appear......ie: lacking gray matter to start. I usually try to just ignore, but in this case several forum members brought up some issues so I chose to make a comment. I think Bob's image became somewhat "representative" of some of what is being done in fashion, tho it was mild compared to the the thousands of fashion images of stick figured mannequin looking women that appear as if they are going to a halloween party. Most real world thinking women (photographers included) I personally know don't think this is cool. Was there a subdued seductive component to Bob's image? of course, but this too is not uncommon in "art" fashion. Bottom line, images of women that turn them into stereotypes and objects are as common as grains of sand....just after a while, and i keep saying this, it gets old. End of subject from an opinionated photographer :) Eleanor

Uaiomex

I absolutely agree with you Eleanor, but no matter how many pictures like these are made, most men consume this stuff like geese being munched for paté de foie. We are guilty as charged.
Eduardo

I've received a number of email messages about this forum so I'll respond here......Once one enters into the world of medium format digital it's a given that a significant percentage of users are male that make their living photographing high stakes big time high fashion. Fashion is absolutely not all bad but there is enough "stuff' out there that turns women into "objects" in the name of "art", uh...money.....so much so that it gets really old really fast. What amazes me even more, is the number of men that find many of these over the top images "cool" with no regard to how it makes women appear......ie: lacking gray matter to start. I usually try to just ignore, but in this case several forum members brought up some issues so I chose to make a comment. I think Bob's image became somewhat "representative" of some of what is being done in fashion, tho it was mild compared to the the thousands of fashion images of stick figured mannequin looking women that appear as if they are going to a halloween party. Most real world thinking women (photographers included) I personally know don't think this is cool. Was there a subdued seductive component to Bob's image? of course, but this too is not uncommon in "art" fashion. Bottom line, images of women that turn them into stereotypes and objects are as common as grains of sand....just after a while, and i keep saying this, it gets old. End of subject from an opinionated photographer :) Eleanor

gogopix

Subscriber

In a lighter vein

what happens when the bridge rotates with the mountain guide!:ROTFL:

(this led to LOTS of rock jumping.)

P65:ROTFL:+ cropped

Last edited:
D

ddk

Just some out takes from last week . All shot under tungsten stage lighting all at ISO 800 with a P30+ back. For me this was why I went from the P25+ to the P30+ was to gain that extra stop even though not at ISO 1600 the ISO 800 are just deadly quiet on noise. Shot with various lenses but the tight stuff is the Mamiya 300mm wide open and deadly sharp to boot. I used continuous AF on these and hardly missed. The AFDIII may not be a Canon on speed with AF but it's ability to track focus is uncanny. I rarely miss
Guy, I guess your stuff lost out to all the lesbian talk and went unnoticed. I don't know your hit/miss rate but but what you post is damn good shooting MF at iso 800, specially when you mention the 300mm, and you don't even have a cube :eek:!!!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Thanks David , yea guess it all got lost in the sauce. Actually the 300mm shots are with a monopod no less. LOL

Thanks for noticiing

etrump

Thanks David , yea guess it all got lost in the sauce. Actually the 300mm shots are with a monopod no less. LOL

Thanks for noticiing
Guy, Shot with just stage lighting? The 300mm really gives them a 3d look, they jump off the screen.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Yes just stage lighting and yes the 300mm mamiya lens is the closet sleeper of a lens in the line and very reasonable priced

D

ddk

Eleanor, I'm trying to figure out who you have a beef with. Is it skinny women, the fashion and pin up world or men in general? Do you have a preference for images of chunky women over boney ones? What do you think of images where men are objectified?

Let me remind you that whatever opinions you have regarding objectified females in fashion photography, they are done for the consumption of women who buy those fashion magazines, and not men, including those of idealized and objectified young males! Fashion world and fashion photography isn't a good boys club the way you think of it, the industry is dominated by plenty of high powered women at every level including the very top.

Regarding Bob's images, fact is that the girls were happy to take his money and pose for him I don't really get why you're having a problem with it.

Funny thing is that the last time I had this conversation I was criticized for for using my subjects as objects rather than objectifying them as people, I'm still trying to figure that one out...

FYI, women photographers that I've had the pleasure of working with and learning from don't seem to have a chip on their shoulders and apparently neither does this lady photographer;

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13034&d=1236057234

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80519&postcount=3

To conclude, the real world thinking women in my life take offense when called common or stereo typical just because they're cool with female sexuality!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.